• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Fireblend

Banned
Damn. I haven't even started case 2 and I already want to replay the first one. Dat
creepy Athena flashback
, Phoenix's triumphal return, the whole way the case ends... I'm loving this too much.

whos waiting it out for text to bobble through, and whos skipping past with the b button? I kinda like the pacing of the text in AA games, but most apparently don't. I skip past the slow ass scene transitions though, and when its someone that talks especially slow.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
It's really bumming me out that Gumshoe might not show up in this game. Someone mind spoiling it for me if he shows up? He is one of my favorite AA characters. The whole game I'll just be wondering when he is going to finally rear his goofy head.

Fireblend

Banned
whos waiting it out for text to bobble through, and whos skipping past with the b button? I kinda like the pacing of the text in AA games, but most apparently don't. I skip past the slow ass scene transitions though, and when its someone that talks especially slow.

I wish you could sped it up like in the other games (unless my memory's betraying me and it's always been either wait/skip for the other games?)

Either way, I wish you could speed it up. I'm trying to wait but it seems like the "regular" speed most characters speak in is agonizingly slow.

I tried not to skip because I do like how the text speed moves and stops according to what the characters say, but the text speed was too slow, so...

I wish you could sped it up like in the other games (unless my memory's betraying me and it's always been either wait/skip for the other games?)

Either way, I wish you could speed it up.

wait what? You can speed it up in this game (press B instead of A). You couldn't in other games until after you beat it.

Fey

Banned
I'm so bad at this. ;___; Barely made it out of the first case. One more wrong answer and it woulda been game over for me.

It's really bumming me out that Gumshoe might not show up in this game. Someone mind spoiling it for me if he shows up? He is one of my favorite AA characters. The whole game I'll just be wondering when he is going to finally rear his goofy head.

[major spoilers]
No, he's not in this.

daydream

Banned
But that skips the text appearing altogether, it doesn't make the text appear "faster".

Nope, just let go of B before it skips to the next line. Really was a game changer for me when I tried it yesterday halfway through case 1, otherwise it's painfully slow.

Some of the puzzles did stump me early on. Even slight details can be a huge miss.

Loving it though. Love the animation. As good as Ghost Trick. Maybe even better because it's animating human emotion and personality whereas Ghost Trick animated just gestures and pantomiming.

BowieZ

Banned
So is this game good? especially for a newbie to the series -- I've played the demo, by the way.

(PS I'm not going out of my way to get any earlier games first.)

DaBoss

Just finished Case 1. That is really good for how Case 1 usually goes in the rest of the series AA4's is still the best though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
And this game's first on the current Italian eShop chart. Yep, it's outselling both Pokémon X and Y here. And it's an English-only game. Third in UK.

I'll continue the second case today, with my first investigation :D

so whos wearing the dlc outfits?

I think im going defaults for first playthrough at the very least.

There is just soo much swag about new phoenix outfit.

OceanBlue

I'm running default all the way through as well. I really like Athena's and Apollo's default outfits and I think Phoenix's new outfit fits his post-AA3 character better.

DukeBobby

Started this yesterday, but I only intended to play for about 10 minutes before going to bed; ended up playing it for over 4 hours.

Ah, it's good to have this series back again.

Liking the game so far after case 1, but man, these anime cutscenes are awful. I know they're only a small part of the game, but I'm cringing whenever they pop up.

Apollo sounds like Shatner, horrible dramatic dialogue (doesn't seem quite so bad when read, is terrible when spoken), dramatic eye zooms everywhere.

Just awful.

Yeah, I don't like them either. At least they're fairly short, though.

Frolow

Banned
Liking the game so far after case 1, but man, these anime cutscenes are awful. I know they're only a small part of the game, but I'm cringing whenever they pop up.

Apollo sounds like Shatner, horrible dramatic dialogue (doesn't seem quite so bad when read, is terrible when spoken), dramatic eye zooms everywhere.

Just awful.

