• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

zruben

Banned
ok... ok... so I made a significant advance on this game this weekend... I think I'm about to finish it...

so... CASE 5 SPOILERS:

SERIOUSLY?!?! BOBBY FULBRIGHT IS THE PHANTOM?!?!

WHAT IS THIS. I DONT EVEN!

that doesn't make any sense...

I swear to god that the culprit would be the other robot or something.

I'm about to start his questioning... saved the game and I'll continue it later...
but seriously... case 4 and 5 have been a rollerecoaster. This is crazy.

Oh god, this game...

I need to finish it NOW... I want to read ALL the spoiler tags on this thread.

AniHawk

I dunno, Apollo is great he shows a lot of experience compared to how he was in AJ, but Phoenix....man oh man... he's great, he's a pro now.

i love that he's still this doofy kind of guy, but with a lot more confidence in his ability to pull victories out of his ass. the first face off against blackquill feels so good.

Kater

Banned
I had a really great, first time playing an Ace Attorney game with AA5DD. Wonderful addition to the 3DS library.
Now I'm even more eager to play the other AA games and the upcoming Crossover with Professor Layton.
Case 5 Spoiler

WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!?!?!?!?!, they just accused Fulbright and my mind is FULL OF FUCK
Just finished the game 3 hours ago. You will be surprised what happens next is all I'm saying, hahaha!

Just finished the game

I can't stop crying, holy mother of god.

Aside of case 2, this game... this FUCKING game omg

new ranking:

AA3 > AA5 > AAI2 > AA1 > AA4 > AA2 >AAI1

Just finished the game, myself. I wasn't as mind-blown as the majority in here in regards to case 5,
although the breakdown of Fulbright was just absolutely amazing. Sadly, this means Fulbright is not gonna re-appear should we ever get an AA6. :(

I'd laugh if we ended up playing Hugh or facing Robin in a future installment, btw.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Just finished the game

I can't stop crying, holy mother of god.

Aside of case 2, this game... this FUCKING game omg

new ranking:

AA3 > AA5 > AA12 > AA1 > AA4 > AA2 >AA1

I'm confused by your list. Do you mean AA investigations or something? You have AA1 twice, and AA12. I'm assuming 12 = investigations 2 and one of the AA1s is investigations.

I'm confused by your list. Do you mean AA investigations or something? You have AA1 twice, and AA12. I'm assuming 12 = investigations 2 and one of the AA1s is investigations.

just edited it, I was tired and watching the ending while I wrote my post.

And I think everyone knows that Investigations 1 is the worst game of the series. :p

I'm trying to pace myself. Bought the game at launch, just finished Case 2 yesterday. I thought it was decent, but man some of it was hard to understand at times. Who was in what room at what point in time? I don't know anymore. The animations are amazing though. L'Belle is probably my favorite character based on their animations so far. Plus his theme is awesome.

AniHawk

just edited it, I was tired and watching the ending while I wrote my post.

And I think everyone knows that Investigations 1 is the worst game of the series. :p

ace attorney investigations, the game where you're a normal guy asking people questions and they admit to murder because of reasons.

Just finished the game, myself. I wasn't as mind-blown as the majority in here in regards to case 5,
although the breakdown of Fulbright was just absolutely amazing. Sadly, this means Fulbright is not gonna re-appear should we ever get an AA6. :(

I'd laugh if we ended up playing Hugh or facing Robin in a future installment, btw.

I'm all for it if that means we see more Juniper.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Well, there is some chance.

1) The spy could show up in a future game, he wasn't killed after all.
2) You could always see the Original Bobby in a case taking place in the past. Its likely the actual Bobby Fulbright acted just like the spy did.

I'm all for it if that means we see more Juniper.

Agreed, I would like to see a different judge. Was a breath of fresh air in AA3, even though it was after all the classic judge's brother and just using the same sprite without the stache but some hair instead.

Well, there is some chance.

