• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AAAGH!! Too many games to buy!! :(

I don't remember ever being so overwhelmed by the number of new games I want to own at any one time... The last quarter of this year is insane for game releases, and it sucks for me because I will only be able to afford a small fraction of them (I just blew $300 on importing a new PS2 + Network Adapter last week), so I'm going to have to be extremely selective with what I decide to buy from now till the end of the year, and it's going to be torture.

Here's a list of games either recently released or scheduled for release before the end of the year that I want to buy:

Games in italic font mean that I still need to do more research on them or wait for reviews before I decide if I really want them or not, but they're likely candidates

Gamecube:

Pikmin 2
Baten Kaitos
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Years Door
Viewtiful Joe 2
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

PS2:

Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Gradius V
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia
Katamari Damacy
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

GBA:

Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Super Mario Bros. (Classic NES Series)

PC:

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (Might get the GC version instead, depending on how my PC can handle this game, it ran the first one wonderfully though)

I don't own an XBox, but if I did then Fable would have been on the list.

There's more games I'd like to buy, but I'm limiting this to the top games on my priority list.

Anyone else feel overwhelmed/frustrated like me here?

Prospero

Yeah, and since I'm almost certainly going to buy a new computer this winter, that means I have to cut my game purchases down to near zero in order to afford it.

Wait until January. Then instead of threads complaining about too many games, we'll see threads rejoicing because there are so many good games for $20.

AniHawk

Thank god there are only 50 other topics like this up already.

..Anyway:

italics=maybe

Gamecube
Donkey Konga
Paper Mario 2: The Thousand-Year Door
Baten Kaitos
Mario Party 6
Mario Tennis

Xbox
Fable
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Halo 2

PS2
Taiko: Drum Master
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Katamari Damacy
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection

Multi
Viewtiful Joe 2

Anyone else feel overwhelmed/frustrated like me here?

Not me. Potential TRU deal and Bday in early October. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Solid

No shit.

Just in October (EU games) my PS2 is steel hot!

Star Ocean: Till The End of Time
Pro Evolution Soccer 4
Killzone
Ratchet & Clank 3
Sly Racoon 2
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Resident Evil - Outbreak
Viewtiful Joe
Gradius V
NHL 2005
Sega Superstars
EyeToy Chat

Not to mention Fable and Outrun 2 :O

My shopping list is huge but I wont be getting all of them, i still dont know which ones to get yet:

Metal Gear Solid 3
Killer 7
Final fantasy 12
killzone
Silent hill 4
Metroid Prime 2
Paper Mario 2
Grand theft auto: San andreas
Tales of Symphonia (Still havent got it yet)
Devil May Cry 3
Jak 3
Gran Turismo 4
Prince Of Persia: Warrior Within.

and maybe some more that I cant think of right now.

AniHawk

Deepthroat said:
No shit.

Just in October (EU games) my PS2 is steel hot!

Star Ocean: Till The End of Time
Pro Evolution Soccer 4
Killzone
Ratchet & Clank 3
Sly Racoon 2
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Resident Evil - Outbreak
Viewtiful Joe
Gradius V
NHL 2005
Sega Superstars
EyeToy Chat

Not to mention Fable and Outrun 2 :O

You get Up Your Arsenal first!?

Prine

Banned
Fable
Knights of the old Republic II
Burnout 3
Outrun 2
Halo 2
Splinter Cell 3
Pro Evolution Soccer 4
GTA San Andreas
Mech Assualt 2
Metal Gear Solid 3

:(

Ranger X

Sure to buy:

GTA SA
MGS3
GT4
Metroid Prime 2
Rachet 3
Jak 3
TOCA Race Driver 2
Zelda Mimish Cap

May end up buying:

Sly 2
Monster Hunter
Paper Mario 2
Killzone
Phantasy Star Trilogy
Prince of Persia 2
Suikoden 4
Far Cry (GC) if it ever comes out in 2004

That's a freakin lot of games... welcome 1000$

Soul4ger

MoxManiac said:
What the fuck? Another one of these? Are we trying to go for a forum record or something?

I think they're trying to pay homage to all the good games by making one thread per each one worth buying. It's the only suitable way to show appreciation!

TheDiave

Banned
Hmm, here's which ones tickle my fancy... (along with some ad-libs)

Gamecube
Donkey Konga
Paper Mario 2: The Thousand-Year Door
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (still haven't finished the first one)
Mario Tennis (I've got SMB2 for my tennis fix)
Viewtiful Joe 2 (still working on the first one)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 (depends if the mood strikes me)
NHL 2005 (depends how bored I am with Hitz by the time this is out)

Xbox

PS2
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (I didn't like number two, so I'm unsure 'bout three)

Italics mean maybe, and explanations follow.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Hey kids I'm going to sing a song? How does it go? It goes a little something like this.....

RENT RENT RENT RENT RENT RENT RENT RENT RENT RENT! RENT RENT!

