• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Draxal

I like how the characters animations keep on getting better and better.

3's villian is amazing and all of four's so far are great.

CorvoSol

It is strange seeing Apollo being so competent.

Having just finished Apollo Justice for the 2nd time, I didn't see Apollo as incompetent. It was more that Klavier wouldn't let him do his own damn job. Edgeworth at least made Nick do things, Klavier basically walks away from the Prosecutor's Bench to object to his own objections. It's pretty clear the writer was madly in love with Klavier, and it sucked.

Oh speaking of why Klavier is the worst prosecutor in the series, it seriously pisses me off how AA4 FINAL CASE SPOILERS
He bitches up a storm toward the end about this darkness in his heart. I'm like, WHAT? Phoenix had his life ruined by people who had no reason to ruin his life, who barely even profited from it, was stripped of his badge over things which von Karma and Edgeworth both did and kept their jobs for. HE has darkness in his heart. Trucy was abandoned by her father simply so he could escape the rap for a crime he benefited from anyway. Her mother is amnesiac and her dad is a grade-a asshole, as was her grandad. TRUCY has darkness in her heart. Apollo was abandoned under circumstances that are NEVER explained. HE has darkness. Kristoph is an insane maniac worthy of the Count de Villefort, who sets up a 7 year scheme to rise to glory and power by ruining Phoenix Wright's life and murdering, among others, an innocent little girl. He represents the darkness in the entire system. Valant Gramarye framed his best friend for control of the wizards and rights to his masters arcanum, and spent 7 years hiding this. HE has darkness in his heart.

Klavier is a bitchy German rock-god who is knee deep in women, including mysterious fine enchantress women from bizarre Eastern bloc nations, has more money than Redd White, is a famous prosecutor who single-handedly and without a shred of evidence or effort stops the meteoric rise of Phoenix Wright. He has money, fame, friends and power. What in the hell does HE get to complain about? His part in destroying Phoenix's life? Cuz he was SO concerned about it that day, when he smugly tore him to shreds. Cuz he was SO concerned about it for SEVEN FUCKING YEARS that he let it go completely uninvestigated in spite of this darkness. Cuz he was SO concerned that he let Kristoph kill a man. Cuz he was SO concerned he's doing absofuckinglotely nothing at the end to nail Kristoph but bitch about some darkness in his heart. Klavier is a self-absorbed, pathetic excuse for a prosecutor. In a way, he's far, far worse of a villain than Manfred, Gant, Edgeworth, Franziska, Dahlia, Godot or Kristoph. Klavier KNEW for SEVEN years the truth of Kristoph and Phoenix's disbarment, and he does NOTHING. And why should he? Some "darkness"? Please, destroying Phoenix brought him power, and unlike Kristoph, he didn't have to live with having done it, nor with any of the other evil things which Kristoph had done to get that far.

Klavier Gavin is a horrible human being and if Ema Skye ever wound up with him it would be the worst choice of her life.

It seems like Apollo takes up the role of noob Phoenix while Phoenix evolved in to the confident lawyer/mentor role.

I like new confident Nick. It's nice to see him that way, especially after all the confident people he's taken on.

Jarate

Banned
Im just on the first case and this game gives me Phoenix Wright feels, something that Apollo Justice never gave me. I like Apollo as his own character, it's just that no one is as badass as Phoenix Wright

Finished Case 3, working through Case 4.

oh my god, so good. Case 3 was a riot. The music is amazing, especially the callbacks to the AJ songs were great too

Case 3 end spoiler:
Kinda like how Juniper's stage costume looked like Lamiroir's costume in AJ

I love this game.

Apollo x Juniper forever

In regards to the responses over my Blackquill reservations, it's not just about murderers supposedly being put on death row. It's mainly the fact that still being able to serve as a prosecutor after being convicted as a murderer completely undermines the finality/drama/breakdowns of previous convictions in the series.

To see a convicted murderer in the courtroom, acting smug, having the upper hand, and having the judge eating out of his hand - ie. being no different from any other prosecutor we've seen in the series - just cheapens the consequences of a murder conviction to me.

Shahadan

I like Klavier. It was nice to see an honest prosecutor for once who tried to do his job the right way as much as you. It fits with AA4's theme nicely too.

Less air guitar would have been a good thing though.

rekameohs

Banned
In regards to the responses over my Blackquill reservations, it's not just about murderers supposedly being put on death row. It's mainly the fact that still being able to serve as a prosecutor after being comvicted as a murderer completely undermines the finality/drama/breakdowns of previous convictions in the series.

To see a convicted murderer in the courtroom, acting smug, having the upper hand, and having the judge eating out of his hand - ie. being no different from any other prosecutor we've seen in the series - just cheapens the consequences of a murder conviction to me.
I have to admit, seeing Frank Sahwit as a prosecutor would be pretty fantastic.

Why was this rated M?

the gratuitous sex scenes

nobody really knows, but i'd put my bets on the fact that there is occasionally a copious amount of blood in animated scenes. while blood has been in basically every ace attorney game, i guess maybe the fact that it's animated in cutscenes makes it worse? that's all i can gather.

edit: whoa, what is up with the disappearing text in the log? doesn't do much good if half the text isn't there.

