• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Shengar

No, Klavier's still definitely pompous and an asshole, what with his constant need to bring up his band, his money, his women,and his music. Not to mention he air guitars in court and punches the wall for no damn reason all the time. He's missing the teeth that Edgeworth, Von Karma, Franziska and Godot had, but isn't funny like Winston. Klavier's just Edgeworth if you watered down all the things that Edgeworth has and threw in the most awful song the player must endure repeatedly.

It says a lot that in eleven notes Dick Gumshoe wrote a better song for the Blue Badger than Klavier Gavin did his ego-named band.

I could only agree on the air guitar as the thing that irritates me about him, since hitting the wall similar to other proesecutor court room habit like Edgeworth hit the desk (normal), Franziska whipping (irritating), or Godot with his cup of coffe (awesome). But his ego, well that's the point of his character. The similarties of Gavin Brother not just from their look, but their huge-ass ego as well.
As Kristoph Gavin prepared a forged evidence so he couldn't lose to his brother, and ruined the life of a man that replace him as the client attorney.

Sorian

Banned
Am I the only one that was neutral towards the air guitar? Thought it was funny the first couple times and just tuned it out after that.

He's still an asshole. He's just a friendlier one. His annoying courtroom habits and tendency to help Apollo when the player doesn't need his help make him the Ace Attorney Equivalent of Navi, though.

He isn't horrible, he's just trying to fill the shoes of giants and failing. People give Apollo flak all the time, but honestly, Klavier was the weak link in the game, not Apollo. He's just below the series standard.

Which, I mean, isn't an easy standard to measure up to. How was some doofy rock star going to measure up to the likes of Edgeworth and Godot?

Franziska is the series' weakest as far as entertainment value goes. She practically has a one-word vocabulary, making it seem like she has Tourettes half the time.

As much as I like him, Godot was pretty incompetent too. He never felt like a threat when compared to Edgeworth or OG Von Karma.

I thought Klavier helping Apollo was a really cool moment, but it was a really cool moment that should have come at the game's climax and not had stuff immediately afterward that doesn't jive with everything that just happened.

Shengar

Franziska is the series' weakest as far as entertainment value goes. She practically has a one-word vocabulary, making it seem like she has Tourettes half the time.

As much as I like him, Godot was pretty incompetent too. He never felt like a threat when compared to Edgeworth or OG Von Karma.

Godot is incompetent because he challenge Phoenix personally as person, not as attorney or to get guilty verdict like Edgeworth or both Von Karmas. If I have to pick from prosecuting competence, Manfred is the best, no question. His constant objection that prevents you from squeezing information out of the witness make his pressence in the court really big.
Too bad he only appeared once.

Godot is incompetent because he challenge Phoenix personally as person, not as attorney or to get guilty verdict like Edgeworth or both Von Karmas. If I have to pick from prosecuting competence, Manfred is the best, no question. His constant objection that prevents you from squeezing information out of the witness make his pressence in the court really big.
Too bad he only appeared once.

Yeah, that's true but it was kind of a drag after having every other prosecutor getting in Nick's *** 24/7 trying to take him down. As the player, Von Karma set you straight in an instant. It was against him that you start second guessing spamming the press button just because it's available.

BlackJace

Edgeworth was supposed to be your most difficult opponent, he's technically your rival, after all. While Franziska and Godot weren't as sharp as Edgeworth, I wouldn't use the word incompetent.

Godot had a huge story reason for not being sharp, while Franziska's actions were there to provide a comedic look into a girl trying to act all tough, (end of AA2 spoilers, I guess?)
even though her crying to Edgeworth shows that it's mostly a facade.

Cody_D165

Banned
Yeah, that's true but it was kind of a drag after having every other prosecutor getting in Nick's *** 24/7 trying to take him down. As the player, Von Karma set you straight in an instant. It was against him that you start second guessing spamming the press button just because it's available.

This is one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to Blackquill. I'm hoping he's on Von Karma's level.

The fact that he has his own voiced interjection of "Silence!" really makes me anxious to go up against him.

L00P

I swear if Klavier still calls Apollo "herr forehead" in the entire fucking game I'll never mention his name ever again and call him herr asswipe whenever I talk about him.

