• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Athena being kind of a health nut but it not being her gimmick is pretty amusing.
I like that she has a lot of defining personality traits, but none of them overtake her character.

I am very pleasantly surprised by her so far. I was a bit worried after her initial introduction on the courthouse stairs, but after that she's been pretty cool. A great addition to the main cast.

Let's see if case 5 changes that... (Though it's been nothing but awesome so far.)

Jintor

tumblr_mt1pieWmqe1r6rl6bo1_500.jpg

oh my

Just finished case 5 .

I must admit ...i didn't expect
fullbright to be a fake
Well done.
The last moment with the robots during case 4 & 5 were quite good.

Overall the game is MUCH MUCH better than PW4 but still inférior to PW3 & PWI2 ( the 2 best ones easily )

I still have the dlc to play but i need some time to diggest that case 5.

Sera O

Banned
I'm loving the DLC case. I just got past a part where
Norma and Athena are arguing over the contents of the pirate song
, musical style. Also,
Sniper living in the vet's hair
is too. freaking. cute.

The case itself is pretty interesting. I'm taking my time finishing it. Are there any more DLC cases planned? Adding episodes like this works well for this game and wouldn't be hard to fit in, especially given the number of attorneys at the agency now.

Every time Blackquill scratches Taka's chin I still stop to enjoy the happytaka animation for a while.

One thing I dislike about the DLC case is its use of the
"culprit changes into intimidating FINAL FORM once you've figured out who he is"
series trope. That's something that works when
the culprit sems like a nice guy but is actually pure fucking evil, ie Means and whatshisname from the last case of 2
, but in this case
the killer had a fairly sympathetic motive and, in fact, didn't even murder anybody

Making you think that
the killer is Crab
via use of the
"when in doubt, the killer is the last character you're introduced to" rule that the series trains you on
, among other things, was pretty good.

Overall I'm not sure if I liked how much this game recycles plot points from previous games in the series- in case 5
Athena's situation is pretty much a carbon copy of Edgeworth's in 1-4
, while the DLC case is pretty much an improved re-make of
the circus case in 2, all the way down to the culprit's motivation of vengeance for an animal-related injury and him getting the wrong person killed.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I gotta say them doing digital only was a smart move for the game. With visual novel games, specially ones like this series where it's pretty much start to end with no branching paths once people beat it once they sell it. Thus people tend to go and buy the used copies for cheap after a while :p

Mistle

Just finished the 5th case. That was such a huge payoff. The reveal and the animations and music... Just everything.

I loved this game and it's presentation so much. Now that they have the engine build, I hope the 3DS sees some sequels!

I loved this game and it's presentation so much. Now that they have the engine build, I hope the 3DS sees some sequels!
Yeah, they should be cranking out the sequels. The formula lends itself perfectly to more games, and they have enough principal characters that they can swap focus on different mains and keep things fresh.

Ace Attorney forever.

Zornica

Banned
just came back to finish the dlc case a few days ago after finishing zelda.
D.A.M.N.
I certainly didn't expect it to be the best case of the entire game. don't get me wrong, I liked the others too, but this one is just on an entirely different level. the characters, the music, the mystery... just greatness all around. This case feels like capcom gave the developers free range and let them do what they wanted. And I hope they will do the same for AA6. I am really glad the game ended on such an astonishing high note for me.

The localization is great, well done! I actually had to play the earlier entries in German, because that was the only translation that was included in the German release (Edit: along with Italian and Spanish..yeah. Edit 2: Actually, the languages included varied from game to game. That's so weird.). It never even gets close to the English translation which is much more entertaining and clever, I compared it.
depends on what you're looking for I guess, but I'd have to disagree. There is something about the english localisation that bugs me to no end, but I won't go into detail now

[/QUOTE]
never noticed dat pantsu during the game...

Soooo...I think I have the hots for Buckler. What is wrong with me?

Case 5
were Aura and Athena's mom lovers? Mmm

That's what I got out of it. And I like it that way.

Edit: I just started the DLC case. What in the hell at this client lol
Also, was this case already on the cart before downloading? I swear this thing downloaded in all of a minute or less. It was really fast...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There were a few moments in the DLC that made it seem like it was originally integrated in the game after case 1. Moreso than simply reequating with the mechanics of the game.

