• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Thanks everyone, these prices (amazon) are killing my vibe tbh. I'll see if I can go to some game stores nearby and take some out

FleenerW

Also, buy the DLC case when it comes out. One of the best standalone cases in the series.
I'll definitely be buying it as soon as it's available, but where does it take place on the timeline? Is it related to the main game or is it just its own thing?

I've only played the first game--will this significantly hinder my enjoyment of the fifth one? It's taken a very long time for me to be "ready" for another Phoenix Wright, so I'm definitely not willing to play 2-4 right now. I loved the demo.

Fey

Banned
I've only played the first game--will this significantly hinder my enjoyment of the fifth one? It's taken a very long time for me to be "ready" for another Phoenix Wright, so I'm definitely not willing to play 2-4 right now. I loved the demo.

From what I've heard, the game can be enjoyed without having played ANY of the previous games, but is more satisfying with AA1-4 played.

You should play AA2-4 regardless since they're fantastic. Plus, the games are story driven, after all.

Timeless

The fact that Vic Ireland can do a physical release of a sequel to a niche PSP game that no one liked in 2013 shows that Capcom could have found a way to release this game physically had they tried.
I thought Nintendo charges more for licensing on 3DS than Sony on PSP.

Is Capcom so financially strained where we should give a shit how much it would cost for them?

At last count they had less than $200 million COH, which is really, really low for a company their size. AA5 going retail would not have bankrupt them, but they likely simply would not have brought it over at all. I don't know if you would have preferred that, and that's a little crazy if you would, but the margins probably would have been pretty thin after all is said and done and likely not worth the cost. This is what they ended up doing, though.

Especially when they released a physical copy in Japan?

The two situations aren't as similar as you'd think. There are way more 100k+ eShop sellers in North America than there are in Japan, where most of the digital numbers come from physical card sales. Less work to get things on to store shelves, since most stores have been built to maximize stock in as small a physical place as they can there, while stores in America put their copies of the games in shelves as-is. The most important distinction is that retailers do not return copies to publishers as a fail-safe in Japan, while they do in America, which likely could have lead to AA5 taking a rather large loss if it didn't catch on.

If it's so costly to go retail and they just had to go download only, why only stick with the 3DS? Why not release on every download platform?

They likely will eventually. The assets are way too high-res for the 3DS and there's almost certainly phone/tablet versions at the ready. Probably one of the reasons they're working so fast to get this out in America, they want to get the 3DS sales before the mobile port is announced.

No one's arguing you should acquiesce to do something you don't want to do, and if they are arguing it, they're wrong to do so. But you probably need to make peace with the idea that this wasn't something done capriciously or done to spite you. The series is on death's door in America and this is a hail-mary pass to try and get it to profitability. Would I like it if Capcom re-examined its priorities and didn't produce so many other bad games that they put themselves in situations where really good games don't get the treatment they deserve? Of course I would, but that's not the reality of the current situation we're in here.

You're free to do whatever you like - buy the game, don't buy it, watch it on youtube, pirate it, steal someone's 3DS who has it, whatever. People are also free to make their judgments about however you decide to absorb the game, or decide not to. I personally wouldn't like someone to watch my game on Youtube when all they're out for is the story, but I wouldn't want someone to read an article of mine without buying the publication and lots of people think that's okay, so my value judgment may be out of whack.

All that said, I know you think you're on the defense here, but people should stop yelling at you, and you might not realize how really aggressive you're sounding.

demidar

Nah, I'd rather watch it on youtube than pay money for something I dont want. I wont be missing out on anything. Capcom? Theyre missing out on some sales, thats the choice they made.

See this is what I'm talking about, this guilt trip bullshit. Am I coming to you guys and trying to convince you to not buy the game? Go buy it, who's stopping you? If the series ends because of low sales of this title, thats on Capcom, no matter how much you want to blame the anti-download crowd.

Doesn't want to pay for something he doesn't want.

Consumes the very same thing he doesn't want for free.

AA6 not localized due to lack of interest

daripad

My favorite handheld franchise receiving their games this month. This can't be happening, I need more time in Pokemon X/Y. I think I'll just purchase this but play it until next month

L00P

Nah, I'd rather watch it on youtube than pay money for something I dont want. I wont be missing out on anything. Capcom? Theyre missing out on some sales, thats the choice they made.

