• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

moulels

1zvbaxe2.gif

Remember the time the physical release of AA 4 came out before AA3 in PAL land? The benefit of physical release!

Indeed. Good times. (already had AA3 imported by then because that was a thing you could do. Now that I can read basic Japanese I would have imported AA5 but alas, region locking)

They're available on iOS and Wiiware. Not to mention the games seem to be dirt cheap on amazon. I might end up rebuying the 1st game since my cousin lost mine. It was the European version with swag case.

PW_AA_Europe_Cover.jpg

R.I.P

Nnnngh, it didn't come out while I was sleeping :/
Been a while since the last time I was this hyped for a new game.

rekameohs

Banned
They're available on iOS and Wiiware. Not to mention the games seem to be dirt cheap on amazon. I might end up rebuying the 1st game since my cousin lost mine. It was the European version with swag case.

iOS version sucks and there's something nice about the portability of the DS versions over WiiWare. It would be kind of nice if they could package the original trilogy in one piece of software as they did on iOS, but since the whole series can be played right now on 3DS, they will likely not do anything.

Roto13

The first three Phoenix Wright games are on WiiWare and iOS.

For, you know, anyone's information.

You'd still have to track down a DS copy of Ace Attorney 4, as far as I know, though.

iOS version sucks and there's something nice about the portability of the DS versions over WiiWare. It would be kind of nice if they could package the original trilogy in one piece of software as they did on iOS, but since the whole series can be played right now on 3DS, they will likely not do anything.

Is it really that bad? According to the game chart posted throughout the thread it seemed like it was slightly marginalized at the worst.

PikaED

iOS version sucks and there's something nice about the portability of the DS versions over WiiWare. It would be kind of nice if they could package the original trilogy in one piece of software, but since the whole series can be played right now on 3DS, they will likely not do anything.
The Wiiware versions of the original trilogy are certainly serviceable if you can't get the original cartridges (at least I thought so, anyways).

And I agree about the iOS port being less than steller (the redrawn graphics look iffy, the text looks/scrolls strongly, and several of the music tracks are missing)
Still haven't beat Trials and Tribulations and Haven't Played Apollo Justice
Is it really that bad? According to the game chart posted throughout the thread it seemed like it was slightly marginalized at the worst.
You still could, but having played the HD iOS port. I would recommend any other version in their place (the iOS version lost some of it's charm).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Posted a few times in the thread:

I can't recommend the iOS version to anyone. It's simply too much of a downgrade from the DS releases. The only improvements are the visuals and pricing, but other than that it's worse in about everything else.

-Missing animation frames (no blinking, sometimes people don't open their mouths when talking or are missing one of their talking frames, etc.).
-Sometimes a character does the wrong animation entirely.
-GBA-quality soundtrack for the 2nd & 3rd games (this should be a dealbreaker to you; you must hear the amazing soundtrack this series offers in the best quality possible).
-Pearl's theme is gone.
-More typos.
-Overall performance is worse. Some parts lag for no particular reason.
-Worse presentation, such as the user interface popping in and out every time someone talks.
-Sound effects are off. The "not guilty" cheer is cut-off halfway through, for example.

I wholly recommend getting the DS versions of the games instead, unless money is a real issue for you.

And his follow-up post in this thread on those issues:

Oh, I have a whole batch of new complaints now that I'm almost done. ;)

I'll hopefully finish it up by the time AA5 gets released.

-GBA-quality soundtrack for the 2nd & 3rd games (this should be a dealbreaker to you; you must hear the amazing soundtrack this series offers in the best quality possible).
-Pearl's theme is gone.
Well sh*t.

I knew the soundtrack was in lower quality but they completely omitted Pearly's theme? Jeez, starting to regret my purchase.

CorvoSol

So AA4 Last Case Spoilers
Right before Phoenix uses the forged page, Klavier warns him against it. Klavier knew Phoenix had a forged page. Klavier was in fact in on Kristoph's plan, and so Klavier has escaped punishment. Ergo the annoying prosecutor is again the villain.

Apparently they used the "Congratulations Everybody" track in place of Pearl's track.

Ugh, that doesn't even almost fit Pearl. They could have gone with Maya's theme and it would have been passable. Man that sucks. I was just about to finish the first one and thought it was decent, sad to see it goes downhill from here.

rekameohs

Banned
So AA4 Last Case Spoilers
Right before Phoenix uses the forged page, Klavier warns him against it. Klavier knew Phoenix had a forged page. Klavier was in fact in on Kristoph's plan, and so Klavier has escaped punishment. Ergo the annoying prosecutor is again the villain.

