• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

jschreier

I'm just not sure I buy that someone who's presumably distraught because he just watched someone die from his arms would be devious enough to call this nonfiction author who happened to be at the same place a year ago and then set up this whole convoluted plot.

FluxWaveZ

I'm just not sure I buy that someone who's presumably distraught because he just watched someone die from his arms would be devious enough to call this nonfiction author who happened to be at the same place a year ago and then set up this whole convoluted plot.

Perhaps
he blamed the orca out of rage for the death of the captain at the time, making him really want it gone and only really coming to terms with his guilt when Phoenix cornered him.

Jintor

Rimes liked the captain, sure, but he really, really hated that orca

Vibranium

Banned
best thing about the dlc case is that it seems like they purposely did not do any research on how these animals would behave irl, and just wrote them based off how they imagine they would with zero wikipediaing.

Serious question: why should they when the game is fun and crazy? And hey, you never know, maybe there are penguins out there who actually do like to snuggle in people's hair (though more likely a woman's in real life).

spiritfox

Rimes liked the captain, sure, but he really, really hated that orca

He did have a year to stew on it and even planned to kill Orla by joining the aquarium. Plus, he might have some ill feelings towards the Captain for not euthanizing Orla after killing his girlfriend. I guess someone that has revenge on his mind for so long isn't going to change his mind so fast.

Mr. RHC

I'm really enjoying the fact that in Case 3
you get to play as Athena the whole time! That's a model they should go for in future games as well, having multiple defense attorneys through the game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Now that I've had a few days to let it sink it, might as well post some final impressions:

+ The presentation seriously was fantastic. It was great that they were able to get more fluid animations, different angles, etc. & seriously hope we see more games that use this engine. Heck, it was so nice being able to have different angles when they pull back & show the courtroom.

+ The fact you switch between who you play as was a nice small touch to help keep things different, including the different "powers". However....

- While it was great seeing them introduce a new mechanic & bring back
Apollo's bracelet & PW's magatama
was cool, it kind of felt inbalanced, ESPECIALLY considering
the magatama, as I recall, got only used TWICE, once in case 4 & 5 each.
I'm glad the variety is there, but it's still kind of disappointing when the mechanic's there & barely used compared to another that gets featured more often, despite the fact it's new.

+ The small touches for gameplay were great. Being able to look back at the script, the hand having a checkmark if you already investigated something, being able to adjust the angle of the room while investigating, being able to go back to a specific chapter/point of a case, having notes to tell me what I should do if I forgot what I was suppose to do next, a gallery to view the cutscenes and pictures, it's all really nice things.

+ The cases (aside from 2 being...weird, and the fact
you SAW at the beginning so it feels dragged out
) were done well, especially 4 & 5. I'll hopefully check out the DLC case later this week, so I'll give my opinion on that as well.

+- The voice acting & cutscenes were.....mixed. I liked how they were used as an introduction for a case, but other times, they just appeared out of nowhere. I couldn't call them bad, but aside from the intros for each case, it's hard to say if I felt they "added" anything. As for voice acting, again, mixed. Some were good, while others weren't bad, but just didn't fit the character. Speaking of characters....

- It was cool certain characters returned, but then others felt more like "HEY I'M A CAMEO KTHXBYE", like
Pearls & to some extent Trucy since she didn't do too much like in AA4
compared to
Edgeworth in Case 5, as I felt he DID contribute to the plot.
Maybe they were just teases, but considering how well other returning supporting characters were handled, maybe next time the same will be done to the examples I mentioned.

Overall, this was a great entry into the series & I really hope that they're able to make more AA games using this style.
or AA Trilogy HD with those graphics but that'll never happen....

discord in the heart yo. pay attention to the game mechanics!

also blame...
roid rage?

So I'm in the DLC case and I just got up to a certain character.

DR CRAB HAS A TINY PENGUIN IN HIS HAIR AND HE TRIES TO CATCH IT AND IT KEEPS ESCAPING.
SO CUTE.
DEAR LORD MY HEART.