See this is what I'm talking about, this guilt trip bullshit. Am I coming to you guys and trying to convince you to not buy the game? Go buy it, who's stopping you? If the series ends because of low sales of this title, thats on Capcom, no matter how much you want to blame the anti-download crowd.

You don't want it? The way I see it, you just don't want to pay for it

But what do I know? Maybe money is tight, maybe you don't actually have a 3DS, maybe you think the game is only worth watching, maybe you just don't like Capcom, or maybe you're not interested in the series at all. All valid reasons to not pay for it, more so than the game being digital

All that said, I know you think you're on the defense here, but people should stop yelling at you, and you might not realize how really aggressive you're sounding.
If things really are that dire for them and this series, and I trust your call on this, then fine, I'll stop complaining about it.

Though I question the decision to go physical only in Japan if retail space is a huge issue.

I don't know, I don't think I sound that aggressive. I thought me swearing about vanilla cake was pretty clearly me being over the top jokey about it. If I sound like an asshole to you guys, then I'm sorry.

You don't want it? The way I see it, you just don't want to pay for it

But what do I know? Maybe money is tight, maybe you don't actually have a 3DS, maybe you think the game is only worth watching, maybe you just don't like Capcom, or maybe you're not interested in the series at all. All valid reasons to not pay for it, more so than the game being digital
...but to you I'm not. I thought I made it pretty clear that I didn't want to pay for a download version on the 3DS, after repeating it for the umpteenth time. If it's the decision between that and just watching, I choose to save my money for something else and just watch it.

What do you know? Not much by the sounds of it. Money's always tight, I do have a 3DS, I have a love/hate relationship with Capcpom, and I am very interested in the series. I'm insulted by your post! http://i.imgur.com/S1EhDDh.jpg

Being digital is a perfectly valid reason to pass on it given the digital platform it's on.

GSR

I'll definitely be buying it as soon as it's available, but where does it take place on the timeline? Is it related to the main game or is it just its own thing?

It takes place between cases 2 and 3. Not really any harm in playing it after the main story, since it's pretty standalone. It does provide light setup for one or two things later in the game though.

Timeless

I finished version 2 of my guide. I hope you like it. Hardcore AA fans, please look through it and point out anything that I got wrong.

Excel 2010 spreadsheet

What's the cool way to convert this to a giant PNG (or two)? My usual strategy is to take several screenshots and layer them on top of each other.

edit:

A big correction: the Japanese-only DLC is not a standard case. It's more a series of small puzzles and brainteasers with dialogue in-between. Fun, but nothing vital and definitely not how one would think of a 'case'.

You might also want to mention that crime scene investigations in DD are full 3D environments that can be looked at from various angles/etc. Also, PLvsPW adds cross-examinations with multiple witnesses at once, where you can point out contradictions between testimony or call out a witness reacting to another's statement strangely.

FleenerW

It takes place between cases 2 and 3. Not really any harm in playing it after the main story, since it's pretty standalone. It does provide light setup for one or two things later in the game though.
Ah. Just out of curiosity, are you going to play the English release now or do you usually stick to the Japanese versions?

GSR

Ah. Just out of curiosity, are you going to play the English release now or do you usually stick to the Japanese versions?

I started the series long before I knew Japanese, so I don't have any intent of stopping with the English versions now. Plus it's fun to see how things are translated!

I won't be storming through the English release though. In fact depending on when it's released I might wait and play the DLC case chronologically between cases 2 and 3 to see how it fits tonally.

GSR

I finished version 2 of my guide. I hope you like it. Hardcore AA fans, please look through it and point out anything that I got wrong.

Excel 2010 spreadsheet

What's the cool way to convert this to a giant PNG (or two)? My usual strategy is to take several screenshots and layer them on top of each other.

A big correction: the Japanese-only DLC is not a standard case. It's more a series of small puzzles and brainteasers with dialogue in-between. Fun, but nothing vital and definitely not how one would think of a 'case'.

You might also want to mention that crime scene investigations in DD are full 3D environments that can be looked at from various angles/etc. Also, PLvsPW adds cross-examinations with multiple witnesses at once, where you can point out contradictions between testimony or call out a witness reacting to another's statement strangely.

LNBL

This is going to be so good. Hope the classic first case will feature the "beloved" Payne rookie killer! Haha

Dremark

Banned
I thought Nintendo charges more for licensing on 3DS than Sony on PSP.

