• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A taste of next gen gaming.. (3d mark 2005 videos)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Man... that's crazy. The nature video, and that monster... just crazy.

Thanks for the videos. I have no way of running this, so this was the only way to see it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I still say that the airship scene is one of the most breathtaking scenes i have ever seen in computer animation or realtime graphics.

Man.

So next gen will be all about the huge environments. I cant wait to see what some of the Japanese developers will come up with.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The funny thing is, in some ways, the nature scene from even 3D Mark 2002 (released in 2001) has not yet been beat with a simillar in-game scene in every way, artistically and technically.

DopeyFish

Marconelly said:
The funny thing is, in some ways, the nature scene from even 3D Mark 2002 (released in 2001) has not yet been beat with a simillar in-game scene in every way, artistically and technically.

you mean 3dmark03 which came out in like february'03?

3dmark 2001 came out in march of 2001, which has been absolutely pwned :p

Slo

Minor point, there was no 3DMark 2002. There was 99, 2000,01,03, and 05.

But I agree, people should not expect "next-gen" console games to look as good as these games. It's debatable as to whether we've yet to see games approaching the graphics seen in the 3DMark2001 nature demo.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
you mean 3dmark03 which came out in like february'03?

3dmark 2001 came out in march of 2001, which has been absolutely pwned :p
3D mark 03's nature scene is definitely not matched, that's hardly even up to discussion.

I meant 3D mark 2001. That one was the first to have a nature scene, with those trees and the little house and water, right? I don't know of a game that has matched that both artistically and technically. Farcry does not qualify, IMO, as it's just pretty generic looking. MGS3 looks better artistically, but I don't think it's there technically.

Here's the scene I'm talking about:

3D mark 2001
3DMark2001_Screenshot_07.jpg

Here's the nature scene from 3D Mark 2003:

3DMark03_Screenshot_09.jpg

3DMark03_Screenshot_10.jpg

Far Cry is pretty close to the 2001 nature demo.
Unfortunately the technology to run it wasn't available until 3 years after 3dmark2001 came out.

So computers that can run these demos will probably be around 2008 :(

Elios83

The airship movie is similar in quality to FF9's FMV (and I think that was their inspiration).
I expect PS3 and Xbox2 games to look at least as good as what we can see in these movies.

Slo

Elios83 said:
The airship movie is similar in quality to FF9's FMV (and I think that was their inspiration).
I expect PS3 and Xbox2 games to look at least as good as what we can see in these movies.

Elios83

Slo said:

Hey I'm just optimistic :D but not that much after all.
These things run,even if only in tech demo form,in real time on current hardware and I expect next gen consoles to be much powerful than what we have today.
So I don't think it's too much to expect next gen consoles to handle this in real time gameplay situations.

DopeyFish

here's my best description:

3dmark 2001 was designed for the Geforce 3/4 (about 30fps) 3dmark03 was designed for the FX (about 30fps sans the wings of fury test) and 3dmark05 hits about 30fps.

The thing about this though is with Xbox, you were using a shitty ass CPU which severely limited your power. you can tell (via the ORB) a p3 733 vs a p4 2.4 ghz is almost 4x on the p4 ti4200. With Xbox2, not only will it be a whole generation higher than the top end on 3dmark05 at the time being, the processor is going to be absolutely overkill. (especially when compared to what people are using today)

I say, expect these type of graphics.

Yusaku

I hate that only return to proxicon is watchable in demo mode. I want the airship one with some nice music.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Elios83 said:

I'd say that is very possible...

They may even go further...

I'm not so sure that looks as good as FF9's FMV, though. Close, in many ways, but it isn't quite there yet. Especially when you take the water into consideration (which looks nice, but is still entirely flat).

Elios83

dark10x said:
I'd say that is very possible...

They may even go further...

I'm not so sure that looks as good as FF9's FMV, though. Close, in many ways, but it isn't quite there yet...

In fact,similar I said,lighting and general detail isn't quite there ;)

Mashing

Elios83 said:

Absolutely no chance of that... atleast at acceptable framerates

Chittagong

Gold Member
Too bad the compression factor is so high that I can't really have a good look at the textures. The battlescene is fantastic. Just think of Halo 3 with such, almost like having toys shoot each other => wet pants.

DopeyFish

Mashing said:

why not?

current systems at high end are operating at only a fraction of the processing power that both ps3 and xbox 2 will have.

one less generation in graphics, 1/3 the processor power (though the fsb might be higher in the o/c'd machines)

Elios83

Mashing said:

Ehhe wait till Sony will demo Advent Children in real time on PS3 OMG OMG :D :D

Joking apart I hope you know that even a 512Gigaflops system with a good shading engine (which is about half what PS3 is supposed to deliver) simply smokes every current configuration.And this movies run in real time on current configurations.

dark10x

Mashing said:

How can you say that?

You are shooting much too low here. Surely you have not forgotten the fact that new consoles always spank the living shit out of whatever you can get on the PC at the current time. That's just how it has always been...

Pimpbaa

Mashing said:

And why is that? Considering the cpu power will be much greater than whats currently available, and the graphics processor 1 or 2 generations ahead. Achieving similar graphics at 30fps or more for next gen consoles should be no problem.

Mashing

You have to remember that the demo's in 3DMark are lacking quite a few processing requirements that a game has. Things like AI, pathfinding, etc... it's closer to FMV than actual in game assets (even though it's using the "in game" engine). How many games do you know that have FMV have gameplay graphics that look even remotely close to the FMV sequences (I'm not talking about cutscenes rendered with in game models).

