• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Dremark

Banned
I love this series but I'm not paying anything close to full retail for a digital download. If Capcom caves and puts it out on a card or the price drops to half of what it is now I'll fork the cash over.

In the meantime I hope those who have less reservations toward this type of release enjoy it.

This has been discussed to high heaven everywhere, so I'll just say my piece and bounce.

We aren't in a world where a mainline Ace Attorney game doesn't get localized. Same as with Persona, these games are made for a worldwide audience now.

Do you really think they announced a near simultaneous worldwide release for this one and don't plan it for others? They obviously didn't do it for the first 3, but AJ and AAI were localized after they were done, which they didn't like. AAI2 came out way too late in Japan to come out here.

Digital Only is a cash grab, but they'll likely do a physical run later to placate. It'd be fine if it wasn't on the worst digital storefront in history, feature wise.

I love this series but I'm not paying anything close to full retail for a digital download. If Capcom caves and puts it out on a card or the price drops to half of what it is now I'll fork the cash over.

In the meantime I hope those who have less reservations toward this type of release enjoy it.

$30 when most 3ds games are $40. 25% difference not enough?

Let me not get banned.

ibyXkEwpKqI7kB.gif

Scher

Although I certainly understand not wanting digital download only, it's not at all full retail price. It's 30$ as opposed to 40$, which is a pretty significant difference. Fortunately, I have the FE/SMT4 promotional credit, otherwise I probably wouldn't buy it because of digital only, as well.

Dremark

Banned
$30 when most 3ds games are $40. 25% difference not enough?

For a digital download, no it's not enough.

Although I certainly understand not wanting digital download only, it's not at all full retail price. It's 30$ as opposed to 40$, which is a pretty significant difference. Fortunately, I have the FE/SMT4 promotional credit, otherwise I probably wouldn't buy it because of digital only, as well.

$30 is close enough to full retail that I'm not willing to pay it for a digital download. On the flipside though if Capcom caves and does a physical release I'm gladly pay an extra $10 on top of the $40 normal retail price.

Here in Australia, retail 3DS games cost $60+, so you'll excuse me if I am unsympathetic.

lol bitching about $30.

It's more that I'm complaining about the way it's being released than the money.

L~A

Only 6 days left... man, I can't wait. I'm downloading this baby day one. Did Capcom tell whether it'd be a midnight download or not? I'm gonna check anyway.

24.99€, 40€, I don't really care. Just wanna play the damn game, it's been more than 4 years since the last localised AA game.

Q: Should I play other titles in the series in order to understand this installment?
A: YES. This is a story drive game after-all. And seriously, AA games are some of the best adventure games ever, get on that shit immediately. Stay AWAY from the iOS trilogy though. Far away.

So what excactly is so bad about the HD trilogy on iOS? I'm getting an iPhone 5s next week and was planning to pick it up since I never played an AA game before (don't have a DS). Is it really that terrible or is it just a bit inferior to the originals? In other words, is it still worth getting if it's my only option of playing these games?

georly

So what excactly is so bad about the HD trilogy on iOS? I'm getting an iPhone 5s next week and was planning to pick it up since I never played an AA game before (don't have a DS). Is it really that terrible or is it just a bit inferior to the originals? In other words, is it still worth getting if it's my only option of playing these games?

I think the sprite work is smoothed over, so it doesn't look as good. Don't know what else. Pretty sure it's cheaper, too.

BlackJace

Misspelling, lagging story cues, weird detail highlight, off centering, missing text, music cues in the wrong place, etc.

If it's the ONLY way for you play, then you should still probably try it.

Brashnir

Misspelling, lagging story cues, weird detail highlight, off centering, missing text, music cues in the wrong place, etc.

If it's the ONLY way for you play, then you should still probably try it.

The DS games are all playable on 3DS, so if you can play this one, you can play all the others.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

From another thread:

I can't recommend the iOS version to anyone. It's simply too much of a downgrade from the DS releases. The only improvements are the visuals and pricing, but other than that it's worse in about everything else.

