• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Tizoc

Godot will make you look at coffee in a completely different light:
"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself... That is coffee"

SO DEEP!

789shadow

Banned
Danganronpa does something similar, where at the end of a trial, you have to put the murder together by arranging pictures in a comic/manga-like template. I could see that fit Ace Attorney too.

Was hoping for more video scrubbing footage/evidence like in Case 5 of AA1 on DS.
Yeah, the whatever-that-part-is-called reminded me a lot of Danganronpa's Climax Logic.

Climax Logic was so dope in Danganronpa I won't lie I got legit excited when AA5 did it's version of it.

Also Godot isn't even the best character with a coffee gimmick/obsession, that would be Agent York :p

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
On day 2 investigation of case 3.

This is the first case in a while where it took a while for me to figure out who the real killer is. But I'm pretty sure I have a clear idea at this point... the "how" is going be VERY interesting though. Can't wait to see how it plays out :D

Zornica

Banned
finally beat it just now.
all in all it was a pretty good ride, even though I had higher expectations for the last case... while questioning
fulbright
I was waiting for some kind of epic U-turn but it never happened...

there were only 2 things I didn't like about the game:

- the localisation, I am not even mad about all the spelling errors, but somehow it felt lacking... I can't put my finger on it but something was missing

- furthermore I just HATE american voices in japanese products, may it be anime, games or whatever. I just can't stand them (with the exception of the world ends with you) - I am fine with british voices though. so naturally most of those very nice cut scenes were very painfully to watch... too bad, because the production values overall were outstanding.

minor stuff:

the game was kinda easy. even though I liked not having to scroll 20 minutes through text I already read after a game over it also took the edge of... They could have built in some sort of penalty like a counter that shows you how bad you are for failing X times.

the art was way to good :7 I just couldn't decide if I should watch the characters move or read the text.

the soundtrack was great an all, but I'd have preferred a more back to basics not-orchestrated OST.

Not sure if those are spoilers... but just in case

finally beat it just now.
all in all it was a pretty good ride, even though I had higher expectations for the last case... while questioning
fulbright
I was waiting for some kind of epic U-turn but it never happened...
I finished it yesterday and this is my position too. I think the holy shit moment came from
Fulbright being the Phantom but nothing else really made me go wow and it just doesn't have that same satisfying feel of some of the older games' Villain takedown, but still it was a hell of a ride.

Overall it was still a great experience. Case 3 still is my favourite case here and the first AA game remains my favourite.

Zornica

Banned
I finished it yesterday and this is my position too. I think the holy shit moment came from
Fulbright being the Phantom but nothing else really made me go wow and it just doesn't have that same satisfying feel of some of the older games' Villain takedown, but still it was a hell of a ride.

Overall it was still a great experience. Case 3 still is my favourite case here and the first AA game remains my favourite.

I know what you mean. It's all about that last piece of evidence that puts the final nail in his testimony. The moment when the bad guy realizes that it's over. but something like that was missing in AA5... because the last evidence didn't seem as strong to me.

jrDev

On day 2 investigation of case 3.

This is the first case in a while where it took a while for me to figure out who the real killer is. But I'm pretty sure I have a clear idea at this point... the "how" is going be VERY interesting though. Can't wait to see how it plays out :D
How did you figure it out? I'm finishing up case 3 and the game is finally telling me who it is. I suspect everyone but never really expected it after what the case has been twisting my brain with...

Caved yesterday. Just got past the part from the demo. Really liking it so far. The production values (graphics, music) are both great. Hopefully the investigation side will be a little more interesting than the last AA game I played (Justice for All).

LiK

Caved yesterday. Just got past the part from the demo. Really liking it so far. The production values (graphics, music) are both great. Hopefully the investigation side will be a little more interesting than the last AA game I played (Justice for All).
investigation is alright. There's a lot less game compared to previous games. They made it much easier.

