• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Tizoc

Either the forbidden chamber or the doors to the Fox Chamber from the corridor outside. I think the puzzle showed up twice and those two were the solutions.

Thanks, I'll try it later today, but I swear I marked that location but I still got penalized. Maybe it's cuz I was sleepy before I stopped at that part.

dan2026

Does anyone else think L-Belle looks like Frank Miller's depiction of the Joker in The Dark Knight Returns.

Its all I can see.

protonion

Done with 2. Very nice conclusion although the breakdown was not as good as the first!

Also...

That moment when you realise that Blackquill has a feather in his mouth instead of a cigar!
(or was it just me?)

NotLiquid

Case 2 was great! Dragged a little but I quite enjoyed it, a tons of twists and turns that kept on giving, even if it felt like a Case 3 per the usual series standards. Also, Jinxie is adorable and I love her.

One thing really stood out to me near the ending though,
I had no idea the final segment of court introduced a mechanic in the game play where you had to weed out evidence in a Danganronpa-esque event hotline. That was fucking awesome and I loved how much it made you actually think things through.

demidar

In retrospection, (case 2 spoilers)
how did the the actual murderer get in to the Secret Chamber when Tenma swallowed the only key to get in?

FluxWaveZ

how did the the actual murderer get in to the Secret Chamber when Tenma swallowed the only key to get in?

Right.
I can't think of how the killer got in either since Tenma had apparently swallowed the only key before getting knocked out.

NotLiquid

Wow at the Case 3 opening, kind of freaky.
The way the three students circulated around the dead teacher had me believing some Children of The Corn shit was going on.

Isn't it possible that L'belle had the key on hand and made him swallow it while unconscious in order to dispose of it? I forgot whether it was mentioned that Tenma swallowed the key willingly.

FluxWaveZ

Isn't it possible that L'belle had the key on hand and made him swallow it while unconscious in order to dispose of it? I forgot whether it was mentioned that Tenma swallowed the key willingly.

I'm pretty sure
Tenma said he swallowed it willingly in order to prevent the real killer from obtaining it.

Veggy

My 3DS died last night, something internal is completely screwed and the console keeps switching off. Fortunately it is under warranty and they have replaced the console but I seem to have come across a new problem

I'm using the same SD card as before (the one with AA5 on it, among other things), added all my details to the new system, linked my eshop account etc. but it seems I can't redownload AA5 without PAYING for it again, a game I only bought 2 days ago. My eshop balance from before is gone also and it's now down to £0.00

Is there anything I can do here guys? Gonna be mighty pissed if I spent £20 for nothing

Reasons to play earlier AA games before AA5:

- You'll get the most out of each respective game in regards to story, character development, fanservice, etc

Reasons to play AA5, and then go back to earlier AA games.

- Absolutely none.

Simple as that. It's not like the earlier games are dated compared to AA5. If you've never played the series, there is zero reason to start with any game other than the first one.

SuperSah

Banned
Reasons to play earlier AA games before AA5:

- You'll get the most out of each respective game in regards to story, character development, fanservice, etc

- Cheaper

Reasons to play AA5, and then go back to earlier AA games.

- Absolutely none.

Simple as that. It's not like the earlier games are dated compared to AA5. If you've never played the series, there is zero reason to start with any game other than the first one.

I assume you have not seen the UK pricing for earlier games.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ended the 2nd case. The second part of the last trial made it pretty good, so many turns of events.

And a pretty creepy L'Belle without all the makeup, at the end :D What a mischievous plan

Sorian

Banned
Case 3:
Jesus Prof. Means is giving me fits and it's only his first testimony! I have no idea what to present!

EDIT:
Got it. HOLY SHIT AT MEANS WHEN HE GETS SERIOUS.

Probably one of the better transformations in the series and making me feel like "this isn't even my final form"

Still not working with iOS7? Well that's lazy, probably only needs a minor bug fix too. Shame, that's how I was hoping to play through the first 3.

The HD trilogy needs a lot more than a simple bug fix to be worthwhile. It's a mess and should not be anyone's first playthrough of the series. The DS and WiiWare versions are still the only way to go, IMO.

Some reasons were listed in this great guide listed way back on page 11.

Meia

The HD trilogy needs a lot more than a simple bug fix to be worthwhile. It's a mess and should not be anyone's first playthrough of the series. The DS and WiiWare versions are still the only way to go, IMO.

Some reasons were listed in this great guide listed way back on page 11.

Strongly disagree. Get people to experience the series however they can. If they like it, they'll move onto Apollo Justice and realize how much better the presentation is compared to iOS. This is what I did, and even went back and bought the DS games because I really liked the series.

There's nothing really wrong with the iOS release though, honestly. The game is still intact.

Case 2 was great! Dragged a little but I quite enjoyed it, a tons of twists and turns that kept on giving, even if it felt like a Case 3 per the usual series standards. Also, Jinxie is adorable and I love her.

One thing really stood out to me near the ending though,
I had no idea the final segment of court introduced a mechanic in the game play where you had to weed out evidence in a Danganronpa-esque event hotline. That was fucking awesome and I loved how much it made you actually think things through.

was totally hoping apollo would hop on a skateboard and start doing some XTREME LOGICAL DIVING

anyways, super excited to start the 3rd case. game is absolutely delivering so far, and the intro sequence to case 3 has me intrigued.

Strongly disagree. Get people to experience the series however they can. If they like it, they'll move onto Apollo Justice and realize how much better the presentation is compared to iOS. This is what I did, and even went back and bought the DS games because I really liked the series.

There's nothing really wrong with the iOS release though, honestly. The game is still intact.

Missing animations, wrong animations, missing music would disagree with you. Intact implies it has all the content from the original release, which it does not. The "HD" graphics also make me want to stab my eyes with a letter opener.

demidar

Well,
if he was forced to swallow it unconsciously, then he wouldn't have known it was in his stomach to regurgitate it out. Not only that, but L'belle placed Tenma in the hidden chamber, and then he opened it up again to let Filch out which meant he needed the key. If L'belle did have the key then, then Tenma couldn't give the key to Apollo in the Detention Center.

So, when's that DLC case come out? I heard the best point to play it was after Case 2, which I'm about to begin.

Also, my favorite animation so far is probably Athena's thinking animation where she plays with her earring. So good.

Sorian

Banned
Well,
if he was forced to swallow it unconsciously, then he wouldn't have known it was in his stomach to regurgitate it out. Not only that, but L'belle placed Tenma in the hidden chamber, and then he opened it up again to let Filch out which meant he needed the key. If L'belle did have the key then, then Tenma couldn't give the key to Apollo in the Detention Center.

(Talking about case 2 ending here)
I don't want to handwave off Tenma at all but after its revealed that he was unconscious in the forbidden chamber, does any of his testimony even hold up anymore? He was obviously filling in the blanks in his memory as he went along whether consciously or sub-consciously. I think L'belle forced him to swallow it unconsciously and Tenma just filled in the gaps when he regurgitated it

Let's be real though, when the demon bird possessed him it needed to snack on the closest black piece of metal :p

Sorian

Banned
So, when's that DLC case come out? I heard the best point to play it was after Case 2, which I'm about to begin.

Also, my favorite animation so far is probably Athena's thinking animation where she plays with her earring. So good.

Its not that you need to play the DLC case between 2 and 3, its just you should already have case 2 under your belt when going into the DLC case so that you have already been introduced to all of the cast of characters.

Edit: ......damn double post, also to answer your question as well. I don't believe there has been mention yet but I'd imagine it'll realese within the month.

Shouta

Borrowed my friend's 3DS and pick this up. Got tot he end of day 1 in the first case. So good to have it back. Kind of missing the 2D scenes from AAI2 as that wast he last one I played but oh well, lol.

Sadist

Does anyone else think L-Belle looks like Frank Miller's depiction of the Joker in The Dark Knight Returns.

Its all I can see.

dark-knight-joker-close_11976582501.jpg

If you compare L'Belle's build, greenish hair, purple outfit and the forced laugh... yeah. When he appeared during the trial I was like "woah the Joker making a cameo in Ace Attorney".

Finished the second case and man it was gooooooooooooood. Best things about the case are Blackquil's hawk sitting on top of the Judge's head (loved the exoression) and Blackquil's animation. Right Justice-dono?

The Amazing Ninetails twist was awesome, didn't see that one coming.

This is the only game this year that has stuck a grin on my face for the entirety of playing it.

CASE THREE ENDING SPOILER:
Means writing his punishments on the blackboard and getting booed by the gallery was the funniest thing I've seen this year. HOLY LOL.

NotLiquid

Case 3 Day 1:
Klavier is as handsome as ever but I almost feel like Apollo and Klavier should have switched up voice actors. He sounds a lot more younger and "American" than he did in AA4. Not getting that much of a "German rock star" disposition from him. In contrast Apollo almost has a deeper voice than Wright.

Mzo

My 3DS died last night, something internal is completely screwed and the console keeps switching off. Fortunately it is under warranty and they have replaced the console but I seem to have come across a new problem

I'm using the same SD card as before (the one with AA5 on it, among other things), added all my details to the new system, linked my eshop account etc. but it seems I can't redownload AA5 without PAYING for it again, a game I only bought 2 days ago. My eshop balance from before is gone also and it's now down to £0.00

Is there anything I can do here guys? Gonna be mighty pissed if I spent £20 for nothing
Welcome to Nintendo DD. You were supposed to get the system repaired by Nintendo, I guess. It's hard to believe you weren't aware of their online shit by now.

You can try calling up customer service, but it's a complete crapshoot. If they don't want to cooperate I suggest being relentless and going all the way up to a manager.

Sorian

Banned
This is the only game this year that has stuck a grin on my face for the entirety of playing it.