-Missing animation frames (no blinking, sometimes people don't open their mouths when talking or are missing one of their talking frames, etc.).
-Sometimes a character does the wrong animation entirely.
-GBA-quality soundtrack for the 2nd & 3rd games (this should be a dealbreaker to you; you must hear the amazing soundtrack this series offers in the best quality possible).
-Pearl's theme is gone.
-More typos.
-Overall performance is worse. Some parts lag for no particular reason.
-Worse presentation, such as the user interface popping in and out every time someone talks.
-Sound effects are off. The "not guilty" cheer is cut-off halfway through, for example.

I wholly recommend getting the DS versions of the games instead, unless money is a real issue for you.

Thanks for the replies. Ugh, guess I'll hold off on buying it than. Maybe I'll get a 3DS eventually to play the DS versions and this game too. Btw, is the Ghost Trick iOS port also butchered? I was planning on getting that one too.

Frolow

Banned
I don't know, I'm not particularly interested in arguing the digital vs. retail thing here. There aren't any options, nor will there be in the future. Whatever the result, Capcom has made the decision that this is the only way AA5 is coming here.

On one hand, I can never trade the game in, let someone else borrow it, or anything you could do with previous games (things Capcom was probably specifically tired of with regard to Ace Attorney games - they're very "one and done" for the vast majority of people). On the other hand, a new game from one of my favorite series is coming out. The way it's coming out does not so offend my sensibilities that I will keep myself from playing it, especially when it is being given to me essentially free.

My main hope is the series doesn't die in the west. Regardless of who is to blame, fans or Capcom, I just want the series to keep going. That's the most important part to me, personally.
Spot on.

The whole boycott movement, from some people, is completely moronic. Purposely skipping out on the game it isn't going to make Capcom think "Oh, AA5 didn't sell well in the West? I guess we should've made a retail version so all those boycotters would've bought it!" No, they're going to think "AA5 didn't sell well in the West? I guess Westerns simply aren't interested in the franchise anymore"

Thanks for the replies. Ugh, guess I'll hold off on buying it than. Maybe I'll get a 3DS eventually to play the DS versions and this game too. Btw, is the Ghost Trick iOS port also butchered? I was planning on getting that one too.

No, Ghost Trick on iOS plays pretty damn well. You can buy it with no worries.

CorvoSol

I don't know, I'm not particularly interested in arguing the digital vs. retail thing here. There aren't any options, nor will there be in the future. Whatever the result, Capcom has made the decision that this is the only way AA5 is coming here.

On one hand, I can never trade the game in, let someone else borrow it, or anything you could do with previous games (things Capcom was probably specifically tired of with regard to Ace Attorney games - they're very "one and done" for the vast majority of people). On the other hand, a new game from one of my favorite series is coming out. The way it's coming out does not so offend my sensibilities that I will keep myself from playing it, especially when it is being given to me essentially free.

My main hope is the series doesn't die in the west. Regardless of who is to blame, fans or Capcom, I just want the series to keep going. That's the most important part to me, personally.

Exactly, I have my FEA/SMT4 credits to go toward it, digital isn't so huge a thing I'll slight Ace Attorney for it, and above all I want to do my part to ensure another Ace Attorney game comes out/the series doesn't die, so I'll buy and not even think twice.

i think the framerate is a bit lower on ios too, but its still well worth $9.99 or w/e they charging for it.

I'm in the same position as you, and have been enjoying the Trilogy. I can't compare to the DS versions, but I can understand the complaints about the art style looking off due to the smoother look of the sprites. I'm a fan of the older style graphics, but as they are, they look good.

Most of my enjoyment of the Trilogy is likely due to my ignorance of the differences from the originals, but they are well worth the cost, IMO. If you don't want to drop a bunch of cash for each individual game, the Trilogy is a good option, and probably even better for newcomers trying to save some money.

L~A

From another thread:

You know, I just don't understand why Capcom hasn't announced an Ace Attorney Trilogy on 3DS, with improved visuals and WiiWare-grade music (it's actually the best version of the soundtrack available. Believe it was release as Gyakuten Saiban soundbook in Japan). I'd pay 50€ for that if need be... yup, I just love Ace Attorney THAT much. I replay the games regularly, so I'm totally in if that happens.

Same for Level-5 and the Layton games. I started with Miracle's Mask, and want to play the other games in the series, but they're so damn expensive new. And besides, I'd rather have a "remastered" version.

Nyoro SF

You know, I just don't understand why Capcom hasn't announced an Ace Attorney Trilogy on 3DS, with improved visuals and WiiWare-grade music (it's actually the best version of the soundtrack available. Believe it was release as Gyakuten Saiban soundbook in Japan). I'd pay 50€ for that if need be... yup, I just love Ace Attorney THAT much. I replay the games regularly, so I'm totally in if that happens.

Same for Level-5 and the Layton games. I started with Miracle's Mask, and want to play the other games in the series, but they're so damn expensive new. And besides, I'd rather have a "remastered" version.

Yes Svennson was pushing for the trilogy idea while he was at Capcom and got denied.

GSR

For those wondering how much the other games tie into this one (just a ranking, no spoilers but tagging it in case):

AJ is most involved, then JFA, then PWAA/T&T, then AAI/AAI2.

That said, the team doesn't rely overmuch on past games. You'll definitely get more out of it if you've played some of the previous ones, but AA5 could work standalone.

Spot on.

The whole boycott movement, from some people, is completely moronic. Purposely skipping out on the game it isn't going to make Capcom think "Oh, AA5 didn't sell well in the West? I guess we should've made a retail version so all those boycotters would've bought it!" No, they're going to think "AA5 didn't sell well in the West? I guess Westerns simply aren't interested in the franchise anymore"
Skipping out on a version of a game you dont want to pay for is not moronic. Why would anyone pay for something they dont want? I guess you better hope there isn't a signifcant amount of people skipping out on the game.

skipping on games because of morales is fine. Popping into an OT of a game and post about how you ain't buying the game... well I don't know what to say.

how does dlc costumes work? Can you change outfits whenever?

Frolow

Banned
Skipping out on a version of a game you dont want to pay for is not moronic. Why would anyone pay for something they dont want? I guess you better hope there isn't a signifcant amount of people skipping out on the game.

You're making it seem like there are alternatives to buying the digital version. Unless Capcom decides to pull a "Limited Edition Retail Version" in a year or two, or some other bullshit, there isn't going to be any alternatives.

For those wondering how much the other games tie into this one (just a ranking, no spoilers but tagging it in case):

AJ is most involved, then JFA, then PWAA/T&T, then AAI/AAI2.

That said, the team doesn't rely overmuch on past games. You'll definitely get more out of it if you've played some of the previous ones, but AA5 could work standalone.

JFA? :eek:

L~A

Yes Svennson was pushing for the trilogy idea while he was at Capcom and got denied.

Yeah, I remember that. We never got any news on that, but since Svensson isn't at Capcom anymore, I knew this was dead. I know I used to be quite vocal about Svensson, but I have that since he left, I've been quite worried about the future of the franchise in the West. He may have been the only person preventing Capcom from totally ditching the West as far as localisations are concerned.

DLC case is great, I hope people like it :D

Still not sure how much of an emotional rollercoaster a case about a whale could be, but HYPE RISING.

Nothing gonna top Rise from Ashes
and Damon Gant
except for Trial and Tribulation final case
and Godot

Speaking of Rise from the Ashes, I wonder how Ema and Lana are doing? Don't recall Ema talking about her in AA4, though that's probably because Apollo's the lead in that and had nothing to do with that case.

And speaking of Apollo,
will he ever find out Trucy's his sister?

Anyways, yeah, nothing can top AA3's final case. :p Might be equaled, but probably not in the span of one game.

epmode

skipping on games because of morales is fine. Popping into an OT of a game and post about how you ain't buying the game... well I don't know what to say.

Where else would someone post that they're not going to buy a game that they would have bought otherwise? Posting here is fine.

