• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Done.

1_by_studiozel-d6tmluf.jpg

GSR

I miss variable penalties. It was nice knowing that if you screwed up on the key questions, you were going to feel it.

I kinda like Blackquill only for his bird. I dunno, he himself's okay, but I'm not really warming up to him for now (first trial day of case 3, btw).
Also not liking most of the witnesses so far, except for Jinxie, Scuttlebutt and Robin.

Only new characters I enjoy thoroughly are Fulbright and Athena.

GSR

What's up with the DLC case? When is it coming out?

I don't see it on the dlc page

I'm hopeful for this week, because they said they'd have news soon week before last, but we'll see. It could be that the 'news' is that it's coming at the end of the month or something like that.

Moonlight

Banned
Eh, I'm not really feeling Fulbright. Gumshoe was so great.
Fulbright is great. I've said as much before, but it's better if you don't try to think of him as Gumshoe or even as Ema. He's pretty clearly reactionary in terms of the roles they occupied, contrasting pretty clearly from their fairly glum or bitter attitudes towards their jobs. Dude loves every second of his job.

FluxWaveZ

Fulbright is great. I've said as much before, but it's better if you don't try to think of him as Gumshoe or even as Ema. He's pretty clearly reactionary in terms of the roles they occupied, contrasting pretty clearly from their fairly glum or bitter attitudes towards their jobs. Dude loves every second of his job.

Oh wow, never even looked at it that way.

Then again, I'm not sure I remember Gumshoe particularly disliking his job, but being pretty down about the fact that he was supposedly poor as hell.

Thoraxes

Case 5 major spoilers/impressions.

THE FUCK
AT THE PHANTOM. PLEASE DON'T BE BOBBY. PLEASE.

FUCK

FUUUUUUCCCCKKKKK

WWWWWHHHHYYYYY

dzaUScY.gif

Frolow

Banned

Good point. His energetic personality really contrasts well with the entire "Dark Age of the Law" theme. Heck, even his white outfit differentiates with the theme as well, like he's a "shining" glimmer justice in these dark times.

Nemesis_

I've just begun Case 4.

Can somebody just quickly go over how these occur chronologically?

I'm assuming it's

2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 1

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I've just begun Case 4.

Can somebody just quickly go over how these occur chronologically?

I'm assuming it's

2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 1
2 -> DLC -> 3 -> first part of 4 -> 1 -> rest of 4 -> 5

Nemesis_

Thanks guys! I am really enjoying it (more so than some of the other games) but the chronology thing was really doing my head in. I guess if I kept playing Case 4 it would've been more obvious to me ;P

Mr. RHC

Hahahahaha

Case 2

Judge: Now, please your opening statements, if you would. It's standard procedure for the prosecution to handle this.

Athena: Wooaah, looks like the judge is bringing it today!

So good!

Edit: The followup, sooo goood hahaha!

vladdamad

I just beat it. Wow, I seriously did not see that coming, What a spectacular set of twists at the end of Case 5. Off to the spoiler thread I go.

Mr. RHC

Completed Case 2, it was quite good! Case 3 also looks promising!

I actually really like that we had a case with Athena/ Phoenix, then Apollo and now a little bit of Athena again, that's quite the development, I appreciate it! Can't wait to see Athena being the main character for AA6! :D

Uh, that's not Apollo's Japanese name on the left. A cousin of his?

That's what his name would've been if he grew up with the Arumajiki family with Yuumi, but his new family, whoever the crap they are, named him Odoroki. The picture's basically a "what-if" situation where Apollo was planned to be a magician lawyer before they changed it to what we have today.

We dodged a serious bullet.

Just got done with the game, and boy was the final case a roller coaster ride. It more than makes up for the blandness of case 4.

It's hard for me to rate this game in respect to the rest of the series. As far as story and animations go, it's definitely near the top. The actual gameplay, however, leaves much to be desired in my minds.

