• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

CoolS

I need to know if every AA5 eShop download will be a Multi5/??? version or if I *must* grab it off the UK eShop if I want to play it in english. The AA games on DS were one of the few early cases of single/dual launguage carts where I needed to specifically get hold of the UK release to be able to play the series in english (same thing, prolly for the cutscenes and small size of the carts, later happened with the Layton series -from Pandora's onward- and Inazuma).
The game will be releasen ONLY in english in the west, so you're good.

Sakujou

Banned
wont buy this game until there is a retail release.

fuck you capcom, as long as you wont bring this...

bought all the retail games before and you still fuck around-.-

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I've never played an AA game, is this a good start?
As someone who played the games out of order, it's honestly not as big of a deal as some people here are making it out to be. Yes, there is an over-arching story, but most of the cases in the games are stand-alone, and the ones that are not, the things you need to know are explained. The games are good about getting new players up to speed, and they also try as much as possible to avoid spoiling the outcomes of past games' cases, in case you go back to them.

Ideally, it's best to play all of the games in order of release, but if you don't want to do that, it's probably okay to start with this one.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The game will be releasen ONLY in english in the west, so you're good.

Oh, cool then, thanks. :)
Although now I'm a bit sad for whoever will miss it because they aren't fluent with the language, since the series used to be translated (not so sure about AAI tho),

wont buy this game until there is a retail release.

fuck you capcom, as long as you wont bring this...

Thank you for letting us know, meh thread's title should have a rule about this kind of posts (like the FEZ thread) since we've been complaining (yes, of course I'm super disappointed too that I won't have AA5 to show off in my collection with all the others) for months in many threads, no reason to shit this one.
Don't come complaining in the future posting how awful it is when the next AA game won't be brought over AT ALL. Capcom at least met with us halfway and priced the game accordingly for digital distribution: game is €24.99 instead of €39.99 or even €44.99.

Thank you for letting us know, meh thread's title should have a rule about this kind of posts (like the FEZ thread) since we've been complaining (yes, of course I'm super disappointed too that I won't have AA5 to show off in my collection with all the others) for months in many threads, no reason to shit this one.
Don't come complaining in the future posting how awful it is when the next AA game won't be brought over AT ALL. Capcom at least met with us halfway and priced the game accordingly for digital distribution: game is €24.99 instead of €39.99 or even €44.99.
What part of this is thread shitting? Is this supposed to be a love-in? How about I complain about both? I dont have an obligation to support a bad version of a game just so we can all get table scraps from Capcom. Oh how nice of Capcom to not completely gouge us on price of a game you can't do anything with but play on the one device you bought it on. If a mod wants to make a rule about not complaining about Capcom's stupid business decisions, they're totally free to.

No buy means no future localizations, only more Western outsourced games!
Well at least those western outsourced games have physical releases.

demidar

What part of this is thread shitting? Is this supposed to be a love-in? How about I complain about both? I dont have an obligation to support a bad version of a game just so we can all get table scraps from Capcom. Oh how nice of Capcom to not completely gouge us on price of a game you can't do anything with but play on the one device you bought it on. If a mod wants to make a rule about not complaining about Capcom's stupid business decisions, they're totally free to.

Well at least those western outsourced games have physical releases.

It's fine if you don't want to buy this game because of no physical release, but then you forfeit the right to complain about the next game not coming over at all. We all know this stance, and it's shitty, but that's pretty much the end of the discussion since it's got nowhere else to go, no reason to bring it up again and again and again and again.

It's fine if you don't want to buy this game because of no physical release, but then you forfeit the right to complain about the next game not coming over at all. We all know this stance, and it's shitty, but that's pretty much the end of the discussion since it's got nowhere else to go, no reason to bring it up again and again and again and again.
I don't see how I forfeit that right. If a later game doesn't come out because of low sales of the download version of the previous title, that's on Capcom, not the consumer opposed against downloading the game. I'm sure it's easier to blame other fans than the shitty publisher.

If it's brought up, I will talk about it. Its no more of a dead end than "Hi im new to AA, is it okay to start here/where do I start", "case rankings in this post","omg I love athena". Don't want to talk about it? Don't talk about it then.

Jintor

klavier-forwardhair%28d%29.gif

You're, like, totally hashing my vibe, man.

