• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

demidar

Does anyone else feel that when you get a Game Over, being able to retry with a full penalty gauge at the spot you failed makes the game a bit easy?

I kind of liked the tension of being on my last one or two strikes and hoping for the best, lest I had to reload.

Yeah, knowing that failing doesn't really have a punishment removed a lot of the tension. I want to feel like I'm on the ropes.

Don't let it be a
SNAAAAAAAKE!

You got me there, game. I laughed.

It got me too. I wonder if it was in the Japanese version as well.

Sorian

Banned
Does anyone else feel that when you get a Game Over, being able to retry with a full penalty gauge at the spot you failed makes the game a bit easy?

I kind of liked the tension of being on my last one or two strikes and hoping for the best, lest I had to reload.

I've heard of this faulty game over mechanic but I can't actually comment on it. I don't think my bar has fallen below 50% during any of the cases and I'm halfway through case 4 and this is coming from someone who save scummed the shit out of the original trilogy. I don't know if the game itself is just easier these days or if I've replayed the ace attorney games so many times that I'm starting to have crazy thoughts like Phoenix, Apollo, and Athena.

Experiencing the characters from different angles makes things exciting as well and I love how much of a true team the Wright Agency is finally becoming. It's made me love Apollo a lot more as well having to see his reactions from the perspective of someone else, since he's the one who is instantly responsible for the "not this shit again" reactions.

Case 3 spoilers in terms of who is on the defense team and in what role
Apollo being the side kick for case 3 was golden. He seemed so laissez-faire about the whole thing and it was awesome seeing him be able to kick back while still having priceless reactions to all of the usual Ace Attoryney madness

jiggles

Banned
I'm still at the investigation phase at the start of case 2. It's wonderful, but my enjoyment has been slightly tarnished by the translation. I count 4 glaring mistakes already.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Does anyone else think L-Belle looks like Frank Miller's depiction of the Joker in The Dark Knight Returns.

Its all I can see.

He reminds me of Dio Brando.

Also...

I was thinking Rex Kyubi's history as wrestler-turned-mayor reminded me of Jesse Ventura before I realized Capcom's Haggar did it first

LAA

Just beat the 2nd case of AA5!
(The one after the (Similar) case in the demo

Was nearly disappointed with how case 2 was going to be, as it seemed the obvious suspect was put in my face quite early on, however there were still a lot of twists/turns I didnt expect so was made up with that, loved that defeat animation at the end too! :D

Saiyan-Rox

Weren't there some Wii ports of the original trilogy? Pretty sure they were relatively cheap digitally.

If you have an iPad that runs iOS 6 at least, you can get it via iTunes. They're ports of the NDS ver.
The games don't run on iOS 7 sadly atm.

No apple products unfortunately, not to keen on them or IOS. and yeah they're on Wiiware 1,000 points each which is great but I'd need a wiimote xD

Sorian

Banned
I'm still at the investigation phase at the start of case 2. It's wonderful, but my enjoyment has been slightly tarnished by the translation. I count 4 glaring mistakes already.

I have bad news for you. That is the first 4 mistakes out of 100.

jschreier

The best thing this game does in my opinion is how we're jumping between a perfect mix of attorneys - all getting equal spot in the limelight. Athena is probably the best female sidekick the series has had, and being able to perceive each character from a different set of eyes makes the characters truly come alive. You've got Phoenix as the mentor guy who is setting an inspiration, Athena as the spunky newcomer and Apollo as the deadpan every man.

Experiencing the characters from different angles makes things exciting as well and I love how much of a true team the Wright Agency is finally becoming. It's made me love Apollo a lot more as well having to see his reactions from the perspective of someone else, since he's the one who is instantly responsible for the "not this shit again" reactions.

I hope that the series can continue in this direction in the future, and I also hope Athena becomes a permanent mainstay in the AA series. She's this close to becoming my favorite character.
Agreed. 100%. I saw a review list "not enough Phoenix" as a negative, too. :/

pariah164

Everyone is seeing typos and mistakes... I have seen none and I'm 2 cases in. Maybe I'm immune? I kid, I know how unobservant I can be.

spiritfox

Don't let it be a
SNAAAAAAAKE!

You got me there, game. I laughed.

Man Miriam is just there for all the
Tactical Espionage Action
references. And I love it.

Case 3:
That statue recreation at the end
really shows how good the move to 3D has been. That would not have been done as well with the previous games, and looked as good.