9BR

Neo Member
JUST FINISHED CASE 5. Scratch what I previously had said, shit got awesome by the 4th case oh my god THE TWISTS. GODDAMN. I genuinely could NOT put the 3DS down the whole freaking day, I wanted to know everything.
(Case 4 spoilers)
THE MOMENT BLACKQUILL ANNOUNCED THAT THEY FOUND ATHENA'S PRINTS ON THAT LIGHTER AND THE MUSIC HIT. FFFFFUUUU
(Case 5 spoilers)
DAMMIT I WAS EXPECTING TO SEE AN ACTUAL FACE, MAN. WHYYYYYYYYYYY. :(
Anyway, despite the above spoiler, I'm very satisfied. Absolutely amazing. Blackquill is nowhere near my favorite prosecutor but now I don't dislike him the way I did in my previous post. He's cool in my book. :')

The feels.

Leeness

Case 5

Pearls is here and Edgeworth and a letter from Maya and Edgeworth and Nick talk on the phone all the time apparently, I can't.

I CAN'T. :')

Case 5 major spoilers

I haven't finished the case yet, but I already know who the phantom is, and that makes me sad. I really liked him :( Especially in 3, 4 and 5. The fact that the real one is dead makes me even more sad, haha. Poor guy.

tumblr_mrsj0qzdaE1qddjtxo1_500.jpg

OTP

Zornica

Banned
How did you figure it out? I'm finishing up case 3 and the game is finally telling me who it is. I suspect everyone but never really expected it after what the case has been twisting my brain with...

It was pretty obvious as soon as they
discussed the different philosophies of means and the victim...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just finished Case 3 which was probably my favorite case so far - few random thoughts.

I bet
hugh o'conners big secret in addition to taking his 7-year break is that during that 7-year break he played NOTHING but video games and watched anime all-day all while getting spoiled silly by his ultra-rich parents.. basically living the stereotypical NEET life

Lots of funny misdirections in the case
namely the positions where the body was moved, the argument that the recording actually said hugh o conner (which was pretty hilarious) and there's the whole opening sequence of case 3 which misdirects you into thinking one of the main trio is the killer

Not sure if this is a plot-hole but was the whole thing
with june walking past hugh in the hallway and seeing his hand covered in blood actually addressed? or was the blood due to the injury? I was playing through this portion half-asleep so forgive me!

The animations of
Means in his angry state were fucking awesome.. that is all, easily one of the better AA villians!

Now time to start Case 4 mmmm.

with june walking past hugh in the hallway and seeing his hand covered in blood actually addressed? or was the blood due to the injury? I was playing through this portion half-asleep so forgive me!

Myriam boobytrapped her trial script so that it would knife anyone who opened it. Hugh opened her script that night, believing it was Juniper's, in order to get an advantage in the trial, but ended up having his hand slashed.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just finished Case 3 which was probably my favorite case so far - few random thoughts.

I bet
hugh o'conners big secret in addition to taking his 7-year break is that during that 7-year break he played NOTHING but video games and watched anime all-day all while getting spoiled silly by his ultra-rich parents.. basically living the stereotypical NEET life

Lots of funny misdirections in the case
namely the positions where the body was moved, the argument that the recording actually said hugh o conner (which was pretty hilarious) and there's the whole opening sequence of case 3 which misdirects you into thinking one of the main trio is the killer

The animations of
Means in his angry state were fucking awesome.. that is all, easily one of the better AA villians!

Now time to start Case 4 mmmm.

He cut his hand trying to open Myriam's booby-trapped script.

yami4ct

Alright, finally wrapped up the second part of Case 5. I have to say guys, it's not the "what a twist" you all were hyping it up to be. It's kind of the kind of twist I dislike when AA pulls.
I really dislike when you just aren't given enough info before trial to indite the killer. The fact that Fullbright was pretty much unrelated to the case prior to trial wasn't very interesting
I also kind of love/hate the second twist for a similar reason.
Fullbright not being Fullbright was shocking, but didn't have much value. You had no reason to believe that prior to the case, so it's kind of a 'so what' when it actually happens. It's a twist for twist sake

Overall, I really enjoyed AA5. It's probably the most consistent game in the series. The highs aren't as high as the best of 1 or 3 (or maybe even as high as the one high of 2), but the lows aren't nearly as low either. I think I'll echo some and say Case 3 was probably my favorite. The killer might have been obvious, but it didn't have nearly the amount of ridiculous twists 5 had. 5 was a lot of fun, though. I guess my ranking so far would be.