Shinjica

I think this is a lose-lose situation, unfortunately.

You buy the game? The next games will follow the same kind of sales, mean only digitally.

You dont buy the game? You will never see another game outside Japan.

For me, i prefer to never see another phoenix Wright game outside japan but send a strong signal to Capcom that people here in the old Continent still want physical release.

Of course this is my opinion

demidar

I don't see how I forfeit that right. If a later game doesn't come out because of low sales of the download version of the previous title, that's on Capcom, not the consumer opposed against downloading the game. I'm sure it's easier to blame other fans than the shitty publisher.

If it's brought up, I will talk about it. Its no more of a dead end than "Hi im new to AA, is it okay to start here/where do I start", "case rankings in this post","omg I love athena". Don't want to talk about it? Don't talk about it then.

If an AA6 comes out, and the cited reason for it not getting localized is "AA5 didn't make enough money back to justify the cost of localization, therefore localizing AA6 does not make financial sense" and you stroll in saying "Fuck those guys, they should've spent more money to box up those games to satisfy me and other people" then you're gonna get daggers shot at you. Ace Attorney is on it's deathbed in the West, this is it's last chance, and if it doesn't succeed (and therefore get a shot at building up a bigger fanbase for future installments and by then you might get a boxed copy) then you cannot complain about no localized future games since you didn't do anything as AA bled out to death on the floor. You can complain and you have the right to, but by then it'll be utterly useless by then.

I think this is a lose-lose situation, unfortunately.

You buy the game? The next games will follow the same kind of sales, mean only digitally.

You dont buy the game? You will never see another game outside Japan.

For me, i prefer to never see another phoenix Wright game outside japan but send a strong signal to Capcom that people here in the old Continent still want physical release.

Of course this is my opinion

It's not lose-lose, one of those choices still lets you enjoy the games in English. Unless you're saying the game itself is worth less than it's delivery method, which is a completely stupid stance to me. And there is very little chance Capcom will attribute low sales to "want a boxed copy" unless you and everyone else sends emails to them directly saying why you didn't buy it.

Petrie

Banned
Is Apollo Justice worth going back to? My first time through I barely finished the first "tutorial" case if I recall because I just didn't care for the characters, but I have a week before this releases and if it gets better I'd consider going back. Thoughts?

Thoraxes

If an AA6 comes out, and the cited reason for it not getting localized is "AA5 didn't make enough money back to justify the cost of localization, therefore localizing AA6 does not make financial sense" and you stroll in saying "Fuck those guys, they should've spent more money to box up those games to satisfy me and other people" then you're gonna get daggers shot at you. Ace Attorney is on it's deathbed in the West, this is it's last chance, and if it doesn't succeed (and therefore get a shot at building up a bigger fanbase for future installments and by then you might get a boxed copy) then you cannot complain about no localized future games since you didn't do anything as AA bled out to death on the floor. You can complain and you have the right to, but by then it'll be utterly useless by then.

Just let them finish complaining about how they aren't getting the game and hate the eShop so we can get back to the fun stuff.

BlackJace

Thanks for the kind words everyone. And Crewnh, this isn't a positive words only thread, but there's plenty more places to complain about Nintendo digital.

If you have a Wii, games 1-3 are on WiiWare. There's also iOS versions but those have some pretty severe issues.
You can just buy them for cheap on Amazon.com or .co.uk.
The DS games should all be on Amazon.
Play-asia apparently have all of them in stock.
http://www.play-asia.com/paOScore/19-71-99-15-Ace+Attorney.html
The trilogy, PW, JFA, and TT all on discount. Better grab them quick!
Amazing. I'll just buy 1-3 on Wii Virtual Console and track down AA4 for GBA on Amazon. In the meantime, I'll have AA5 bought already with my FE+SMTIV credit and ready to go by the time I get around to it.

Thanks guys, had no idea these games were so readily accessible via Wii VC and amazon. Nice!

Just finished watching the first translated AAI2 case on YouTube. It was very well done.

I'm quite excited to keep watching.

Is Apollo Justice worth going back to? My first time through I barely finished the first "tutorial" case if I recall because I just didn't care for the characters, but I have a week before this releases and if it gets better I'd consider going back. Thoughts?
Yes, every game in the series is worth playing. (And considering that Apollo and other AJ character are in AA5, I would say that's even more reason to refresh yourself.)

