• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

McNum

I need a hint for case 3...

Percieve scene: "Hugh is a gifted student. He gets outstanding grades and never causes trouble." What am I looking for? I've looked at Junie's eyes, eyebrows, fingers, neck, even her flower in her hair, and I can't find a twitch anywhere. I assume its ether "outstanding grades" or "never causes trouble" I have to ping, but I can't see anything.

I never was good at these scenes in AA4.

EDIT: Never mind.
Just noticed her scarf moving.
It helps to complain.

So, I'm in the tail end of case 2, and I'd just like to say... playing with Polly's alternate costume is the best thing. He looks so much better in his street clothes, even if they aren't courtroom appropriate. XD

OceanBlue

Wow, the fourth case.
I just finished it. Phoenix Wright is such a boss. The writing really makes you feel how much more experience and composure Phoenix has compared to Apollo and Athena.
But what? WHAT?!

Guess Who

Banned
Really frustrated with case 2. Not because I can't figure out, but because I've figured it out already and I'm waiting for the game to catch up with me. Spoilers.

God dammit Apollo, no, the guy in the Tenma Taro costume (WHO IS OBVIOUSLY FLORENT BTW way to not bring up this guy's existence at all so far) didn't fly out the window. He just threw the costume out the window. Then he threatened Filch if Filch said anything, because Filch saw him do it, which is why Filch is so scared. And the security cameras didn't catch anything suspicious because Florent works there and by the time he walked into the camera's view he was no longer disguised as the Tenma Taro.

Tizoc

GAF...

First off I need help with a puzzle of sorts in Case 2:
I have a map infront of me and need to pinpoint where Tenman Taro was hiding in, where should I put the marker on?

I won't be home for another 9 hours.
...but my brother is leaving for his workplace in a nearby city tonight and won't be back for 5-6 days.

It's bad enough I'm away from this for 9+ Hours, but 5 days without these lovable characters is too much if it ever happens T^T

God dammit Apollo, no, the guy in the Tenma Taro costume (WHO IS OBVIOUSLY FLORENT BTW way to not bring up this guy's existence at all so far) didn't fly out the window. He just threw the costume out the window. Then he threatened Filch if Filch said anything, because Filch saw him do it, which is why Filch is so scared. And the security cameras didn't catch anything suspicious because Florent works there and by the time he walked into the camera's view he was no longer disguised as the Tenma Taro.

Wait, is this day one or the trial or day two?

In other news, just started case 3.
OH HI KLAVIER.

spiritfox

Really frustrated with case 2. Not because I can't figure out, but because I've figured it out already and I'm waiting for the game to catch up with me. Spoilers.

Actually...

Nvm too spoilery.

Shahadan

Bwahaha it's not as simple as that :p

Shengar

Finishing Rise from the Ashes tempted me to play Dual Destinies. Must...finished....JFA...and T&T....

"Me, Myself, and I" no better arc words ever said by any culprit
Of course, barred Godot's last word to Maya
I hope AA5 have somthing similar

SuperSah

Banned
Questions:

I have never played an AA game before, will I fully enjoy it? I did enjoy the demo a lot.

Is it worth trading some games in for an eShop code for it?

Why am I dirt poor?

Questions:

I have never played an AA game before, will I fully enjoy it? I did enjoy the demo a lot.

Why am I dirt poor?
As most people would say, to get the most enjoyment out of the series, it's best to start at the beginning. (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney)

The series has a very long history of character interaction and plot that is only fully realized if you play the games in order.

SuperSah

Banned
As most people would say, to get the most enjoyment out of the series, it's best to start at the beginning. (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney)

The series has a very long history of character interaction and plot that is only fully realized if you play the games in order.

:(

SuperSah

Banned
Most of the games are very easily obtainable.

You can get the entire series (minus AAI2), starting with the first one, on Amazon, brand new, for less than $20 each. (Plus there are WiiWare and iOS versions available for the first three.)

I'd have to trade in to get AADD, so I haven't got any room to buy iOS/DS versions.