Klavier did indeed know that the page was forged, but he thought that Phoenix himself was the forger, which is why he wanted him punished. He trusted his brother - the real culprit - over Phoenix

CorvoSol

Klavier did indeed know that the page was forged, but he thought that Phoenix himself was the forger, which is why he wanted him punished. He trusted his brother - the real culprit - over Phoenix

On this note,
Klavier and the entire legal system convicted Phoenix of using forged evidence without ANY evidence. It is both ironic and infuriating. No wonder Phoenix gets a little squirrely after that. Also Klavier is a sack of crap of a prosecutor for letting Phoenix be convicted with no evidence. Franziska and Edgeworth would NEVER have let that slide.

dumbyugi

On this note,
Klavier and the entire legal system convicted Phoenix of using forged evidence without ANY evidence. It is both ironic and infuriating. No wonder Phoenix gets a little squirrely after that. Also Klavier is a sack of crap of a prosecutor for letting Phoenix be convicted with no evidence. Franziska and Edgeworth would NEVER have let that slide.

They had the dude who made the forgery testify that the diary page was one of his works. Also this is a court system where you are guilty until proven innocent. Phoenix had no evidence to prove that he didn't order the forgery so he was guilty as far as the courts were concerned. It fits in with the whole theme of Apollo Justice, that the court system is not good enough and needs to be reformed.

i've been tempted, but as i've previously bought from eShop, it'll screw me over if i ever want to do a system transfer (will have to choose one or the other)

That wasn't how it worked on the Wii. I bought some Turbografx Virtual Console games before they were available here by switching to the UK but otherwise kept my Wii set to Australia and they transferred over fine to my Wii U. In terms of 3DS stuff Petit Computer, which I had to switch to the UK to buy, shows up in the "Titles You've Downloaded" section even with the system set back to Australia (though I obviously can't actually view the information or redownload it while set that way since it's not on our store).

Switching between regions to buy stuff shouldn't be an issue when it comes to system transfers.

CorvoSol

They had the dude who made the forgery testify that the diary page was one of his works. Also this is a court system where you are guilty until proven innocent. Phoenix had no evidence to prove that he didn't order the forgery so he was guilty as far as the courts were concerned. It fits in with the whole theme of Apollo Justice, that the court system is not good enough and needs to be reformed.

No, they had no connection between Phoenix and the forgery, other than an anonymous, unprovable tip and his presenting it in Court. Misham only testifies to making the forgery and explicitly states he does not know who ordered it. Manfred Von Karma, in all of his slime, would never once have settled for that. There is no solid connection between Phoenix and the forgery. The previous case in this game makes a HUGE deal about decisive evidence being necessary, to the point where it requires a confession from Machi to equate. Decisive Evidence is always a recurring theme in this series. Hell, it's brought up several times in the first case of Apollo Justice. And Klavier lacked every last ounce of decisive evidence to tie Phoenix to the crime. He had no evidence, no witness, and an anonymous, unsubstantiatable tip. The system fails completely when it disbars Phoenix. Klavier has nothing to tie him to it, and the Judge is absolutely unwilling to listen to Phoenix's side of the story.

And all of this has happened just WEEKS after Miles Edgeworth has brought down the entirely corrupt Prosecutorial Investigation Committee. Phoenix says a miracle happened in the court that day, and he's right: It's nothing short of miraculous that everyone in the system, the Judge especially, could be so stupid and corrupt that they would disbar Phoenix. Hell, this is the Judge who is FAMOUS for handing down just verdicts. And what does he do? Not even bother to hear Phoenix out. The man has seen Phoenix bring down the Chief of Police, Manfred von Karma, Godot, and foil assassins and mass murderers and he won't HEAR his side of the story?

Like I said, it is no wonder Nick gets a little nutty after that.

SlickVic

Pearl's theme is gone in the iOS versions? Why?

It's hard to say. I assume most of these were issues with the Japanese iOS release as well, though it's kinda funny to see there was over a year delay between the Japanese and English versions, and it doesn't seem Capcom did much of anything in terms of localization during that time (never mind these games have been translated for years).

I remember reading that they rushed the English version to the App Store before Apple started requiring all new apps to have iPhone 5 support. It's hard to tell if Capcom did have some plans of fixing these issues, but just decided it wasn't worth it if they also had to add support for the iPhone 5 screen, so they just released whatever was finished at the time.

Bah I'm on the last case in Apollo Justice so I could finish it before I head to sleep. However, I wanted to play AAI before playing through AA - DD. I also want to check out the Youtube translations of AAI2.

I might start playing Dual Destinies this weekend instead of 12pm EST tomorrow. =[

Top Bottom