• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Thoraxes

Did anyone ever bother telling Trucy and Apollo that
they're half-siblings...and that their mother is still alive
? It was just something I remembered during game and felt kinda odd once I did.

No, but I was feeling all warm and fuzzy at the start of case 2. I hope it happens soon.

Nemesis_

Yes. It is great. He investigates everything, presents all evidence to get optional conversation and press everything.

Link

FEUHFISFUHDIUbdHSUIDBSHFIUSFDN

idSNcXZklzMT7.gif

I am going to try to finish Dual Destinies tonight and then jump straight into this.

Bless this series and bless their dedicated fan base.

EDarkness

I've been playing this game quite a bit and I'm on Case 4, but I feel like it's simply Apollo Justice 2 instead of Phoenix Wright. The game is mainly about Apollo and whatever her name is. Ugh. I'm pretty disappointed.

I've been playing this game quite a bit and I'm on Case 4, but I feel like it's simply Apollo Justice 2 instead of Phoenix Wright. The game is mainly about Apollo and whatever her name is. Ugh. I'm pretty disappointed.

But Phoenix is the lead in 3 of 5 cases (though he isn't in the start of case 4). <_< 4 of 6 if you include the DLC case.

the Mood Matrix is a million times better than the Apollo-Bracelet crap... and yeah it's my opinion but I was surprised at how much I liked Athena.

I loved the Apollo Bracelet. I thought it was a lot of fun. It was one of my favorite game mechanics.

Defendants and witnesses leaving out key testimony? Cases being too complex? That's like staples of the series I don't understand how you could complain about them. I also don't understand how you could hate Athena she's better then almost all of AA4's cast combined

I didn't really explain myself well. When I say cases were too complex, I mean there was a lot of ambiguous information especially when characters started moving around that lead to unexplored solutions.
Was jumping down the trash chute even mentioned in the 4th case?
For the most part, the the game was to easy, but it had some really unnecessary complex parts that made me think beyond the scope of the game.

AniHawk

Aw yeah, here we go.

i had my assumptions in the detention center, but for some reason forgot. had to call it quits despite my best attempt to push through my exhaustion. i'll finish it tonight.

it's a pretty good twist, and it makes sense. and it's kinda scary. all that's left is the motivation.

On to case 4 Court day 2.

The Yuri Cosmos testimonies are hilarious.

When the pursuit music broke out and he check spinning, I lost it.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Watching the whole playthrough on youtube sounded like crap at first, but now that I finished it... damn everyone needs to check it out, I'd say it's better than 5 and almost as good as 3.

Have they translated the entire game? Thought it was just the first two cases.

Edit: NM just saw the comments up top. Sweeeet.

Case 4 ended

Well we got our client not guilty, help a little anti-climatic th....

OMG why. What is this. I don't know what is going on anymore.

Doorman

I get that people like Phoenix and all...but I don't understand why people have trouble when the games start to focus on other characters. As far as the ebb and flow of cases go, all three of the attorneys go through similar bouts of confidence, defeat, inspiration, frustration, pulling solutions that turn out to be correct out of their ass, and so on. And in the macro view of overall character development...Phoenix is kind of a finished product by now, isn't he? We've seen how he grew up, why he decided to become a lawyer, how he met his mentor, how he got his start in law...we've seen him handle an imminent crisis about what it means to himself to be an attorney in AA2, saw him confront his most personal demons (somewhat literally) in AA3. In 4 we witnessed both his maturity and his overconfidence in the skills he'd amassed during the first trilogy, he paid for his mistakes, and by the end of the game found a way to turn the situation around and reclaim much of the honor he'd lost.

Now in this game we see him continuing to cope with his new role as a mentor and a "boss," trying to pass his way--Mia's way--onto the next generation. What more is there to learn about Phoenix Wright and why he stands in court at this point? There's still much more to Apollo and Athena's stories to be told and I like that this game showed both of them developing in their own ways. I'd love a potential AA6 to continue digging into the dynamics between the three of them, rather than cutting back to such a big focus on Wright.

FluxWaveZ

Nicely put. I love Phoenix Wright, but the mechanic of switching between the different attorneys was a fantastic one that I hope to see continue in subsequent games.

