• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

They should have really released this NOT around pokemon. You may not think they're the same fanbase, but i'd say there's likely a huge overlap, and if people can only choose one, they're not going to choose AA5
I'm broke and could only choose one game this month.

I chose this.

Downloaded!!!

Not sure if I should be proud to have bought Ace Attorney 5 or ashamed to have bought a 25€ eShop game :-(

You didn't buy 25€ eShop game, you bought a 25€ retail game that's only available on the eShop in the west because Lost Planet 3 is somehow more important to Capcom than Ace Attorney 5.

demidar

Ugh, I wish I can just click my fingers and make 1 hour and 40 minutes just fly by, not that I can get much playing today since I got stuff to do tomorrow.

Yeah, releasing around Pokemon was not a good idea, but it would get buried next month and it was probably not ready last month, so there wasn't much they could do.

MechaX

It's so good that this game is coming out after just becoming a lawyer, especially since the AA series in part motivated me to going to law school in the first place.

Although, now the older games in the series are now funny in a "these prosecutors would be fired by the end of the trial for litigating this poorly" kind of sense too.

It's so good that this game is coming out after just becoming a lawyer, especially since the AA series in part motivated me to going to law school in the first place.

Hah, a friend of mine did it because of the same reason. Just so he can one day confuse the whole court room by pointing his finger at the witness and yelling "OBJECTION!".

Video games are serious business. :D

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
To the lucky already playing it:

Dlc is up or something? Any info?

Just checked for you. To access the DLC you must first start a new game, then save and return to the title screen where there is an extras and DLC menu. The DLC is up already as well. I'll post a pic in a second.

Edit:
5LirB7N.jpg

It's free

Just checked for you. To access the DLC you must first start a new game, then save and return to the title screen where there is an extras and DLC menu. The DLC is up already as well. I'll post a pic in a second.

Edit:

It's free

Thanks!!! For now there is only the DLC costume?? The extra DLC chapter is not up yet?

R0ckman

Yeah, releasing around Pokemon was not a good idea, but it would get buried next month and it was probably not ready last month, so there wasn't much they could do.

Yeah they have no choice. Hopefully the pick up some of the fans like me who played through Pokemon only to get to the end of the game and realize theres nothing but a competitive setup factory post game. My wife is DLing this as well and she also boxed Pokemon.

I think no post game or trainer rebattling will hurt the game more than people realize but I guess once Nintendo has the money it doesn't matter.

Anyway...Can't wait for this one! DLing at my lunch break!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
too linear
too much time in a courtroom
too many lawyers
7/10

"In the end Ace Attorney 5 baffles with its archaic design philosophy. Each chapter leaves the player lost without a clear indication as to the identity of the guilty party. Hours of investigation are required to ferret out clues hidden in the environment. In the courtroom scenes, witnesses are perversely reluctant to provide critical information. It's 2013 and games have learned to respect the player's time. We're better than this."

Nyoro SF

Holy fuck, what was up with that flashback in the first case?

Shit was hella unnerving.

Yeah when I played it when it first came out that was like uh I'm here doing a typical case in a normal court when suddenly
POST TRAUMATIC STRESS FLASHBACKS AND BLOOD. BLOOD EVERYWHERE

I'm like wtf was the trigger for THAT?

ryushe

And in the "Nick" of time was, I've just completed AA4 for the first time.

There's a lot to say about this AA. Some bad (Magic Panties... ugh), but most good. I'll maybe post how I feel about the overall game at later date when I've digested everything, but there is one thing -- well, phrase, I'd like to discuss, which is:

"Evidence is Everything."

The central theme in this foray into the Ace Attorney world. One that, considering why certain events even transpired throughout the series in the first place, is all but incredible, ironic and infuriating, a theme that I grew to greatly adore and a theme that puts this series at even greater heights than I ever imagined it could ever reach.

