• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Shengar

Oh, could you please add the badge to mine too? That'd be greatly appreciated!

Sammy Samusu already done it lol, just after I do
Here's my work
05jo5Hu.jpg

Friend of mine bought an XL for this (and Pokemon). Hasn't touched the series since Trials and Tribulations. The hype is real.

Also didnt know Detective Conan and other anime were on topic. :p

Shengar

Friend of mine bought an XL for this (and Pokemon). Hasn't touched the series since Trials and Tribulations. The hype is real.

It's detective anime with a lot of weird ass case so I though make comparison between them and AA is rather fair.
Though frankly, AA have more solid, better writing on its case compared to those anime. Also they managed it right, not too weird but also not too normal. Only AJ case 3 guilty of being complicated for the sake of complicated.
Daryan is a good culprit though, put a lot of resistance before going break

OceanBlue

Don't worry, we would've stopped talking about it if people told us it weren't. ;)

I'm probably going to stop playing everything else until I finish this game, which has been the story of every game released this month lol. Sorry Pokemon, RF4, FF14, (soon to be BBCP).

dwix

This is going to be my first Ace Attorney game. I really enjoyed the demo and I'm pretty pumped for release.

GSR

This is a very story-heavy franchise. You'll be missing out on A TON of references and backstory and general character development. It's like starting to watch Lost on its 3rd season or something like that.

I think that's a bit harsh - the games' plots aren't directly connected like that suggests. But you do get more out of playing the past ones to recognize old characters/concepts.

jschreier

I'll be the odd man out here: I think AA5 is actually a perfect starting point. It doesn't really spoil anything from previous games, and the story is totally self-contained. And it does a good job of cutting down all the little annoyances that the others had.

Shengar

"DON'T TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALK!"

Lol dat hair, I know it gonna be awesome thing when shit hits
Usually the best culprit in AA have law (enforcement) background, which makes them could put resistance by hiding behind procedural, or meta-law things. AAI last case against Quercus Alba have similar thing too right?

Thursday is taking a really long time to get here. I'm soo excited. I'm considering speeding through an Apollo Justice playthrough to help pass the time.

Shengar

Alright... Do tell.

Actually, you can since I believe that AA is one of the rarer game series which each games can stand on its own merit (except for Trial and Tribulation, the conclusion that needs so many prior knowledge of first two games). You can play Apollo Justice then play the trilogy later. The only problem I can think of if you play this as your first AA game is that you'll get hard time getting used to the old sprite graphic that older AA title employed, namely the original trilogy that quite low in their quality.

Frolow

Banned
Lol dat hair, I know it gonna be awesome thing when shit hits
Usually the best culprit in AA have law (enforcement) background, which makes them could put resistance by hiding behind procedural, or meta-law things. AAI last case against Quercus Alba have similar thing too right?

Oh God, Alba. "EXTRATERRITORIAL RIGHTS! EXTRATERRITORIAL RIGHTS! EXTRATERRITORIAL RIGHTS!"

L~A

Sammy Samusu already done it lol, just after I do
Here's my work
05jo5Hu.jpg

Ah, damn, sorry, didn't see your post until then. Thanks anyway!

This series heavily relies on its story, which is linear across its games. Playing the fifth game in the main series is not recommended, as a result, though it's manageable.
Heavily... no. While it's true there's some important connection between games, they're hardly vital to the overall understanding. I agree it's much better to actually know that stuff before playing AA5!

I'll be the odd man out here: I think AA5 is actually a perfect starting point. It doesn't really spoil anything from previous games, and the story is totally self-contained. And it does a good job of cutting down all the little annoyances that the others had.

While I see where you're coming at, I have to disagree. I probably wouldn't if the DS version hadn't aged well or anything, but that's not the case. Sure, you CAN start with AA5, but all the others games really deserve to be played. Sure, it's no big deal if you do AA5 first, then the rest, but honestly, if you're gonna play them all, might as well start with the 1st game.

CorvoSol

So I've been playing Apollo Justice and while I dunno if the Phoenix in that game is entirely consistent with the Nick of the past, he's still definitely awesome. In the start of the first case Kristoph Gavin refers to the case as a "game of hands". Phoenix laughs, smirks, and agrees that "hands" are very important.
Phoenix is referring to the skull on Kristoph's hand.
Also the painting from the opening cutscene is
signed by Drew Misham

FluxWaveZ

Heavily... no. While it's true there's some important connection between games, they're hardly vital to the overall understanding. I agree it's much better to actually know that stuff before playing AA5!

That's why I said it's manageable. Because of the significant amount of callbacks, references and cameos, however, I maintain that it's still heavily reliant on its narrative despite knowledge of previous games often not being crucial for later ones.

Necrovex

Are the connections to the prior games similar to the connections from 999 to VLR?

I am super pumped for Thursday. Only a few more days! Also, can anyone find a clever way to insert the attorney badge into my avatar?

VegiHam

You'll recall I've already played and finished AA5. I might not be so hasty to call it a badge of shame.

So, without spoilers, does that mean Apollo gets to be awesome in this game? Cus I honestly don't think I can handle becoming more hyped...

pariah164

Bull, if you were truly on her team you'd be fine with how she turned out!
Nope.

My whole problem with AJ is that they took all my favorite characters and either gave them the shittiest hand possible or discarded them entirely. It was like a slap in the face, like the game was trying to force you to like all the new characters. Trucy is the worst
(I don't care if she's Nick's daughter)
, Apollo is annoying, and the game as a while was just... Ugh.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Nope.

My whole problem with AJ is that they took all my favorite characters and either gave them the shittiest hand possible or discarded them entirely. It was like a slap in the face, like the game was trying to force you to like all the new characters. Trucy is the worst
(I don't care if she's Nick's daughter)
, Apollo is annoying, and the game as a while was just... Ugh.

Yet it's still canon and all leads into AA5.

ani-daian-stroke.gif

No! I missed out on all the avatar goodness. ;__;

Well, can I reserve one for when the game comes out? I'd really like one for (slight spoilers)
Edgeworth

Top Bottom