1) The spy could show up in a future game, he wasn't killed after all.
2) You could always see the Original Bobby in a case taking place in the past. Its likely the actual Bobby Fulbright acted just like the spy did.

Regarding 1: He survived, but I don't think that once he recovers, he'll be doing much detective work. He murdered several people and planted a lot of bombs, among certainly many other things.
Regarding 2: That's possible, but I don't think so, since none of the 3 main characters recognized Fulbright, so unless we get a game with a new protagonist that has been working as attorney for a long time (or we get a case based on Mia's or Diego's pasts), I highly doubt he'll make a comeback in a flashback case.

BlackJace

It's time.

EWmof.gif
Case motherfucking 5.
p0QHO.gif

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Agreed, I would like to see a different judge. Was a breath of fresh air in AA3, even though it was after all the classic judge's brother and just using the same sprite without the stache but some hair instead.

Regarding 1: He survived, but I don't think that once he recovers, he'll be doing much detective work. He murdered several people and planted a lot of bombs, among certainly many other things.
Regarding 2: That's possible, but I don't think so, since none of the 3 main characters recognized Fulbright, so unless we get a game with a new protagonist that has been working as attorney for a long time (or we get a case based on Mia's or Diego's pasts), I highly doubt he'll make a comeback in a flashback case.
For the second one, maybe he could show up in anther Gyakuten Kenji title.

Ok, enough of the black text for now.

Lotto

Good game. Finished it last night and I'm still itchin' to play more! For some reason this game didn't reach a high that most of the games in the series reached for me. It could be that I didn't beat the cases in one sitting like I did in the previous games so things felt a bit fragmented. Despite that, all of the cases were solid and enjoyable.

Some closing thoughts: Anime cutscenes I could really do without (or they could at least get better voice actors). The soundtrack was great as usual, in Iwadare we trust. They introduced the "Thought Route" which was pretty cool but in Case 5
I thought it would have been much better served if it was used to figure out who the phantom really was.
I still miss a lot of things from the older games even though they can be considered annoyances/filler; things like being able to investigate areas that don't really need investigating, being able to present profiles, the little puzzle games (luminol/examining 3d objects/etc.), all of which looked to be streamlined and to make the experience much smoother. My main complaint was that I never once felt threatened in this game like I did in the previous games. I'm not really sure why but I think it's because of how ineffectual penalties are considering there are 2 save slots now as well. I never dropped below half on the penalty bar in any of the cases and I really feel that shouldn't have been the case. It's a weird complaint but having a little bit of frustration makes a lot of the cases be more satisfying when you get it right.

This was my least favorite entry in the series. Mood matrix was a bad addition, hated Athena is a character. Feel like some of the cases got a little too complex for their own good.

Why is it that EVERY defendant leaves out key testimony??

Anime themes were a little over the top too. They take the whole friendship/love thing a little too far.

This was my least favorite entry in the series. Mood matrix was a bad addition, hated Athena is a character. Feel like some of the cases got a little too complex for their own good.

Anime themes were a little over the top too. They take the whole friendship/love thing a little too far.

the Mood Matrix is a million times better than the Apollo-Bracelet crap... and yeah it's my opinion but I was surprised at how much I liked Athena.

Defendants and witnesses leaving out key testimony? Cases being too complex? That's like staples of the series I don't understand how you could complain about them. I also don't understand how you could hate Athena she's better then almost all of AA4's cast combined

Agreed, found "Oh hey, when you're lying your eyebrow is twitching" much less believable than "Oh hey, when you say XY you're having a weird emotion". The game is set in the future, after all.

Nemesis_

I am getting through this game so slowly, it's so annoying. It's my own fault though - I just don't have the time or when I do, I fall asleep T_T

But yeah up to the second trial of Case 4. It's been a crazy fun ride so far. I love how all the "abilities" have popped up every now and then. It's a cool throwback to all of them. Especially surprised to have to do a
psyche lock
, thought they'd just forgotten about them.

