• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
GRRM talking to Digital Spy.

"The TV show has nothing to do with my progress or lack of it. It's its own thing," he said.

"I don't know, I have days where I make lots of progress, I have days where I make next to no progress, I have days where I think I'm going backwards because I don't like what I wrote yesterday.

"So I've given up making any predictions on that. I'm just writing it and when it's done, it'll be done."

I'm beginning to doubt a 2015 release.

I'd only skip the show if we had a release date or finish announcement for TWOW by the time it starts. This season shouldn't be super spoilery anyway.

Pluto

Assuming it's not out by next spring, I think I'm going to have to skip the next season of GoT.
There's no point in skipping the season, the show is so popular you won't be able to avoid spoilers for long. Let's say Dany is killed and fed to Drogon, do you really think the internet will not explode 5 minutes later?
I prefer to watch the show and get the books spoiled that way than not watch the show and get spoiled anyway.

I'd only skip the show if we had a release date or finish announcement for TWOW by the time it starts. This season shouldn't be super spoilery anyway.
They're going to start adapting TWOW, how can the season not be spoilery?

They're going to start adapting TWOW, how can the season not be spoilery?
The only storylines that I expect will surpass ADWD are Bran and Sansa. Maybe Dorne. And we have no idea whether they'll actually be doing book material or just inventing their own stuff. We already know that
Jaime is spending this season on an invented arc
for example.

A Spring release isn't happening.

I know. That's why I said "Assuming it's not out by next spring..."

There's no point in skipping the season, the show is so popular you won't be able to avoid spoilers for long. Let's say Dany is killed and fed to Drogon, do you really think the internet will not explode 5 minutes later?
I prefer to watch the show and get the books spoiled that way than not watch the show and get spoiled anyway.

Part of not watching the show any further is avoiding book spoilers, but another part is that I just don't like it as much as I once did. They've really made some dumb changes from the books for no logical reason, and I think it's to the show's detriment.

It will obviously be difficult to avoid spoilers, but I'll give it the old college try.

The only storylines that I expect will surpass ADWD are Bran and Sansa. Maybe Dorne. And we have no idea whether they'll actually be doing book material or just inventing their own stuff. We already know that
Jaime is spending this season on an invented arc
for example.

I don't know how anyone could think that the next season won't be super spoilery. We're all caught up in the Bran storyline, and unless that plot comes to a screeching halt, we're bound to get some pretty huge spoilers.

And since that storyline delves deeply into the Ice and Fire world's mythology, we're potentially talking about some really massive stuff.

q_q

I don't know how anyone could think that the next season won't be super spoilery. We're all caught up in the Bran storyline, and unless that plot comes to a screeching halt, we're bound to get some pretty huge spoilers.

And since that storyline delves deeply into the Ice and Fire world's mythology, we're potentially talking about some really massive stuff.
Why do you assume they know what grrms plans for the story are? Even if they did know, it seems like theyre breaking further and further from the books that it would be difficult to know if there are going to be spoilers for the books in these seasons. Unless i missed something where the showrunners stated otherwise.

q_q

Because he told them his series plans?
He told them some thigs sure, but i doubt, given his style as a "gardener," hed be able to give them specifics even if he wanted to. I know he has given them some info like how tyrions story ends, but i also remember him saying something about them going in their own direction starting next season. Who is to say what they do will also happen in the books?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Well, we have very little idea how much he has even written. The 2015 dream is based on his free schedule, we just have to hope he makes good progress in the next couple of months or things will look grim.
I read this as grrm. The meaning was unchanged.

Showaddy

He told them some thigs sure, but i doubt, given his style as a "gardener," hed be able to give them specifics even if he wanted to. I know he has given them some info like how tyrions story ends, but i also remember him saying something about them going in their own direction starting next season. Who is to say what they do will also happen in the books?

The framework of the completed story is already in place and GRRM is just filling it out at this point, especially when it comes to Winds as that's on it's 2nd or 3rd draft by now. No doubt the showrunner's wont get all the tiny details, rich background & hundreds of minor characters but that sort of thing was never particularly relevant to the show anyway.

Exactly.

Gurm can't even tell HBO how Winds content is going to pan out because the man doesn't even know whats going to happen.

Some days he feels like he's going backwards. He may find himself in another "knot" and have to re-write a thousand pages.

He's prolly told HBO stuff along the lines of: Dany gets killed by.... Tyrion dies at .... Jon Snow's fate is....

It's up to HBO to fill in the blanks. I think we really are going to have two different beasts going forward in HBO vs the Books.

