• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

demidar

Playing through the old games for the first time right now so I can make my way up to this one. Does the series consistently stay this good?

If this thread's reactions have anything to go by, then yes.

That said, a few people don't like 4 (Apollo Justice) and 2 (Justice For All) is the one regarded as the worst so it's sort of a bumpy road.

FluxWaveZ

If this thread's reactions have anything to go by, then yes.

That said, a few people don't like 4 (Apollo Justice) and 2 (Justice For All) is the one regarded as the worst so it's sort of a bumpy road.

Though, even at its worst, I'd argue that the series is always at least "good."

upandaway

*ahem* Okay I can think straight now, maybe.

I was replaying the AA1-4 in order, one case every Friday and Saturday up until 2 weeks ago, so I have some semblance of memory of them. I won't do silly things like compare them against each other but man, they're all crazy good. Crazy crazy good.

I'm really satisfied in terms of continuity, AA5 very much feels like it carries from AA4 in the same way AA2 was from AA1, which only makes me more excited and hopeful for a potential AA6, haha. There's definitely more things to show, what with the time skip and all, so a 1-2-3 style trilogy can easily take shape.
Music was also really, really amazing, but that's par the course.

More specific
The twists were all amazing, and like usual the best thing about them is that I realized them about a full scene or two before they were getting the strong hints/full reveal. I paid attention to Fulbright from the start of case 4, and finally realized it's him when I had to present the emergency ladder as the escape route (it was such an obvious thing to present, but it managed to blow me away because of what it suggested).
The only consistent times where I was genuinely blown away by the game, not by hints/suggestions, is with the "recap arrow" thing toward the end of cases. The twists there were always the craziest.

Also, the one real case per attorney setup feels like the series' final form. It's pretty genius.

Will read some of the impressions in the thread later, I guess, when I calm down a bit. Been playing for a good 12 hours straight for cases 4 and 5. Man it was so good.

One final question, did I miss anything regarding
the bombs? They were hyped so hard in case 1, I almost suspected Athena's mom for a second as their maker... then nothing was explained about them at all. I guess they're just spy items, but still...

Finished Case 3 today, have two questions: Did this case happen before or after Case 1? It didn't seem like Apollo recognized her in either case. Also, what was that tall purple thing Hugh O'Connor was always carrying around?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Also, what was that tall purple thing Hugh O'Connor was always carrying around?
I think it's for his
Bow & arrows, as I recall seeing him put it out during Day 1's trial

Hiding that just to be safe since I don't know if that's spoiler-ish or not, considering I'm only on Day 2 of Case 3.

Chrom

Finished Case 3 today, have two questions: Did this case happen before or after Case 1? It didn't seem like Apollo recognized her in either case. Also, what was that tall purple thing Hugh O'Connor was always carrying around?

Case 3 takes place before Case 1 by like two months, I think.

Shengar

Case 5 is the gift that keeps on giving i tell ya

i just started it and keeps giving me wtf moments

The twist is really damned good.
But how they handle it near the end is kinda a bummer for me. The actual, most emotional impactful moment is when the black Psyche-lock breaks and how Fulbright turned to be the spy. After that it feels like kinda dragged down even though I must admit that Fulbright put up a really, really good fight, almost as much as Gant. I'm seriously rather having Fulbright is really the phantom afterall rather than a faceless spy with that moniker.

linko9

Just finished the game today. I really think this might be the best of the series. There were maybe only 2 or 3 times in the whole game where I said "that's ridiculous" or "everyone would have realized that about an hour ago". Those sorts of situations were all too common in the previous games. And on the flip side, there were a ton of times where I said "that's really clever" or "wow, didn't see that coming, but I should have." Really well done. The 3d graphical style nails the look of the series perfectly. Music is really good as well, though I don't think it tops any of the DS entries for me. Excited for this DLC, hope it's good.

UberTag

I decided to google Juniper Woods today.
Clearly this was a mistake.

Juniper-Woods-630x278.png

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn, finished Case 3. I can't believe they managed to make
Means even freakier looking after his shift in personality
. Trying to decide if I should continue or wait so I can have a case to play while on the car ride to & from thanksgiving (though I think the DLC should suffice). That Case 4 teaser, uuugh.

The twist is really damned good.
But how they handle it near the end is kinda a bummer for me. The actual, most emotional impactful moment is when the black Psyche-lock breaks and how Fulbright turned to be the spy. After that it feels like kinda dragged down even though I must admit that Fulbright put up a really, really good fight, almost as much as Gant. I'm seriously rather having Fulbright is really the phantom afterall rather than a faceless spy with that moniker.
I agree completely.
It really bothered me how they made the Phantom almost... sympathetic in his break. I really wish they hadn't went the route with him "actually feeling emotions oh man!" and instead had Phoenix break through him even as an emotionless monster.

I think that was my biggest problem with AA5: a lot of the villains didn't seem as villainous as they should have been. Means is another good example, who for all intents and purposes should have been incredibly satisfying to bring down... but his break was played for laughs. And it wasn't very satisfying as a result.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hahahaha, finished Case 4's first part & couldn't help but laugh at
Starbuck & his rocket hair.
This is gonna be a good case.

Sami+

PFFFFFT, HAHAHA. Too good.

I do have to say I'd have loved the ending much more if not for the "love and friendship brings the truth!" nonsense, but man that twist is just too good. It may not be as good as the other finales, but it's still a really damn good case.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I do have to say I'd have loved the ending much more if not for the "love and friendship brings the truth!" nonsense, but man that twist is just too good. It may not be as good as the other finales, but it's still a really damn good case.