3>5>=1>4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2(that game can just stop existing).

I don't remember enough to really rank Investigations, but I do remember liking it way better than 2, but not as much as 4.

AA5 has a lot going for it. The cases are a ton of fun and I like the it's a lot more completely tied together plot wise than a lot of other games in the series. More than just two cases matter and relate to each other. That's a real strength that 3 had and is something that works equally well here. I also thought Blackquill was a ton of fun, but didn't really get his due as a prosecutor. He was taken out of the picture/interrupted far too much and it hurt his place in the story. Now that
he's free from his story obligations
, I'd love to see him get a place in a future AA or maybe even in an Investigations style game.

On the negative end, I don't think the secondary characters were quite as strong this time around. I didn't find Starbuck or the Case 2 girl to be all that interesting and I hated Scuttlebutt. She was way too over the top, even for AA. I also am going to be a voice of decent and say I really didn't like Athena. Her story was great, but the character was really flat for me. I think her constantly consistent demeanor really hurt her depth for me and I found her power to be kind of ridiculous. Her personality quirks really did nothing for me either. If she becomes just another Trucy and kind of fades into the background going forward, I'd be OK with that.

Despite these flaws, Ace Attorney 5 really works. The dialogue is as sharp as ever and it's just fun. Even when I encountered aspects I didn't enjoy, I still was having a ton of fun. Cannot wait for the inevitable next game.

On trial day 1 of 5-3 now. Looking back on it, I actually think that 5-2
showing you the killer immediately
makes perfect sense, in light of how the rest of the case goes- it's pretty much a continuous loop of the player
being convinced that they've figured out everything and are impatiently waiting for the characters to make their way to that conclusion, only to be proven completely wrong right as they're about to close the deal.
That effect wouldn't be as strong if they hadn't given us that "spoiler" right off the bat.

FML. I clicked the spoiler thread thinking it was the OT. :\

Damn, hope you didn't see anything. I accidentally did that twice when I was playing through.

yeah i did that myself and spoiled who the bad guy was in case 5...
and then I did something else and spoiled even more lol.

oh well still was a decent ride.

This is honestly beginning to baffle me. What is the level of sheer zeal needed to see only the words "Ace", "Rated", and "M" before unleashing that fury of clicks to open a topic? As if that topic was going to go scurrying under the fridge when it realized someone spotted it.

I feel bad for people that get spoiled on accident, but I can't help but get the visual of someone thrusting their bare hands into an open barbeque flame because "spatula be damned, I wanna eat!"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This is why I completely avoided reading through any AA5 topic while I was actually playing through it. Because even non-spoiler threads may accidentally get a spoiler posted openly and you may end up reading it before it gets correctly spoilered.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This is honestly beginning to baffle me. What is the level of sheer zeal needed to see only the words "Ace", "Rated", and "M" before unleashing that fury of clicks to open a topic? As if that topic was going to go scurrying under the fridge when it realized someone spotted it.

I fell bad for people that get spoiled on accident, but I can't help but get the visual of someone thrusting their bare hands into an open barbeque flame because "spatula be damned, I wanna eat!"

Haha, I guess my mind just goes on autopilot as I scroll down a page and middle click it into a new tab to read later, then when I get around to it I go OH SHIT WRONG THREAD when I start to see discussion.

Jintor

I've done it a few times, but thankfully I finished the game asap and I habitually glance at the title of threads first most of the time these days.

Really should've named the spoiler thread something else though

PKrockin

I fell bad for people that get spoiled on accident, but I can't help but get the visual of someone thrusting their bare hands into an open barbeque flame because "spatula be damned, I wanna eat!"

Not to deny it was a dumb mistake, but it's not like my keyboard erupts into flames and roasts my hand if I click the wrong GAF thread...