Fey

Banned
Maybe it's because I'm just not paying enough attention, but the first two cases were so hard/annoying for me to follow. x____x With the exception of the 3rd and 5th cases of AAI, this has never really happened to me with the series.

Like, could someone please clear a few things up for me? *_* [case 2]
I could not for the life of me understand why the true identity of the nine-tales wrestling guy was so important (like, why did everyone have such dramatic responses when it was first thought it was the victim?) and why L'Belle was trying so hard not to get Tenma not to admit it was him. -____- Was it because "Tenma" being behind his mask would allow the possibility of someone posing as him? And if Tenma admitted he was the nine-tales fox, then his daughter wouldn't try to hide his secret and testify that's why she thought she was talking to her father? But still, how does that point any fingers as L'Belle, and why would the defendant's and his daughter's words be trusted? My initial thought was that Tenma being the wrestler would mean that the white hair might be someone else's, but that ended up being the case's "trump card" and wasn't investigated/pursued right away. And Tenma didn't want it revealed that the Tenma Taro was actually gold because ...? It would be bad for his rep? I understood WHY L'Belle blackmailed Tenma and wanted the towns to merge, but why did the appearance of the nine-tales wrestling guy boost the opposition to this idea? Plus, I can't really understand the way the murder happened. So their tea was drugged, they fell asleep, L'Belle came in, murdered the alderman, put Tenma into the Forbidden Chamber place, took his clothes/mask, sat in his chair, screamed and confessed to Jinxie, opened the Forbidden Chamber (which is when Filch ran out in his costume), put Tenma back on his chair, and then left? I'm assuming when Tenma was put back, this is when he swallowed the key? And when did L'Belle hit him on the head with the statue?

And yeah, lots of typos/missing words in Case 2. "Are sure about this, Athena?" made me laugh though, so that's excused.

miksar

Case 3 Trial 2: that moment when
Athena asked whose blood stains were on the pottery and Fulbright came to the stand totally confused
was priceless, I burst out laughing uncontrollably.

spiritfox

Maybe it's because I'm just not paying enough attention, but the first two cases were so hard/annoying for me to follow. x____x With the exception of the 3rd and 5th cases of AAI, this has never really happened to me with the series.

Like, could someone please clear a few things up for me? *_* [case 2]
I could not for the life of me understand why the true identity of the nine-tales wrestling guy was so important (like, why did everyone have such dramatic responses when it was first thought it was the victim?) and why L'Belle was trying so hard not to get Tenma not to admit it was him. -____- Was it because "Tenma" being behind his mask would allow the possibility of someone posing as him? And if Tenma admitted he was the nine-tales fox, then his daughter wouldn't try to hide his secret and testify that's why she thought she was talking to her father? But still, how does that point any fingers as L'Belle, and why would the defendant's and his daughter's words be trusted? My initial thought was that Tenma being the wrestler would mean that the white hair might be someone else's, but that ended up being the case's "trump card" and wasn't investigated/pursued right away. And Tenma didn't want it revealed that the Tenma Taro was actually gold because ...? It would be bad for his rep? I understood WHY L'Belle blackmailed Tenma and wanted the towns to merge, but why did the appearance of the nine-tales wrestling guy boost the opposition to this idea? Plus, I can't really understand the way the murder happened. So their tea was drugged, they fell asleep, L'Belle came in, murdered the alderman, put Tenma into the Forbidden Chamber place, took his clothes/mask, sat in his chair, screamed and confessed to Jinxie, opened the Forbidden Chamber (which is when Filch ran out in his costume), put Tenma back on his chair, and then left? I'm assuming when Tenma was put back, this is when he swallowed the key? And when did L'Belle hit him on the head with the statue?

And yeah, lots of typos/missing words in Case 2. "Are sure about this, Athena?" made me laugh though, so that's excused.

Rex and Tenma wanted to hide the truth behind Tenma Taro so the townsfolk would not make attempts to steal it (even if it had been stolen already). So they created the legend of Tenma Taro, and a set of rules that the townsfolk are indoctrinated from birth, so that they would not be curious and find out the true meaning behind Tenma Taro.

Nine-Tails was openly announcing his opposition to the idea of merger, and he was defeating all the other wrestlers from Tenma Town (the town that wants the merger), so he was like a champion that the people from Nine-Tails Vale can rally under. As the game states, the wrestler's identity is his life, and to reveal it would mean death (of his career). Nine-Tails being the alderman would give Mayor Tenma a motive to kill Rex, and remove the champion that the opposition are rallying under. However, if Nine-Tails was Mayor Tenma instead, that would explain how Jinxie mistook L'Belle for her father (she knew her father was None-Tails), and the white hair, which people assumed as Rex's, would become a huge contradiction (as Temna had black hair). Then all it takes would be a DNA verification to identify whose hair it was. They were going to do that when L'Belle confessed.

