• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Giolon

Just started the game. The animations in this are total quality. I can't believe how well they were able to capture the spirit of the old 2D animations, and then improve upon them b/c of the ability for more fluid actions and rotation in 3D. It's fantastic!

I also can't believe how nostalgic the main theme makes me feel. These games aren't even that old and they can already trigger the same kinds of feelings upon hearing it that the classics like Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger can.

I'm practically giddy that I've got a whole new Phoenix Wright adventure to go through!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Just started the game. The animations in this are total quality. I can't believe how well they were able to capture the spirit of the old 2D animations, and then improve upon them b/c of the ability for more fluid actions and rotation in 3D. It's fantastic!

I also can't believe how nostalgic the main theme makes me feel. These games aren't even that old and they can already trigger the same kinds of feelings upon hearing it that the classics like Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger can.

I'm practically giddy that I've got a whole new Phoenix Wright adventure to go through!

Not even that old? Just a reminder my friend that the first Ace Attorney was released in Japan in October 2001 and it was first released in the USA in October 2005. The franchise is 12 years old in Japan and it is 8 years old in America.

It is pretty old now :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Early going in case 2 but I am loving every second. First case was damn good all things considered, though maybe I'm just rusty but I actually had quite a few strikes against me. Seemed a lot harder than they usually are.

Oh, and this game had a DLC case, right? I got the free outfits but that was the only thing there. Not out yet here?

First case was great. The ending was pretty intense. Putting things together on
Arme being killed before the bomb went off
was mind blowing.

It's not as good as the first cases were for Investigations 2 or Trials and Tribulations (that one was more shocking, certainly), but it was still pretty high up there in the echelon of first cases.

Just got started on the second case.

So was this seriously the best game ever or something?

for FUCK'S sake capcom. :|

Hcoregamer00

I am halfway through case 2 in the Day 2 investigations and I must say that the only character that really really irritates the crap out of me is the dumbass detective. Does he eventually get likable since he is the weak link out of the otherwise stellar cast (so far).

CrazyDude

Early going in case 2 but I am loving every second. First case was damn good all things considered, though maybe I'm just rusty but I actually had quite a few strikes against me. Seemed a lot harder than they usually are.

Oh, and this game had a DLC case, right? I got the free outfits but that was the only thing there. Not out yet here?

So was this seriously the best game ever or something?

for FUCK'S sake capcom. :|

Yup, DLC has you defending an orca.

Giolon

Not even that old? Just a reminder my friend that the first Ace Attorney was released in Japan in October 2001 and it was first released in the USA in October 2005. The franchise is 12 years old in Japan and it is 8 years old in America.

It is pretty old now :p

I only played the game when it came out here, and compared to the classics, 8 years isn't all that long. That's only been a single (longer than average) console generation. But I'll cede your point that it's coming up on a decade for the states. I don't get nostalgic over Gears of War. :p

I am halfway through case 2 in the Day 2 investigations and I must say that the only character that really really irritates the crap out of me is the dumbass detective. Does he eventually get likable since he is the weak link out of the otherwise stellar cast (so far).

Is there a new dumbass detective that's not Gumshoe or have you not played these before?

Hcoregamer00

I
Is there a new dumbass detective that's not Gumshoe or have you not played these before?

I have played every single locally released AA game at least 10 times.

The problem not just that he is stupid, it is that he is unlikable on almost every level. Gumshoe is dumb but endearing, the new guy is the epitome of dumbass since he has no features that redeem him. Even his design sucks....

Hcoregamer00

Case 2 finished.

You're gonna have to pay me money to sit through that again.

What a horrible follow up to a great first case.

Yeah, like with all Ace Attorney games, there are issues with pacing.

Probably the closest game to "perfect" pacing was Ace Attorney 3, and even that had issues with pacing. One day they will get it right....one day......

Just finished case 1. I'm so happy to play a new localized Phoenix Wright.

5I3ZVtx.png

Coulda fooled me!

I haven't even touched the game and I already miss Ema, she had so much untapped potential.