I like Klavier. It was nice to see an honest prosecutor for once who tried to do his job the right way as much as you. It fits with AA4's theme nicely too.

Less air guitar would have been a good thing though.

Yeah, I agree. I thought it was refreshing to have a prosecutor played as a straight-up good guy off the bat for once. Though I do think AA4 could have benefitted from one more prosecutor. AA1-3 all had at least two prosecutors besides Winston Payne, which kept things interesting.

Squishy3

Having just finished Apollo Justice for the 2nd time, I didn't see Apollo as incompetent. It was more that Klavier wouldn't let him do his own damn job. Edgeworth at least made Nick do things, Klavier basically walks away from the Prosecutor's Bench to object to his own objections. It's pretty clear the writer was madly in love with Klavier, and it sucked.

Oh speaking of why Klavier is the worst prosecutor in the series, it seriously pisses me off how AA4 FINAL CASE SPOILERS
He bitches up a storm toward the end about this darkness in his heart. I'm like, WHAT? Phoenix had his life ruined by people who had no reason to ruin his life, who barely even profited from it, was stripped of his badge over things which von Karma and Edgeworth both did and kept their jobs for. HE has darkness in his heart. Trucy was abandoned by her father simply so he could escape the rap for a crime he benefited from anyway. Her mother is amnesiac and her dad is a grade-a asshole, as was her grandad. TRUCY has darkness in her heart. Apollo was abandoned under circumstances that are NEVER explained. HE has darkness. Kristoph is an insane maniac worthy of the Count de Villefort, who sets up a 7 year scheme to rise to glory and power by ruining Phoenix Wright's life and murdering, among others, an innocent little girl. He represents the darkness in the entire system. Valant Gramarye framed his best friend for control of the wizards and rights to his masters arcanum, and spent 7 years hiding this. HE has darkness in his heart.

Klavier is a bitchy German rock-god who is knee deep in women, including mysterious fine enchantress women from bizarre Eastern bloc nations, has more money than Redd White, is a famous prosecutor who single-handedly and without a shred of evidence or effort stops the meteoric rise of Phoenix Wright. He has money, fame, friends and power. What in the hell does HE get to complain about? His part in destroying Phoenix's life? Cuz he was SO concerned about it that day, when he smugly tore him to shreds. Cuz he was SO concerned about it for SEVEN FUCKING YEARS that he let it go completely uninvestigated in spite of this darkness. Cuz he was SO concerned that he let Kristoph kill a man. Cuz he was SO concerned he's doing absofuckinglotely nothing at the end to nail Kristoph but bitch about some darkness in his heart. Klavier is a self-absorbed, pathetic excuse for a prosecutor. In a way, he's far, far worse of a villain than Manfred, Gant, Edgeworth, Franziska, Dahlia, Godot or Kristoph. Klavier KNEW for SEVEN years the truth of Kristoph and Phoenix's disbarment, and he does NOTHING. And why should he? Some "darkness"? Please, destroying Phoenix brought him power, and unlike Kristoph, he didn't have to live with having done it, nor with any of the other evil things which Kristoph had done to get that far.

Klavier Gavin is a horrible human being and if Ema Skye ever wound up with him it would be the worst choice of her life.

I like new confident Nick. It's nice to see him that way, especially after all the confident people he's taken on.
Apollo Justice ending spoilers:
You're switching between Klavier and Kristoph a bunch in your post. Kristoph ruined Phoenix's career because he felt he got cheated out of representing Zak Gramarye in the case as it would have made him famous if he got him declared innocent, and because of this Zak chose Phoenix over Kristoph, he did it for extremely petty reasons and I do think that makes him a good villain, because he went to such extreme measures over something so little. Kristoph would have gotten away with everything if it wasn't for a bunch of extremely lucky coincidences. (Zak reappearing to make sure Valant doesn't get the magician troupe, Drew accidentally killing himself.)

Javier

Case 2, Day 2 Trial:

I am SERIOUSLY getting tired of seeing the CG with
Frightened Jinxie and Tenma Taro
over and over and over again. I've probably seen it more than any other CG in the series.

Fireblend

Banned
Just started case 2 and holy shit is this game pretty. Best use of 3D on the system yet? These animated backgrounds are something else.

zhorkat

Just finished case 2. My biggest gripes with the game right now are the inability to examine every single scene, the chat log that shows you empty boxes where lines of dialogue should be, and the lines of text that you can't hit B to fast forward through without the game immediately skipping to the next line of text. Case 2 itself was pretty enjoyable, though.

zhorkat

What? Just hit B once and don't hold it down and it won't skip to the next line.

There are several lines of text which, when they finish printing out, automatically move to the next line of text. Maybe I'm just terrible at it, but I'm pretty sure that when you hit B for those lines of text, they automatically skip to the next line of text, since there is no state where that line sits still and waits for you to hit a button.