Jintor

tumblr_mww4dwi5TI1smh6ngo1_500.png

Salsa

ashamed to say I just now been able to make some progress in the game due to my new job taking a lot of my time. talk about bad timing :(

on the third case right now. so cheesy, love it. bit disappointed about how the game seems more streamlined, altho I'm digging it more as I go along since I guess it cuts some unnecessary fat at the expense of losing a bit of control.
sin
trying not to rush it, since I bought zelda day one and I'm trying not to play it till I'm done with this

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Played through the first part of Day 1's trial of the DLC and enjoying it. Already I like the fact it kind of give me more of
Pearls & the Magatana/psych-locks,
which I mentioned I felt kind of lacked in the main game. Also, that anime intro was just silly.

Gvaz

Banned
I like that the first half of the case is easy, then the rest there are too many issues with weird stretches of logic.

I'm enjoying the DLC case, so far this may even be the best case of the game. I think I'm pretty close to the end...

One thing that annoys me, is how young [spoiler}Pearls[/spoiler] seems compared to the rest of the characters with similar ages. It would be nice if she was more like Maya (not speaking about any case in particular, just in general in this game).

Frost_Ace

Do we have any idea how much this game sold? Hopefully it did well enough for Capcom to bring over the next game.

let's hope they bring out AAI2 on the eshop too >_>

Anyway I'm playing case 3 right now, this shit is insane.
Robin was female REALLY?

Do we have any idea how much this game sold? Hopefully it did well enough for Capcom to bring over the next game.

Apparently it did well in Japan. Not sure how well it did in the West though, given the fact it was digital only.

Anyway I'm playing case 3 right now, this shit is insane.
Robin was female REALLY?

Wasn't too big a fan of case 3.
And I thought Robin was female right from the start, I was so confused when they started calling her "him".

Finished the DLC case. The later third of the case dragged a bit, but I'm not complaining too much. Everything was relatively logical, and overall this was maybe the most old school of the AA5 cases.

I liked how there were 3 characters who were suspicious, so it was not clear from the start who did it. And there were a couple of places where I didn't know what evidence to present, so there was some difficulty there compared to most ofter cases. Which was nice. And Pearls is supposed to be only an year younger than Athena? Oh please, surely she's younger in the Japanese version?

ohlawd

I liked how there were 3 characters who were suspicious, so it was not clear from the start who did it. And there were a couple of places where I didn't know what evidence to present, so there was some difficulty there compared to most ofter cases. Which was nice. And Pearls is supposed to be only an year younger than Athena? Oh please, surely she's younger in the Japanese version?

inorite? Maybe when she turns 18 she'll undergo a super huge growth spurt

Mr. RHC

Case 4 by the way:

Love the scene when everyone was cheering up Starbuck, the Judge with the gavel, counting down for ignition!

UberTag

Extra points for the cosplayer if she posed in random places as just a stationary box (which would require some adept flexibility).
Double extra points if protractors, school supplies and a laptop falls out of her box when she lifts it up over her head and she actually has Myriam's black pigtails.

Someone has never watched Detective Conan.
Pretty much every murder is "I accidentally killed this person and set up this incredibly elaborate framejob/fake suicide in five minutes while everyone was in the other room."

Didn't know Spike Spiegel was in the dlc case.
Yup, just what I thought when I first saw him hahaha. That plus Sniper made Dr. Crab an even better character than he already is.

Well, a Capcom rep said this:
[...]Resident Evil Revelations and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies pretty much hit their targets[...]
Source
Note that this is from October 31. Who knows if it has sold significantly better now!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I noticed that in the Best Sellers section one week (I think it was earlier last week), it was actually #2
behind Senran Kagura Burst
so hopefully it was a sign that it was doing well. I just hope it was more than enough to show that future games will be worth bringing over.

DaBoss

The recent bestseller list is not really important or good to look at, however, the All-Time Charts are, and it to the All-Time (non-VC) Chart in the UK at #13.
Well, a Capcom rep said this:

Source
Note that this is from October 31. Who knows if it has sold significantly better now!
That's good to hear.

Top Bottom