I'm hoping that Case 5 will wow me. Case 3 was a big "hype" for me because everyone was talking about it - but I always had an inkling re: the culprit so it wasn't as OMFG as I thought it would be. That being said, the reveal of
Robin being a girl
was a shock. I didn't think AA would touch those themes.

Quoted post reminds me ... Case 5 spoilers:
So, it's implied Aura Blackquill had ... a thing for Metis Cykes, right? Or am I misinterpreting the lines they've made about the relationship of the two?

That being said, the reveal of
Robin being a girl
was a shock. I didn't think AA would touch those themes.

Actually, I initially thought
Robin was a girl from the get-go. And her gender wasn't said to be male until like much later, so I was kept in the "illusion" for a while, lol. It was quite a shock for me to learn she was considered a boy!

Case 5, holy SHIT. My mind kept fucking exploding.

goddammit

why bobby

he was the best new character god DAMMIT

Loved the entire ride. Definitely up there with the first two as my favorite AAs.

Nemesis_

Red I am NOT quoting that post, because I will see that Case 5 spoiler. I can't trust myself. Haha.

But yeah, I just assumed
Robin was a roided up Male, lol.

Moonlight

Banned
So, it's implied Aura Blackquill had ... a thing for Metis Cykes, right? Or am I misinterpreting the lines they've made about the relationship of the two?
It rockets straight past implication and right into 'hell yes' territory

Red I am NOT quoting that post, because I will see that Case 5 spoiler. I can't trust myself. Haha.

But yeah, I just assumed
Robin was a roided up Male, lol.

It's a fairly soft spoiler, so even if you would've read it, it wouldn't have been destroying your enjoyment of the case - it's a minor side-thing, but I felt it was worth tagging anyway, just in case. It does involve the story of 2 characters important to that case, after all. :)

It rockets straight past implication and right into 'hell yes' territory

"Hell yes" in what you want to believe? ;P I might've missed pieces of dialogue, and while the implications were heavy (I remember somebody mention Aura wanted it to be more, might've been she herself), it was never explicitly mentioned from what I could tell.

FluxWaveZ

"Hell yes" in what you want to believe? ;P I might've missed pieces of dialogue, and while the implications were heavy (I remember somebody mention Aura wanted it to be more, might've been she herself), but it was never explicitly mentioned from what I could tell.

It's extremely obvious and intentionally so; it doesn't have to be explicitly stated. You almost sound like the Judge.

When Aura straight up tells her brother that he of all people should know that she wanted her relationship with Metis to surpass that of mere coworkers, I don't really see the point of contention here.

It's extremely obvious and intentionally so; it doesn't have to be explicitly stated. You almost sound like the Judge.

fKf0N2p.gif

When Aura straight up tells her brother that he of all people should know that she wanted her relationship with Metis to surpass that of mere coworkers, I don't really see the point of contention here.

See, the coworkers part is what makes me question it. :p She just could've wanted to be friends with her, idk.

Jacqli

I do hate you, guys, pure hatred because... I bought this game some days ago and God, it is really good. I am through Case 2 and I am really enjoying the courts again. Athena and the new prosecutor are a surprise, I like both of them more than I thought.
On the other hand, the new detective... I do not know, perhaps it is a bit soon to state this, but right now he is not a memorable character in my opinion.

This game feels like a classic Phoenix Wright. Investigations 1 and Apollo left me a bittersweet taste that the fifth entry is removing. Pretty good.

demidar

Let me make it perfectly clear,
Aura wanted to jump her bones.

Man, the final case is intense, and I haven't even gotten to the trial yet! After day 1 of the investigation, I think I've figured out the twist.
Athena is a robot!
No one say if I'm right or wrong, but I'm sticking to that theory!

Salamando

Did anyone ever bother telling Trucy and Apollo that
they're half-siblings...and that their mother is still alive
? It was just something I remembered during game and felt kinda odd once I did.

Top Bottom