• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Anyone having text for evidence turn up black/unreadable? First was a statement from Case 2 and now a page from evidence in Case 3. It's kind of a big issue.

I mentioned this a few posts above yours. Just save and quit. When you reload the game, it should be fixed.

Was this glitch in the Japanese version? I'd be surprised if this was not found during playtesting.

NotLiquid

I'd forgotten how Columbo-esq these games are.

In that we know who the killer is before hand, but the characters don't.

I have a feeling they usually do that in cases where the culprit is just plainly obvious. At the same time I also feel like this particular game is doing a better job at impressing through the reveals and twists. The "why" and "how" are improving. Even if the culprits of the first and second cases of this game are obvious as hell to the audience, the twists and turn of events getting to that successful verdict end up becoming pretty major.

minor joke in case 2 spoilers i guess

glad to see we haven't graduated from "this is SPARDA"-tier subtlety

The Agni & Rudra joke that Trucy made was the best reference. It was actually pretty subtle.

I'm at the second part of case 2, and the game has been pretty solid, but nothing mindblowing yet. I like the improved sound quality and higher screen resolution. I like how the game looks in 3D, but I keep switching it off because I get tired holding the 3DS in perfect angle...

What is the best way to play it?
(RE: AAI2)

Well, unless you know Japanese, there is no way to "play" it in its entirety currently, but there is an amazing translation of the entire game available on YouTube right now. The translator does a simply fantastic job of keeping the tone of the series, and even translates the new characters's names into English puns.

The videos also give you some time to figure out the contradictions yourself, which I think is really neat.

Until AAI2 sees an official release, this is the next best thing, especially for people that don't want to skip over any games in the series.

You can find the videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzQuGq21Dlc&list=PLjRAU3j6cNaixtcLDixVlaz7Vcthm0rmh

(RE: AAI2)

Well, unless you know Japanese, there is no way to "play" it in its entirety currently, but there is an amazing translation of the entire game available on YouTube right now. The translator does a simply fantastic job of keeping the tone of the series, and even translates the new characters's names into English puns.

The videos also give you some time to figure out the contradictions yourself, which I think is really neat.

Until AAI2 sees an official release, this is the next best thing, especially for people that don't want to skip over any games in the series.

You can find the videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzQuGq21Dlc&list=PLjRAU3j6cNaixtcLDixVlaz7Vcthm0rmh

There is also the translation patch, which has the first two cases translated currently.

Kouriozan

I want to play it but, I fear it'll be hard and annoying to understand a text heavy game like this for a non native english speaker like me, and I loved AA1-4 so much T_T
I already had some trouble in the Demo. I bought Crimson Shroud and regret it so much, for the same reasons.
My only choices is to watch a translated walkthrough of this game, such a shame because it's really awesome.

pariah164

I want to play it but, I fear it'll be hard and annoying to understand a text heavy game like this for a non native english speaker like me, and I loved AA1-4 so much T_T
I already had some trouble in the Demo. I bought Crimson Shroud and regret it so much, for the same reasons.
My only choices is to watch a translated walkthrough of this game, such a shame because it's really awesome.
This is why they need to offer multi-language options in the game. But then again, cost is why we're getting a digital-only release to begin with so... derp.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I know that text speed is part of the storytelling aspect in visual novels but sometimes I really wish they would scroll faster on your first run through. *sigh*. T_T

Sera O

Banned
I really shouldn't be in this thread at all due to spoiler danger - but I can't download the game until later on tonight and the reactions are getting me pumped. I've missed this series a lot (even though I the Apollo installment was kind of weak). Can't wait to dig into this over the weekend.

Just finished Case 1. That was some ending. There seems to be some mixed reactions to Case 2 so I don't know what to expect but then again, I've never been bothered by the supposedly bad cases of the series so I guess I'm easy to please.

miksar

I have a question for the Europeans in here - did the costume DLC come free for you guys as it was announced on Capcomunity?
Yes, it did, already downloaded it. Apollo looks funny in the courtroom in his alternative outfit and I also prefer Phoenix's classic suit (Athena's uniform not so much).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I literally just started, but I can't believe how amazing Athena's animations and expressions are. They're absolutely adorable.

The first case starts off a million times better than the demo. I was pleasantly surprised.

Been taking my time with this game, I'm still on the first case, and it is already so good.
That epic entrance by Phoenix. The love scarf, and the widget blurting out what Athena is thinking. I like the animated cut-scenes, it adds to the impact of important scenes.

I can't believe we have a case one that is multiple days. Must not stay up till 1 AM playing this.

I'm about to jump back in; I finished Day 1 of Case 2 yesterday.

I loved Case 1, but Case 2 is a bit iffy. The Investigation portion of Day 1 was as mediocre as ever (which is a big disappointment after Investigations hit on a way of improving it), and even the Courtroom portion felt a bit lacking.

Also, I'm not sold on Blackquill. I think I'd like him more if he wasn't a convicted murderer. That just shatters my suspension of disbelief. How is a murderer able to serve as a prosecutor? That just bugs the hell out of me.

I can accept stuff like spirit mediums, psyche locks, etc, because the difference is that those things don't fly contradictory to the logic/rules already established within the AA universe. A convicted murderer being able to serve as a prosecutor just doesn't fit.