Things would feel less dynamic and less natural now without being able to play as the whole team.

Nemesis_

This game is amazing. I am not sure if I rate it higher than the third game, which was just mind blowing. But the ride here was just so enjoyable. There weren't many slow moments (if any) and most of the conclusions were genuine surprises (besides Case 3, for me)>

A bit disappointed we didn't get to see
who the Phantom was in the end
but I get the feeling that was the point.

This game is amazing. I am not sure if I rate it higher than the third game, which was just mind blowing. But the ride here was just so enjoyable. There weren't many slow moments (if any) and most of the conclusions were genuine surprises (besides Case 3, for me)>

A bit disappointed we didn't get to see
who the Phantom was in the end
but I get the feeling that was the point.

that was the point, if you had seen the face everyone would have been "who the fuck's this guy" anyways.

Nemesis_

that was the point, if you had seen the face everyone would have been "who the fuck's this guy" anyways.

I guess, but
I feel like there should've been a clear cut reason as to why they were doing what they were doing. Their identity would at least help elaborate that.

As I said before, I totally understand why they went that route, but I would've been interested to see what they could've done with it, or heck even if they could tie it into previous games somehow.

It's totally Oldbag, for example, haha

AniHawk

just felt... i don't know. case 5 wasn't really all i thought it would be. the twist was good, but then there's another twist and another one, and then
there's a bigger plot point left unresolved.

the game is at its best when you're phoenix or athena. when you're the down-on-your-luck person just constantly barely skating by, it's so much more satisfying than whatever's going on with apollo. apollo's not bad or anything. he's just sort of there.

my gut feeling after this one is aa1 > aa3 > aa2 > aa5 > aa4 > aai1 steak sauce

FSLink

Banned
Fixed that for you

Disagree since at least AA4 had a really strong OST and a nice first case. final case in that was just okay, but it wasn't bad. The 2nd was so-so, and the 3rd was terrible. I still think it was better than 2's which had one of the best cases in the series (2-4), but the rest of the cases were ughhhhh

AniHawk

Whoa someone who didn't put AA2 last? I thought I was the only person in the world who actually enjoyed AA2...

aa2 is all about case 4. i really can't remember anything else. i disliked franziska to a fair degree too, so the prosecutor of aa2's case 4 helped my enjoyment a lot.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
aa2 is all about case 4. i really can't remember anything else. i disliked franziska to a fair degree too, so the prosecutor of aa2's case 4 helped my enjoyment a lot.

The case with Pearls was pretty nice, but I couldn't even tell you was the 3rd case was without looking it up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I liked AAI, but it reeked of fan service. There was no way someone who had not played AA 1-3 could enjoy it IMO.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The case with Pearls was pretty nice, but I couldn't even tell you was the 3rd case was without looking it up.

I will never forget the carnival.

My least favorite case in the franchise followed up by my favorite. There's a one two punch.

Thoraxes

just felt... i don't know. case 5 wasn't really all i thought it would be. the twist was good, but then there's another twist and another one, and then
there's a bigger plot point left unresolved.

the game is at its best when you're phoenix or athena. when you're the down-on-your-luck person just constantly barely skating by, it's so much more satisfying than whatever's going on with apollo. apollo's not bad or anything. he's just sort of there.

my gut feeling after this one is aa1 > aa3 > aa2 > aa5 > aa4 > aai1 steak sauce

I can get what you mean by the ending (and agree to some extent, definitely. I still put it as my third fav. game though after AA3/1, despite that. I wanted a little more out of it, but alas, it is set in stone.

And I agree with you on Phoenix and Athena. I really liked Athena's go-get-em attitude, because it was kinda refreshing to see a rookie who had more gusto/spunk off the bat.
Disagree since at least AA4 had a really strong OST and a nice first case. final case in that was just okay, but it wasn't bad. The 2nd was so-so, and the 3rd was terrible. I still think it was better than 2's which had one of the best cases in the series (2-4), but the rest of the cases were ughhhhh

I'd say my OST rankings are something like AA5 >/= AA4 > AA1 > AA3 > AA2.

I can't really explain why I liked 4's OST so much, (5 it's all about the new instrumentation for me) just that the harmonic content was usually extended-tertian stuff, and that tickles my brain in the nicest way something fierce. I could listen to that OST all day long.