Yeah, they laid it on really thick this time around... and it just kept going and going. I think it ended up hurting the ending more than helping it.

Sami+

Thought you guys might enjoy this. c;

tumblr_mw8f6lnnLe1ql3mzmo1_500.png

Feel free to mock if it's been posted already, haha.

Edit -

Oh, and I also found a very accurate depiction of
Bridge to the Turnabout
from AA3.

tumblr_mwflbfnmKO1qi6n2uo2_400.gif

tumblr_mwflbfnmKO1qi6n2uo1_400.gif

Just finished case 2, i don't know something was missing in that case .. it was almost too silly.

Case 1 & case 2 aren't even trying to hide the bad guy ..i'm not found of this . i feel like the previous game were much better or much clever on this part.

So far i do like the note part of the court record .

Athena skill is a little of hit and miss it did work in case 1 , but didn't work as well in case 2.

Overall a nice game so far , just above AA4 but below all the other games. i hope it get better.

Just finished case 2, i don't know something was missing in that case .. it was almost too silly.

Case 1 & case 2 aren't even trying to hide the bad guy ..i'm not found of this . i feel like the previous game were much better or much clever on this part.

So far i do like the note part of the court record .

Athena skill is a little of hit and miss it did work in case 1 , but didn't work as well in case 2.

Overall a nice game so far , just above AA4 but below all the other games. i hope it get better.

Case 2 bored me to DEATH, after that it's just amazingness.

Shengar

DAT reaction to the twist
godot-sips.gif

Yeah, Ace Attorney series was never about shounen nonsense like friendship and such. Having it so soehorned in that ending kinda kills it for me. Still, how the director handle the twists is really good, we never had that kind of thing in Shu Takumi times. Most twist ended up bad in the original trilogy.

Sami+

Takumi certainly did a better job of raising the stakes though, that's for sure. 1-4, 2-4, 3-5, and even 4-4 were all a lot more intense than 5-5 imo. I haven't played 4-4 in years though so I might be misremembering. I just remember the villain being batshit insane.

Actually, that reminds me. AJ spoiler question -
Why did Gavin care so much about being accused for killing Drew Misham? Wasn't he already on death row for murdering Shadi Smith / Zak Gramarye? Why did he break down so bad when he got a guilty verdict?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

I give case 1 the benefit of the doubt when showing who did it at the beginning since it's meant to be more of a short tutorial case to familiarize how to figure out stuff, but yeah, case 2 was rather boring because all I was thinking was "coommeee ooonnn, when will I see the person who did it? Good, now when will they appear in court so I can finish this up?". Thankfully, case 3 totally makes up for this.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Speaking of VGCW, they really need to get Edgeworth on there. Solely so they can use his awesome theme for his entrance. ;P

Muzy72

Banned
Takumi certainly did a better job of raising the stakes though, that's for sure. 1-4, 2-4, 3-5, and even 4-4 were all a lot more intense than 5-5 imo. I haven't played 4-4 in years though so I might be misremembering. I just remember the villain being batshit insane.

Why did Gavin care so much about being accused for killing Drew Misham? Wasn't he already on death row for murdering Shadi Smith / Zak Gramarye? Why did he break down so bad when he got a guilty verdict?
I think it's because being found guilty would prove Wright's innocence in the forgery scandal, meaning he could get his badge back. Then everything he did for the past 7 years (forgery + murdering Misham and Gramarye) were for nothing.

Shengar

Don't forget 1-5, where is it just one case but the stakes is almost as high as any other game finale. It takes full 3 days of trial yet feels so rightfully paced.

Isn't much because Vera's non-guilty verdict? He never confess in the end, only laughed so loudly like madman. All important to him because he is a man with huge ass ego, just like his little brother. Killing a man because 7 years old grudge and ruined the life of Phoenix because he lost to a card game is a prove to his ego. Given his connection to legal world though, I believe life sentence is the worst he can get. But with all the shame and humiliation he got from Wright, I think it worst than death.

I think case 4-4 finale indeed cleared up Phoenix name in some way or another, but given Edgeworth involvement to make it easier for him to earned his badge back, that mean what happened with Kirstoph in 4-4 never considered as official statement or something like that.

Taxman

Disclaimer: I have weird opinions about this series. For example, I think 3 is really overrated and nowhere near as good as the first game. Also I think that the first game's final chapter is the best case they've made so far. So anyway...
This is my new favorite game in the series. I absolutely adore it. I loved every single case, I love the graphics, I love the sound (except for the voiceovers in the anime cutscenes.) I'm so excited that there's a DLC chapter coming and I would like nothing more than to see like 10 more coming afterwards.
But my favorite thing is just how they improved the UI. Investigating is SO much better now. No more clicking around rooms and having to read the same dialog over and over again because you were two pixels off and clicked on something for the 4th time. Now I can tell if I already clicked on something. Also now there's that to-do list so I can remember what I was doing before I put my system down for a few hours. And how you can go anywhere without having to navigate a freaking maze of locations. I think just these things alone with a decent case set would make this game top 3 for me. But with cases as good as these? Best game so far. No question.

I am so confused someone help

Case 4

Just got to the point where the rooms in the space station were reversed? Can someone explain? I don't get the whole bomb thing. If the bomb went off in launch pad 2, then why was 1 destroyed when they were switched back?

Top Bottom