I guess I'll leave it for now.

I'd have to trade in to get AADD, so I haven't got any room to buy iOS/DS versions.

I guess I'll leave it for now.
Well, if you are that hard up for cash, you probably should wait regardless.

But when you do decide to come back, starting with the first game is highly recommended.

ramyeon

Questions:

Why am I dirt poor?
Yes, you will.

I've only played the first few cases of the first game and I'm loving this one. I'm not lost on the story although there are throwbacks to stuff I might not know, but it's not confusing at all. I'm sure you might get a little more out of it with prior experience to all the games before BUT that doesn't mean it isn't heaps of fun regardless.

I'm looking forward to going back and playing the older games after this one :)

Yes, you will.

I've only played the first few cases of the first game and I'm loving this one. I'm not lost on the story although there are throwbacks to stuff I might not know, but it's not confusing at all. I'm sure you might get a little more out of it with prior experience to all the games before BUT that doesn't mean it isn't heaps of fun regardless.

You can certainly enjoy the game as a stand alone, (as you can with any game in the series), but he asked if he will "fully" enjoy it, which you would not without the previous experience of the other games.

A huge part of the appeal of the series is the characters, and their journeys and interactions with each other. Starting with this game would spoil a great deal of that.

protonion

Second trial of case 2.

The game is so good! I don't know if it will reach the epicness of AA3's final case but so far it is the most consistently great game in the series.

Every single character that was intoduced (and they were plenty) was amazing.
In previous games I was cursing at the appearances of Lotta, Larry, oldbag and that pervert doctor. And many others were totally forgettable.

And the animations... I notice a new detail in every loop. Many times I've missed the text because I keep looking at the characters.

Also it the hardest. I've had a game over in each of the first 2 cases and I haven't finished the second yet. In all the previous games I don't think I had more than 4 combined and only during the final cases.

ramyeon

You can certainly enjoy the game as a stand alone, (as you can with any game in the series), but he asked if he will "fully" enjoy it, which you would not without the previous experience of the other games.

A huge part of the appeal of the series is the characters, and their journeys and interactions with each other. Starting with this game would spoil a great deal of that.
I disagree, I'm enjoying the characters a lot and I think I'll have just as much fun starting here and then going back to see their full backstory.

I think this is definitely a fine starting point as many reviewers have mentioned, and I think in a way it's been designed this way.

I disagree, I'm enjoying the characters a lot and I think I'll have just as much fun starting here and then going back to see their full backstory.

I think this is definitely a fine starting point as many reviewers have mentioned, and I think in a way it's been designed this way.
If you say so, but I think it might be a bit premature to be saying that since you actually haven't played the previous games. Literally by just knowing the basis of AA5, you've spoiled numerous major plot twists in previous games.

But I'm not trying to discourage you in any way, I do hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of the other games when you play them. It's just that I liken these games to a series of books, and you're starting with book 7.

ramyeon

If you say so, but I think it might be a bit premature to be saying that since you actually haven't played the previous games. Literally by just knowing the basis of AA5, you've spoiled numerous major plot twists in previous games.

But I do hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of the other games when you play them, I'm not trying to discourage you in any way. It's just that I liken these games to a series of books, and you're starting with book 7.
But you are trying to discourage me lol. We're going to have to agree to disagree here.

SuperSah

Banned
Well, if you are that hard up for cash, you probably should wait regardless.

But when you do decide to come back, starting with the first game is highly recommended.

Yes, you will.

Mixed messages all over!

I'll do some research and see what other players think.

But you are trying to discourage me lol. We're going to have to agree to disagree here.
I mean that you've already made your choice, so I hope you can make the best of it.

I would never try to turn people away from the series since I love it so much, I just want newcomers to get the most they can out of it and go in with the most information possible.

ramyeon

I mean that you've already made your choice, so I hope you can make the best of it.