So any update on TWOW so far?

Release wise? No. Information wise...

Within the last month or two we've learned:

-The prologue will feature
Jeyne Westerling
, although she will not be the actual POV of it.
-Martin reiterated that we will meet Willas Tyrell and he'll play a role. In the past Martin has said the Tyrells will be a major factor in the final books.
-Martin said that POV characters will begin merging in TWOW, thus allowing him to kill many off
-Tyrion and Dany will meet in some form or fashion

“Well, Tyrion and Dany will intersect, in a way, but for much of the book they’re still apart,” he says. “They both have quite large roles to play here. Tyrion has decided that he actually would like to live, for one thing, which he wasn’t entirely sure of during the last book, and he’s now working toward that end—if he can survive the battle that’s breaking out all around him. And Dany has embraced her heritage as a Targaryen and embraced the Targaryen words. So they’re both coming home.”
http://shelf-life.ew.com/2014/06/26/george-r-r-martin-winds-winter-tease/

-More weddings

Acidote

I love the guy and we haven't even seen him yet. Hope he's a total bastard.

He might not be a cruel monster, a total bastard or whatever, but considering Olenna Tyrell has a way better opinion of him than she has of her own son I'm pretty sure the Gurm will depict him as a powerful character (In the sense of how he is, not that he carries power over armies, etc). Someone you understand is intelligent and cunning as soon as you read him.

Brakke

Banned
I love the guy and we haven't even seen him yet. Hope he's a total bastard.

Haha. I'm kind of in the same boat with Howland Reed. I want him to throw off his High Sparrow's garb and declare Peace and Justice for All The Realms in the name of Noble Ned.

But also it would be delicious if he was a complete prick.

Iksenpets

Banned
Haha. I'm kind of in the same boat with Howland Reed. I want him to throw off his High Sparrow's garb and declare Peace and Justice for All The Realms in the name of Noble Ned.

But also it would be delicious if he was a complete prick.

Howland is actually an asshole whose attempts at douchbaggery always backfire and end up helping everyone out. He tried to betray Ned at the Tower of Joy by tripping him, only to accidentally knock him out of the way of Arthur Dayne's killing blow, inadvertently winning the battle. Then he got tired of his worthless kids freeloading off of him, so he kicked them out of his house, only to have them go help Bran on his journey. He hopes he'll finally be able to ruin someone's day when he reveals that damn bastard Jon Snow's real parentage in an attempt to get him executed for being a Targaryen.

Brakke

Banned
Howland is actually an asshole whose attempts at douchbaggery always backfire and end up helping everyone out. He tried to betray Ned at the Tower of Joy by tripping him, only to accidentally knock him out of the way of Arthur Dayne's killing blow, inadvertently winning the battle. Then he got tired of his worthless kids freeloading off of him, so he kicked them out of his house, only to have them go help Bran on his journey. He hopes he'll finally be able to ruin someone's day when he reveals that damn bastard Jon Snow's real parentage in an attempt to get him executed for being a Targaryen.

It would be great if this is how it played out. Would serve me right for expecting something Noble or Righteous out of anyone at this point.

I think the main pleasure of the work is that the reader almost never gets what they want, but there's always just enough hope there. Look at the battles George chooses to write. We rarely get to see our heroes wade into glorious battle, meting out visceral justice. We never get Robb in battle on "screen", but we're always told he's formidable hero so there's always hope we'll see it happen. Jorah, Barristan, Belwas infiltrate Meereen off "screen". Tyrion spends all his battles on his ass. Jon's most glorious victory was executed coolly from atop the Wall and was more a function of clever planning than force of indomitable will.

So many of your glorious badasses are people like Victarion and The Mannis. It'd be so cathartic to watch a Good Guy fight heroically on a field but we rarely (never?) see that happen.

Morokh

Just finished ADWD.

What happens to Jon .... did not see that coming ....

Also Brienne appearing ? I have a year and a half pause between ADWD and the last, but I remember leaving her in a very bad spot (even assumed she was dead) Lord of Light shenanigans ? or my memory fails me ?

Tyrion still such a great character !

TWOW can't come soon enough ;)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Just finished ADWD.

What happens to Jon .... did not see that coming ....

Also Brienne appearing ? I have a year and a half pause between ADWD and the last, but I remember leaving her in a very bad spot (even assumed she was dead) Lord of Light shenanigans ? or my memory fails me ?

Tyrion still such a great character !

TWOW can't come soon enough ;)
Go back and read Brienne's last chapter to remind yourself what happened and it should make it obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom