• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

vctor182

Just got to case 4 so far it's been really great, so far I haven't been stuck at court wondering what evidence to present like the other games (especially case 5 of the first game, it was brutal) they give more hints and investigation is faster since you can't look or examine everything. Also they're giving away the villains really quick

Leeness

It's over! :(

Lots of fun, great game, even if the writing was off (they just can't match the originals).

Off to spoiler thread!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
CbKkR7Z.jpg

Ok GAF, you win...I am ready to consume all.

(AA1-3 I am working through still on iPad, not shown)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
FullBright is really an outstanding character.much better than Ema.. But Gumshoe still takes the cake for me.

I do hope Gumshoe returns. The theme and character are just far too good.

But I do love Fulbright and his unending optimism. They should come back together as a duo for JUSTICE.

FluxWaveZ

For the love of God if anyone here hasn't finished the game don't click the URL in this post, there's some serious spoiler conversation going on in the comments.

No one still playing AA5 should read the comments of any Youtube video relating to Ace Attorney.

AniHawk

through three cases and it's still trudging along, but case 3 was clearly the best one of the bunch (and there's a definite 'shit got real' moment in the final trial). hoping 4 and 5 can save something of a dull experience.

case 2 was boring, I kinda liked the characters but holy shit that was bad.

I'm in case 3, seems like it's getting better... and I know, everyone says 4-5 are fucking amazing.

Gestahl

I liked the actual plot points of Case 2 but the journey just seemed infuriating. So much stupid shit goes on inbetween the major revelations. Case 3 really helped turn my opinion of the game around back when I played through the game a week and a half ago.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Are people really that down on Case 2? I thought it was a pretty solid case... not one of the series highlights, but still good.

Though yeah, 3 is where it really picks up steam and 4-5 are some Antonio Banderas gif shit.

XPE

Truth be told, the investigations drags a bit, but the trial has been amazing so far!

Oh and I love the anime scenes, shakes things up!

You hit the nail on the head the only real problem with AA5 is the investigation for case 2 out stays its welcome.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Are people really that down on Case 2? I thought it was a pretty solid case... not one of the series highlights, but still good.

Though yeah, 3 is where it really picks up steam and 4-5 are some Antonio Banderas gif shit.

I thought it was fine, but I also like the kind of mythology that was all over that case so that could be part of it.

daydream

Banned
Finished Case 4 and 5 yesterday. I'll post my impressions in the spoiler thread, but needless to say, it was quite a ride.

IN JUSTICE WE TRUST

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
really disappointed.

Even when things got craaaazy, it all felt by the numbers.

Oh? You're going to do the "hold it", cut to black, flash between characters looking shocked, then land on the final character? Again?

It didn't have any interesting new ideas. The cases and settings lacked character. The writing was mostly cringe-worthy.

If i never read the words "dark age of the law" again, I'll be happy.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I'm only in the third case so haven't read much to avoid spoilers, but is it just my imagination or is there a lot more hand-holding in this game compared to the previous ones? Been a while since I played the series, but with examination being (so far) being reserved for crime scenes only, and pretty much after every discussion you're told who you're supposed to talk to next it feels like it the investigations bit is just clicking dialogue boxes.

McNum

I'm only in the third case so haven't read much to avoid spoilers, but is it just my imagination or is there a lot more hand-holding in this game compared to the previous ones? Been a while since I played the series, but with examination being (so far) being reserved for crime scenes only, and pretty much after every discussion you're told who you're supposed to talk to next it feels like it the investigations bit is just clicking dialogue boxes.
You're not wrong. Investigations have been streamlined in this game, quite a bit, too. You even have a Notes part in the court record to check if you don't know where to go next. Personally, I like it, but they may have gone a little too far into streamlining things. Still, I prefer it to the pixel hunt on every screen to find that last piece of evidence you don't know about that the previous games had.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just finished the game.

Case 5 level of intensity definitely peaked in the first two thirds, once you figured out who
the identity of the phantom
the level of momentum started to fall a lot afterwards imo, and I love how undramatic
the sniper shot was portrayed, I mean the lack of any dramatic reaction from the cast was like wut?

The DLC case can't come soon enough.

I fucking love character breakdowns, is my most aniticipated thing every time I start a new game of Ace Attorney. And all the ones in this game are some of the best of the series.
Fulbright
as the last has one of the most epic of the series and I love that even
Yuri Cosmos has one in Case 4 without being a real villian.

I really miss
Maya.... :(

I don't know why the current creators of the game series
seem so averse in making her appear in any of the games anymore :(

Well,
she is going to appear in AA6, her letter and Pearl talked about that.
Apollo Justice was the problem in this equation, not even saying her name in the whole game was stupid, I'm pretty sure she doesn't appear in this game so they don't blow all fanservice in one game (AA5), thats why they put Pearl and Edgeworth. 27 year old Maya is going to be faboulous, and they know it will be a big surprise and something to look forward for fans.