I would never try to turn people away from the series since I love it so much, I just want newcomers to get the most they can out of it and go in with the most information possible.
I think at the end of the day this is the first game on a new platform so they've taken that into consideration with how the story is told, as to introduce new fans to the series. I'm sure there's bits and pieces I'd appreciate more having followed the whole series, but I don't really think playing this game first is going to sour the experience at all. If anything it's made me more curious about the backstory and the characters' pasts.

vladdamad

All I want to know is if the final case is as at least as good as the previous final cases in the franchise.

For me, the ranking of the final cases, despite them all being fantastic, are as follows:

1>3>4>2

Haven't played AA Investigations. 2 is so low purely because the main twist in that one is the same as the one in a very, very famous short story (for those that are interested, that short story is
Witness for the Prosecution by Agatha Christie
). The execution was good, and it's still an amazing case, but just not as good as the others.

spiritfox

You will miss out on a lot of small references and in-jokes, but the game gives you enough context and information that you can enjoy this game on its own. But I still recommend you play the games in order to fully enjoy the series.

I think at the end of the day this is the first game on a new platform so they've taken that into consideration with how the story is told, as to introduce new fans to the series. I'm sure there's bits and pieces I'd appreciate more having followed the whole series, but I don't really think playing this game first is going to sour the experience at all. If anything it's made me more curious about the backstory and the characters' pasts.
It won't sour AA5 because you don't know what your missing. It's just that you'd be having a much richer experience with the game had you came in playing the previous entries.

Now the older games might be a different story for you since you'll be aware of major plot points already.

But anyway, we're just going in circles now. As I mentioned before, I do hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of the series as a whole. But if anyone asks me where they should start with this series, I will always recommend from the very beginning.

SuperSah

Banned
You will miss out on a lot of small references and in-jokes, but the game gives you enough context and information that you can enjoy this game on its own. But I still recommend you play the games in order to fully enjoy the series.

Alright..

I'll try and get the money for them soon.

Shahadan

Questions:

Why am I dirt poor?

Play AA5, you'll get to the others after that. Doesn't matter. What matters is to not play AA3 before AA2 because one case would lose much of its epicness.
The rest is just the usual "but play the 6 others games in order before like I did it's so much better that way!". It's not necessary.

Play AA5, you'll get to the others after that. Doesn't matter. What matters is to not play AA3 before AA2 because one case would lose much of its epicness.
The rest is just the usual "but play the 6 others games in order before like I did it's so much better that way!". It's not necessary.
You truly think that playing this game, especially before the likes of AA3 and AJ would not impact the enjoyment of those games in anyway? (Especially with your caveat of not playing AA3 before AA2, implying it's the only situation in which that applies?)

This is hardly some arbitrary bit of nostalgia, it's a pretty legitimate concern IMO, and I think many fans would agree.

Nohar

I was a little disappointed by the first two cases... But this third one is shaping into something really interesting!

Shahadan

You truly think that playing this game, especially before the likes of AA3 and AJ would not impact the enjoyment of those games in anyway?

This is hardly some arbitrary bit of nostalgia, it's legitimate reasoning.

No, I don't think so. At worst guy will be surprised by the old graphics and old UI, but story wise it doesn't matter. There aren't spoilers in AA5 as far as I know, not even direct references, and not much difference in how the games are played.

I know a few people who started with AA4 and loved AA3 a lot more, and this one was more problematic because of hobo phoenix and being exposed to Apollo first.

I'm not saying it's like the "Play Pokemon Red first!" nonsense, just that it is much less important to know things that happened in past games. I think AA5 does it the right way, they obviously remembered a lot of years have passed since the last games and it's kinda also built with newcomers in mind.

Also people will not agree with me but I think making people play the others games first has very little chance to lead them to play AA5. they'll esaily get distracted by other things before even finishing AA3, or be fed up with the formula. AA5 is new and shiny and needs sales, and it's noob friendly.

No, I don't think so. At worst guy will be surprised by the old graphics and old UI, but story wise it doesn't matter. There aren't spoilers in AA5 as far as I know, not even direct references, and not much difference in how the games are played.