OceanBlue

Just finished case 2. My biggest gripes with the game right now are the inability to examine every single scene, the chat log that shows you empty boxes where lines of dialogue should be, and the lines of text that you can't hit B to fast forward through without the game immediately skipping to the next line of text. Case 2 itself was pretty enjoyable, though.

I had that problem during the second case too. It carried over to the third case, but restarting the game fixed the issue. Also I haven't seen it since, so it's probably some bug specific to the second case.

Case 3 was awesome

and I'm gonna need the sprites from this game A-S-A-P!

I kinda want a Juniper avatar. Mr. Perfect's smirk is pretty funny too lol.

Edit: Yesssss more favorable opinions towards the third case. I thought it'd be too corny for some people but I loved it. It was great. I hope the fourth case has a comparable build-up.

CorvoSol

Klavier does have a rocking theme at least. Gotta give him that.

Nope. I did not like even that aspect of Klavier. His only good aspect was being friendly outside of court, and that he kind of squanders by being TOO friendly in court.

Apollo Justice ending spoilers:
You're switching between Klavier and Kristoph a bunch in your post. Kristoph ruined Phoenix's career because he felt he got cheated out of representing Zak Gramarye in the case as it would have made him famous if he got him declared innocent, and because of this Zak chose Phoenix over Kristoph, he did it for extremely petty reasons and I do think that makes him a good villain, because he went to such extreme measures over something so little. Kristoph would have gotten away with everything if it wasn't for a bunch of extremely lucky coincidences. (Zak reappearing to make sure Valant doesn't get the magician troupe, Drew accidentally killing himself.)

AA4 END GAME SPOILERS
I'm not switching between Kristoph and Klavier at all in my post. I mean precisely what I am saying. Oh, Kristoph plans the disbarment, executes it, and the murders, and is, by his own admission, an "evil human being." But Klavier is hardly innocent. To be sure, Kristoph was the one who was supposed to profit, but Klavier reaps rewards too. Defeating Phoenix rockets his prosecutorial career skyward and makes him a sensation in the legal world as well as the musical. And Klavier KNEW what had happened. He knew Kristoph's tip was fishy and for seven years he says NOTHING and for all this "darkness" in his heart from that, he NEVER investigates the matter. He never confronts Kristoph or asks about it, never goes to the Bar Association with his concerns, doesn't speak up to the Judge, or anything. Klavier knew the evidence was fake before Phoenix ever presented it, and rather than bother to check and find out if Phoenix has been duped, Klavier sits on his ass and watches as the money starts rolling in. If he had this "darkness" he claims, and if he was so suspicious of Kristoph, why did he stand by in utter silence for SEVEN years, continuing to profit from the ruination of Pheonix's life, rather than go to someone about it?

Klavier's situation is similar to Morgan's plans for Pearl. Morgan wanted Pearl to gain at Maya's expense. The difference being that Kristoph wanted himself to gain, though ultimately Klavier is the one who did, and that unlike Pearl, who believed her mother was doing what she was doing out of love and kindness, Klavier allegedly suspected Kristoph all along. Oh, and of course the key difference that unlike Klavier, Pearl had a moral spine and as soon as she realized what went wrong felt guilty and sought to make things right, rather than spending SEVEN YEARS reaping the benefits.

Klavier Gavin is a horrible human being.

In other news, the Joker has me stumped in case 2, guys.

Sprites? Huh?

Sprites, 3D models, whatever, I just want (Big Case 3 day 1 trial spoilers)
Robin being as C-U-T-E as she can be!

Edit: Yesssss more favorable opinions towards the third case. I thought it'd be too corny for some people but I loved it. It was great. I hope the fourth case has a comparable build-up.

Case 3 was hilarious and restored my faith in the game after the trainwreck that was case 2

...and then after I finished it and I saw the silhouette for case 4.

WELP

DukeBobby

Just started the second day of case 2.

Can't say I'm enjoying this case at all, to be honest. It's not quite as bad as case 3 in Apollo Justice, but it's definitely one of the weaker ones in the series, at least so far. Maybe day 2 can save it.

Just started the second day of case 2.

Can't say I'm enjoying this case at all, to be honest. It's not quite as bad as case 3 in Apollo Justice, but it's definitely one of the weaker ones in the series, at least so far. Maybe day 2 can save it.
Only gets good near the end.

789shadow

Banned
Case 3:
Jesus Prof. Means is giving me fits and it's only his first testimony! I have no idea what to present!

EDIT:
Got it. HOLY SHIT AT MEANS WHEN HE GETS SERIOUS.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Only gets good near the end.

That's good to hear atleast.

So far with case 2:
I am fine with the more wacky killings like this, but it was so weird to me that NOBODY mentioned Florent at all(day 1 trial). Even disregarding him already obviously being shown as the killer and also with the blatant talk of preparing Phineas' testimony, he's the only other guy in the Foyer. He just tied in way too much importance regarding the story of the demon running into the Foyer to not come off as aggravating.

Though already just starting the day 2 investigation, apparently not having been in the vent already changes things. Still interested to see how it happened.

Top Bottom