Hell, I would be posting the same thing if this wasn't Phoenix Wright. I think Capcom found my breaking point when it comes to Nintendo's awful, awful system. That $30 credit from SMT4 and FE didn't hurt either.

That line of thinking doesn't work, though. You actually do want the game, but not in the format it's in.

It's like... saying you wanted some cake, but instead of your favorite chocolate cake, you get vanilla. Sure, it's not the same flavor you prefer, but you'd still enjoy it if you take a bite. If you complain and not bother with the cake, then the person who took the time to make the cake would probably not make cake for you anymore since their work isn't appreciated. And maybe, they won't make cake for anyone else if they feel like it's a waste of time and effort.

Sure, the person making the cake is also partially at fault here, but they wouldn't be in this situation if someone hadn't complained and refused to eat the cake they made. Maybe if the complainer cooperated and ate the vanilla cake, they would get the chocolate cake they really wanted later on, and everyone else can also get a piece of that. And if they don't? Well, you still liked that vanilla cake, didn't you?

Basically, what I'm trying to say here is that I don't want something like this to ruin the series for the rest of us. You are obviously not alone in your opinion, so the ones who are getting this game are rightfully worried that this may be the last one we get, which is why we're urging you to get a game that, ultimately, you do actually want.

You're making it seem like there are alternatives to buying the digital version. Unless Capcom decides to pull a "Limited Edition Retail Version" in a year or two, or some other bullshit, there isn't going to be any alternatives.
No, I'm making it sound like I don't want to pay that much for something I don't want. I don't expect a physical release in the future.

There's waiting for a sale and though there are no alternatives to buy the game aside from buying a Japanese 3DS with a Japanese physical copy (because surprise, not only is Nintendo's account system shitty, their region locking is too), there are alternatives to experiencing the story.

jschreier

Do you people who refuse to buy a digital version of a game you know you'll enjoy realize just how expensive and complicated it is to deal with retail? And how much of a cut stores like GameStop take?

Frolow

Banned
No, I'm making it sound like I don't want to pay that much for something I don't want. I don't expect a physical release in the future.

There's waiting for a sale and though there are no alternatives to buy the game aside from buying a Japanese 3DS with a Japanese physical copy (because surprise, not only is Nintendo's account system shitty, their region locking is too), there are alternatives to experiencing the story.
You would rather read a plot summery on Wikipedia than play the actual game? You're purposely gimping yourself then. And I get it, Nintendo's policies are bullshit. Nobody is denying that and I'd rather not support them either. However, is it worth it to miss out on a series you enjoy and potentially cause future titles, in that very same series, to not ever be localized?

That line of thinking doesn't work, though. You actually do want the game, but not in the format it's in.

It's like... saying you wanted some cake, but instead of your favorite chocolate cake, you get vanilla. Sure, it's not the same flavor you prefer, but you'd still enjoy it if you take a bite. If you complain and not bother with the cake, then the person who took the time to make the cake would probably not make cake for you anymore since their work isn't appreciated. And maybe, they won't make cake for anyone else if they feel like it's a waste of time and effort.

Sure, the person making the cake is also partially at fault here, but they wouldn't be in this situation if someone hadn't complained and refused to eat the cake they made. Maybe if the complainer cooperated and ate the vanilla cake, they would get the chocolate cake they really wanted later on, and everyone else can also get a piece of that. And if they don't? Well, you still liked that vanilla cake, didn't you?

Basically, what I'm trying to say here is that I don't want something like this to ruin the series for the rest of us. You are obviously not alone in your opinion, so the ones who are getting this game are rightfully worried that this may be the last one we get, which is why we're urging you to get a game that, ultimately, you do actually want.
How the fuck is it my fault the cake maker is making the wrong kind of cake when I fucking bought all five of the cakes he put out right out of the oven?

No I would not fucking enjoy it if I took a bite out if, I hate vanilla. I would hate spending $30 on a flavour I despise. If the baker is so damn stupid and gets teary eyed from me not wanting to buy his cake to want to quit baking, then that's his choice. Maybe he should have thought about that when he made vanilla instead of chocolate like the five other times.

