• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Tremis

This man does his research.
comic331_zps0e179cf7.png

#dead

Just finished the game and come into this thread and what do I see. So funny.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, today's Awkward Zombie comic was hilarious, especially the look on their faces on the last 2 panels.

Zornica

Banned

pretty much this.
can someone please explain to me why they had to change the location where these games take place for the English localisation?
As far as I am aware, that's not the case for other language versions of the game.
(maybe someone who played the French or Spanish version can shed some light on this?)

Accidentally got spoiled on the murderer of case three, just after I started it. Is this going to ruin my enjoyment of it? I was excited to finally not know from the start.

pretty much this.
can someone please explain to me why they had to change the location where these games take place for the English localisation?
As far as I am aware, that's not the case for other language versions of the game.
(maybe someone who played the French or Spanish version can shed some light on this?)

Because some of the contradictions are location based such as time zones and steering wheel placement in cars. It was done so that people of various regions wouldn't need to research other locations. The baseball glove contradiction of 2-1 confused other region players from what I recall.

I believe similar steps were taken for the Europe releases as well but don't hold me to that.

Because some of the contradictions are location based such as time zones and steering wheel placement in cars. It was done so that people of various regions wouldn't need to research other locations. The baseball glove contradiction of 2-1 confused other region players from what I recall.

I believe similar steps were taken for the Europe releases as well but don't hold me to that.

I'm pretty sure some items were changed in the french version: kotatsu because a regular table and such.

i also remember a that something else was replaced by a TV in PW2

I remember the explanations at the time were so it would ease newer players or something like that.

Zornica

Banned
I happen to own the german, english and japanese version of AA2. I might as well just give them a go and compare them to one another.
I guess case 2 would be the best one for that? (the one with kurain and the car...)
speaking of... how did they explain the in the japanese version... it wouldn't even be a contradiction there...

spiritfox

I happen to own the german, english and japanese version of AA2. I might as well just give them a go and compare them to one another.
I guess case 2 would be the best one for that? (the one with kurain and the car...)
speaking of... how did they explain the in the japanese version... it wouldn't even be a contradiction there...

It's easy enough to switch the positions around, since it's just text and not a picture.

I'm fine with localization if only we don't have to use Japanese names. The name puns will be so lost to non-Japanese players.

It's the same thing but it was an American car, which has the seats in the different position than Japanese cars. So for the American release it was made into a European car.

daydream

Banned
But Filch, yo.

Eh, he's alright, as is Jinxie (she gets a bit annoying, I agree with Flux). Pretty weak cast compared to the rest of the cases. Still, I don't dislike this case.

Or any AA case, really. For example, I don't mind the circus case and I even have fond of memories of Lamiroir.

rekameohs

Banned
Eh, he's alright, as is Jinxie (she gets a bit annoying, I agree with Flux). Pretty weak cast compared to the rest of the cases. Still, I don't dislike this case.

Or any AA case, really. For example, I don't mind the circus case and I even have fond of memories of Lamiroir.
Circus case had Trilo Quist and "In West Clownadelphia, born and raised", so that pretty much makes up for its problems.

simple question: i'm most of the way through the second case. does this game eventually get better than this? because, right now, playing it's become almost sleep-inducingly boring to me...

replayed the original trilogy just a few weeks ago, & was once again blown away by how great it is. but this? the intro case was just okay, &, hey, it's the intro case, so i wasn't really expecting much. but this second case?
so horribly sloooow. so unfunny (especially the friggin' detective!). & why the hell am i stuck playing as apollo?!

so just tell me things improve. please :) ...

Leezard

simple question: i'm most of the way through the second case. does this game eventually get better than this? because, right now, playing it's become almost sleep-inducingly boring to me...

replayed the original trilogy just a few weeks ago, & was once again blown away by how great it is. but this? the intro case was just okay, &, hey, it's the intro case, so i wasn't really expecting much. but this second case?
so horribly sloooow. so unfunny (especially the friggin' detective!). & why the hell am i stuck playing as apollo?!

Yes, it gets way better.

Sorian

Banned

You're upset playing as the best character in the game? Get out.

