• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

NotLiquid

Wait so, CASE 2 MILD SPOILERS
Phoenix Wright is disbarred for presenting a piece of forged evidence which no one can prove he knew was forged or had wanted forged, in the most obvious of set ups in the entire world, but Simon Blackquill murders a man and is still a Prosecutor? Lololol. I guess they just figured that since so many Prosecutors have been accused of murder it wasn't grounds for losing your job. Like seriously, Edgeworth, Von Karma, Lana Skye, Godot, Jacques Portsman. So many Prosecutors accused of murder. Oh, and Franziska von Karma, though that was very, very short-lived.

This particular bias was already covered in Case 1-5 which
retcons Edgeworth's backstory into revealing that he has presented illegal evidence in the past, when that was the only case to establish connections with AA4 - a game where Wright gets disbarred for doing the exact same thing that Edgeworth did under the similar circumstances. Wright got his career crushed while Edgeworth got another "you got lucky this time" and just a bunch of negative murmurs. Blackquill being chosen as prosecutor at the Chief Prosecutor's request also highlights another thing 1-5 delved into, which is their influence in cases.

Rezek

Neo Member
Finished Case 2, and Apollo was great.
Especially when he started bringing the logic! That was a real nice change of pace. It's nice to see him actually solving the case without the prosecutor throwing him a bone.

Also, is it just me or is this game drawing a bunch of parallels with JFA? I mean,
5-1 and 2-1 both had a defense attorney getting knocked over the head and getting amnesia and the killer writing another person's name to deflect blame. 5-2 had a similar conundrum as 2-2 with the whole killer and victim alone in a small room with no obvious way out. It also introduces a prosecutor who likes physically abusing people. It's pretty neat, I think.

OceanBlue

I'm really enjoying Case 3. :)

Blackquill or whatever has been kinda boring throughout the game so far, but everyone else makes up for it.

CorvoSol

Well, the game keeps alluding to a "Dark Age of Law", so... I dunno.

Speaking of that,
I took it to mean the entire era of the Initial Trial System, but that can't be it because Simon Blackquill is only 28. When Phoenix makes the mistake of defending World-Class Douchebag Wizard Zak Gramarye, Simon would've been 20. Now, supposing we use "Europe" as an excuse, the youngest Simon could've been when he got his Prosecutor's Badge would've been somewhere between 14-16, because Franziska was a genius with hilarious connections when she got hers, and Sebastian Debeste's connections could do no more than get it for him at 17. It was considered insane for Edgeworth to get his at 20, though. However the Initial Trial System was in place during Mia Fey's era, I thought (it was not during Gregory Edgeworth's). So it's been around something like 14 years now. So Simon would've had to have been 14 to have kicked off the Initial Trial System.

In other words, I'm pretty curious what "Dark Age of Law" this could be, since it was my understanding the legal system had been corrupt since at least Mia Fey's era (although people like von Karma had been around much, much longer.)

pariah164

Speaking of that,
I took it to mean the entire era of the Initial Trial System, but that can't be it because Simon Blackquill is only 28. When Phoenix makes the mistake of defending World-Class Douchebag Wizard Zak Gramarye, Simon would've been 20. Now, supposing we use "Europe" as an excuse, the youngest Simon could've been when he got his Prosecutor's Badge would've been somewhere between 14-16, because Franziska was a genius with hilarious connections when she got hers, and Sebastian Debeste's connections could do no more than get it for him at 17. It was considered insane for Edgeworth to get his at 20, though. However the Initial Trial System was in place during Mia Fey's era, I thought (it was not during Gregory Edgeworth's). So it's been around something like 14 years now. So Simon would've had to have been 14 to have kicked off the Initial Trial System.

In other words, I'm pretty curious what "Dark Age of Law" this could be, since it was my understanding the legal system had been corrupt since at least Mia Fey's era (although people like von Karma had been around much, much longer.)
Yeah, exactly.

I just hope it answers all the questions it seems to be building up to and not leave us hanging for AA6.

FleenerW

I'm just afraid of getting through it too quickly. I want it to last.
Yeah, I'm pacing myself as well. Just finished Case 1 -- I'll probably do one case a day or less.

Gotta savor it. (And eventually do a second play-through with the alt. costumes.) Loving everything so far!

pariah164

Yeah, I'm pacing myself as well. Just finished Case 1 -- I'll probably do one case a day or less.

Gotta savor it. (And eventually do a second play-through with the alt. costumes.) Loving everything so far!
Yeah, I did 2 cases yesterday. I'll probably finish the game this weekend, the go back and do a playthrough of every game.

Tizoc

Currently playing Turnabout #2 so some quick thoughts
LOVING Athena, much like Kay she's becoming among my fav. assistants.
Graphics are great and colorful and the animations are superb!
I still hate Trucy though and I am so glad she won't be Apollo's partner/assistant during this turnabout.
I do like Athena's mood system, though it kinda sucks that it would only appear in certain cross examinations.

Oh and am I the only one who thought 'I'm back, bitches!' when Phoenix entered the court room?

OceanBlue

Yay, I finished the third case and I loved it!
It was goofy, but I'm always a sucker for friendship stories. Mr. Perfect almost stole the show for me as well. The story of a stupid person who preserves in trying to protect what he believes are estranged friends by himself is so nice :3. It took me forever to get the puns behind everyone's names too lol. Means was a comical protagonist so there wasn't TOO much tension in the end, but it was still a very intricate, fun case. Also dat Athena Objection theme. Unfortunately, I can see what others are saying about the game seeming easy.

Awesomely hilarious.

They've done a terrific job imbuing 3D models with charm.

