• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord flopping = The end of the live service trend chasing

Is Concord the beginning of the end of trend chasing life service games?

• KEKW! its done boss LOL!

• LMAO! concord has no rizz loloolol not over yet kek

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
While the well doesn't runs dry, game companies will keep pushing for live-service games. The golden rush might have ended but the business model has a lot of leg still.

Last edited:
The concept was part of the scam. Even if it was doable, it's now tarnished.

You should follow the lead of good actually shipped games instead.
Then that's a chicken and egg problem. You can't know the scam until it actually happens. There will be other concepts in the future with equal hype or more (see GTAVI) but that's what the players expectations are. For all we know even GTAVI may not deliver despite not being a scam.

Astray

Then that's a chicken and egg problem. You can't know the scam until it actually happens. There will be other concepts in the future with equal hype or more (see GTAVI) but that's what the players expectations are. For all we know even GTAVI may not deliver despite not being a scam.
GTA6 might not deliver as expected, but not only does it come from accomplished devs who have shipped games of massive scale before, it will also be an actual viable product, even if it's considerably flawed.

The idea of something like the day before being released legitimately might not be feasible because those devs were scammers and they designed everything about the concept, shown graphics etc etc to sell a scam, not as an actual game. For all we know, it might not be possible to produce a legit clone of The Day Before that's actually a fun product.

Generic

I want another live service hero shooter!!!!!1! Said no one ever.

Live service is fine if it’s a game people want and the roadmap is legit and ongoing costs are fair.

There's a reason why Helldivers 2 saw mass uptake and Concord fell flat. Thing is Sony knew this was going to be a flop since I’ve been spammed like no other game has over Concord and it’s impending release.
I want more hero shooters. There are very few good hero shooters in the market.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
We could only hope but I doubt it. This is just further proof that's there's only so much room for there types of games.

tkscz

Nope, because there are still success stories in Live service games and they still get tons of money. Fortnite, League of Legends, Hell Divers 2, Genshin Impact just to name of a few. While the LARGE MAJORITY of live service games fail, the few that don't sound too attractive to CEOs and their marketing. Why make hundreds of million in net income when you can make billions on pure profit? They're always willing to lose millions for that slight chance of billions

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Publishers will keep acting like monkeys, throwing their own pieces of shit, until one sticks on the wall
For most companies and industries, throwing one turd at a wall is enough to change course and never do it again.

With media companies and their loose cannon employees, they sure seem to have a lot of turds to throw. Media companies like gaming corporations and studios must have a lot more money than I think because they seem to be able to spend high budgets and absorb trainwreck after trainwreck. It's not like a lot of bad media lately are made by two guys after dinner making a game in their spare time for free. They got big employee pools, office leases and big budgets to manage. But they seem to have no problem forging ahead to release even though it seemed like it was destined to be car crash 4 years ago already.

Last edited:

Success

Everyone that answered yes is now vindicated:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Everyone that answered yes is now vindicated:

Not really. They won’t stop.

Success

They won't stop with the GAAS. They'll just be less reckless and stupid about them.

Yes, my point with this thread was that Concord will be the end of GaaS trend chasing.

Now people won't chase the trend but will now make games appropriate for GaaS.

Top Bottom