DaBoss

sorry, but i'm thinking there's a reason the game's not named after who you consider to be the best character. & i know i personally would've passed on it if it had been :) ...
Apollo shows a lot more character progression than any other character in the game IMO. Athena is a close second.

Also, Apollo becomes an actual likable character in this game more so than AA4.

spiritfox

sorry, but i'm thinking there's a reason the game's not named after who you consider to be the best character. & i know i personally would've passed on it if it had been :) ...

Hey you already had a game where the best character's name was not part of the title, so it isn't without precedent...

Poor Apollo.

jaxword

I always wondered why they insisted on having a US setting.

Same reason why some people freak out and awkwardly try to find ways around Japanese honorifics and customs. Final Fantasy fans sometimes do this when they complain about body language X.

I can't play a game based OUTSIDE of America, I'll be so confused!!!

ZeroX03

Banned
Accidentally got spoiled on the murderer of case three, just after I started it. Is this going to ruin my enjoyment of it? I was excited to finally not know from the start.

Case 3 is all about the characters and breakdowns. The villain spoiler doesn't really matter.

Case 4/5 and DLC are more twisty/unpredictable.

Finished the game + DLC in 29 hours. Fun, but probably my least favorite main series AA game. Wasn't a fan of a lot of the choices made in the game, but can understand how others might be.

tmarques

Case 3 is all about the characters and breakdowns. The villain spoiler doesn't really matter.

Case 4/5 and DLC are more twisty/unpredictable.

Finished the game + DLC in 29 hours. Fun, but probably my least favorite main series AA game. Wasn't a fan of a lot of the choices made in the game, but can understand how others might be.

I think I'll end up agreeing with this. Just finished case 4 (was it super short or am I imagining things?) and none of the cases so far have been really memorable. 2 was pretty horrible actually. I was excited to get Phoenix back and while Athena isn't a bad replacement for Maya, the rest of the cast is a borefest. I especially dislike the new prosecutor.

Also, did they have to make the game this easy? Even when the answer is pretty obvious they make sure one of the characters points out the contradiction. Really annoying.

ZeroX03

Banned
Also, did they have to make the game this easy? Even when the answer is pretty obvious they make sure one of the characters points out the contradiction. Really annoying.

I'm torn on this. Streamlining it means you aren't stuck pixel hunting or trying to present a single random piece of evidence, and it's better for new players, but it makes the exploration scenes seem even more limited than before and you rarely ever get the satisfaction from cracking a particular tough cross-examination.

Okamid3n

Finished the game. It was great! I'm glad they made the investigations part a lot less tedious.

Still liked AA1/AA3 slightly better, but this game was well worth it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

This is my biggest complaint about the cross-examinations now. I always go through the entire testimony and press everything because I want to read all the dialogue, even if I already see the contradiction... but then having your partner spell out the contradiction makes you feel like an idiot. It takes away all sense of accomplishment and anticipation.

I think AA5 has made some good steps toward it with the consult system, but I'd love to see a more tiered help system.

Like, it really sucks when you know exactly what to present or say but then you're forced to watch a flashback or listen to someone give you hints. Takes away a lot of your satisfaction of figuring stuff out. I think it's necessary to have stuff like that in there somewhere so people can enjoy the game even if they're bad at reasoning, but it makes finding solutions a lot less gratifying otherwise.

Maybe give you the option to get additional information on second or third presses? Or make consulting an option that appears more frequently and gives more varied information? I'm not exactly sure what I'd change but I think it'd be something neat to look into.

Madouu

This is my biggest complaint about the cross-examinations now. I always go through the entire testimony and press everything because I want to read all the dialogue, even if I already see the contradiction... but then having your partner spell out the contradiction makes you feel like an idiot. It takes away all sense of accomplishment and anticipation.

I never press the last part of the testimony for this very reason.

Salsa

It's streamlined way too much.

yeah, add the ability to explore everything if just for the dialog + added sense of freedom and i'd be happier with the game

I still think its my second favorite tho. It has a lot to do with the moment and production values finally matching up to what the series deserves but I think it's a valid reason.

3 is straight up one of my favorite games of all time tho and way above this still

Jintor

those animations... so beautiful... *sniff*

they're so goddamn good. Capcom did good

now if only there was a good way to sprite-rip them with transparent backgrounds...

Top Bottom