That's kind of irrelevant when you're doing a pre-order campaign. You just set the minimum amount to do the project higher. The fact is Capcom dismissed the idea entirely rather than seeing if there was interest.

Timeless

YXpPhmV.png

Full version is done; I just need to stitch it together.

That's kind of irrelevant when you're doing a pre-order campaign. You just set the minimum amount to do the project higher. The fact is Capcom dismissed the idea entirely rather than seeing if there was interest.
Yeah, fair enough.

Celine

Is Capcom so financially strained where we should give a shit how much it would cost for them? Especially when they released a physical copy in Japan?
Japan bought 350K copies of AA5 and probably a good chunk of them at close to full price.
In US and Europe (on top of localization costs), AA5 won't probably match the japanese sales and as you can judge in this thread where many bitch about the 30$ price tag, if Capcom released a physical copy then many would simply wait for the game price to collapse at retail before purchasing it.

I'm buying the game day 1, I need to support this. Anyone has a right to not buy it, but there's no fucking way I'm not supporting AA.

Remember how we didn't get AAI2? If you don't want that to happen again, buy the game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm buying the game day 1, I need to support this. Anyone has a right to not buy it, but there's no fucking way I'm not supporting AA.

Remember how we didn't get AAI2? If you don't want that to happen again, buy the game.

I'm getting it day one, but I don't buy the AAI2 argument. It's a spin-off title. There's no way that a mainline Ace Attorney was going to go unlocalized, no matter what bullshit Capcom tries to feed you.

I'm getting it day one, but I don't buy the AAI2 argument. It's a spin-off title. There's no way that a mainline Ace Attorney was going to go unlocalized, no matter what bullshit Capcom tries to feed you.

Spin-off or not, it's made with the same amount of quality as the main games. That's why people usually find it valid to compare it to the main series.

Shengar

Did sales number and late DS cycle become their reasons for not releasing AAI2 worldwide? I think that still bullshit, because Devil Survivor 2 was released later in July 2011 while AAI2 released in February 2011 but Devil Survivor 2 still got worldwide releases. No, I will not boycotting the AA5, but buying with intention of not letting AAI2 to happened again seems silly. I thinik AAI2 is just the case where Capcom too fucking blockhead to care about its audience.

weevles

I wish there was a physical copy available because as much as I enjoy AA games, I never play them more than once.

Still, I will probably get this since it fits perfectly into my $30 eShop credit...

ohlawd

Playing the first game ATM. Is there a way to speed up the text scroll?

No. Gotta hold down a button or the touch screen to make it go faster.

edit: nah crap remembered wrong. If the text has been repeated, then you can fast forward it. Like when you present the wrong evidence and what not.

Shahadan

Neeeeeed. Even if it's somehow the worst in the series I'll still love it.
I guess I'm eating pasta for the rest of the month.

Ken

Unfortunately, only completed cases can be sped through.

No. Gotta hold down a button or the touch screen to make it go faster.

edit: nah crap remembered wrong. If the text has been repeated, then you can fast forward it. Like when you present the wrong evidence and what not.

Thanks. Currently on the second case. Game seems good but I don't know if can do 50+ hours of all the games back to back.

Effect

This is going to be my first Ace Attorney game. Actually wanted to keep playing when the demo was over.

I just hope I wont' be lost story wise. It seems that the demo takes into account one has never played before. Unless that's just a demo thing.

BlackJace

Thanks. Currently on the second case. Game seems good but I don't know if can do 50+ hours of all the games back to back.

Feel free to take your time. The game will always be there, so there's no rush to get to AA5. My playthroughs with the first 4 were always in smaller chunks mixed with other games.

donny2112

Does it take time to transfer? Can't I just plug in my card when it goes up?

Oh, no. Just saying that I got a prepaid card yesterday, so put it in today to bump the balance over $30, which is earmarked for AA5. If you put in a prepaid card (or credit card) at that time, you'll be good to download the game, too.

Anyone know if it's releasing at midnight or if it'll be in the morning sometime? 1st-party games definitely go at midnight, but thought I read that third-party games may come out later.

Amazing. I'll just buy 1-3 on Wii Virtual Console and track down AA4 for GBA on Amazon. In the meantime, I'll have AA5 bought already with my FE+SMTIV credit and ready to go by the time I get around to it.

Thanks guys, had no idea these games were so readily accessible via Wii VC and amazon. Nice!

AA4 is on DS, not GBA. Just FYI.

Top Bottom