Why should I and others buy it for the benefit of you guys? What do we get out of it? I want cake, but not vanilla. Fuck that.

L00P

Yeah, I don't really see the big deal about the game being digital. The excuses that people give to not buy the game seems pretty contrived

Do you people who refuse to buy a digital version of a game you know you'll enjoy realize just how expensive and complicated it is to deal with retail? And how much of a cut stores like GameStop take?

Don't know, clearly someone needs to write about this!

I'm just glad i don't have qualms and morales about digital ownerships and stuff. Unless it's actually hindering me from playing game i bought like uplay or origin, i'm fine. 3DS would be great if it had an account system, but I've bought and dled quite a few games, simple process. Will lose all my games if my 3ds is stolen, but i tend to bring my 3ds carts around in my bag too, so i would lose most shit anyways.

i hope the game is more like aa1-aa3. the music was unsettling(kinda giving off a spooky vibe) and the cases were darker/creepier than previous

plsssss
ive gotten over it but considering capcom is doing a retail release of ducktales i figured i might wait out aa5

Dremark

Banned

I understand where you are coming from and I can't say I completely disagree with you. However the picture is bigger than that as well. I want to be able to continue to purchase physical copies of games and if I cave and give Capcom $30 for this I am telling them that it's acceptable for them to do so and the type of cake that I want to eat runs the chance of not being made anymore.

I'm sure we would both prefer if we each had our own choice of cake and we could eat it together happily, but the reality of the situation is that isn't going to happen. You have your opinion on the subject and I have mine. I respect the fact that you are willing to bite the bullet and support a release that is less than favorable because you love the series but I would like if you would understand where people with other viewpoints are coming from.

I personally don't blame anyone for buying it though, I love the series and as I said earlier I hope all of you enjoy it. I feel the need to take a stand and maybe I'll play it a few years down the line when it's dropped in line with a price I feel is acceptable for a digital only release. Maybe by the time the next AA game comes out Capcom will have wake up and give us a choice, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Dremark

Banned

There are plenty of other games that are released at retail and make money. Quite a few of them are from Capcom and Capcom reps themselves have stated that the last game in the series released in the US sold well and that the reason the sequel was skipped was because of timing and people busy on other projects.

I literally see zero justification as to why this game is being released digital only. I don't mind it when a small team makes an indie game and only does digital distro as it's the only thing that's viable for them and it's priced accordingly. Capcom is more than capable of doing a physical release unless they blatantly lied about the sales figures from the previous game.

Squishy3

Retail stores don't take as much of a cut as people like to think they do. New games by themselves aren't very profitable. GameStop gets a better deal than smaller stores, but after shipping to regional warehouse, then to the individual stores, it's going to be a profit margin in line with what smaller stores make, which is around $5 per copy. I know when I worked at a smaller store our wholesale prices for games were always $5 below MSRP, without including shipping. So realistically we made a couple dollars per new title sold.

You would rather read a plot summery on Wikipedia than play the actual game? You're purposely gimping yourself then. And I get it, Nintendo's policies are bullshit. Nobody is denying that. I'd rather not support them either. However, is it worth it to miss out on a series you enjoy and potentially cause future titles in that very same series to not be localized?
Nah, I'd rather watch it on youtube than pay money for something I dont want. I wont be missing out on anything. Capcom? Theyre missing out on some sales, thats the choice they made.

See this is what I'm talking about, this guilt trip bullshit. Am I coming to you guys and trying to convince you to not buy the game? Go buy it, who's stopping you? If the series ends because of low sales of this title, thats on Capcom, no matter how much you want to blame the anti-download crowd.

Is Capcom so financially strained where we should give a shit how much it would cost for them? Especially when they released a physical copy in Japan? If it's so costly to go retail and they just had to go download only, why only stick with the 3DS? Why not release on every download platform? This series was a GBA series and has been released on other download platforms like Wiiware and iOS.

I realize that niche companies can manage to do it by some crazy voodoo magic. If Capcom is hurting so bad, they could have always done this: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=511571

Top Bottom