• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

dumbyugi

I'm up to day 2 of the 3rd case and man this game has been fantastic so far.
My verdict so far is:

+ The animations are fantastic, it was absolutely the right decision to make this game 3D.
+ The music, so far it's all been great.
+ The characters, I've liked every single one I've met so far.
+ The courtroom scences are more exciting thanks to good use of the camera.
- Not being able to investigate everywhere is a real bummer.
- It's a little on the easy side, though that may be because I'm used to the type of logic these games use.

I'm looking foward to continuing case 3 later, even if I think I already know who did it.

Mendrox

Bought a Nintendo 3DS XL two weeks ago. It has a 4GB SD Card.
Well I have my Pokemon Savegame on that card obviously, but I want to get a bigger card, for future DD games and Ace Attorney now.

... Can I just transfer everything with a Card Reader?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
- Not being able to investigate everywhere is a real bummer.
Yup I didn't know about this at all til I played case two yesterday, it is very disappointing. Lots of lost opportunity for off-topic exchanges which made investigation very gratifying. I hope they managed to implement the step ladder debate somewhere.

R.I.P

Yeah, but usually only on the first case and rarely on the ones afterwards. I'm hoping it stops being a thing on the 3rd case forward.

Only other example, aside from intro cases, that I can think of is 1-2. It's true that it takes away some of the excitement when they outright show you who the murderer is.

dumbyugi

Yup I didn't know about this at all til I played case two yesterday, it is very disappointing. Lots of lost opportunity for off-topic exchanges which made investigation very gratifying. I hope they managed to implement the step ladder debate somewhere.

Yeah I didn't know about it either. It's really the only thing I've found truly disappointing so far. Every other change they've made has been for the better.

OceanBlue

Completed the second case. I'm not sure why people are so down on it. I like that
for once the supernatural stuff actually was completely mundane and not supernatural at all. That thing at the end where Apollo had to piece together a lot of different evidence to make the final argument was pretty neat, too. I hope the rest of the cases do that, too.

Yeah, I saw that first in
Danganronpa (or at least something similar to it), so it was really weird seeing that mechanic at the end here. I think it fits the type of genre really well though, and the music was hype.
As for the second case in general, I thought it was pretty good. I always find cases where
a lot of what you're led to believe in the beginning is wrong entertaining, like with Rise to the Ashes.
I enjoyed the case at least.

I said I would beat this game in two days, but I still haven't finished the first case, lol!

Best opening case ever?

The writing in blood has been done before though. I cackled at "Mr. Wrigh" and "S. Doow". :lol

OceanBlue

Also there was a weird section in the second case where I checked the log and the names were there but none of the other text was. I should've taken a picture to be honest, but it was near the end. I think it was after
Apollo realizes the Fox's true identity.

Oh man, AAI2 is so freaking epic I can't even. I love how strongly it ties to past games, I think more so than any other game in the series.

It kills me that so many AA fans haven't gotten to experience it yet.

Omikaru

The lack of investigating everywhere really puts me off too. It's too bad, really. I used to love the jokey exchanges Phoenix would have with Maya, or Apollo with Trucy, and those are kind of missing in this game. Oh well. :(

Besides that, I'm having a great time! Just reached day 1 of court for case 2, and I'm really enjoying the game so far.

Javier

Bought a Nintendo 3DS XL two weeks ago. It has a 4GB SD Card.
Well I have my Pokemon Savegame on that card obviously, but I want to get a bigger card, for future DD games and Ace Attorney now.

... Can I just transfer everything with a Card Reader?
Copy everything from old SD Card to PC, then copy everything from PC to new SD Card. It's as easy as that.

miksar

I'm probably one of the few here who absolutely loved how Capcom got rid of all the boring investigation meddling outside the crime scene and of all the needless pixel hunting. Sure it had funny dialogue, but at times I struggled to pinpoint the correct trigger (part of the scene) to make investigation progress further. I just hope it will be much more difficult in later cases, then streamlining will definitely not bother me.

The opening case was brilliant, but it didn't top the first case from T&T. And the second case is something very traditional to the series (remember Steel Samurai?) and is something so silly I don't really enjoy it that much.