Kazerei

Banned

I think it'd be worth it because Apollo, Trucy, and Klavier return in AA5. The last case in AA4 has some very crucial character development / backstory for all of them.

Ken

Why do people do this?

$10 on WiiWare for Ace Attorney 1 is too much for you, but $30 on the 3DS eShop is fine? $15 for the physical DS cartridge not cutting it?

Hey, I think I'm going to skip the first Godfather and jump right into part 2.

Lemme just start reading Harry Potter at the fifth book.

Well if it offends you that much I'll play through all 4 before getting 5 then.

Petrie

Banned
Just finished watching the first translated AAI2 case on YouTube. It was very well done.

I'm quite excited to keep watching.

Yes, every game in the series is worth playing. (And considering that Apollo and other AJ character are in AA5, I would say that's even more reason to refresh yourself.)

I think it'd be worth it because Apollo, Trucy, and Klavier return in AA5. The last case in AA4 has some very crucial character development / backstory for all of them.

Guess I'll suck it up and give it a go then. I'm not going to be afraid to use a guide though as I want to finish this before AA5 hits, and I'm in it for story on this one!

It's not lose-lose, one of those choices still lets you enjoy the games in English. Unless you're saying the game itself is worth less than it's delivery method, which is a completely stupid stance to me. And there is very little chance Capcom will attribute low sales to "want a boxed copy" unless you and everyone else sends emails to them directly saying why you didn't buy it.
You can send those daggers toward fans, you would still be wrong to, and it would still be on Capcom if the game fails to sell. If a signifcant enough portion doesn't buy a download version of the game to meet localization costs, then it's pretty fucking clear that going download only was a bad decision since all the people downloading it would have just as easily bought a physical version. It is impossible for two revenue streams to be worse for the title. So yeah still on Capcom, still not anti-download people's fault, still going to complain.

And where is it in it's death bead? Are we talking lower than Etrian Odyssey sales? Rune Factory? Virtue's Last Reward? Code Princess? SMT? How low we talking? The only reason AAI2 didn't come out was because it was so late into the DS cycle and piracy was so easy with the DS. Considering this game is a soft-reboot of the franchise to reintroduce Phoenix Wright on a system thats the best selling system for several months now, with no piracy to begin with from a company that can afford to put out physical releases pretty easily compared to niche companies like Xseed and atlus, I find it extremely hard to believe that Ace Attorney is in its death bed for this current release or even close to it.

I'm not going to buy something on hope alone that they'll go back to retail. Paying for potenial is fucking stupid.

demidar

You can send those daggers toward fans, you would still be wrong to, and it would still be on Capcom if the game fails to sell. If a signifcant enough portion doesn't buy a download version of the game to meet localization costs, then it's pretty fucking clear that going download only was a bad decision since all the people downloading it would have just as easily bought a physical version. It is impossible for two revenue streams to be worse for the title. So yeah still on Capcom, still not anti-download people's fault, still going to complain.

And where is it in it's death bead? Are we talking lower than Etrian Odyssey sales? Rune Factory? Virtue's Last Reward? Code Princess? SMT? How low we talking? The only reason AAI2 didn't come out was because it was so late into the DS cycle and piracy was so easy with the DS. Considering this game is a soft-reboot of the franchise to reintroduce Phoenix Wright on a system thats the best selling system for several months now, with no piracy to begin with from a company that can afford to put out physical releases pretty easily compared to niche companies like Xseed and atlus, I find it extremely hard to believe that Ace Attorney is in its death bed for this current release or even close to it.

I'm not going to buy something on hope alone that they'll go back to retail. Paying for potenial is fucking stupid.

Why do you think it's digital only? Because releasing AA5 boxed is risky enough. You have to pay for boxing, carts and retail space (I am not sure who pays for delivery). If you don't sell enough copies to clear inventory then you just wasted money for all the retail stuff, and if it completely bombs (which is possible) then Capcom actually has to pay for unsold inventory.

Digital doesn't have those problems, and has the added benefit of 100% sellthrough and higher profit margins. Me? I'm just happy to actually play the game in English, at $30 to boot and I will gladly buy this digitally. The product I want is the game's content in an understandable language, everything else is secondary to negligible.

