• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Frolow

Banned
Looking forward to finally redeeming my FE + SMT4 eshop credit this week. Haven't played an Ace Attorney game since the first one on DS, so this should be a treat. Loving Nick's new look!

Eh, I'd try to play through the games you're missing out on since the plot is strongly connected throughout all of' them, or at least read a plot summery if you haven't got the time.

protonion

I'm very happy to read that the perceive system is back! I enjoyed it a lot. One of them gave me serious trouble back then.
Sweating
. I was this close to search for a guide.

To be honest that new emotion analyzer from the demo did nothing for me. I cannot see how it can offer any serious challenge.

ohlawd

still breaks my heart we're gonna have people playing this as their first AA game or they started the series but didn't follow through all the way.

L~A

How limited we're talking?

Very limited. If you don't use a time machine to buy it, you're screwed. Cough up the dough, dude!.... Actually, what secretanchitman said!

I didn't even know there was DLC.

There is :

1) bonus costumes (free for a limited time)
2) some sort of quizz, but only in Japan (won't be localised)
3) bonus case, as long as a regular case. WILL be localised, and will come later (you'll have to pay).

I doubt this is going to have a midnight launch on the eShop, right?

Since it's coming on Thursday, I presume it'll come at the same time as the weekly eShop update (otherwise they'd released it on Tuesday). Besides, there's no retail version, so it's truly a Downloadable title. Thefore, it'll probably gonna come along with the other downloadable titles for this week.

And damn, every time I think about this game, I'm like "Wow, it's actually coming out in less than 3 days!"... then I think about Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney, and I'm like "Holy f*ck, it's atually coming out Early 2014!". Sweet days :)

ASIS

What's wrong with iOS versions?

EDIT: I know this is off topic, but that part of the FAQ stood out to me.

Javier

still breaks my heart we're gonna have people playing this as their first AA game or they started the series but didn't follow through all the way.
We will need a separate SPOILERS OT for those who have played every game in the series (except AAI2).

EDIT:

- On several occasions, animations will be played wrong, incorrect names in the text box will display, and there are actually more typos than the DS versions (with most of the typos that were in the DS versions not being fixed).
- The framerate in nearly every animation is reduced, leading to very limited animations and flip-flap mouth movements.
- At least two music tracks are missing (Pearl's Theme being the most notorious absence).
- Some CGs are missing. This ruins the atmosphere during the narration of certain scenes, including a crucial scene in the very last case.
- In the DS versions, you unlocked a piece of artwork by beating each case. In the iOS version, these artworks are unlocked from the beginning, which spoil some moments in the game (mostly surprise appearances by certain characters).
- The music for the first game is DS quality, but for the second and third game it's GBA quality. It's quite an striking difference in some cases.
- Case 1-5, which uses touch controls for its puzzles, plays terrible in general, with a lot of touch inputs not registering proper. One puzzle in particular needs to be solved in a very specific way, otherwise, the game will consider it a failure.

Omikaru

Well, they redrew all the sprites (traced over the top of the originals, presumably), and some of them look hideous. Framerate isn't great. Apparently some of the still image scenes have been cut. The music in AA2 and 3 is from the GBA version rather than the enhanced DS version. Some Engrish, even though the game was translated pretty well on the DS.

Overall a messy port, and should only be picked up as an absolute last resort.

squall23

It's opinionated but the art is iffy, the text and textbox is amateur-ish and some people feel the sound isn't as good as the DS versions.

Stuff isn't synced well (certain animations that should play together just don't or lack the same effects), the front is pretty bad, text is retranslated and sounds a bit more robotic in places.

It's just not a great place to play the game if you have other options.

ASIS

Well, they redrew all the sprites (traced over the top of the originals, presumably), and some of them look hideous. Framerate isn't great. Apparently some of the still image scenes have been cut. The music in AA2 and 3 is from the GBA version rather than the enhanced DS version. Some Engrish, even though the game was translated pretty well on the DS.

Overall a messy port, and should only be picked up as an absolute last resort.

It's opinionated but the art is iffy, the text and textbox is amateur-ish and some people feel the sound isn't as good as the DS versions.

Shitty ports. They're playable but get the DS versions if you can.

Stuff isn't synced well (certain animations that should play together just don't or lack the same effects), the front is pretty bad, text is retranslated and sounds a bit more robotic in places.

It's just not a great place to play the game if you have other options.

Wow thanks guys for the replies!

Don't worry I already played and beat al 4 ace attorneys on the DS, so I'm good. I was a bit curious that's all. I am a bit baffled how they can screw something like that up though.

I'll probably beat this game in a couple days... It's like reading a good book, you just can't stop!

They need to announce more DLC!

AND REMASTER THE OTHER GAMES IN 3D FFS

Timeless

I'll probably beat this game in a couple days... It's like reading a good book, you just can't stop!

They need to announce more DLC!

AND REMASTER THE OTHER GAMES IN 3D FFS

I'm hoping for a 3D remaster as well. Would you guys want crime scenes and evidence remastered in 3D? I'm fine with a minimal-effort port job, as long as each game is $10 digitally. That would mean re-using assets that are used in AA5 for characters, and I guess leaving all the 2D evidence in 2D.

I don't trust Capcom to do anything better or more ambitious. I also don't want to pay $30 per remaster.

Ok so don't complain when the next one doesn't make it to America then...