Yeah, Ema was a good character, and it's disappointing we didn't get to see her continuing in that role. I think she would have worked really well in this game.

I've only just met the new detective, but I'm not really a fan so far. Too over the top.

Hcoregamer00

Yeah, Ema was a good character, and it's disappointing we didn't get to see her continuing in that role. I think she would have worked really well in this game.

I've only just met the new detective, but I'm not really a fan so far. Too over the top.

Nah, his character doesn't get any better. In fact I am finding him for irritating the more exposure I get to him. He literally is the worst characters so far in the game, even the "cologne man" is infinitely more likable.

Maybe Case 3-5 will give me characters that I will dislike more, but he takes the cake so far. It is irritating because from AA4 onwards, Ema had main roles and cameo roles, so they did us fans a huge disservice by replacing her with this dick.

Bring Ema back..... like NOW.

Case 2 is like a Steel Samurai case, but even worse

AA6's first case victim better be Fulbright

The case I hated the most was Case 3 in AA2, and I don't think that Case 2 in AA5 dips down to that level....yet

Shahadan

I enjoyed the steel samurai case, I don't see what was so bad about it.

I meant the premise. Two guys in costume, one evil, one being a hero of justice, japanese themed mumbo jumbo, yadda yadda. Stell Samurai was done better as it was a TV show and had the dorky aspect that was funny, here it's just boring all around for now, setting, plot and characters included, the creepy thief excluded.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Nah, his character doesn't get any better. In fact I am finding him for irritating the more exposure I get to him. He literally is the worst characters so far in the game, even the "cologne man" is infinitely more likable.

Maybe Case 3-5 will give me characters that I will dislike more, but he takes the cake so far. It is irritating because from AA4 onwards, Ema had main roles and cameo roles, so they did us fans a huge disservice by replacing her with this dick.

Bring Ema back..... like NOW.

The case I hated the most was Case 3 in AA3, and I don't think that Case 2 in AA5 dips down to that level....yet

You disliked that case more than the dreaded carnival? Damn.

Hcoregamer00

Don't remind of the carnival case, it completely turned me off to the rest of AA2.

Yeah, it is one of the rare cases that was so bad it drags down the whole game.

Everything about it doesn't work, the characters are so unlikable, the motive was not as convincing, and the pacing of the actual case was poor. This is coming from a person who ENJOYED THE CIRCUS SETTING, they just messed up everything else.

I liked the Carnival Case...

*forever alone*

pariah164
(Today, 10:20 PM)

CrazyDude

Yeah, it is one of the rare cases that was so bad it drags down the whole game.

Everything about it doesn't work, the characters are so unlikable, the motive was not as convincing, and the pacing of the actual case was poor. This is coming from a person who ENJOYED THE CIRCUS SETTING, they just messed up everything else.

It also doesn't help that the game has the worst cornered theme in the series.

2-3 (Circus) was the worst case in the series for me but 5-2 just gave it a run for its money

1-3 (Steel Samurai) was the worst in the first game but tolerable

Did they cut some of the more funny dialogue from the demo like when the judge talks about "Phoenix Wright's skill of bluffing his way through trials?"

I could've sworn I missed it here.

spiritfox

Just finished the first case. I think this is best first case in the series, especially the ending portion with the
fake bomb threat.
Capcom really managed to pull off bringing the series into 3D, everything looks gorgeous but still keeps the charm that the sprites had.

11. Why did you choose to download this game?
I couldn't find it at the store

Hah I ticked that too.

I hate the new detective too. None of the jokes surrounding him are even funny. He's just annoying.

I think he was the most popular new character on Japanese polls. I was rather ambivalent about him, but he at least he's a jolly fellow. Maybe the translation didn't do him JUSTIIIIIIIICE (Is that still his catchphrase here)?

Hcoregamer00

I think he was the most popular new character on Japanese polls. I was rather ambivalent about him, but he at least he's a jolly fellow. Maybe the translation didn't do him JUSTIIIIIIIICE (Is that still his catchphrase here)?

UGH, REALLY?

Something must be lost in translation since he is my most hated character.

Top Bottom