Lord knows I'm going to have to do that, or just wait. It's getting pretty crazy on releases all of a sudden.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
TekunoRobby said:
Hey kids I'm going to sing a song? How does it go? It goes a little something like this.....

RENT RENT RENT RENT RENT RENT RENT RENT RENT RENT! RENT RENT!

Lord knows I'm going to have to do that, or just wait. It's getting pretty crazy on releases all of a sudden.
I've only rented a handful of games this generation. Mainly due to how bad the slection has become at Blockbuster. They never get the games (at least the ones I want) at release and, chances are, they never get the game... even when they carry a game, its usually rented out.
Wario64 said:
Or be like me and pick em up for $5 a piece next year
I've gone through, looked over the games I want, checked which games I think will drop the soonest and have decided to wait for those games. For example:
-Viewtiful Joe 2
-PoP WW
-ToS

I should be able to find all three of these games for $20 by next spring (especially Pop and Joe). So, I'll wait for these to drop in price before a get them.

My problem comes from games like:
-Metroid Prime 2
-Paper Mario
-Mario Tennis
-Halo 2
-GT4

These games won't see a real price drop for at least a year. I don't really want to wait that long. I might as well get them on release and use a BB GGC or go to Fry's.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
PS2

Gran Turismo 4 (if it comes out)
Grand Theft Auto : SA

GameCube (after just buying Pikmin 2)

Donkey Konga
Metroid Prime 2

Xbox (after just buying ESPN NHL2k5)

Burnout 3
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload
Midway Arcade Classics Vol. 2
ESPN NBA2k5
Halo 2

$360 left to go :(

expensive year :(

These threads act as good reminders, since there are too many games coming out to remember even just the ones on my preorder list. Hell, just some games I can think of:

Baten Kaitos
Viewtiful Joe 2
Donkey Konga (Maybe?)
Paper Mario 2 (Maybe?)
Chulip
Katamari Damacy
Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne
Wild Arms: Alter Code F
GTA San Andreas (Maybe?)
Digital Devil Saga
Pokemon Fire Red
Gran Turismo 4 (Maybe?)
Shadow Hearts 2 (Maybe?)
Gradius V
Rez rerelease
Final Fantasy 1+2
Half Life 2 (yeah, yeah, obviously if it comes out this year)

Then it's just a case of adding whatever I missed, and pencilling in the DS with 1-4 games. Now I understand why you can sell blood for money in the states.

AniHawk

Crazymoogle said:
These threads act as good reminders, since there are too many games coming out to remember even just the ones on my preorder list. Hell, just some games I can think of:

Baten Kaitos
Viewtiful Joe 2
Donkey Konga (Maybe?)
Paper Mario 2 (Maybe?)
Chulip
Katamari Damacy
Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne
Wild Arms: Alter Code F
GTA San Andreas (Maybe?)
Digital Devil Saga
Pokemon Fire Red
Gran Turismo 4 (Maybe?)
Shadow Hearts 2 (Maybe?)
Gradius V
Rez rerelease
Final Fantasy 1+2
Half Life 2 (yeah, yeah, obviously if it comes out this year)

Then it's just a case of adding whatever I missed, and pencilling in the DS with 1-4 games. Now I understand why you can sell blood for money in the states.

I keep forgetting about the DS. I'd be too busy with all the other games anyway. If I had to, I'd buy one during January, February, March, or just wait until there's a price drop (or when I have money).

cvxfreak

This coming week has me with a broken wallet.

Pokemon Emerald - $10 (if I get my other NCSX gift certificate soon)
BioHazard Outbreak File 02 - $60
Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green - $56 (thank you Fry's!)
Silent Hill 4 - $60 (might as well buy both editions - thank you Fry's!)
TOTAL: $186

These lists are kind of pointless, but anyhow...
I'm rather eager to get a hold of these titles:
Metroid Prime: Echoes
Viewtiful Joe 2
Gradius V
Ratchet and Clank: UYA
Sly 2
Jak 3
SMT: Nocturne
DDS
MGS3
Halo 2
Gran Turismo 4
Outrun 2

Unfortunately, some of the ones I want to play the most are the ones I just know will drop in price first, so it's hard to say what'll get left behind.

Fularu

Banned
This week I bought:

Phantom Brave (70 CND)
Gladiator Sword of Vengeance (10 CND)

I have preordered :

Gradius V
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Shadow Hearts 2 Covenant
Donkey Konga
Growlanser Generation

I'm fuckin broke

The use of italics on Katamari Damacy in this thread is appalling. Seriously, it was a must-buy as a $60 import. It would've been a must-buy at $50 in the states. But $20? Get that italics shit outta here!!

Metroid Prime 2
Nintendo DS
Halo 2
Paper Mario 2
Mario Tennis
THUG 2: World Destruction Tour
Viewtiful Joe 2
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Jak 3
Sly 2: Band of Thieves
Crash Bandicoot Twinsanity
Prince of Persia The Warrior within
Metal Gear Solid 3
Silent Hill 4
Donkey Konga
GTA: San Andreas

:(

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
These two bits of information might help out a few of you:

Blockbuster has lowered the price on the first month of Gamepass to $14.99. GamePass is a special offer when you pay a flat fee ($14.99 in this case) for 30 days worth of rentals, and you receive up to 1 game rental a day (or just keep it until you beat it) with no due dates or late fees. After the first month the price is $19.99.