I know a few people who started with AA4 and loved AA3 a lot more, and this one was more problematic because of hobo phoenix and being exposed to Apollo first.

I'm not saying it's like the "Play Pokemon Red first!" nonsense, just that it is much less important to know things that happened in past games. I think AA5 does it the right way, they obviously remembered a lot of years have passed since the last games and it's kinda also built with newcomers in mind.

Also people will not agree with me but I think making people play the others games first has very little chance to lead them to play AA5. they'll esaily get distracted by other things before even finishing AA3, or be fed up with the formula. AA5 is new and shiny and needs sales, and it's noob friendly.
But this isn't true. Literally just the presence and state of some characters in AA5 are spoilers.

They won't know it when they are playing AA5 because they have nothing to compare it to, but they'll realize it when they go to play previous games.

I think I might not be getting my point across clearly. While I certainly think the enjoyment of AA5 is partially hampered by not playing the previous games, I think the greater issue is anyone who starts with AA5 (or anything in the middle, really) will be negatively impacting their enjoyment of the previous games, should they choose to go back and play them. (Which many have expressed interest in doing so.)

If someone is solely interested in AA5, then of course they can play it as stand alone game and have a good experience, but should they ever choose to pursue previous entries (which is a strong possibility by the very nature of this series), they will have already ruined many things that are crucial to getting the maximum amount of enjoyment out of the series as a whole.

And while I agree that AA5 needs all the sales it can get, I am very hesitant to promote that at the expense of the individual's overarching experience with the series, which I personally think is very important to these types of games.

Anyway, I'm sorry if someone is typing up a response to my last post, but I really need to go to sleep.

I just hope that anyone that chooses to play this series gets the most enjoyment out of it that they can because it's so awesome. And now, bed.

Shahadan

But this isn't true. Literally just the presence and state of some characters in AA5 are spoilers.

They won't know it when they are playing AA5 because they have nothing to compare it to, but they'll realize it when they go to play previous games.

I think I might not be getting my point across clearly. While I certainly think the enjoyment of AA5 is partially hampered by not playing the previous games, I think the greater issue is anyone who starts with AA5 (or anything in the middle, really) will be negatively impacting their enjoyment of the previous games, should they choose to go back and play them. (Which many have expressed interest in doing so.)

If someone is solely interested in AA5, then of course they can play it as stand alone game and have a good experience, but should they ever choose to pursue previous entries (which is a strong possibility by the very nature of this series), they will have already ruined many things that are crucial to getting the maximum amount of enjoyment out of the series as a whole.

I don't see what essential elements or characters would be lessened by AA5, could you tell me what you're referring to? Maybe I'm overlooking things.
Besides the possible emotional attachment to phoenix or apollo (and his game wasn't doing him favors) I don't see it. Even the rare cameos of past characters for now (I'm on Case 4) are just fan service and don't tell you anything besides "hey I know you from somewhere!". I don't think it's essential.

Also I would agree for your point about past games if we were talking about any other game in the series, but I think besides AA 1, AA5 is the best place to start. That said maybe Case 5 proves me wrong.
For now there are no ties and the only obscure references would fly over the head of newcomers without them even noticing. I think even some reviews said the game is pretty self contained.

Tizoc

These games sure don't loose their value do they.

Wanted to start from the Beginning but £20 used for each copy still :O

If you have an iPad that runs iOS 6 at least, you can get it via iTunes. They're ports of the NDS ver.
The games don't run on iOS 7 sadly atm.

ramyeon

If you have an iPad that runs iOS 6 at least, you can get it via iTunes. They're ports of the NDS ver.
The games don't run on iOS 7 sadly atm.
Still not working with iOS7? Well that's lazy, probably only needs a minor bug fix too. Shame, that's how I was hoping to play through the first 3.

Ban Puncher

Ace Attorney 5 doesn't get a physical release but Lost Planet 3 and Remember Me do?

I sentence Capcom to an entire generation of irrelevancy, no parole.

Top Bottom