CASE THREE ENDING SPOILER:
Means writing his punishments on the blackboard and getting booed by the gallery was the funniest thing I've seen this year. HOLY LOL.

Its the nervous smile that gets me rolling at the end there.
You can just read his mind "Come on guys, this is good enough punishment, right?" Laughed really hard at "30% salary cut"

Theorymon

Well, I finished the game last night. Holy shit at that last case, that was quite the ride!

Is there any AA5 Spoiler thread yet? If so, I'll have to head on down there once I collected my thoughts.

Sorian

Banned
Case 3 Day 1:
Klavier is as handsome as ever but I almost feel like Apollo and Klavier should have switched up voice actors. He sounds a lot more younger and "American" than he did in AA4. Not getting that much of a "German rock star" disposition from him. In contrast Apollo almost has a deeper voice than Wright.

I'm fine with Apollo's voice but I agree with you on who you spoiled. There is an anime cutscene at the end of the case that will have that person saying one of their most famous lines and it just sounded......wrong.

Veggy

Welcome to Nintendo DD. You were supposed to get the system repaired by Nintendo, I guess. It's hard to believe you weren't aware of their online shit by now.

You can try calling up customer service, but it's a complete crapshoot. If they don't want to cooperate I suggest being relentless and going all the way up to a manager.

Rarely used the eshop to buy anything, though now that I think about it that means I also lost my Fire Emblem Awakening DD........fuck

Always knew their online was ass, just never experienced it until now :(

Its the nervous smile that gets me rolling at the end there.
You can just read his mind "Come on guys, this is good enough punishment, right?" Laughed really hard at "30% salary cut"

The fact that he writes out about five things, all progressively getting worse, before slooooooowly writing out a G like it's the hardest thing in the world, then collapsing, is both comedic gold and extremely satisfying.

On to Case 4 now.
The fact that Case 1 is actually after cases 2, 3 and 4 is kinda silly, as you know that Woods is going to go free in Case 3, and the fact that they have to keep referring to Case 1 at the end of each chapter makes it feel like they could have done the whole Apollo leaving thing later.

Also, the typos in this game are inexcusable.

Sorian

Banned
The fact that he writes out about five things, all progressively getting worse, before slooooooowly writing out a G like it's the hardest thing in the world, then collapsing, is both comedic gold and extremely satisfying.

On to Case 4 now.
The fact that Case 1 is actually after cases 2, 3 and 4 is kinda silly, as you know that Woods is going to go free in Case 3, and the fact that they have to keep referring to Case 1 at the end of each chapter makes it feel like they could have done the whole Apollo leaving thing later.

Also, the typos in this game are inexcusable.

At first, I thought he was trying to write Gavinners symbol at first and thought that he was about to try to drop another bomb on us

Edit: Oh and play more of case 4. I'm only halfway through myself but you are at least partially wrong in what you wrote.

JoeFu

Banned
Just got to the second cross examination in case 2. I'm loving it. The character models are amazing, the music is good as always, and alkfjas;lgkja;sldfkjasdfjk so happy to be playing a new AA game :D :D :D : D: D

Parablank

I'm loving AA5 right now but it would have been amazing if they took the auto idea from VLR (auto confirming dialogue). It's getting kind of annoying during dialogue that I have to keep pressing a/tapping the screen.

Sorian

Banned
I'm loving AA5 right now but it would have been amazing if they took the auto idea from VLR (auto confirming dialogue). It's getting kind of annoying during dialogue that I have to keep pressing a/tapping the screen.

The facial expressions and mannerisms of the character speaking change as the dialogue is scrolling. That's why they don't let you just tap the screen to mark dialogue appear until after you've beaten the case once.

Edit: Wait, nvm, I think I got what you meant. Those always end up being to slow for me anyway.

BlackJace

Does anyone else feel that when you get a Game Over, being able to retry with a full penalty gauge at the spot you failed makes the game a bit easy?

I kind of liked the tension of being on my last one or two strikes and hoping for the best, lest I had to reload.

NotLiquid

The best thing this game does in my opinion is how we're jumping between a perfect mix of attorneys - all getting equal spot in the limelight. Athena is probably the best female sidekick the series has had, and being able to perceive each character from a different set of eyes makes the characters truly come alive. You've got Phoenix as the mentor guy who is setting an inspiration, Athena as the spunky newcomer and Apollo as the deadpan every man.

Experiencing the characters from different angles makes things exciting as well and I love how much of a true team the Wright Agency is finally becoming. It's made me love Apollo a lot more as well having to see his reactions from the perspective of someone else, since he's the one who is instantly responsible for the "not this shit again" reactions.

I hope that the series can continue in this direction in the future, and I also hope Athena becomes a permanent mainstay in the AA series. She's this close to becoming my favorite character.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Don't let it be a
SNAAAAAAAKE!

You got me there, game. I laughed.

Top Bottom