• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

LNBL

just had something big spoiled kill me

Noooooooooooo.gif

I'm very excited for this game. I replayed the first three (and Edgy-poo's) but I just can't muster the effort to replay Apollo Justice. It's not a bad game per-say, but I'm just burned out. Maybe I'll read a plot summary for a refresher tonight instead.

Shengar

I'm very excited for this game. I replayed the first three (and Edgy-poo's) but I just can't muster the effort to replay Apollo Justice. It's not a bad game per-say, but I'm just burned out. Maybe I'll read a plot summary for a refresher tonight instead.

Pro Tip: Whenever you want to replay AA series, always go with AJ first, then the trilogy in order so you won't feel burned out. Because the end of the destionation is the excellence known as T&T instead of the flawed AJ.

@phoenix's disbarment (aa4 spoilers follow)

I feel like it's more appropriate when you consider the "how" rather than the "who". Phoenix is so accustomed to being able to pull "not gulity" verdicts out of his ass and "KNOWING THAT A MIRACLE WILL HAPPEN" that he's basically lost his sensibility. He accepted the diary page without a second thought, because that's just the kind of thing that usually happens to him that lets him pull out a victory. I don't think getting him to slip up was ever really all that difficult, just for whatever reason Kristoph figured out first that you can't take down Phoenix with a head-on approach, because he somehow always manages to do something crazy and turn things around (or he just made a lucky guess.) But yeah, it was kinda a lame way for him to go, and would've been more interesting if a more critical character had caused it.

Kyonashi

Man, I need to get into this series. Not sure I want to go through 4 games first...

It's highly recommended. I know the hype is surrounding the game that is coming out now, but it's so story-based you'd be really doing yourself a disservice. And it's not like the older games are outdated or anything, they still feel very fresh. I don't think many people in this thread wouldn't recommend you play 1-4 first.

Rhapsody

Banned
Just went through the demo for the first time. I thought someone in this thread said the case wasn't part of a case in the game? It seemed like it was. Oh well, the game's still fresh.

mdtauk

Just went through the demo for the first time. I thought someone in this thread said the case wasn't part of a case in the game? It seemed like it was. Oh well, the game's still fresh.

The case and characters are the same, but the dialogue and scenario was edited and shortened for the demo.

demidar

I think some of the dialogue is different. It's based on the first case but isn't a carbon copy.

So is this game suppose to come out in < 3 hours?

Frolow

Banned

It's based on Case 1, but the scenario in the demo isn't exactly how things happen in the game.

-GJ-

The demo only has very minor spoilers for the full case and some things are even different in the full game. The demo is just a showcase of some new stuff like the moods thing. You won't be playing the same exact part twice.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You will be happy you did afterwards

You make that sound like a bad thing.

It's highly recommended. I know the hype is surrounding the game that is coming out now, but it's so story-based you'd be really doing yourself a disservice. And it's not like the older games are outdated or anything, they still feel very fresh. I don't think many people in this thread wouldn't recommend you play 1-4 first.

lol, I wish I could experience these games for the first time again.

Well shit. Maybe I'll try to find them. 3DS XL plays DS games right?

mdtauk

Well shit. Maybe I'll try to find them. 3DS XL plays DS games right?
Yes. Yes it does! I just finished playing through the whole lot again myself. Finished Ace Attorney Investigations a few hours ago! May give the translated AAI2 cases a whirl also - especially if I have to wait till the afternoon for AA DD

CorvoSol

And why do you forget the freaking Matt Engarde?!

SPOILERS FOR LAST CASES IN AA1-3, SO BASICALLY ALL, PLUS A LITTLE FROM AA4

Because Matt Engarde is still not as evil as Manfred and Dahlia. He might be as evil as Zak and Kristoph, but Manfred murders Gregory Edgeworth, then raises his son, molds him into his own image, then tries to blame Gregory's death on him. He spent over a decade raising a child with the sole intention of destroying the child so he could get satisfaction for a slight by a man who he has already killed. Von Karma is the most evil man in the entire series. Everything Matt does is petty compared to that. Even hiring an assassin. And Dahlia was essentially a serial killer. She'd murdered two men and tried to kill two more. Then she came back from the dead as an evil spirit and tried to kill more people. She's only less evil than Manfred because Manfred RAISED A KID for the sake of his plan.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If you've got a Wii or Wii U you can save some money on 1-3 and play the actually pretty decent Wiiware ports of the first three games and then you'd only need a DS for Apollo Justice, which isn't that hard to find for a decent price.