I dislike Athena's design mostly because that preposterous hairdo, but the animations have won me over.

The animations are amazing, and especially Fitch's. I feel as if he has the best animations in the game so far.

Nosgoroth

Just finished case 2 and:

1) That was awesome.
2) Everything was awesome.
3) I feel as drained as if that had been an end-of-game case.
4) Awesome.

Fey

Banned
Just finished case 2 and:

1) That was awesome.
2) Everything was awesome.
3) I feel as drained as if that had been an end-of-game case.
4) Awesome.

In the middle of the very first investigation and ahh you're all getting me so hyped for this case and the next.

rekameohs

Banned
Awesomely hilarious.

They've done a terrific job imbuing 3D models with charm.

I dislike Athena's design mostly because that preposterous hairdo, but the animations have won me over.

Her hair is quite ridiculous, but she's certainly not the only lawyer at Wright's Law Office with bizarre hair stylings.

NotLiquid

I just finished the first day of court in Case #2 and this shit is tight, no idea where all the hate is coming from.

People also hate Fulbright? He's fucking awesome.
I loved how he exercised his authority on the prosecutor at the end of the first day, he's like Gumshoe with an extra pair of balls. This has to be a first for Ace Attorney, Criminal Affairs Dept. finally getting worthy representation!

Also Athena is better than Maya.

rekameohs

Banned
Yeah I'm liking the absurdity of Fullbright as well. At least, more than the version of Ema in AA4 - she was better in AA1 and AAI. Not endearing like Gumshoe, but designed to be annoying, sort of like Larry.

Finished Case 2.

*Case 2 Spoilers*
Kind of feels like the sort of oddball case that turns up in the third case spot usually and another of those localisation moments where we have to pretend these very Japanese focused circumstances are taking place elsewhere, well that's Ace Attorney for you.

Nice to have a case as Apollo where he gets to fully solve things himself, bummed out that Trucy got replaced by Athena for it though. Meanwhile within all of the crazy Japanese Demon lore you have this Mexican Wrestling influenced approach to things were a wrestler's mask is considered vitally important that barely felt like it fit the whole theme they were going for but it led to some wrasslin' references including Filch using the term jobbers which makes me happy at least. Sort of started losing interest as the case went on though seeing as they revealed the villain from the word go yet the case went on longer than I expected leading to a bit of a drag at points, dug the characters though with all their eccentricities, animations in this one are so good.

JoseJX

I'm through case one and half way through case two. The music is probably the best since the first game, it reminds me a bit of the Turnabout Jazz Soul arrangements. The graphics are wonderful, with much more feeling to them than I thought the 3D versions were going to have. They really captured the spirit of what made the 2D art work so well. Extremely happy with my purchase so far, although I wish it had been a physical release.

By the way, I noticed a minor glitch. I was examining text evidence such as
Jinxie's Statement
, but when I did no text appeared. Only the title for the text was on screen while a large blank space was below it.

Probably a memory error. Saving, returning to the title screen, then reloading fixed it.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Second case: What am I supposed to do after talking to
the 'possessed' Tenma in the Detention Center? Got the key and a hint to talk to Jinxie, but can't find her anywhere.

Second case: What am I supposed to do after talking to
the 'possessed' Tenma in the Detention Center? Got the key and a hint to talk to Jinxie, but can't find her anywhere.

If lost, go to the Court Record and check your Notes.

Answer :
show the Blackmail letter to him if you havent

Loving the game so far. About to go to court with Apollo on case 2, but I gotta complain...

The typos and missing words are so distracting. What happened to quality, Capcom?

Vamphuntr

I'm still in case 2. I'm enjoying it but I'm not seeing anything mind blowing like you guys are seeing so far. I have yet to get hooked on the game like the other games in the series did to me. I'm not feeling like finding the solutions to the "puzzles" is really satisfying so far. Hopefully it doesn't reach the silliness of AAI Case 5 logic wise since it's by the same people. I miss the free roaming investigations so much. Hoping the last case is amazing and not idiotic like in AJ.

dani_dc

whos waiting it out for text to bobble through, and whos skipping past with the b button? I kinda like the pacing of the text in AA games, but most apparently don't. I skip past the slow ass scene transitions though, and when its someone that talks especially slow.

The base text is just too slow, so I've been pressing B.
Of course B skips over the animations so that's hardly ideal either.

I really wish the game had multiple speeds rather than just "really slow" and "show all the text and skip animations" even if it meant speeding up the animations.

entremet

I never played Apollo Justice. Should I rectify that before getting into this?

I just missed Phoenix, so I skipped it. But that first trilogy. So good.

dani_dc

I never played Apollo Justice. Should I rectify that before getting into this?

I just missed Phoenix, so I skipped it. But that first trilogy. So good.

I'm still on the first case, but the game is a direct sequel to Apollo Justice, and Apollo is in the game. So it's probaby a good idea to play it.

I really should play that game in English at some point rather than playing it in a language that I don't commonly speak.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Anyone having text for evidence turn up black/unreadable? First was a statement from Case 2 and now a page from evidence in Case 3. It's kind of a big issue.

R.I.P

I just finished the first day of court in Case #2 and this shit is tight, no idea where all the hate is coming from.

People also hate Fulbright? He's fucking awesome.
I loved how he exercised his authority on the prosecutor at the end of the first day, he's like Gumshoe with an extra pair of balls. This has to be a first for Ace Attorney, Criminal Affairs Dept. finally getting worthy representation!

Also Athena is better than Maya.

So much this,
he's actually the first detective who has the balls to stand up against the prosecutor.

Top Bottom