• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Do you people who refuse to buy a digital version of a game you know you'll enjoy realize just how expensive and complicated it is to deal with retail? And how much of a cut stores like GameStop take?
Actually retail doesn't get much of a cut on new video game sales. That's why the used game business is such a big deal. Stores that sell video games exclusively wouldn't be able to survive otherwise.

I played through the entire series in about a month and I rarely felt burnt-out.

Speak for yourself! When I got the first AA with my Mario Kart Red DS for Christmas in...05?

I got a bunch of other games with it, including freaking Mario Kart (obv) and Trauma Center.

AA was the main game I played. And after I was done I needed to decompress for a bit. That damn game.

I would have voted for this.

qTVUbYT.gif

Frolow

Banned
Should I play the DLC case before I start the main game?

No. The DLC case takes place between the events of the game and is fairly stand-alone, so you can play it are pretty much any time and still enjoy it. Not to mention it won't even be available until sometime after the game is out.

This game being eShop only was the best thing that could happen to me money wise...

Here in Mexico all the $40USD eShop games cost $800 pesos which is about $64USD, this is because they need to match the prices with the stores that sell the retail version, since this game is eShop only the game costs only $400 whooping pesos which are $32USD because there is no need to match the price with retail :D

Dremark

Banned
Japan bought 350K copies of AA5 and probably a good chunk of them at close to full price.
In US and Europe (on top of localization costs), AA5 won't probably match the japanese sales and as you can judge in this thread where many bitch about the 30$ price tag, if Capcom released a physical copy then many would simply wait for the game price to collapse at retail before purchasing it.

Localizaion costs are far lower than the initial cost in developing the game.

Also did anyone actually complain about the 30 dollar price for the game? It seemed like it was only complaints about paying 30 for a digital release.

Lusankya

I just found this blog post from Capcom's Chris:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/xantist...-free-ace-attorney---dual-destinies-ringtones

Apparently it's about to be released the upcoming monday, but I found it via the tag search.

There you can hear most of the new English voice clips of Phoenix (already known), Athena, Apollo, Miles, Gaspen, Klavier and Simon. Klavier's and Miles' Objections are new recordings.

My humble opinions:

Apollo - Need to get used to his new voice, because I really liked his old samples. But it's not bad at all.
Athena - We already knew her "Hold it!" and the other voice clips are just as expected. Although to me her "Take That!" sounds like Mia's.
Gaspen - He sounds way more confident than his brother and also way more evil. I really like it.
Klavier - Very nice, I don't think I will miss his old "Objection!" very much.
Miles - Need to get used to it.

It is a shame that this game is coming right after Pokemon because I have my hands full but will buy this not so long after its released. Got my upgraded SD card ready!
I hope it becomes a success as we need more Ace Attorney games.

The YouTube translation of AAI2 is soooooooooooooooo good. The guy did an amazing job of matching the writing style used in the previous games.

told you, I loved every second of it. I honestly couldn't believe it.
I want to keep watching but I got to go to bed. I wish I would of started with it earlier, but I thought it would just be a super dry literal translation. This is really the next best thing to actually playing the game, and he has already completed the whole thing! No throwing in the towel part way through.

It's sending my AA5 hype through the roof, though now I don't know if I'll be able to stop myself from referring to the new AAI2 characters by the names he chose. (Which have been pretty great so far.)

I think I'll give it a shot when I have the time. It's not like Capcom will ever localize it. :(
I say do it. I still think we have a shot to get AAI2 eventually, but probably not until some eventual re-release rolls around. (Or if they finally realize that an eShop release of AAI2 would be a great way to capitalize on hopeful success of AA5.)

I'm so glad I'll be completely caught up when AA5 comes out. I was really mad that I was missing out on a whole game's worth of story content.

I want to keep watching but I got to go to bed. I wish I would of started with it earlier, but I thought it would just be a super dry literal translation. This is really the next best thing to actually playing the game, and he has already completed the whole thing! No throwing in the towel part way through.

It's sending my AA5 hype through the roof, though now I don't know if I'll be able to stop myself from referring to the new AAI2 characters by the names he chose. (Which have been pretty great so far.)

I'd say it's one of the best localizations I've ever seen, and it was one dude doing it on his free time. Gonna gives you some hype by saying the last case is amazing.

I'd say it's one of the best localizations I've ever seen, and it was one dude doing it on his free time. Gonna gives you some hype by saying the last case is amazing.
I've heard good things about it.

It's such a shame that AAI2 still isn't officially in English, since almost everyone I've talked to that has played it says it's really, really good. (Leaps and bounds above the first AAI, and I like the first AAI.)

Hopefully one day we'll get a chance to play it for real, but for now, I'm extremely grateful this translation exists.

dumbyugi

http://www.capcom-unity.com/xantist...-free-ace-attorney---dual-destinies-ringtones

Apparently it's about to be released the upcoming monday, but I found it via the tag search.

There you can hear most of the new English voice clips of Phoenix (already known), Athena, Apollo, Miles, Gaspen, Klavier and Simon. Klavier's and Miles' Objections are new recordings.

Apollo - Really good, I like it better then his old voice.
Athena - Sound fine to me.
Miles - Will take a lot of time to get used to, though at least it sounds kind of British.
Gaspen - Really good, nice and evil sounding.
Klavier - Is alright, I kind of like the old voice a little better.

It'll probably be weird going back to the old games after I finish AA5. Going from new to old voices is just as hard as going from old to new.

Celine

Localizaion costs are far lower than the initial cost in developing the game.