And yes, that was basically how the murder happened. The key swallowing is a bit confusing, and the game does not really clarify what really happened.

R.I.P

Finished case 2: Overall I enjoyed it, though I can see how someone who isn't interested in Japanese mythology stuff could find it pretty dull.
The twists towards the end made up for both knowing who the killer is and the middle portion of the case dragging on a bit.
I really liked the environments during the investigations, and it's a real shame you can't investigate every area.Both the rooms you could investigate were nice though,
and the forbidden room especially looked really cool. The logic thing used near the end of the case, where you go through the important facts of the case to find the decisive evidence was also a nice addition, hope it's used again in later cases!

Really hyped for case 3 now with all the positive impressions about it, will start it later tonight!

Gartooth

Absolutely loving the game so far, currently on Investigation Day 1 of Case 3. The game seems much longer than other Ace Attorney's I was a bit surprised how long each Case has been so far. I also love all the callbacks to past games in the series, it truly feels like a culmination of both the original trilogy and AA4, as well as introducing new characters and elements to the series. (Athena, Simon, etc.) In that sense I enjoy the game heavily because it feels like a culmination of everything in the series up until now while taking it in a new direction, in which I think AA4 failed a little bit because it felt like too much of a disconnect from the first three games.

I do have some minor qualms so far. Firstly, the game is full of grammatical errors, this is probably the worst one out of the series, even worse than AA2's. Its not so much misspelled words, but rather using wrong words in place of those that should be there. (for example, just now I saw the word "any" when it should have been "an") I'm wondering why Capcom didn't take the time to have people proofread the game's script, I can understand having a few here and there but not to the extent where I seem to spot a new one at least every hour.

Also as much as I love playing as different leads, I'm a bit worried this might hamper the gameplay experience a little bit. For example, it's cool they brought back Apollo's gameplay mechanic from AA4, but it seems like it was brought back primarily as fanservice and to respect continuity rather than a core part of the game given that Apollo won't be playable in every situation, meaning the chance of seeing the bracelet in action more than 3 times in the entire game is pretty slim.

Another thing I'm a bit confused about is related to the story. I'm not sure if it is a plothole or if it will be explained later, but [case 3]
how the heck is Athena going to defend Juniper in court in case 3? Case 3 takes place prior to case 1, and in a situation similar to this one Juniper was the primary suspect of murder. However in case 1 Athena lost her cool and Nick and to step in and defend Junie otherwise Athena would have blew it, makes me wonder how she will pull this one off especially because she is going up against Blackquill. (Guessing Apollo will essentially have to do the thinking for her)

Sorian

Banned
Another thing I'm a bit confused about is related to the story. I'm not sure if it is a plothole or if it will be explained later, but [case 3]
how the heck is Athena going to defend Juniper in court in case 3? Case 3 takes place prior to case 1, and in a situation similar to this one Juniper was the primary suspect of murder. However in case 1 Athena lost her cool and Nick and to step in and defend Junie otherwise Athena would have blew it, makes me wonder how she will pull this one off especially because she is going up against Blackquill. (Guessing Apollo will essentially have to do the thinking for her)

I am spoiling the answer but you can read it, its not anything you shouldn't have realized already.
She froze up in case 1 because she was alone on the defense's side. She is perfectly fine leading up a case, she just can't be up there alone. That's her issue. During her freeze up, her internal monologue makes mention of this when she says something along the lines of how she has only ever been in charge of one case before but she at least had someone there with her,

CorvoSol

The best thing this game does in my opinion is how we're jumping between a perfect mix of attorneys - all getting equal spot in the limelight. Athena is probably the best female sidekick the series has had, and being able to perceive each character from a different set of eyes makes the characters truly come alive. You've got Phoenix as the mentor guy who is setting an inspiration, Athena as the spunky newcomer and Apollo as the deadpan every man.

I hope that the series can continue in this direction in the future, and I also hope Athena becomes a permanent mainstay in the AA series. She's this close to becoming my favorite character.

I really agree. I was kind of wary at first as to how they would balance having three lawyers, but it seems to be working out. Nick is mentor, Apollo is filling his old role of Heroic Loser, and Athena is the spunky newcomer.