OK. I'll be honest. As a standalone game, AA4 wouldn't be ranked well with the rest of the series. Its main character, Apollo, is kind of just there. Unfunny, un-sarcastic, and honestly just kind of uninteresting. The new 'Perceive' system, while interesting, isn't fleshed out as greatly as it would've been given its potential, and pretty much all the supporting characters (save for
"The Gavins" and Lamiroir
...) weren't that great... but, if you don't look at this game as a standalone title, but as an important entry in this series as a whole -- a prelude to the events that would (and most likely will) shape the events of the series going forward -- I can't help but love this flawed gem of a game, especially the phenomenal last case. I won't go into details, but the last trial in this game not only ranks with the best in the series, but honestly, might just be the best of the entire bunch, IMHO.

The defense is now ready. The Case File of Ace Attorney 5 soon to be presented!

Edit:
Obligatory ranking

AA1 = AA3, AA4 = AA2...

And that's ONLY because AA2's last case was that good. If not for that, I'd put AA4 in front of it.

MechaX

You poor soul. Everybody I know who went to law school either can't find a job and is hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt or dropped out after a few months due to hard difficult it was.

There's a lot of discussion about this, especially these days, but it really depends on where you went to law school (ranking-wise), who you know, how much of a scholarship v. how much you're actually paying, how well you did in school, what you did each summer, etc, etc. Any permutation of those factors can lead a graduate to a wide range of "lol $100k salary at big law firm fresh out of graduation" to apocalyptic "lol went to shit law school and is now Starbucks barista" scenarios.

The first year always sucks though, because it's kinda the academic version of a Sorority/Fraternity hazing the shit out of initiates.

Hah, a friend of mine did it because of the same reason. Just so he can one day confuse the whole court room by pointing his finger at the witness and yelling "OBJECTION!".

Video games are serious business. :D

I was disappointed that there is very seldom of a reason to actually point at someone at a court, let alone opposing counsel. With that said, at least you can slam your hands on your desk before doing so! Cross-examination can still be just as magnificent, however.

"In the end Ace Attorney 5 baffles with its archaic design philosophy. Each chapter leaves the player lost without a clear indication as to the identity of the guilty party. Hours of investigation are required to ferret out clues hidden in the environment. In the courtroom scenes, witnesses are perversely reluctant to provide critical information. It's 2013 and games have learned to respect the player's time. We're better than this."

Like a true game journalist :')

Artemisia

Banned
Case 1 mid save point.
Lovely so far!

I'm glad that you cannot skip the text like in the demo.

Oh thank god. I thought that was going to be in the final version. Skipping text by accident is the worst.

Although it's not going to be a problem in this game since you have access to a script log.

Javier

Stupid last minute business dinner tonight ruined my plans of playing this while having instant noodles for dinner. I'll also have to wait longer before I can start playing.

Young Magus

Well I have a dilemma,

I'm trying to complete the last two games (T&T and AJ) before I dive in to 5. I'm think of consulting a guide and speed-running it to save time. Should I look up a guide or is it better to go in blind for the trails. How did most of you get thought the latter two games, is there any parts that I need to look out for if I decide to go without a guide?

Mistle

Just squeezed in half an hour before bed...
Oh man, I've never seen a better transition from 2D sprites to 3D models. The animations are incredible also. And the writing/characters so far are as good as ever (and first cases are always typically the most bland at that!)
So pumped to get stuck into this game, Ace Attorney is one of those games that really leaves an impression. I still remember my initial plays of the original trilogy so strongly and how hooked I was...

Hasney

Well I have a dilemma,

I'm trying to complete the last two games (T&T and AJ) before I dive in to 5. I'm think of consulting a guide and speed-running it to save time. Should I look up a guide or is it better to go in blind for the trails. How did most of you get thought the latter two games, is there any parts that I need to look out for if I decide to go without a guide?

There's usually spoiler free guides over at GameFAQs which just tell you what to do without mentioning any story aspects. Grab one of those if you're in a hurry.

Mistle

Oh thank god. I thought that was going to be in the final version. Skipping text by accident is the worst.

Although it's not going to be a problem in this game since you have access to a script log.
Did the demo have like a fast forward?

You can press A to make text instant appear (personally I don't, I like the deliberate varying pacing)

Mistle

Well I have a dilemma,

T&T is such an amazing ending, I would never speed run it for the sake of AA5. Do it normally and enjoy it, it's worth it.

Shahadan

Most of Europe is de facto alienated by the language. I hope it sells enough.
I fear the days when I could often see girls playing AA1 or 2 on the train are over.

Top Bottom