My bet is that Gumshoe (they are not going to create a new detective after Fulbright) and Maya are in the next game.

Brashnir

I fucking love character breakdowns, is my most aniticipated thing every time I start a new game of Ace Attorney. And all the ones in this game are some of the best of the series.
Fulbright
as the last has one of the most epic of the series and I love that even
Yuri Cosmos has one in Case 4 without being a real villian.

Well,
she is going to appear in AA6, her letter and Pearl talked about that.
Apollo Justice was the problem in this equation, not even saying her name in the whole game was stupid, I'm pretty sure she doesn't appear in this game so they don't blow all fanservice in one game (AA5), thats why they put Pearl and Edgeworth. 27 year old Maya is going to be faboulous, and they know it will be a big surprise and something to look forward for fans.

My bet is that Gumshoe (they are not going to create a new detective after Fulbright) and Maya are in the next game.

I think they really did a good job by
providing appearances from old favorite characters without hammering the player over the head with them. They could have really overdone it, throwing Butz, Lotta, Oldbag, etc in different cases, but I appreciated their restraint this time. I'm sure they'll all show up again at some point, but it's best to use them judiciously.

Gestahl

You're not wrong. Investigations have been streamlined in this game, quite a bit, too. You even have a Notes part in the court record to check if you don't know where to go next. Personally, I like it, but they may have gone a little too far into streamlining things. Still, I prefer it to the pixel hunt on every screen to find that last piece of evidence you don't know about that the previous games had.

There's definitely a middle ground they're missing. I'm watching playthroughs of the first and I am so thankful that the completely arbitrary and asinine wandering around trying to trigger plot flags aspect of the gameplay was put to bed. The Steel Samurai case was particularly egregious on this front.

vctor182

Case 4:
Stuck at the part right after
Fullbright gives you the fingerprint tests while investigating with Phoenix the Cosmic Center
. What do I do next?

DaBoss

Already did that
saw the bullet hole in the screen and the bullet next to moon walking simulator, am I supposed to turn the image back on?

Click on the thing in the top middle of the first view.
You'll see sharp thing sticking out of it.

vctor182

Click on the thing in the top middle of the first view.
You'll see sharp thing sticking out of it.

You mean the
Fragment of the oxygen tank
? Already did that and showed all the evidence I have to all the characters and still won't advance

I think they really did a good job by
providing appearances from old favorite characters without hammering the player over the head with them. They could have really overdone it, throwing Butz, Lotta, Oldbag, etc in different cases, but I appreciated their restraint this time. I'm sure they'll all show up again at some point, but it's best to use them judiciously.

Yeah im pretty sure from now on we only will have as "fanservice" really big important characters (with that I mean partners and prosecutors material) of the original trilogy, because they are important as they are really mains with Phoenix. Things like Oldbag, Butz and Lotta are not needed anymore, and those are going to be the ones replaced by new characters
(Juniper is the new Butz for example)
But they have build a background story of important characters for Phoenix' life that you can't make dissapear totally without having a big and bad impact for continuity.

When Wright dissapears forever (maybe never, they tried once and we all know how it went), that is when those important background characters will never appear in the games.

If AA6 continues with the trend of a
Law firm, we could have the chance of seeing Phoenix, Apollo and Athena with a different partner each (for example Phoenix with Maya, Apollo with Trucy and Athena with, I dunno, Pearl?)
And i'm pretty sure that the 3D models of Pearl, Edgeworth and Trucy were done to appear in multiple games, just look at Pearl or Trucy, they are minimally used in the game.

And I wouldn't mind to see
Juniper as the judge in one of the cases of the third game of this trilogy or something. Im of the opinion that all the characters of the 3rd case were done in the metality of bigger things to come for them in the next games

Dorj

Banned
Holy crap, Case 5! This is just.....this is just........aaaaaaaargh (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

Case 2 has one thing that really bugs the hell out of me:
How did Filch not see the unconscious body of the mayor in the Forbidden Chamber? Or was the time window between him entering the chamber and the door being opened so short?

hat_hair

Case 2 has one thing that really bugs the hell out of me:
How did Filch not see the unconscious body of the mayor in the Forbidden Chamber? Or was the time window between him entering the chamber and the door being opened so short?

That, plus it was pretty dark if opening the doors blinded him.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I haven't had a chance to finish Case 5 yet, but the 'big twist' at the end of Case 4 seems pretty par for the course for Phoenix Wright.

vladdamad

Finished up Case 4 and started Case 5, HOLY SHIT. WHAT IS HAPPENING.
Athena's fingerprints? Pearl finally appears? MILES EDGEWORTH??
I think this could be my favourite AA case yet. I have a theory about a certain character -
Athena could be a robot?
- but I'm not sure. Obviously don't tell me if I'm right or wrong. Can't wait to finish this thing

Top Bottom