If you don't buy it we don't get the sequels

This is EXACTLY why Capcom can suck a fat cock. I get that these games might not be the most profitable thing ever, but that kind of logic just pisses me off. It's the same as Square saying "Well, rebuy Chrono Trigger for the 4th time and we might make a sequel!". I REALLY want to support this game, but I don't want to spend money on the e-shop because Nintendo is so far behind on how an online account system should work. If Capcom will put this on the vita, I'll buy a copy for me, and a copy for my old roommate, just to show support.

It's the same as Square saying "Well, rebuy Chrono Trigger for the 4th time and we might make a sequel!".
It really isn't the same. They made a sequel. If the game doesn't sell, then there is no reason for them to keep bringing the games over. CApcom hasn't ever said anything like it directly, ( That I am aware of ) but we all know because it's just obvious, and the same way virtually every business works. When a product sells worse with each iteration, you have to stop selling it in that region (or cut costs to justify it... kinda like going digital download only. Huh, who would have thought?)

Oh, and AA5 is going to sell worse than the previous games based solely on the fact than the 3ds has a pitiful install base compared to the DS when apollo justice came out.

If Capcom will put this on the vita, I'll buy a copy for me, and a copy for my old roommate, just to show support.

You think capcom would ever consider a vita version when they don't think it can sell well enough on the 3ds? Really?

You could always wait for a low framerate iOS version though, I suppose.

I've been replaying the first four games in the series over the past week. I'm on the last segment of the last case of JFA.

Something that really comes across this time around is simply how bad the translation is. There are a mind-boggling number of spelling and grammatical errors in this game. I don't know if it was a rush job or if the translation team just didn't have a great grasp of English but I'm coming across a lot of errors and it really takes me out of it.

I have a pessimistic feeling that once the launch hype wears off, this end up about as good as AAI. Which is to say goooooood, but a huge drop from what you'd have gotten with Shu Takumi.

Nosgoroth

When I wake up tomorrow the game will be releasing in two days. It's now[/] that the lack of a plysical release irks me most, because if there was one I could start looking for it tomorrow in places likely to break street date.

daydream

Banned
Got my eShop card today and the new SD card should arrive on Wednesday. Hard to believe this game is coming out this week!

CorvoSol

So can I download the DLC without starting the first episode? Cuz I'm still in Apollo Justice so I dunno if I'll finish it before Thursday, but I have the eShop cred and don't wanna miss out on the free DLC.

I've been replaying the first four games in the series over the past week. I'm on the last segment of the last case of JFA.

Something that really comes across this time around is simply how bad the translation is. There are a mind-boggling number of spelling and grammatical errors in this game. I don't know if it was a rush job or if the translation team just didn't have a great grasp of English but I'm coming across a lot of errors and it really takes me out of it.

That's...weird, because Phoenix Wright translations are considered among the best. They managed to keep the character's personality and funny jokes across very different languages and cultures. I certainly didn't catch any grammatical and spelling error, but again, English is not my first language...

Tizoc

EDIT:
Dear UK 3DS eShop:
WHY WON'T YOU LET ME BUY PHOENIX WRIGHT DD NOW?!?!?!
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!!?!?!?!?

Lusankya

Are you playing the iOS version by chance? They actually managed to add many errors for this version.
But maybe I never realized there were also many errors in the NDS version. That's one of the blessings of not being a native English speaker. ;)

The second game certainly has the most typos out of all of the DS versions. That's not to say the translation is bad, which is sort of a different issue.

Verelios

That's...weird, because Phoenix Wright translations are considered among the best. They managed to keep the character's personality and funny jokes across very different languages and cultures. I certainly didn't catch any grammatical and spelling error, but again, English is not my first language...

I only saw very minimal grammatical errors when I replayed it a couple months ago. Most noticeably, were some wrong instances of word placement, missing names and maybe an extra letter or two. Nothing big that would take me out of the experience. I can't speak for other people though, so that may be a deal breaker.

I always play them on the DS and did not get the IOS version, if that's what he's talking about.

I have a pessimistic feeling that once the launch hype wears off, this end up about as good as AAI. Which is to say goooooood, but a huge drop from what you'd have gotten with Shu Takumi.

Bah, whatever. Let him futz about with the crossovers and Ghost Trick. If he wants out don't let him back in

How many blocks does the game take? I have 7000 free, but and maybe I can free up some more...

Pretty sure you're good

Are you playing the iOS version by chance? They actually managed to add many errors for this version.
But maybe I never realized there were also many errors in the NDS version. That's one of the blessings of not being a native English speaker. ;)

I only saw very minimal grammatical errors when I replayed it a couple months ago. Most noticeably, were some wrong instances of word placement, missing names and maybe an extra letter or two. Nothing big that would take me out of the experience. I can't speak for other people though, so that may be a deal breaker.

I always play them on the DS and did not get the IOS version, if that's what he's talking about.

Nope, playing the DS version. I don't even own an iDevice but I'd never get it on there anyway.

The characterization is good, but the spelling and grammatical errors really jump out at me... and there are a LOT of issues with it. The biggest problem seems to be words that are simply used incorrectly. One I saw just last night, I wish I had written it down, because I actually laughed due to how bad it was.

One that came up repeatedly was in the Kurain Village case... where in the Channeling Room, Phoenix notes that there is an "alter" that seems to be part of the ritual (as opposed to "altar.") In the last case, the judge says: "Then the murder is...?" (as opposed to, "Then the murderer is...?) and so on.

There's a lot of them. It doesn't ruin the game by any stretch but it does pull me out of it temporarily because I find it pretty jarring.

Top Bottom