I didn't like Godot that much either because of that awful nickname he gave phoenix. Name-calling is fine in small doses but he only uttered Phoenix's name at, like, the very end of that game. Why can't they just be like Franziska and recite their full name all the time???

I swear if Klavier still calls Apollo "herr forehead" in the entire fucking game I'll never mention his name ever again and call him herr asswipe whenever I talk about him.

I didn't like Godot that much either because of that awful nickname he gave phoenix. Name-calling is fine in small doses but he only uttered Phoenix's name at, like, the very end of that game. Why can't they just be like Franziska and recite their full name all the time???

Because nobody does that in real life.

Shengar

No Franny bashing here, hottest girl in the entire series.

bubble-objection.gif

"there's clearly a faulty in the witness statement, your honor, and here's the evidence to prove that!"

3SlnlT3.gif

EDIT: fixed the image

Beezy

I played all the main games in this series except Apollo Justice. Will I be missing much in AA5 because I skipped the previous game?

Sorian

Banned
bubble-objection.gif

"there's clearly a faulty in the witness statement, your honor, and here's the evidence to prove that!"

3SlnlT3.gif

I was expecting for someone to counter with Ron DeLite's wife (can't remember her name now) but I'm sorry, what you've presented just isn't a viable answer.

"TAKE THAT!"
"Wrong, Mr. Wright."
"But I haven't said anything yet...?"
"I know you well enough by now to know when you're going to present the wrong evidence."

Frolow

Banned
I played all the main games in this series except Apollo Justice. Will I be missing much in AA5 because I skipped the previous game?

Out of all the games, Apollo Justice is the one that has the most connections between AA5. I'd play through it or at least read a plot summery if you're strapped for time.

Kazerei

Banned
My favorite lady is Lana Skye. Her design might be simpler than most, but it's like she has a natural beauty. Plus I have a weakness for military uniforms.

cf7Qt86.gif

Are you saying the first case in AA1-AA3 (and first examination in AAI1) weren't trivial?

im going to be honest, i got confused at one part in case one in aa3 hehe

but the games were never that easy to the point where it basically gives you the answer to the cross examination

bubble-objection.gif

3SlnlT3.gif

bubble-objection.gif

Your honor, I'd like to direct your attention to the perfect use of a short skirt and heels without looking trampy.

Franz.png

You foolish foolhardy fool.

Sorian

Banned
im going to be honest, i got confused at one part in case one in aa3 hehe

but the games were never that easy to the point where it basically gives you the answer to the cross examination

I can't think of specific examples but there have definitely been times in the series where pressing something has gotten an internal monlogue from phoenix saying "something doesn't sound right here" or "no, that's not right." I have strong faith that all of the final cross-examinations will still be hard mode caliber and there will be some weird jumps in logic in several spots that make you say "duh" later but seemed so crazy when you were suggesting it.

bubble-objection.gif

Your honor, of like to direct your attention to the perfect use of a short skirt and heels without looking trampy.

http://www.toastersix.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Franz.png[/mg]

You foolish foolhardy fool.[/QUOTE]

Goddamn, all day [spoiler]and night[/spoiler]

I can't think of specific examples but there have definitely been times in the series where pressing something has gotten an internal monlogue from phoenix saying "something doesn't sound right here" or "no, that's not right." I have strong faith that all of the final cross-examinations will still be hard mode caliber and there will be some weird jumps in logic in several spots that make you say "duh" later but seemed so crazy when you were suggesting it.

Goddamn, all day
and night

The weirdest cross-examine I remember happens in case 3 of AA1. There's one case where you have to press the witness on his first statement, and then on his 3rd statement in that order. To my knowledge, the game doesn't indicate in any way that's what you needed to do. I remember because it wasn't my first playthrough, but I still had to look it up.

Sorian

Banned
The weirdest cross-examine I remember happens in case 3 of AA1. There's one case where you have to press the witness on his first statement, and then on his 3rd statement in that order. To my knowledge, the game doesn't indicate in any way that's what you needed to do. I remember because it wasn't my first playthrough, but I still had to look it up.

