• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Was going to finally dig into the series, but Nintendo for some reason isn't selling the other games on the eShop? Is it alright to just jump in on this one, or should I track down the other physical releases?

I'd definitely recommend playing the other games, personally, since it's a very story-driven series. It's probably possible to enjoy a random entry out of order, but you'd be missing out I think. Plus, they're all worth playing so... :D

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Spoiler thread is up. It's probably going to be pretty low-traffic the next few days, but adding it to the OP might not be a bad idea.
Hahaha, surprised to see my suggestion got chosen. A shame I won't be able to visit the thread for quite some time most likely, considering I don't really have the cash at the moment unless I win a code.

This is not voiced, correct?
There's some anime cutscenes that have voices. They got the guy who voiced PW in UMvC3 to return, but otherwise, outside of those cutscenes, it's not voiced from what I recall.

CorvoSol

I think what still makes Matt Engarde a good final case villain to stand beside Manfred and Dahlia/Morgan is the fact he takes Maya hostage, and you are left to look after Pearl. It is both the audacity of what he did, the fact that one wrong move could result in Maya's death, and how brazen he is in court.

He may not have done as much evil as the others, but because he did it to Maya, its more personal. Phoenix has to face upholding the law in court, and risk losing his friend.

Dahlia can not be beaten, and was a great way to round out the Trilogy. And as much as Manfred was a bad guy, it was Edgeworth who suffered the most at his hand.

The first three games are really the story of the Feys and their family. Phoenix's development comes from his involvement with them, and it isn't until AA3 and AA4 that Phoenix gets his own stories.

Well it isn't that I don't think that
Matt was a great villain and excellent end to the game
, just that, compared to
Manfred and Dahlia
this person is not as evil.

Some scraped designs for AA vs Layton game: http://tinycartridge.com/post/43517254083/dark-layton-dark-phoenix-wright-and

Dark Phoenix lol.

So many puns to make here. I mean Dark Phoenix Wrightsing, Xin Eohp, or the fact that he looks like Demitri Maximoff in a W101 mask?

Fair point,
both Manfred and Dahlia are way beyond his league. Matt Engarde probably just below Damon Gant in term of evilness.

I'm sort of ambiguous on where I'd rank
Matt
in terms of evil.
Probably above all non-final villain characters but below all final villain characters except Morgan Fey, who I'm split on, because as evil as she was, she did seem to genuinely love Pearl, and she did have a lot of good reasons to be as cruel as she was.

ryushe

Blazing through the final case of AJ now... While I can understand the disdain for the game, I think it's a pretty good prelude to what I 'think' the story will be in AA5.

Should be finished with the case by 1am, so hopefully AA5 is a midnight release. If not, I guess I can slow down on this final case in AJ.

Um, how does one "refresh" the eShop listing? Can I just re-open the Ace Attorney entry and the buy option will appear? Or do I need to quit the eShop and return?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The review embargo ends at 3am eastern, midnight pacific. There's a non zero chance that this game goes up then.

I'm still betting on the standard noon eastern, 9am pacific launch though.

The review embargo ends at 3am eastern, midnight pacific. There's a non zero chance that this game goes up then.

I'm still betting on the standard noon eastern, 9am pacific launch though.

Yeah, they wouldn't release the game before the embargo is up, so it would be midnight pacific at the earliest. Still, it seems more likely that the game will be added with the normal eShop update (As you said, 9am Pacific).

GSR

NintenDomination put up half of case one on his YouTube if you want spoilers. My jimmies are so rustled they have entered low earth orbit. If you don't want spoilers, don't even watch "just a few minutes".

(I have an irrational dislike of this guy probably due in equal parts to his neckbeard and that time he played through PLvsAA case one and clearly guessed on every single question because he doesn't speak a lick of Japanese.)

Frolow

Banned
NintenDomination put up call of case one on his YouTube if you want spoilers. My jimmies are so rustled they have entered low earth orbit. If you don't want spoilers, don't even watch "just a few minutes".

(I have an irrational dislike of this guy probably due in equal parts to his neckbeard and that time he played through PLvsAA case one and clearly guessed on every single question because he doesn't speak a lick of Japanese.)

NintenDomination is pretty bad. Seeing him get banned from GAF was pretty fun though.

Anyway, looks like the midnight miracle never happen. Off to bed then!

PikaED

I just did some Goggle-ing, and apparently only Nintendo's game release on midnight. See you guys in 9-12, or so, hours!

(East Coast of the U.S., btw)

6:30 here in mainland Europe and still nothing.

I am disappoint. Guess I'll have to wait until tonight when I get back from work.

Oh the benefits of digital release!

Has Capcom reprinted the previous Ace Attorney games? They need either do that, release a non-butchered collection on 3DS, or just have some sort of a primer on the story at the beginning of the current game, cause it sounds like there's a barrier of entry here.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Has Capcom reprinted the previous Ace Attorney games? They need either do that, release a non-butchered collection on 3DS, or just have some sort of a primer on the story at the beginning of the current game, cause it sounds like there's a barrier of entry here.

The story in every game is more or less contained. You'll be fine with Dual Destinies as your first AA experience.

But, if you'd like to play the others, they have been reprinted.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
6:30 here in mainland Europe and still nothing.

I am disappoint. Guess I'll have to wait until tonight when I get back from work.

Oh the benefits of digital release!

Remember the time the physical release of AA 4 came out before AA3 in PAL land? The benefit of physical release!

Top Bottom