When there's a giant list of threads all with a sentence-long string of words as identifiers my brain doesn't read the entirety of each thread title every time I scan down the list. My brain only registered the OT as the singular "Ace Attorney DD thread" since it's the only one I subscribed to and I don't check the actual front page of the Gaming forum often--just my subscriptions. I sorta forgot about the spoiler thread. So I scroll down the Gaming front page. When I skim the thread lists, I believe I go by the first two words or so to identify it tentatively, and then skip to the very end to point my mouse at the "... last)" and click. The "Rated M" part is at the very end so that's the only other part of the title I saw. Being personally more memorable than the "objectionable content" part of the OT title it didn't alert me immediately.

Does that unnecessarily lengthy explanation satisfy your curiosity? lol

demidar

Myriam boobytrapped her trial script so that it would knife anyone who opened it. Hugh opened her script that night, believing it was Juniper's, in order to get an advantage in the trial, but ended up having his hand slashed.

In Soviet Russia, package knifes you!

Leeness

HAHAHAHA.

Case 5, trial day 1.

They HAVE to be writing Phoenix and Edgeworth sexual tension on purpose. This is hilarious haha. Everyone in the courtroom had to comment on it! They go to Trucy's magic shows together! Phoenix thinks to himself how "inflexible" Edgeworth is! YOU WOULD KNOW.

Also lol at "Mr. Wright has called many strange witnesses over the years. Nothing surprises me anymore."

Looooooool.

zulux21

This is honestly beginning to baffle me. What is the level of sheer zeal needed to see only the words "Ace", "Rated", and "M" before unleashing that fury of clicks to open a topic?

in general I only read the first few words of a topic before I decide if it's related to my interests (some take longer but in this case Ace Attorney: Dual Destines is more then enough to get my interest :p)

but yeah
vague case 5 spoilers
after finding out who the killer was in case 5 via spoiler, I was like, I can't remember was he in AA4 at all, it's been so long... ill check... and then read about his secret lol.

luckily spoilers in general aren't a huge deal to me, it just means I shifted my focus from trying to figure out the truth, to if there were enough hints to get to the truth earlier, and if i think I would have gotten there early (the answer is yes to both)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Currently at the beginning of case 4.

So far.... pretty disappointed due to the lack of Phoenix. I was hoping case 4 would have him on the lead but... it's Apollo again.

As for the cases.......

Hmmm. Some of my guesses were pretty accurate regarding the methods and, in case 3, the culprit... so far there's not a single moment where I said to myself HOLY CRAP like in the previous games such as the last cases of the original trilogy.

If I have to rank them, I guess it's 3 > 1 > 2... buuuut they're pretty interchangeable, to be honest.

Here's hoping case 4 and 5 can bring me great surprises.

Just finished it. Overall, this is without question my favorite game in the series. Everything was so stellar, especially:

- Phoenix, Apollo and Athena all being main characters and playing as each. LOVED this approach so much. The three of them doing the objection pose together was so epic, I´d love to have that as a wallpaper.

- The presentation is spectacular. The animations of the characters are perfect and the music is easily the best since the first game.

- All the cases were great. 4 and 5 in particular are probably the most intense cases in the series for me, better than anything in AA3.

This series is in great hands. Absolutely cannot wait for more!!

My series ranking would be

5 > 3 > 1 = 4 > AAI >>> 2

Leeness

HAHAHA STOP GAME JUST STOP I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE

Case 5 trial 1

Phoenix just called Edgeworth "daddy". PHOENIX JUST CALLED EDGEWORTH DADDY.

NOW KISS.

AniHawk

just finished case 2 and holy god. that was a fucking long one. the first case was long too, but part of that was owing to it being a tutorial of sorts. case 2 though... that went on and on. i guess it was kinda funny because of how stupidly intricate the plot was.

right at the start of case 3 and i figured out newman's secret before anyone's ever said it was a secret at all. i really hope that's not the lynchpin of the case.
it's wayne knight

Leeness

That never happened; I think you're losing it.

It did when I presented something wrong. My line of thinking was off and I presented a wrong theory and got an exchange about
Edgeworth calling Phoenix's bluffing ability his calling card, but it was calling Phoenix at that moment to say "put a sock in it". Phoenix replied with "y-yes daddy".

...Phoenix consenting to putting a sock in his mouth too. I see...

Top Bottom