1. The streamlining of the investigation phases killed that part of the game for me. Almost every step of the way, the game tells you exactly what to do in order to progress the plot. As much as I love that game, I can finally relate to the people who were upset over Final Fantasy XIII feeling like a linear corridor. Investigations were one conversation after another, and to be frank, the comedy of the translation seemed lackluster to me when compared to the original 3 games. Not being able to examine on free-will and being automatically redirected to the next location obviously streamlines things as well. I'm sure it has been discussed 100 other times in this topic so I'll leave it at that. With the other games in the series, it never felt like I wasn't playing a game. I know some fans were happy about this change as they disliked the investigation phases anyway, but this irked me more than anything else.

2. The removal of variable punishments and the ability to present people as evidence removes a lot of the challenge and stress of the trial phases. Variable punishments encourage a think-before-you-leap methodology, encouraging the player to really weigh all of their evidence before presenting it in a crucial situation. It also makes more sense with Wright's high-risk/high-reward bluffing methodology. Being unable to present profiles limits the amount of contradictions the player can point out in half. By allowing the player to present either evidence or a profile, you make them parse the testimony twice as carefully, as they need to infer what type of contradiction it holds.

3. To add on to point 2, the court sections of this game are just too easy and the game hints waaaay too heavily about what you should present and where to present it. Going to the end of a witness' statements and listening to the summary would literally tell you which piece of evidece to present or what point to press more often than not. They don't even penalize you out of court or during the analytical psychology sections!

4. Some pieces of evidence were just too predictable. In specific, I had pieced together the final 2 pieces of evidence in case 5 upon reciving them. Maybe I'm a bit faster on the uptake now, but that very rarely if-ever happened to me in the old games. The villains were also way too predictable.
The first 2 cases had killer in the intro, and 3rd case it was obvious within 5 minutes of the case starting due to context.

Overall, I still AA5 is one of the better games in the series. Despite the myriad of problems I had with it, it managed to stay entertaining from start to finish. If they kept it more like a game than a visual novel, it probably would've been my favortite.

3=1>5=AAI2(Based off of first 2 cases)>2>4>AAI

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
J
4. Some pieces of evidence were just too predictable. In specific, I had pieced together the final 2 pieces of evidence in case 5 upon reciving them. Maybe I'm a bit faster on the uptake now, but that very rarely if-ever happened to me in the old games. The villains were also way too predictable.
The first 2 cases had killer in the intro, and 3rd case it was obvious within 5 minutes of the case starting due to context.

I hear ya on this one. I wasn't sure if the game was genuinely easier, or if just felt easier because I'd gone to law school between AAI and AA5, but a lot of the objections seemed a lot more obvious in this game than previous entries.

Pyrokai

In the middle of case 2. This game is already doing wonderful things to my feels. Athena is fucking awesome.

This is so nice because I thought AA4 was lackluster. Am I alone here? The music in that one is amazing, though. I think I need to replay it.

Doorman

Just got done with the game, and boy was the final case a roller coaster ride. It more than makes up for the blandness of case 4.

It's hard for me to rate this game in respect to the rest of the series. As far as story and animations go, it's definitely near the top. The actual gameplay, however, leaves much to be desired in my minds.

2. The removal of variable punishments and the ability to present people as evidence removes a lot of the challenge and stress of the trial phases. Variable punishments encourage a think-before-you-leap methodology, encouraging the player to really weigh all of their evidence before presenting it in a crucial situation. It also makes more sense with Wright's high-risk/high-reward bluffing methodology. Being unable to present profiles limits the amount of contradictions the player can point out in half. By allowing the player to present either evidence or a profile, you make them parse the testimony twice as carefully, as they need to infer what type of contradiction it holds.

3. To add on to point 2, the court sections of this game are just too easy and the game hints waaaay too heavily about what you should present and where to present it. Going to the end of a witness' statements and listening to the summary would literally tell you which piece of evidece to present or what point to press more often than not. They don't even penalize you out of court or during the analytical psychology sections!

2. For what it's worth, the only games (localized, anyway; I don't know about Investigations 2) where you could present profiles during the trial segments were 2 and 3. So not being able to present profiles has been more the norm than the exception. Your complain is still valid enough if you prefer it that way, just saying that it shouldn't really be a surprise that that was the case. What I DID find strange was that they removed evidence examination entirely from this game, except for one or two story-directed segments.