Unless I'm completely off base here.

dark10x

Mashing said:
You have to remember that the demo's in 3DMark are lacking quite a few processing requirements that a game has. Things like AI, pathfinding, etc... it's closer to FMV than actual in game assets (even though it's using the "in game" engine). How many games do you know that have FMV have gameplay graphics that look even remotely close to the FMV sequences (I'm not talking about cutscenes rendered with in game models).

What does the FMV comment have to do with anything?

I still think you are simply aiming too low here. Consider when those consoles are being launched (roughly) and how long they need to survive...

I'd be willing to be that they'll be able to handle that at full speed.

Elios83

Mashing said:

Unless I'm completely off base here.

It's exactly for this that I'm aiming at the quality of these movies in real time gameplay situations.
What we have today running only as tech demo will run tomorrow in real games,it's the minimum we can expect.

Hooker

I got 2379 points, which is pretty good according to Tre.

The new nature scene is fucking awesome, the little green wisp going through the woods and all. The airship was kinda dissapointing (also gave me the best framerate, around 14 :p)

And the amount of particles flying around in the battle scene when the chaingun-guy starts shooting is just INSANE!!

Mashing

I do hope we can get games that look this next generation... but I'm being a realist... I don't think we'll see them looking like at the earliest 4th generation games on xbox2/ps3/revolution.

DopeyFish

Mashing said:
I do hope we can get games that look this next generation... but I'm being a realist... I don't think we'll see them looking like at the earliest 4th generation games on xbox2/ps3/revolution.

you're actually being conserved, and not being a realist :p

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
dark1x said:
What does the FMV comment have to do with anything?
Well, FMVs, like these demos, are rigged to look their best along a predefined camera path for a set of predefined animations.

While an interactive game will have about the equal amount of bad and good looking angles on average - an FMV or a demo like this pretty much just shows the best looking angles.
It's not that what's technicaly done can't be matched - it's just not going to look That good all along.

dark10x

Mashing said:

You aren't thinking ahead, though...

If the new hardware was about to be released or something, I could see why you would say that...but consider the fact that we may not see most of the new hardware until 2006. From that point of launch, the hardware would need to remain strong enough to last for at least 4-5 years. If this was beyond the capabilities of 2006 hardware intended to last for years, then we have no hope...

Every gen has proven that new consoles will go WAY beyond anything on the PC at the time of release. I don't think anything will be different this time around...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
given how much *this* generation has surprised me in terms of graphical quality, I certainly expect graphics like this at one point or another next generation..

When I ran the demo for the 1st time, that was my hope: That the next gen consoles could do this is 60fps @1080i.

That said, I was pretty unimpressed by the Morrowind pictures in the latest Game Informer magazine. If that's all the next gen is gonna give us, I'm not impressed. The forest demo was much more impressive than the Morrowind forest pictures.

Edit: The game was using the Unreal 3 engine.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"Hey I'm just optimistic but not that much after all.
These things run,even if only in tech demo form,in real time on current hardware and I expect next gen consoles to be much powerful than what we have today."

I agree with you, but I think better.

That video was a compressed 640x480 with no AA. With a new card at 1024x764 with AA, it blows FF9 videos away. Also, PSone ran video at like 15 fps.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
It's "just" a tech demo. A taste of next-gen gaming would be a video of a playable game. Yes, it looks nice and all, but in reality this is, for me, no more game than your average pre-rendered cutscene in games this gen.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Cool vids. Some time ago I saw another nex-gen video mark thingie, I think after seeing it here on GAF. It also featured an Airship and some giant sea creatures, but it was different from this one. Anyone any idea where I can find it? I watched it back then (couple of weeks ago I think) but didn't save it :/.

Arcticfox

ravingloon said:
When I ran the demo for the 1st time, that was my hope: That the next gen consoles could do this is 60fps @1080i.

That said, I was pretty unimpressed by the Morrowind pictures in the latest Game Informer magazine. If that's all the next gen is gonna give us, I'm not impressed. The forest demo was much more impressive than the Morrowind forest pictures.

Edit: The game was using the Unreal 3 engine.
Elder Scrolls 4 does not use the Unreal 3 engine, and I think the forest shots looked good enough for me. I doubt the 3DMark forest would look as good if it was during the day.

Forsete

Shit that was impressive, especially the nature thing. o_O

My GF4 Ti42 cant play this, cant wait for the new computer. :D

Arcticfox said:
Elder Scrolls 4 does not use the Unreal 3 engine, and I think the forest shots looked good enough for me. I doubt the 3DMark forest would look as good if it was during the day.

I'll admit I only skimmed the article on the newstand, but I thought that's what they said it was licensing.

dark10x

That video was a compressed 640x480 with no AA. With a new card at 1024x764 with AA, it blows FF9 videos away. Also, PSone ran video at like 15 fps.

What we saw was only 15 fps and in low-res, but the actual content in that FF9 video is still quite superior to what 3Dmark is offering. That is, the assets used in the 3DMark05 demos are simply not as detailed as those in the FF9 CG.

Arcticfox

ravingloon said:
I'll admit I only skimmed the article on the newstand, but I thought that's what they said it was licensing.
The article said nothing about the engine the game is using. There has been no official word on what engine it is using, but people in the know have stated that it is definitely not the Unreal 3 engine.

thorns

Banned
He said he can run the demos at around 15fps.. but when making the video the program takes all the time it can to make the video, so the video is not really recorded in real time.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
The water shader in the GT3 demo is pretty nice but there are no water dynamics to speak of. I'm not terribly impressed by the shadows in 3d Mark 2005 either.

Top Bottom