While the fact alone that the game is digital only doesn't mean the franchise is on its deathbed, it implies Capcom doesn't have a lot of faith in the game's sales. What could be the reason for that I wonder? If Capcom were confident in their sales projections (although I admit that their projections for their other games are whacked), they would push out physical copies as well, like they do with practically every other game they localize.

I agree with not paying for potential, that's why I don't pay for Season Passes.

kewlmyc

I still can't believe I managed to avoid spoilers for this. I guess that's what happens when you stop visiting /v/.

*sighs* I hate hate hate that there's no retail copy.

Fine, I'll buy it digitally, but I won't play it. You'll get my money, but you won't get my playtime. If by chance you do release a retail copy, then I'm double dipping and playing that.

Stupid fucking Capcom run by incompetent morons leaving them with little in the bank grumble grumble grumble.

Hahahh... GAF.. Trippin as always.

Anybody know how many blocks this is?

Clott

Damn it this is right around the corner, and I still have to finish Apollo. How long is that game, and I can barley remember what I did in the first case, is there a place I can catch refresh my memory with ought having to replay the first case of Apollo?

That topic title is fantastic! XD

I'm not really understanding the hate for the HD Trilogy, yeah, it isn't perfect, but I'm not really noticing anything too bad about it, and I'm enjoying a lot! Maybe it's because I'm a first time AA player, and didn't want to buy each game individually, but the remake/port is good for what it is, IMO.

zigg

Agonizing over whether I need to pull my AA collection down off the shelf and replay first. It's been a very long time and I'm becoming an old man with the attendant memory loss ;)

Shengar

Agonizing over whether I need to pull my AA collection down off the shelf and replay first. It's been a very long time and I'm becoming an old man with the attendant memory loss ;)

Replayed it. I'm doing that and will post a RTTP after I'm done. It still one heck of a ride even though I managed to caught some flaws that I overlooked during first playthrough.

I don't know, I'm not particularly interested in arguing the digital vs. retail thing here. There aren't any options, nor will there be in the future. Whatever the result, Capcom has made the decision that this is the only way AA5 is coming here.

On one hand, I can never trade the game in, let someone else borrow it, or anything you could do with previous games (things Capcom was probably specifically tired of with regard to Ace Attorney games - they're very "one and done" for the vast majority of people). On the other hand, a new game from one of my favorite series is coming out. The way it's coming out does not so offend my sensibilities that I will keep myself from playing it, especially when it is being given to me essentially free.

My main hope is the series doesn't die in the west. Regardless of who is to blame, fans or Capcom, I just want the series to keep going. That's the most important part to me, personally.

Why do you think it's digital only? Because releasing AA5 boxed is risky enough. You have to pay for boxing, carts and retail space (I am not sure who pays for delivery). If you don't sell enough copies to clear inventory then you just wasted money for all the retail stuff, and if it completely bombs (which is possible) then Capcom actually has to pay for unsold inventory.

Digital doesn't have those problems, and has the added benefit of 100% sellthrough and higher profit margins. Me? I'm just happy to actually play the game in English, at $30 to boot and I will gladly buy this digitally. The product I want is the game's content in an understandable language, everything else is secondary to negligible.

While the fact alone that the game is digital only doesn't mean the franchise is on its deathbed, it implies Capcom doesn't have a lot of faith in the game's sales. What could be the reason for that I wonder? If Capcom were confident in their sales projections (although I admit that their projections for their other games are whacked), they would push out physical copies as well, like they do with practically every other game they localize.

I agree with not paying for potential, that's why I don't pay for Season Passes.
That's what limited print runs are for. Capcom has their own online store front, which they could make the physical version exclusive to. They could go the Xeboblade route and only sell at one one popular retailer for whatever region. Capcom is not the only company who has to go through managing all of the stuff that putting out a boxed copy for niche titles entails. Niche publishers like Atlus, xseed, aksys, etc have to deal with these things too. If they can do it, Capcom can most assuredly do it, and Ace Attorney is most assuredly better selling than most of the titles I listed. They're not so strapped for cash when they can put out a retail version of Ducktales on the Wii U of all platforms.