IGN has a free 21 day trial for Gamefly: http://insider.ign.com/gameflytrial.html
Here is the actual redirected website IGN gave out: http://net.gamespyid.com/linktrack/redirect.aspx?i=7087&t=http://www.gamefly.com/ads/a.asp?a=ign161
Chances are that they have a list of who's an IGN Insider member so it might not work for non-members.

Alcibiades

Honestly, unless a game tanks (or has a sequel coming within 12 months), don't expect too major pricecuts.

Beyond Good and Evil is everyone's favorite story, but that game REALLY TANKED, not just disappointed (like Prince of Persia).

During a few times a year, Best Buy or Circuit City will have a massive clearance with tons of stuff at $5, but don't expect anything before next summer. Even drops to $20 on some of this stuff is questionable (definitely not PoP 2 or Viewtiful Joe 2).

EA dropped the price on many of it's hits to $30, so maybe there's SOME hope there, but even they waited several months (more like April/May, not January as some people insist).

The way I see it, looking at the lists people are making, people are going to be disappointed if they think waiting is going to result in ultra-cheap deals.

Waiting is definitley advisable though, I mean, who has the time for all these games anyway, I sure don't, my GBA + GCN lineup for the fall is probably going to be less than 5-6 games, heck, I still have a giant backlog.

That said, expect maybe $10-$20 savings (Best Buy usually has some good deals on titles popular with casuals, especially on XBox) $35 KOTOR like a month after release, $37 Spidey 2 and $32 Driv3r recently. Don't expect to see a lot of fall titles in the bargain bins anytime soon after release, unless it's a BG&E situation.

Games I want that are coming out NOW-December:

XBX:
Fable
Splinter Cell 3: CT
KOTOR 2

PS2:
Sly 2
GTA: SA
Ratchet & Clank: UYA
Sonic Mega Collection +

The only games I'm sure to get as soon as they come out are GTA, R&C and KOTOR. All the others I'll get once they're available for a discount (used or new).

I'm also going to get other stuff that's older like SMario Advance (ordered today) and SMA 3: YI (both to complete my SMA collection) and other random stuff. It's also likely that I'll pick up a game or two that ends up having good word of mouth (pimpage from the GAF) that I didn't have on my radar. That's how I ended up getting GTA 3 and KOTOR 1.

Blackie

I will have to rape, murder and pillage to afford all this stuff. But I will have it all.

Xbox:
Halo 2
Fable
Splinter Cell 3

PS2:
GTA:SA
MGS3
GT4

GC:
MP2:Echoes
Paper Mario 2
Donkey Konga
Baiten Kaitos

GBA:
FF1+2
Zelda: Minish Cap

and 1 shiny new Nintendo DS.

Fongul

Thankfully, I have already fully paid for a lot of prebooks using the deals at Gamerush and all of the games bought at the Circuit City sale a month or two ago.

So far:
Pokemon Fire Red
Shin Megami Tensai Nocturne
Baiten Kaitos
GTA:SA
Paper Mario 2
Fable
Gradius V
Monster Hunter

Coming Soon:
Outrun 2
Blood Will Tell
Shadow Hearts 2
Katamari Damashi
Digital Devil Saga
PSO I & II Plus
Viewtiful Joe 2
Metroid 2: Echoes

Right now, the deal at Gamerush is to trade any two used titles for prebook a $50 title for $30. The thing about Gamerush is that they have obscene trade in values on some games that can be bought for cheap at other gamestores.

Space Channel 5 SE for PS2 gets $25 in credit and can be found at EB used for $10. Other games include Robin Hood:DOTC for $21, PN03 for $21 and last, but not least, Drake for $21 as well. Drake can be found new at Gamestop for $6.99 new and $5.99 used. Buy two used copies of Drake at GS for $12 plus tax, march down to Gamerush, prebook any game you want for $30 and then pick up an extra $9-10 in store credit after tax. :)
Granted, if you have a Gamerush near you at least...

I was actually happy that some games got delayed until next year. Spacing games out is a good thing especially since I work full time and I'm taking 8 credits worth of science classes a semester.

Anyhow, I looked hard and tried to shave off most of the iffy games (though I may still pick up one or two if they turn out to be worth it):

Xbox:
Fable
Halo 2
KOTOR 2 (likely but not definite)

GC:
Metroid Prime 2
Baten Kaitos

While Pikmin 2 and Paper Mario 2 I'm sure are good games I just may not have the time to play them as my schedule is already packed. Then there's this Doom 3 game and Bloodrayne 2 (I still can't figure out why this one seems appealing since I never even played the first one).

Top Bottom