And I'm really taken with Athena. Her character is really great and a breath of fresh air after the kind of really depressing mood that was AA4. She's definitely passed Trucy and Kay, and now I have to decide whether or not she can reach Ema's level. No one can topple Maya, though.

Why the hell haven't I seen Maya yet? Oh well, I've just started Case 3, so here's hoping.

Also CASE 2 END SPOILERS
Whatever that brain blast thing Apollo did at the end was SO COOL.

Sendou

Heading towards the end of case 2. Why are people so negative about this case? Has been very amusing so far.

Although I should note that people may have been more positive about it recently.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

A little bit yeah.

OceanBlue

Not going to lie, case 3 really shows Junie with quite the perky breasts. You'd never have guessed it after case 1.

Lol. I couldn't tell because Scuttlebutt was always in her box, but did they reuse the same body model for Juniper and Scuttlebutt? It kinda seemed like it to me.

Sorian

Banned
Lol. I couldn't tell because Scuttlebutt was always in her box, but did they reuse the same body model for Juniper and Scuttlebutt? It kinda seemed like it to me.

I thought the same thing
there was even a point where I was thinking that Junie was Scuttlebutt because of the similar body but it just seems they got lazy and had the two girls wearing the same outfit have the same body type
. Looking forward to all of the Junie x Scuttlebutt fan pictures to counter balance all of that Wright x Edgeworth out there.

Gartooth

I am spoiling the answer but you can read it, its not anything you shouldn't have realized already.
She froze up in case 1 because she was alone on the defense's side. She is perfectly fine leading up a case, she just can't be up there alone. That's her issue. During her freeze up, her internal monologue makes mention of this when she says something along the lines of how she has only ever been in charge of one case before but she at least had someone there with her,

Right, forgot about that. Thanks for the refresh!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Athena wins the sidekick award on the basis that it doesn't make me feel like a glorified babysitter.

Nohar

Just finished case 3, and it was MUCH better than the first two cases.

Case 1 was okay, but case 2 really disappointed me, being very confusing (and not in the good sense of "confusing") and challenging a lot my willing suspension of disbelief (SPOILERS CASE 2:
Really? Jinxie was unable to realize that the man talking to her wasn't her father? COME ON! Him and L'Belle have completly different builds and voices! And, no, that "mask alters the voice" explanation didn't convince me in the slightest). And I'm not even talking about all that revolve around the forbidden chamber, with a thief which could very well have been stucked inside since the vent is incredibly hard to reach, and that part about the key confused me a lot... How was L'Belle able to open that door again?
).

So, yeah, it's actually a relief that case 3 was good, especially after case 2.

Also: yeah for a sidekick who is actually useful! (No offense, Maya, you saved the day numerous times (when it wasn't actually Mia doing that), I won't deny that, but you weren't a lawyer). I really love Athena's character so far.

On a side note: that game does have some weird typos (not much, but there are some). I wonder how they missed some of them (notable the missing "you").

Gartooth

I feel like Athena baysits Apollo more than the other way around :p

BUT NO ONE BABYSITS PHOENIX WRIGHT BECAUSE HE IS NOW A BADASS!

I actually like Apollo more in this game than in AA4, though its more that he is his own man this time instead of having PW/Trucy/Klavier solve everything for him. I'm glad that his personality stayed the same so far, I was a bit worried that his injuries would make him more melodramatic and cause a big character shift, but that thankfully doesn't seem to be the case.

Also I guess I just hadn't realized it, but man I agree Phoenix Wright is a boss (literally!) in this game. It's amazing to see how far he has come, starting as a rookie attorney himself, only to see him become a legend and start training other rookie lawyers. This is actually the first time in the series that I really get the sense that Wright is the head of his own law firm, considering this time there is actually more than one lawyer tackling cases there!

CrazyDude

Typos and what not don't bother me since my mind seems to automatically correct them to the point where I don't realize there were mistakes.

Sendou

I actually like Apollo more in this game than in AA4, though I'm not exactly sure why considering his character hasn't changed all to much so far. Maybe because he just seems more competent in this game, though that's partially because the supporting cast of AA4 practically solved the cases for you.

You know I didn't like Trucy at all in AA4. But with the new animations she is just too goddamn adorable not to like.

Gartooth

You know I didn't like Trucy at all in AA4. But with the new animations she is just too goddamn adorable not to like.

Oh yeah definitely, I can't believe how good the animations are in this game. As soon as I saw Trucy's animations it immediately reminded me of her animations in AA4, and its incredible how faithful they are to the original. In fact I think she looks better here than in AA4 by a longshot.