EDarkness

I get that people like Phoenix and all...but I don't understand why people have trouble when the games start to focus on other characters. As far as the ebb and flow of cases go, all three of the attorneys go through similar bouts of confidence, defeat, inspiration, frustration, pulling solutions that turn out to be correct out of their ass, and so on. And in the macro view of overall character development...Phoenix is kind of a finished product by now, isn't he? We've seen how he grew up, why he decided to become a lawyer, how he met his mentor, how he got his start in law...we've seen him handle an imminent crisis about what it means to himself to be an attorney in AA2, saw him confront his most personal demons (somewhat literally) in AA3. In 4 we witnessed both his maturity and his overconfidence in the skills he'd amassed during the first trilogy, he paid for his mistakes, and by the end of the game found a way to turn the situation around and reclaim much of the honor he'd lost.

Now in this game we see him continuing to cope with his new role as a mentor and a "boss," trying to pass his way--Mia's way--onto the next generation. What more is there to learn about Phoenix Wright and why he stands in court at this point? There's still much more to Apollo and Athena's stories to be told and I like that this game showed both of them developing in their own ways. I'd love a potential AA6 to continue digging into the dynamics between the three of them, rather than cutting back to such a big focus on Wright.

I don't play these games to play as someone other than Phoenix. This is why I skipped Apollo Justice. If these other characters are going to get the limelight, then they should have their own game (and I'll have the option to jump in with a new character or not). I have no interest in either whatever her name is or Apollo. I don't care about their development or where they're going in life. They're just not interesting characters to me, much like I don't like this Blackquill guy, either. I'm a fan of Phoenix, not the games themselves and he's the reason I own all the others. It's like going to see an Indiana Jones movie that focuses on everyone but Indy.

Simply, I play these games to watch Phoenix Wright be Phoenix Wright. All of the other guys are just filler to me.

demidar

I don't play these games to play as someone other than Phoenix. This is why I skipped Apollo Justice. If these other characters are going to get the limelight, then they should have their own game (and I'll have the option to jump in with a new character or not). I have no interest in either whatever her name is or Apollo. I don't care about their development or where they're going in life. They're just not interesting characters to me, much like I don't like this Blackquill guy, either. I'm a fan of Phoenix, not the games themselves and he's the reason I own all the others. It's like going to see an Indiana Jones movie that focuses on everyone but Indy.

Simply, I play these games to watch Phoenix Wright be Phoenix Wright. All of the other guys are just filler to me.

I like how you know you don't like Apollo even though you haven't played his game.

Dead before even getting a chance lol

EDarkness

I like how you know you don't like Apollo even though you haven't played his game.

Dead before even getting a chance lol

I watched videos of the game when it was released on Youtube. The name was cool, but I'm just not a fan of the character and so I didn't end up buying the game.

Caae 2, 3, and 4 of AA4 were bad, horrible, and dumb. When the story is bad and the characters are bad then all hope is lost even if the graphics and ost are good.

nope, AA4 can't be the worse when AAI exists. I enjoyed it back when I played it... AAI was just fucking boring.

Kay Faraday > the entire cast of AA4, heck AAI made better use of Ema then the game she had a lead role did. I will admit AAI's final battle dragged and got a bit too complicated for it's own good, but outside of that the other 4 cases were very entertaining. The first half of case 5 was awesome too.

Draxal

Caae 2, 3, and 4 of AA4 were bad, horrible, and dumb. When the story is bad and the characters are bad then all hope is lost even if the graphics and ost are good.

Kay Faraday > the entire cast of AA4, heck AAI made better use of Ema then the game she had a lead role did. I will admit AAI's final battle dragged and got a bit too complicated for it's own good, but outside of that the other 4 cases were very entertaining. The first half of case 5 was awesome too.

That and AAI had a very very good villain
just that villain was the subvillain and not the final one
. And introduced Tyrell Badd.

spiritfox

I highly doubt the 5 second cameo of Ema in AAI1 was considered a "better use" of Ema then AA4. You might not like her personality in AA4, but it's miles better than what she was used for in AAI1.

Top Bottom