3. Considering you can save the game and resume it at any point, having the penalty system in place at all is functionally useless. Especially in a story and reading-heavy game like this, forcing you to go back and present solutions that you'd already gotten correct amounts to quite a waste of time. Rather than adding even more penalties, I'd rather they just do away with them altogether, that way I can select wrong answers to see the fun dialogue that occurs without having to restart the game every five minutes.

With the way they changed the evidence, investigations, Apollo's perception, and other such things, it seems that the designers made a concerted effort to really streamline the game as a whole and put the focus on the storylines themselves. I don't think that's necessarily for the best in all respects, but I understand why they thought to try doing it that way.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
3. Considering you can save the game and resume it at any point, having the penalty system in place at all is functionally useless. Especially in a story and reading-heavy game like this, forcing you to go back and present solutions that you'd already gotten correct amounts to quite a waste of time. Rather than adding even more penalties, I'd rather they just do away with them altogether, that way I can select wrong answers to see the fun dialogue that occurs without having to restart the game every five minutes.
I have to agree with this. The penalties are rather pointless if I can save right before presenting a piece of evidence & just reload the game if I guessed wrong (heck, that's what I've done). I'll always have full "health" if I just keep reloading to the spot right before where I just guessed.

Just finished Case 2. It was okay, but I had one of those "Oh COME ON it's still going on?" moments, though thankfully, it was right before the final part so it didn't last very long. Hopefully will start Case 3 later this week once I'm done with some college exams.

I almost brought this point up in my original point because I thought I'd be called out on it. Yes, it's true that you can save at anytime, but I see that of the game's way of auto-saving. Other games allow you to save anywhere to alleviate the stress about having to redo things. I like to treat the game like Demons' Souls where a punishment can't be undone. It makes me really think about presenting evidence I'm unsure of. The other way allows me to press until I get it right.

FluxWaveZ

Out of curiosity, if I want to jump into the series, is this a good place to do it? Should I know anything going in?

From the OP:

Q: Should I play other titles in the series in order to understand this installment?
A: YES. This is a story driven game after-all. And seriously, AA games are some of the best adventure games ever, get on that shit immediately. Stay AWAY from the iOS trilogy though. Far away.
And here are some nice guides created by Timeless that gives newcomers the full rundown.

Perhaps playing just AA4 before AA5 would be sufficient since a lot about AA5 plays on the player's knowledge of the previous game, but not playing any of the previous games before AA5 could in no way be considered "good."

They're all good anyways, so there should be no rush to getting AA5 instead of the others. You won't miss any significant plot points by going into AA5 first, though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Out of curiosity, if I want to jump into the series, is this a good place to do it? Should I know anything going in?

There are several important instances of callbacks to previous games.

AA is a game series relying heavily on story/characters to deliver its best experience, so I would heavily recommend you go through the original 4 games first if it's possible.

If not, well, it's fine if you make this your first AA experience, though once again, I would heavily recommend you played through all the previous games first.

Anyways,

Heavily surprised by the revelation in Case 5, but heavily disappointed as well in how... impact-less, the character in the end turned to be.

My ranking:

AA3 = AA1 > AA2 > AA5 >>> AA4 > AAI.

AniHawk

finished case 4 and the ending is strong, but the whole case isn't that interesting. so far case 3 has been the best one. i'm hoping case 5 lives up to the hype, and not just among fans, but from the game itself.

and there's something about just playing as phoenix wright that feels so good. he's the perfect kind of underdog. athena is actually a close second, for me. apollo is just some loud guy.

Finished Investigation of Case 5 Day 1

My god, I need to sleep but I screamed when
The Black Psyche-Lock appeared, and cried with the stupid Maya letter... holy shit this fucking game
finished case 4 and the ending is strong, but the whole case isn't that interesting. so far case 3 has been the best one. i'm hoping case 5 lives up to the hype, and not just among fans, but from the game itself.

and there's something about just playing as phoenix wright that feels so good. he's the perfect kind of underdog. athena is actually a close second, for me. apollo is just some loud guy.

Apollo IS FINE

vctor182

I dunno, Apollo is great he shows a lot of experience compared to how he was in AJ, but Phoenix....man oh man... he's great, he's a pro now.

Top Bottom