They pulled similar tricks in AA2 and AA3 (probably in AJ as well). I know there was a specific time where they made you do the presses out of order (Press statement 4 then 2, for example) just to weed out the people that purposely press everything without really paying attention.

yeah, the cross-examinations where pressing or presenting info on one statement changes the dialog on another statement's press always throw me off a ton. recently encountered one in AA4 and it took me a while to get it

i guess it makes sense contextually, but i'm just so accustomed to pressing each statement once and not touching them again that stuff like that always throws me for a loop

GSR

You know, people go on and on about needing to play all the other games to enjoy AA5. While that's certainly the best option, and I'd say definitely play AJ if that's the only one you're missing, I think I should probably say that even though this is by the AAI team it's nowhere near that level of cameo-mania. Your enjoyment of a case is not going to hinge on knowing some minor witness from one game.

Like, playing all games is ideal. Playing just Apollo is probably fine. Playing 1-3 but not Apollo'll probably leave you a bit disoriented. Playing none of them, well, you lose out on the references/returning characters, but I think AA5 still works as a jumping-on point in a lot of ways.

They pulled similar tricks in AA2 and AA3 (probably in AJ as well). I know there was a specific time where they made you do the presses out of order (Press statement 4 then 2, for example) just to weed out the people that purposely press everything without really paying attention.

I press everything, but it's because I want to read every last bit of written dialogue, not because I'm lazy.

It's amazing how much "sexual" tension Wright and Edgeworth have in the original trilogy but in AA4 and AAI1 & AAI2 they can't even be bothered to remember there names.

Let's try to be a little less creepy, shall we?

So that Ace Attorney Investigations 2 game that never came out here... it seems like it's incredibly long. Case 2 is taking me more time than any case I can remember aside from 1-5 and 2-4. Combine that with the fact that it has 5 cases (and we all know how the last case of the original AAI), and you probably have the most lengthy game in the series. Yeah.

McNum

Anyone know when the EU eShop updates? I know it's still early morning on he 23rd here, so it won't be before some time tomorrow. Just kind of want to know when that some time is.

demidar

Let's try to be a little less creepy, shall we?

So that Ace Attorney Investigations 2 game that never came out here... it seems like it's incredibly long. Case 2 is taking me more time than any case I can remember aside from 1-5 and 2-4. Combine that with the fact that it has 5 cases (and we all know how the last case of the original AAI), and you probably have the most lengthy game in the series. Yeah.

At least we didn't get anything involving Maya, or god forbid Pearl.

Do NOT take that as a challenge.

CorvoSol

I'll agree with you because I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate since I'm not really rating Klavier above any of the other prosecutor's (except for the Payne family, hate those nuisances). Godot is kind of doofy though (T&T real spoiler)
gets poisoned by a little girl and goes on a vengence quest for a fairly flimsy reason

Godot was amazing. His role is tragic, not doofy. There's nothing doofy about a man
who is poisoned by the second most evil character in the series, goes into a coma, finds out that the woman he loves is dead, her killer is dead, and the man who killed her is dead/behind bars. His actions were arrogant, but it isn't the same arrogance that drives Gavin to bitch about his guitar being on fire.

I could only agree on the air guitar as the thing that irritates me about him, since hitting the wall similar to other proesecutor court room habit like Edgeworth hit the desk (normal), Franziska whipping (irritating), or Godot with his cup of coffe (awesome). But his ego, well that's the point of his character. The similarties of Gavin Brother not just from their look, but their huge-ass ego as well.
As Kristoph Gavin prepared a forged evidence so he couldn't lose to his brother, and ruined the life of a man that replace him as the client attorney.

Edgeworth slamming the desk is classic. Gavin punching the wall is stupid.

And Franzy's whipping is great. Especially with Gumshoe.

Franziska is amazing so no no and more no to that statement. AAI really lets her strut her stuff. And Godot incompetent? I can't even get my head around that. Unless we're talking his actions in the last case, which is arrogance and frustration, not incompetence. Godot is never incompetent. The guy is so in control Franziska fails to whip him.

Excuse me while I munch on my popcorn-flavored Snackoos.
9wifGyc.gif

Ema is great. If anyone had to fill Gummy's shoes, I'm glad it was her. She's definitely the unsung star of AA4's cast.

Top Bottom