Also did anyone actually complain about the 30 dollar price for the game? It seemed like it was only complaints about paying 30 for a digital release.
The development costs are justify by the japanese market.
The price for a retail copy would have been the usual for a 3DS third-party game (that is more than $30).

What I'm saying is that Capcom keep to develop AA games because Japan, as for state of the series in US and Europe (see how AAI performed), western fanbase should be just happy by having the possibility to play the games on their systems and in an understandable language.

Zornica

Banned
The price for a retail copy would have been the usual for a 3DS third-party game (that is more than $30).

What I'm saying is that Capcom keep to develop AA games because Japan, as for state of the series in US and Europe (see how AAI performed), western fanbase should be just happy by having the possibility to play the games on their systems and in an understandable language.

To many people in the "west" it doesn't make any difference if it's in japanese or english. They can't understand it either way and those are the fans that get fucked over by capcom. And I know there are plenty of them.

btw... there are still € and £ prices missing from the OT (24,99 and 19,99)

Shengar

This is my impression for the recurring characters with new voice.

-Phoenix: Actually good, but it still difficult to get past of his old voice after all of those 3 games. I couldn't say that I like the new voice nor hated it because of that.
-Apollo: Absolutely better than his old voice. Really fit his character
-Miles: Very similar to his old voice, though it is much better for him since its more fitting for his age.
-Klavier: Kinda meh for me, prefer his old voice little better.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
For the past couple weeks I've been blazing through the Ace Attorney series in anticipation for this. After playing the first three I'm kicking myself for not having done so sooner. Amazing story and love the characters that are part of it. Currently playing Apollo Justice, which I'm sure I'll be finishing up in the next day or so.

Oh, and here's hoping
Franziska von Karma shows up in AA5.

Squishy3

This is my impression for the recurring characters with new voice.

-Phoenix: Actually good, but it still difficult to get past of his old voice after all of those 3 games. I couldn't say that I like the new voice nor hated it because of that.
-Apollo: Absolutely better than his old voice. Really fit his character
-Miles: Very similar to his old voice, though it is much better for him since its more fitting for his age.
-Klavier: Kinda meh for me, prefer his old voice little better.
The main problem with Phoenix's voice is it sounds like the guy is doing it differently for the anime cutscenes and the courtroom scenes. So "OBJECTION!" and "Hold it!" sound different and aren't consistent with the cutscenes.

Shengar

Well, it;s just Klavier, nothing harm done right?
I'll be surprised if his devilish brother back
The main problem with Phoenix's voice is it sounds like the guy is doing it differently for the anime cutscenes and the courtroom scenes. So "OBJECTION!" and "Hold it!" sound different and aren't consistent with the cutscenes.

That, and his voice doesn't really fit Phoenix character really well by age and.....what's the word? Tone? I mean, Phoenix have
7 years of life full of misery and uncertainty
, so for me a heavier voice like Edgeworth's probably more fitting.

My humble opinions:

Apollo - Need to get used to his new voice, because I really liked his old samples. But it's not bad at all.
Athena - We already knew her "Hold it!" and the other voice clips are just as expected. Although to me her "Take That!" sounds like Mia's.
Gaspen - He sounds way more confident than his brother and also way more evil. I really like it.
Klavier - Very nice, I don't think I will miss his old "Objection!" very much.
Miles - Need to get used to it.

Payne's voice not screechy enough, pre-order cancelled

Lusankya

The spoilers in this thread.

It begins.

I think you wanted to say: "The official and already long known information in this thread."

If you consider such basic stuff that you can find everywhere to be "spoilers", then I wonder why you are here in this thread in the first place?

This will be my first 3DS eShop purchase. I bought my 3DS for this game.
I am currently replaying all the games in the series(including AAI and AAI2's fan translation). Playing the first case of JFA right now.
Does anyone have any idea how much will the DLC case cost?

2 good: Payne & Klavier
3 Ok: Wright, Athena, Apollo
2 What were they thinking?!: Blackquill, Edgeworth

Blackquill sounds like 3 separate sound bytes sliced together and Edgeworth sounds like he went through 3 puberty phases since his last appearance.

Dremark

Banned

What I am saying is that they are ignoring the requests of their potential customers, have stated publicly that the reason the previous game was skipped wasn't the result of bad sales and have done absolutely nothing to gauge whether a physical release would be successful in any viable way.

You are telling me I should be happy despite a standard release, the type of release that almost every other publisher including ones that are far smaller than Capcom and in many cases are riskier games to localize, I should just be happy to get it. I see absolutely no reason why this type of release is acceptable. Had they actually given us an opportunity to support a potential pre-order for a physical copy of the game like Vic Ireland did with Class of Heroes 2 and it didn't meet the numbers needed I would be willing to make a concession. Capcom has done nothing of this sort so I see zero reason to buy this release.

I think you wanted to say: "The official and already long known information in this thread."

If you consider such basic stuff that you can find everywhere to be "spoilers", then I wonder why you are here in this thread in the first place?
I wonder the same!

But yeah I don't want to know what characters are in this game. Is Ema in? Very likely, but I don't know for sure, and I want to have that OMFG ITS EMA reaction when playing the game, same for other characters.

I wonder the same!

But yeah I don't want to know what characters are in this game. Is Ema in? Very likely, but I don't know for sure, and I want to have that OMFG ITS EMA reaction when playing the game, same for other characters.
think of it this way; you wont know when the characters appear which can still bring a omfg moment

Frolow

Banned
Asking this again since nobody replied last time: Any word on a Midnight release, or is the game going up around the standard update time?

Top Bottom