Not to mention I think it also undermines the impact of (AA: T&T spoiler)
Godot turning out to be guilty of murder. That revelation was quite sad, as you knew that was basically the end for him, but now there's no reason he still can't be alive and prosecuting.

CrazyDude

I can accept stuff like spirit mediums, psyche locks, etc, because the difference is that those things don't fly contradictory to the logic/rules already established within the AA universe. A convicted murderer being able to serve as a prosecutor just doesn't fit.
]

Notthing in the universe said they could not. How is contradictory?

Holy shit, Florent L'Belle is like the perfect spokesperson for the PopGAF thread. He reads just like that MESS of a thread.

I actually really like his theme; it's pretty damn good. I laughed at him answering his cell phone.

I'm on day 2 of case 2 so far. It's kind of been an odd ride, but I don't dislike it.

pariah164

I got so stuck on case 2 that I went and looked up a walkthrough... /shame

I get the feeling I'll pull the age-old AA pattern in court of saving before presenting any piece of evidence.

miksar

Just finished the second case. I didn't really enjoy it until
it was revealed who Nine-Tails Fox really is
. The cut scene at the ending was great,
I was really happy for the mayor

Does anyone have any idea how long this takes to download? I'm at a place of limited internet access and will be attempting to pick it up via Starbucks wi-fi at some point.

CorvoSol

Okay so this kind of bugs me about Case 2:
The Judge has SEEN. WITH HIS OWN EYES. A demon possess a witness/defendant before. Sure, it has been 8 years, but he SAW THAT HAPPEN. How is he not believing it a second time?

Udgey is such a fickle guy.

It's contradictory in that it's heavily implied that in the Phoenix Wright-universe, murderers are put on the death row.
This isn't always true. I think people just assume that's the rule but I believe it's on a case by case basis.

*AAI2 Spoiler*
For example, Frank Sahwit isn't on death row. In AAI2 you see him in prison training for a job for when he gets released.

This isn't always true. I think people just assume that's the rule but I believe it's on a case by case basis.

*AAI2 Spoiler*
For example, Frank Sahwit isn't on death row. In AAI2 you see him in prison training for a job for when he gets released.

I never played the AAI games, but it's at least been the case with
Dahlia
, and was going to be the case with
Terry Fawles
, and was implied to be the case with
von Karma and Godot

Fey

Banned

It's not like this for Cases 3, 4, and 5, is it? D:

I love trying to figure out the killer with the characters.

Dahlia
Terry Fawles
von Karma and Godot
That's what I mean by case by case basis. It makes more sense too.

Having a blanket judgment for a specific type of crime is pretty lazy IMO.

GSR

No, cases 3, 4, and 5 (and the DLC) don't show you the killer. I guess cases 1 and 2 did it as a nod back to the first game. (And it's not like case 2's killer is subtle.)

goblin

Also, I'm not sold on Blackquill. I think I'd like him more if he wasn't a convicted murderer. That just shatters my suspension of disbelief. How is a murderer able to serve as a prosecutor? That just bugs the hell out of me.

Your mileage may vary, but I felt that it was adequately addressed by the time the game was done.

Nope, it's not.

Xav

I don't know what's more shocking, how well the game made the jump to 3D or the fact I'm actually enjoying a Capcom game for the first time in forever.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

This always messes me up because inevitably there's parts where you KNOW what really happened but because the game demands that the case be peeled like an onion layer by layer you have to make several jumps until you reach that point.

It's like "oh, it was him, he did this, then hid there, then spoke with that guy". But at the court, it's "oh he walked through solid walls, and i can demonstrate it" at which point you peel another layer.

It's my ONLY gripe with the series. I wish the real culprits weren't so goddamned obvious haha. I think I recall a few cases from previous games where it wasn't and I enjoyed them the better for that.

How was it implied with
von Karma and Godot

Ace Attorney Wiki points me to this for von Karma

Could just be Phoenix being dramatic, I suppose.

This.

As for
Godot - paraphrasing here - at the end, Phoenix says that he couldn't save Godot as well together with Maya and Iris, when Mia responds with telling Phoenix that he had saved Godot in a way that transcends life and death. There's also a picture of him at the end with Mia and Elise as "spirits looming over the cast", seen here.

Fey

Banned
No, cases 3, 4, and 5 (and the DLC) don't show you the killer. I guess cases 1 and 2 did it as a nod back to the first game. (And it's not like case 2's killer is subtle.)

Nope, it's not.

Woot, thanks guys. I assumed it was going to be like AA1, but also remembered the comments about the game being much easier so got scared for a second there, hehe.

On another note, I thought I was going to hate Athena and pine for Maya, but I'm loving her and her expressions so far. *O*

Jintor

Hmm, hitting B for every piece of dialogue is kind of immediately gratifying, but it really ruins the pacing of some of these Courtroom segments.

I think I'll stop doing that...

CorvoSol

Dahlia
Terry Fawles
von Karma and Godot

How was it implied with
Godot?

How was it implied with
von Karma and Godot

Well for
Von Karma at least, Franziska says something along the lines of "no longer in this world." I think.

Of course that murderers do not get the Death Penalty automatically has been established since
AA4, in which Kristoph is very much alive after his trial.

suzu

Finished cases 1 & 2. The second one was a bit ehhhhhh... I liked the music though.

I like Blackquill and his bird. Fulbright isn't too bad.

Top Bottom