• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A timeline of trend chasing and fads in gaming

Worst trend/fad in gaming history

• Pong clones (1970-)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Mascot platformers (1986-)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FMV games (1992-)

Votes: 16 6.9%
  • Fighting games (1992-)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arena shooters (1996-)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • MMOs (2004-)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Bald space marines (2006-)

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Motion controls (2006-)

Votes: 34 14.6%
  • MOBAs (2008-)

Votes: 16 6.9%
  • VR (2016-)

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Live Service/GAAS (?-)

Votes: 126 54.1%
  • Cloud streaming (2011-)

Votes: 22 9.4%

• Total voters
No. What we remember is how much development time has been wasted on producing GaaS games that could have gone into making single player experiences that you buy once, and enjoy for as long as you wish, without having to pay out more and more money to greedy games companies.

You’re only proving my point. Most GaaS don’t require you to pay “more and more money”. You’re just thinking of the bad ones.

Congrats on completely ignoring the main point, which is how much time has been wasted on GaaS games that could've been spent making something else.

If a GaaS game is getting continued support for extended amounts of time, then it’s something people apparently want. You might not like service games but that doesn’t mean the devs should have spent the time making something else, that’s just silly.

That’s like me, who hates JRPG’s, saying Altus wastes too much time making them. Imagine if they spent that time making games in genres that aren’t trash. But I don’t say that, because the games just aren’t for me but can still exist for those who do enjoy them.

Felessan

Gaas and live service only works in specific sitations but has been treated like the dominant format. Why? Cause scumbag corps want to monetize cosmetics and create an endless treadmill of useless activities. It doesn't even make sense for some of the concepts and IPs it has been stitched to.
It fails more times than it even succeeds or breaks even.
Kill that shit with fire now where it is seen as a viable format for specific projects and not fucking everything.
GaaS fails as much as any other games do.

GaaS is easily the worst thing to ever happen to the video games industry. And it's not even close compared to the next bad trend.
And easily one the best one. GaaS brought a lot of new genres and innovations into gameplay, that widely used everywhere now.

FunkMiller

That’s like me, who hates JRPG’s, saying Altus wastes too much time making them. Imagine if they spent that time making games in genres that aren’t trash. But I don’t say that, because the games just aren’t for me but can still exist for those who do enjoy them.

This argument breaks down completely when you compare how many jrpgs there are being made that take up huge amounts of resources at major game developers, with how many GaaS games are.

It ain't jrpgs that are killing the output from celebrated developers like Rocksteady, Arkane and Naughty Dog.

Fine. You like GaaS games. But it's fatuous to suggest that the amount of time and cash thrown away on so many of them could not have been far better served elsewhere.

The last few years are replete with otherwise incredibly good dev teams being destroyed in the pursuit the executive GaaS greed.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

And easily one the best one. GaaS brought a lot of new genres and innovations into gameplay, that widely used everywhere now.

Mods! Boxes has got a fucking alt again!

Korean Drama No GIF by Netflix K-Content

This argument breaks down completely when you compare how many jrpgs there are being made that take up huge amounts of resources at major game developers, with how many GaaS games are.

It ain't jrpgs that are killing the output from celebrated developers like Rocksteady, Arkane and Naughty Dog.

Fine. You like GaaS games. But it's fatuous to suggest that the amount of time and cash thrown away on so many of them could not have been far better served elsewhere.

The last few years are replete with otherwise incredibly good dev teams being destroyed in the pursuit the executive GaaS greed.

Your issue is with shitty executives, not GaaS.

GaaS is singlehandedly responsible for the lack of Naughty Dogs output this gen, Concord, Destiny 2, scams like The Day before just so that they could be the primary game for revenue and profit at the cost of everything else.

Felessan

GaaS is singlehandedly responsible for the lack of Naughty Dogs output this gen, Concord, Destiny 2, scams like The Day before just so that they could be the primary game for revenue and profit at the cost of everything else.
Destiny is good though
It's problem is a lack of money led to cutting content and some strange design choices li ke lack of build-in party finder
And WoW is one of the best game ever made for many

Generic

The lack of Naughty Dog output this gen is because AAA games now take 5+ years to be made.

awwr999999

Neo Member
I mean if you’re technologically illiterate or clueless about the spending habits of people who possess actual brains then it’s like some blue ocean where everyone in the world will switch to playing streaming games via smart TV and smartphones.

For the rest of us, it’s mainly a bit of a cash grab to exploit idiots.
They're looking at console input lag on a chart and thinking that users don't notice it or don't care.
Added input lag from TVs, wireless controllers, x86 flaws, game flaws - it's no big deal.
A tiny segment of the gaming world really cares about input lag and everybody else just smiles and enjoys whatever they get.

Most of the 'innovation' that's objectively changed the way game consoles work without really improving the gaming experience has come at the expense of added input lag.
Trading real-time CRTs for laggy flat screens, near lag free wired DualShock2 for the lag ridden DualShock3 - input lag could loosely be equated with 'progress'.

Given that premise, the idea of adding even more lag while reducing the upfront buy-in cost for a platform sounds like something that the average idiot will jump at.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Missing Post Launch Patches and DLC…
Now devs release trash knowing they can ‘fix’ it later. Or release incomplete products and sell it back to us…Honestly I think these two piss me off more than anything else. GaaS is a close second.

Umbral

God I hated it at the time.

Wii was too early and used crap low-tech, Ninty basically lost me for a generation.

Kinect seemed to cool but again, too soon and mainly dumb party games

Move was good tech but had little to no support.

And oh Christ the E3 conferences for these things! My least nostalgic generation of gaming.

The only good thing to come from it was that Move kinda evolved into the rather impressive VR controls we have today.

Maybe we’ll see a late 2020s nostalgia bump and they’ll get it right next time? The technology is there now.
I’m assuming you’re not counting gyro aim, because that is clearly superior and we only got here by dealing with sixaxis and Wii.
I’m on board for more control options and anything that provides an alternative to Aim Assist is cool.
Been playing Games (FPSs) for close to 20 years, couldn’t see how i could use gyro competitively for anything past my 30s.
My wrists are starting to go. Can’t imagine the gyro movement. Looks exhausting.
You could tweak the sensitivity super high so you don’t need much movement. It’s a great option but takes a little getting used to, just like sticks did.
That movement is so shit. It makes no sense and looks absolutely fucking retarded.

And that is how I know I'm an old git.
Lol

Top Bottom