I don't mind them, but I agree that Apollo sounds way off. He's supposed to be 23, he should sound way younger.

pariah164

It's really hard for me to not pick up this game and play more. I'm just afraid of getting through it too quickly. I want it to last.

I only do this for the typewriter thing. Timing can be important whenever a character speaks, so I avoid doing that for dialogue, at least on a first playthrough.

tuffy

Hearing Wendee Lee using her perky Haruhi Suzumiya voice for Athena in the cutscenes is a hoot. But for a game where so much of what the characters say is just text, their voices is my head tend to diverge from what they sound like during those scenes.

NotLiquid

Athena's regular outfit is too good to not have on. I feel the schoolgirl getup could have been better.

Phoenix's classic outfit has such a small difference that I don't even bother.

Apollo's outfit is the best. Seeing him in casual wear is awesome and I'm never turning it off. He looks handsome as fuck in that thing.

Shahadan

Blackquill is such a mix of previous prosecutors.... He says Ergo, "whips" the defense, talks about Fulbright's salary and has random anecdotes and sentences that make me think of godot's rules and coffee proverbs more than anything.

R.I.P

In the first trial day of case 2: I really like Blackquill so far, he's such a glorious bastard :D
Don't really get the hate for Fullbright. He's no Gumshoe for sure, but I really like his animations and his oblivious banter with Blackquill is pretty amusing.

pariah164

Athena's regular outfit is too good to not have on. I feel the schoolgirl getup could have been better.

Phoenix's classic outfit has such a small difference that I don't even bother.

Apollo's outfit is the best. Seeing him in casual wear is awesome and I'm never turning it off. He looks handsome as fuck in that thing.
This is exactly how I'm doing it. Apollo's casual outfit is amazeballs.

CrazyDude

Blackquill is such a mix of previous prosecutors.... He says Ergo, "whips" the defense, talks about Fulbright's salary and has random anecdotes and sentences that make me think of godot's rules and coffee proverbs more than anything.

Doesn't sound like a bad thing to me.

NotLiquid

How do people feel about Blackquill? Seems like he gets a kick out of starting shit lol.

I love how they take advantage of the fact that he's an inmate. Haven't seen a character contribute this much dark humor in the series since Case 3-3 and Viola.

He's definitely holding up as one of the best prosecutors the series has.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I like how the cursor actually marks things you've checked off in the investigation.

But yeah, only gripe I have so far is getting rid of the random exploring. Always had a lot of funny quips and convos and that first background in Nine Tails Vale is full of weird stuff to see.

CorvoSol

Wait so, CASE 2 MILD SPOILERS
Phoenix Wright is disbarred for presenting a piece of forged evidence which no one can prove he knew was forged or had wanted forged, in the most obvious of set ups in the entire world, but Simon Blackquill murders a man and is still a Prosecutor? Lololol. I guess they just figured that since so many Prosecutors have been accused of murder it wasn't grounds for losing your job. Like seriously, Edgeworth, Von Karma, Lana Skye, Godot, Jacques Portsman. So many Prosecutors accused of murder. Oh, and Franziska von Karma, though that was very, very short-lived.

Also I kind of hope that
Hobo Phoenix is an unlockable costume, what with it appearing for five seconds in-game.

I wish I could examine every area though. Like, how am I gonna get my dose of Charley if I don't examine him?

pariah164

Wait so, CASE 2 MILD SPOILERS
Phoenix Wright is disbarred for presenting a piece of forged evidence which no one can prove he knew was forged or had wanted forged, in the most obvious of set ups in the entire world, but Simon Blackquill murders a man and is still a Prosecutor? Lololol. I guess they just figured that since so many Prosecutors have been accused of murder it wasn't grounds for losing your job. Like seriously, Edgeworth, Von Karma, Lana Skye, Godot, Jacques Portsman. So many Prosecutors accused of murder. Oh, and Franziska von Karma, though that was very, very short-lived.
Well, the game keeps alluding to a "Dark Age of Law", so... I dunno.

Top Bottom