Usually I would be more mad about that but I am a defeated gamer at this point.

depends on what you're looking for I guess, but I'd have to disagree. There is something about the english localisation that bugs me to no end, but I won't go into detail now
I feel the same way.
There are some parts that are well done and there are some moments where you feel that the localisation failed hard.( case 2 and early case 5 in particular)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There were a few moments in the DLC that made it seem like it was originally integrated in the game after case 1. Moreso than simply reequating with the mechanics of the game.
To be fair, it can be played after finishing Case 1, so they probably felt that it'd be best to explain some things since if someone played the case right after Case 1, some of the mechanics would be considered new to them.

Nicktendo86

Well had a go at the demo last night, didn't want to play too much as I've still not played AA4 yet and don't want to spoil it, my god I LOVE the new graphics. Forgot how much I love AA games, will have to get through the second half od 3 & play 4 so I can get onto this! Didn't reaslise this was digital only as well, I've been looking for it on Amazon!!!

Downhome

Which AA games should I play before giving this one a go? I know it works best to have played some in the series, but what could I get by on? I played the first one on release but for some reason never touched the series after that. I could pick up the first three at GameStop tomorrow for $40. Is that really necessary to get the most out of this one?

Which AA games should I play before giving this one a go? I know it works best to have played some in the series, but what could I get by on? I played the first one on release but for some reason never touched the series after that. I could pick up the first three at GameStop tomorrow for $40. Is that really necessary to get the most out of this one?

Outside of (little) fan service, the other games have no relevance for this one.

FluxWaveZ

I don't see why you'd want to skip any seeing as they're all great. AA3 itself is consistently rated higher than AA5 by fans for how well it concluded the first trilogy.

You could play Dual Destinies without playing any of the previous games, although you would miss plenty of references to previous games. AA4 would probably be the most useful to play before AA5.

Edit: New Capcom Unity blog post on how the DLC case was created.

Tizoc

FINALLY got the 3DS back and recently started the Extra Case.
I'm only like 30-60 mins. into it but I love it. I love this series so much.

One thing though, there was a typo at the very beginning of the case
The box read 12:37 AM, should've read PM. Damnit Capcapom lol

Alfredo

Just got to the transformation in the DLC case. Holy crap, that was incredible and highly unexpected.

But now my 3DS's battery is dead, and it's the second day of an ice storm that knocked out my house's power. Looks like I'll have to wait a while before I can save Orla...

Zornica

Banned
One thing though, there was a typo at the very beginning of the case
The box read 12:37 AM, should've read PM. Damnit Capcapom lol
to be fair, the AM/PM clock is pretty stupid.
I would imagine, if you don't use it on a regular base (like in japan - or anywhere else in the world that isn't the US/AUS/etc), an error like this could occur very easily.

Just finished the game, what a beautiful experience it was! I loved all characters, the music is top notch as always and the graphics are an improvement for the series.The story was fantastic even if I saw the "twist" of the fifth case coming hours earlier, guess I'm getting used to this kind of stories. Downloading DLC right now!

Finished the main game last night. It was electric. (I'm proud of myself for correctly guessing the main villain beforehand, but I was still a bit surprised when it turned out to be true.)

I'll wait to post my full impressions until after I finish the DLC case, but needless to say I think this is an excellent addition to the series.

Salsa

3Rmk1IVl.jpg

roll credits. too bad I took too long thanks to my new job, but I guess it gave me time to savor it.

damn that was great. probably my favorite after 3. Im not a big fan of how they streamlined it (specific areas to examine, not as much free movement and all that) but the narrative is so good and for the most part so engaging that I can forgive it. It felt a bit more like an on-rails ride but you could barely tell cause you were so in it.

and yeah, the production values are hard to ignore. it's like the series finally got the budget it deserves and it does take it up a notch compared to the others.

I'll finish A Link Between Worlds before playing the DLC, cant wait.

i hope the writers of ace attorney 6 continue the trend of making everything really fucking japanese because the lampshading of the setting in the localization is one of the best parts

except everyone knows that hamburgers look like soup

I'm finally playing the DLC, it feels like a good chapter but I'm going to be disappointed if it ends up being like the dog episode in Columbo/Detective Conan.

Top Bottom