I want the game, but I also want ownership. I don't get that with a download copy, so I'm not willing to buy it (at least at $30 which is way too much imo). If you can excuse that just to pay to play the game, more power to you. I don't really care what other people do with their money, they can spend it on whatever. The only reason I keep coming into this conversation is because people keep accusing me and others of not being fans of the series, of killing the series, of being entitled, trying to guilt us and what have you, so I feel like I have to get into this every time.

Capcom's priorites are all put of whack. They have less faith in this but more in something like Lost Planet 3.

If it's any consolation, I am down for Layton vs. Wright since thankfully, that's getting a physical release.

oti

Banned
Did capcom provide review copies? Wonder if there will be reviews before release date.

Capcom Germany handed our review codes for print magazines a week ago. I'm not allowed to say anything before the 24th, so I guess that's when the reviews will hit.

Auskeek

I'm playing one of the Ace Attorney games I own at the moment (1,2,3) and I'm making my way through the absolute worst case I've ever played. Not really spoilers, but it's
The Circus case
. Way too long, way too uninteresting.

vareon

I'm pretty bummed I can't buy this on release and join the thread since I can only buy this in November. Oh well, my experience with the series is all LTTP so it doesn't matter anyway.

That's what limited print runs are for. Capcom has their own online store front, which they could make the physical version exclusive to. They could go the Xeboblade route and only sell at one one popular retailer for whatever region. Capcom is not the only company who has to go through managing all of the stuff that putting out a boxed copy for niche titles entails. Niche publishers like Atlus, xseed, aksys, etc have to deal with these things too. If they can do it, Capcom can most assuredly do it, and Ace Attorney is most assuredly better selling than most of the titles I listed. They're not so strapped for cash when they can put out a retail version of Ducktales on the Wii U of all platforms.

I'm not questioning your decision on buying this or not, but I consider this thinking a fallacy. At one point, a company becomes too big for its own good. Then it makes less sense to put resources on a smaller project (compared to Capcom's other projects, obviously) that will yield minimal result than allocating those resources to other project. Lost Planet 3, no matter how shit it is apparently, is theoretically a game with more mainstream appeal worldwide therefore (Capcom thinks) deserves more effort.

demidar

I want the game, but I also want ownership. I don't get that with a download copy, so I'm not willing to buy it (at least at $30 which is way too much imo). If you can excuse that just to pay to play the game, more power to you. I don't really care what other people do with their money, they can spend it on whatever. The only reason I keep coming into this conversation is because people keep accusing me and others of not being fans of the series, of killing the series, of being entitled, trying to guilt us and what have you, so I feel like I have to get into this every time.

Capcom's priorites are all put of whack. They have less faith in this but more in something like Lost Planet 3.

If it's any consolation, I am down for Layton vs. Wright since thankfully, that's getting a physical release.

Capcom's huge, at least far bigger than the other niche companies you mentioned. They've got a lot of franchises to keep up with (and to my ire, mishandled most of the ones I love), so it may not be the problem of making profit, but of making enough profit. For example, they may make 5x the investment (development, advertising, shipping, manufacturing, etc.) of AA5, but it might still be a drop in the bucket compared to say... DmC only making 1.3x back the investment. Unfortunately it's not as simple as "As long as they're making a profit we should keep them around" because then you have to factor in opportunity cost. Paying the development team's salaries, office space, software licenses, catering and housekeeping, logistics, human resources file keeping and management would be better spent on a game that would unabashedly make more money for them, not the AA franchise.

Atlus's breadwinners is the Persona (or SMT) franchise, there is a low opportunity cost to allocating resources to the development of those games because that's where the majority of their money comes from, it would behoove them financially to spend lots of resources on them. Actually, many of their franchises sell respectable amounts, none of them tower above the others such that they would want to fully invest in that franchise. Meanwhile, Capcom puts 800 people on RE6, because despite that game being a flop, it would probably still make tonnes more cash than AA5. Same for the other niche companies, they can afford to allocate resources (such as creating physical copies of their games) to their niche games because they are their breadwinners, thus provide the lowest opportunity cost. That and those niche companies have hardcore faithful who buy a lot of what they out out, which is a reliable stream of income.

The demo was spectacular, at least graphically, I can't wait to continue Wright's adventure.

So Ive read here theres a DLC case?
Is that where Maya appears? please say yes :(

Top Bottom