Timeless

So the order in the OP is correct then? I may Amazon the games.
My guide is in release order. Yes, Capcom really released three spinoffs in a row between AA4 and AA5.

There are two sentiments in this thread:
NO FUN ALLOWED, MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY: Start with AA1 and play them in release order. Skip games that aren't out in English yet. I tell people to follow this philosophy.

Do what you want: Start with AA5 because it's not that big of a deal

If you've got a Wii or Wii U you can save some money on 1-3 and play the actually pretty decent Wiiware ports of the first three games and then you'd only need a DS for Apollo Justice, which isn't that hard to find for a decent price.
This is also mentioned in the guide I made.

mdtauk

SPOILERS FOR LAST CASES IN AA1-3, SO BASICALLY ALL, PLUS A LITTLE FROM AA4

Because Matt Engarde is still not as evil as Manfred and Dahlia. He might be as evil as Zak and Kristoph, but Manfred murders Gregory Edgeworth, then raises his son, molds him into his own image, then tries to blame Gregory's death on him. He spent over a decade raising a child with the sole intention of destroying the child so he could get satisfaction for a slight by a man who he has already killed. Von Karma is the most evil man in the entire series. Everything Matt does is petty compared to that. Even hiring an assassin. And Dahlia was essentially a serial killer. She'd murdered two men and tried to kill two more. Then she came back from the dead as an evil spirit and tried to kill more people. She's only less evil than Manfred because Manfred RAISED A KID for the sake of his plan.

I think what still makes Matt Engarde a good final case villain to stand beside Manfred and Dahlia/Morgan is the fact he takes Maya hostage, and you are left to look after Pearl. It is both the audacity of what he did, the fact that one wrong move could result in Maya's death, and how brazen he is in court.

He may not have done as much evil as the others, but because he did it to Maya, its more personal. Phoenix has to face upholding the law in court, and risk losing his friend.

Dahlia can not be beaten, and was a great way to round out the Trilogy. And as much as Manfred was a bad guy, it was Edgeworth who suffered the most at his hand.

The first three games are really the story of the Feys and their family. Phoenix's development comes from his involvement with them, and it isn't until AA3 and AA4 that Phoenix gets his own stories.

Zento_

Neo Member
New Zealander here, not available yet but funny since it's the 24th and the shop says 24th release...just gonna check each hour I guess.

Fey

Banned
Gonna be so hard to hold this off until December.

Probably going to stop coming to the Gaming side just so I can't see this topic and cry. Can't believe it's out in just a few hours. D:

So it's AA, JFA, T&T, and AJ in that order? Then the new game?

No gamefly, and no Wii U, so I guess it's to Amazon!

I know everyone will hate me for saying this but... You will pay approximately 70 bucks to buy all four necessary games. I know the iOS port isn't a very good version, but for story purposes it will suffice. It does exclude AJ, which will need bought separately, but it is only 15 dollars. Just throwing some options out there.

just had something big spoiled kill me
lol I also got spoiled of a killer's identity (I presume) by watching a music video for Ace Attorney Investigations 2 :(
I looked at the thumbnails on the right side to look for more music videos and some idiot thought it would be alright to place a killer's identity as a preview for his AA5 breakdown video. I assume that only the killers have a breakdown... if who I saw is true, I already know the killer for Turnabout Academy.

GSR

lol I also got spoiled of a killer's identity (I presume) by watching a music video for Ace Attorney Investigations 2 :(
I looked at the thumbnails on the right side to look for more music videos and some idiot thought it would be alright to place a killer's identity as a preview for his AA5 breakdown video. I assume that only the killers have a breakdown... if who I saw is true, I already know the killer for Turnabout Academy.

It's always rustled my jimmies that when I recorded case one, marked it as having spoilers, and noted in the description that I wouldn't record later cases, Capcom hit me with a copyright claim, and yet the various "AA5 BREAKDOWN/<insert other major spoiler>" videos with spoilers in the thumbnails (and often titles) are still up.

It's just frustrating that the stuff designed mostly to spoil stays up while actual gameplay footage gets taken down.

Top Bottom