Sorian

Banned
I actually like Apollo more in this game than in AA4, though its more that he is his own man this time instead of having PW/Trucy/Klavier solve everything for him. I'm glad that his personality stayed the same so far, I was a bit worried that his injuries would make him more melodramatic and cause a big character shift, but that thankfully doesn't seem to be the case.

Also I guess I just hadn't realized it, but man I agree Phoenix Wright is a boss (literally!) in this game. It's amazing to see how far he has come, starting as a rookie attorney himself, only to see him become a legend and start training other rookie lawyers. This is actually the first time in the series that I really get the sense that Wright is the head of his own law firm, considering this time there is actually more than one lawyer tackling cases there!

Same, Case 2 may not have been strong in content but it really showed that Apollo is deserving of his badge. He never really had to solve anything big on his own in his game but here we really got to shine. His character is still the "Heroic Loser" as someone so aptly put it earlier in the thread which is why I still say Athena is baysitting him but he has done a fine job of coming into his own in the game so far.

As for Phoenix, it's really cool to see that he has grown into the Mia role that we never really got to see. Now let's hope the second case in the next game doesn't open with phoenix's skull bashed in.....

Typos and what not don't bother me since my mind seems to automatically correct them to the point where I don't realize there were mistakes.

My brain has this annoying habit of filling in the incorrect or missing word and then at the end of the sentence saying "hey, you noticed the error right?" So I see that they are there but they aren't bothering me. I'm not going to complain, I'd rather have a quick localization over 0 errors. This game is absolutely still playable so I'm good with it.
Make it up to us with AAI2

Let's spread a rumor that says if you make it through the whole game without making any mistakes, AAI2 will unlock in the main menu

NotLiquid

So apparently Case 3 is good, eh? Almost done with C2, so I can't wait for it.

The case seems really good so far from what I've played. I like the rather unconventional setting even though it's one I'd have expected the series to tackle at this point.

On another note I just found out that Gigidigi (Hiimdaisy) really doesn't seem to be liking the game at all. Bit of a bummer to hear.

miksar

I was waiting for someone to finally make
a direct MGS reference
and it happened at the end of Case 3. What's with all the Konami references?

Sorian

Banned
On another note I just found out that Gigidigi (Hiimdaisy) really doesn't seem to be liking the game at all. Bit of a bummer to hear.

That's.....odd to hear. I wonder what the complaints are. Maybe he is still in case 2. I was fine with the case a part from a particular unexplained occurance but I could see how the case could become the next carnival case.

NotLiquid

That's.....odd to hear. I wonder what the complaints are. Maybe he is still in case 2. I was fine with the case a part from a particular unexplained occurance but I could see how the case could become the next carnival case.

Gigidigi's a she :p

I think she's already passed the fourth case though. I recall reading on her personal tumblr that she was really taken aback by the Case 3 twist where it turns out that
Robin is a girl.
Other than that her complaints seem to mostly be that the game is full of embarrassing moments and that the cases are incredibly convoluted.

GSR

From what I've seen on Twitter it seems like the case backstories and logic just aren't working for her, and the (case 3 spoiler)
twist with Robin came off pretty offensive

CrazyDude

Who's Hiimdaisy? :p

Dcriz2J.png

Made a bunch of comics on various game

Sorian

Banned
Gigidigi's a she :p

I think she's already passed the fourth case though. I recall reading on her personal tumblr that she was really taken aback by the Case 3 twist where it turns out that
Robin is a girl.
Other than that her complaints seem to mostly be that the game is full of embarrassing moments and that the cases are incredibly convoluted.

Damn it, I was typing he and then thought to myself "this is going to end up being a wrong guess." And i would still only argue that Case 2 was extremely convoluted (I would also argue that the series is built on convuluted cases "Here's a picture of a woman flying over a firey bridge!") but from what I've seen otherwise, everything seems to make full sense.

From what I've seen on Twitter it seems like the case backstories and logic just aren't working for her, and the (case 3 spoiler)
twist with Robin came off pretty offensive

I thought the twist was getting into fairly offensive when my thought process was saying that it was a man cross-dressing and how the reactions were but once it was revealed she was actually just a girl surpressing her gender for her parents it came off as no different than Naoto in Persona 4 which really isn't offensive at all. I could see claims that Apollo was kind of dickish when he thought it was a man that wanted to wear dresses but thats just being realistic. You can't expect everyone to be super understanding of things that they may have never been exposed to growing up

Not to say any of her feelings on the game are wrong, just throwing my two cents at her two cents.

Top Bottom