Mistle

Is there ever a true penalty for getting a guilty verdict? Restarting from where you left off, with full health, kind of makes it seem really pointless.

Not that I'm complaining, having to replay sections would be terrible. Just curious if perhaps you miss out on bonus content or something similar.

Am I really the only one that gets teary eyes while playing with 3D on? I actually like the 3D, the look nice, but damn my eyes can't take it.

Is there ever a true penalty for getting a guilty verdict? Restarting from where you left off, with full health, kind of makes it seem really pointless.

Not that I'm complaining, having to replay sections would be terrible. Just curious if perhaps you miss out on bonus content or something similar.

I kinda wish they would just get rid of the damn penalty system. One of the biggest flaws of this franchise for me has been its extreme linearity prevents much in the way of player agency, so even when you know the answer to a puzzle, you have to wait around until the game prompts you and Phoenix FINALLY catches on, and when that happens you might present the "wrong" evidence even if it seems totally valid. You have to play everything exactly by the script, when the script tells you to press the button to continue the scene.

And that's ok, because nobody plays PW for the gameplay. Its all a paper-thin excuse to read a dozen hours of wonderfully-written dialog and spend time with this cast of colorful characters, but their extremely linear mechanics always kept the games firmly in the "8/10" camp for me.

Leeness

Liking the game so far after case 1, but man, these anime cutscenes are awful. I know they're only a small part of the game, but I'm cringing whenever they pop up.

Apollo sounds like Shatner, horrible dramatic dialogue (doesn't seem quite so bad when read, is terrible when spoken), dramatic eye zooms everywhere.

Just awful.

Fireblend

Banned
Liking the game so far after case 1, but man, these anime cutscenes are awful. I know they're only a small part of the game, but I'm cringing whenever they pop up.

Apollo sounds like Shatner, horrible dramatic dialogue (doesn't seem quite so bad when read, is terrible when spoken), dramatic eye zooms everywhere.

Just awful.

Im not particularly bothered by them. The animation is ok, and although the voices don't really fit, at least they're not as bad as in Etrian Odyssey Untold. Ugh.

daydream

Banned
First case was very cool! I love how the animations translate to 3D.

I think Athena's great as a character, but they may have overdone it with her little Tamagotchi thing. Also, does she randomly throw out Spanish/German (Jetzt geht's los!") phrases or is that a bug? Bit of an arbitrary shtick if not, but ok.

Anyway, onto the second case!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That would seem rather expensive considering they would be full on remakes.

It would be way cheaper than a new game.

They already have the engine, they have the script (and the translations).

They could reuse the music.

So all that's left are menus, character models and backgrounds.

Sell it at 4.99$ per case as DLC for AAI5 and boom. I mean, milking the fanbase, isn't this what the japanese devs are all about these days?

flowsnake

First case was very cool! I love how the animations translate to 3D.

I think Athena's great as a character, but they may have overdone it with her little Tamagotchi thing. Also, does she randomly throw out Spanish/German (Jetzt geht's los!") phrases or is that a bug? Bit of an arbitrary shtick if not, but ok.

Anyway, onto the second case!

A bug when there's no Spanish or German translations in existence? :)

Edit: it occurs to me that you could have meant that "los" is Spanish? It's also a German word.

I'm already loving this more than any of the previous games.

Playing as Apollo in Case 2 feels like a proper sequel to AA4. So good.

The new detective character is great too.

OceanBlue

I like Athena's animations. They're really energetic and help endear me towards the character. Also in case 3
she has her own Cornered theme! The music just keeps getting better!

Javier

A bug when there's no Spanish or German translations in existence? :)

Edit: it occurs to me that you could have meant that "los" is Spanish? It's also a German word.
At one point Athena says "No hay problema!", which is Spanish for... well, I'm sure you can guess what it means.

It would be way cheaper than a new game.

They already have the engine, they have the script (and the translations).

They could reuse the music.

So all that's left are menus, character models and backgrounds.

Sell it at 4.99$ per case as DLC for AAI5 and boom. I mean, milking the fanbase, isn't this what the japanese devs are all about these days?

I would not object to that, although $4.99 per case seems to be a bit much.

Top Bottom