• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Wading in against by better judgement; just got into case 2.

LIGHT case 2 spoilers (day one):

Something of note: The Amazing Nine-Tails is the new Steel Samurai to me. So goofy.

Also, APOLLO JUSTICE: STOP BREAKING KAYFABE

And take more judo throws thx

tldr Apollo is still a git

Sorian

Banned
Wading in against by better judgement; just got into case 2.

LIGHT case 2 spoilers (day one):

Something of note: The Amazing Nine-Tails is the new Steel Samurai to me. So goofy.

Also, APOLLO JUSTICE: STOP BREAKING KAYFABE

And take more judo throws thx

tldr Apollo is still a git

He'll be less of a git by the end of that case, at least IMO. Can't say no to more judo throws tho.

The very ending of case 2 was pretty good, but other than that, it may have been one of the worst in the series. Too many red herrings, and unlikely events, and the mythology was really not that interesting. The beginning of the third case seems much better...

The cases of the previous games have kind of blurred and mixed in my mind, but I remember my favourite case being about the two men in a boat on a foggy lake, and one of the men was shot. I think I want to replay that game again after this one in order to see how it holds up...

Sorian

Banned
The very ending of case 2 was pretty good, but other than that, it may have been one of the worst in the series. Too many red herrings, and unlikely events, and the mythology was really not that interesting. The beginning of the third case seems much better...

The cases of the previous games have kind of blurred and mixed in my mind, but I remember my favourite case being about the two men in a boat on a foggy lake, and one of the men was shot. I think I want to replay that game again after this one in order to see how it holds up...

I'm pretty sure you are talking about the final case of the original AA? Yeah, it still holds up.

Edit: The other original cases from that game really don't hold up IMO though. This is of course not speaking of 1-5, the bonus case. That shit is magic right there.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Anyone know if there's a better image capture anywhere of the pose in my avatar?

Also, anyone know what's up with the transparency with my current avatar? Opening it up in my image editor I can see the alpha channel just fine...

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. Image was one pixel off, so the website rescaled it and it lost the alpha in the process.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, the end of Case 2 turned it up a notch. Liked it in the end but I can see why people are so mixed on it.

Case 3 sounds like something special reading some of the reactions here, lol.

Shahadan

Oh god that last case...
I've been fooled :lol:

Case 2 forgiven. Masterful entry. I really love how the main theme and overall storyline are focused and what they're trying to achieve.
It felt more cohesive to me. It had some recurring ideas behind all along.

A lot of thought has been poured into this one, imo.

Some things feel a bit off as if written by someone else (probably because it is the case) but I'm willing to accept it the way it is.

FPEPvBk.jpg

Bring on AA6

Leeness

Like Blackquill so far...but his ponytail is just hideous. He'd be a much better design if they just chopped that shit off.

As much as I complain about the designs and anime cutscenes, I am really enjoying the game so far haha. Which is more than I can say for AAI. By the second case in AAI, I was pretty much furious with how bad it was haha.

So definitely an improvement for this team.

Sorian

Banned
Oh god that last case...

Case 2 forgiven. Masterful entry. I really love how the main theme and overall storyline are focused and what they're trying to achieve.

Some things feel a bit off as if written by someone else (probably because it is the case) but I'm willing to accept it the way it is.

http://i.imgur.com/FPEPvBk.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I don't know much yet since I'm only in Case 4 but yeah, I'm digging that they are taking the best idea of T&T and expanding on it. Having underlying tones throughout all the cases is really what made that game special.

[quote="Leeness, post: 87573499"]Like Blackquill so far...but his ponytail is just hideous. He'd be a much better design if they just chopped that shit off.

As much as I complain about the designs and anime cutscenes, I am really enjoying the game so far haha. Which is more than I can say for AAI. By the second case in AAI, I was pretty much furious with how bad it was haha.

So definitely an improvement for this team.[/QUOTE]

I need to reserve judgement until I get the full story on his background but Blackquill may end up being better to me than Godot. That samurai musical track is boss and I have to say, Blackquill has that perfect blend of jackass, calm and straight to the point, and helpful nature blended together.

I'm pretty sure you are talking about the final case of the original AA? Yeah, it still holds up.

Edit: The other original cases from that game really don't hold up IMO though. This is of course not speaking of 1-5, the bonus case. That shit is magic right there.

Thanks, good thing it was in the first game, I migh as well continue and replay the whole series after that.

FluxWaveZ

Case 3 spoilers:
Athena's "Objection" theme is fantastic. Love how she impulsively decided to pose as the statue; something that Phoenix Wright or Apollo would absolutely never do (at least not willingly).

I'm just starting case 4 and I'm starting to feel that I might have preferred to not know a couple of cameos that were officially promoted before the game's release beforehand because of that. Interested to see how it's handled, though.

So far, there haven't been many and I've liked many of the new characters. It's funny, but I would have liked to have known many of the victims.

Sorian

Banned
Case 2
Your Baldness lol

Udgey has put up with a lot of shit in his day. I hope he gets a very happy retirement one day.

Case 3 spoilers:
Athena's "Objection" theme is fantastic. Love how she impulsively decided to pose as the statue; something that Phoenix Wright or Apollo would absolutely never do (at least not willingly).

That scene was a.... tad ridiculous for me. I enjoyed the little sexual innuendo comment between Athena and Apollo tho.

JoseJX

Ugh, I just had a crash in the middle of the first scene of part 3. I pressed the button to review the last text and it crashed to the 3DS start screen. Has anyone else seen this?

Leeness

I need to reserve judgement until I get the full story on his background but Blackquill may end up being better to me than Godot. That samurai musical track is boss and I have to say, Blackquill has that perfect blend of jackass, calm and straight to the point, and helpful nature blended together.

I actually just met him haha. "Oh god that ponytail" was my first impression, but his attitude is making me smile
him ordering the judge around and being a general jackass and Apollo thinking he's scary

I still think the idea behind him is stupid as hell though. WHY are you letting a convicted murderer in the court room? WHY. What the hell.

He himself is cool but his gimmick is stupid as hell.

Sorian

Banned
I actually just met him haha. "Oh god that ponytail" was my first impression, but his attitude is making me smile
him ordering the judge around and being a general jackass and Apollo thinking he's scary

I still think the idea behind him is stupid as hell though. WHY are you letting a convicted murderer in the court room? WHY. What the hell.

He himself is cool but his gimmick is stupid as hell.

If it makes you feel better, a character in the game will eventually go out of their way to point out how stupid they believe him being allowed to prosecute is as well which tells me that the game is going to try and legitimately answer this question. Spoiler about Blackquill's general design (if you've seen any of the official promo stuff with him in it this isn't a spoiler
Just wait until his hawk makes its entrance, sorry Missle, new favorite ace attorney animal

CrazyDude

Oh god that last case...

FPEPvBk.jpg

Bring on AA6

What a weird turnaround for you. How long was the game compared to other in the series?

Sorian

Banned
Gotta be careful, the spoiler thread is starting to get bumped a lot and I already accidently clicked it once. My eyes have never averted from a computer screen so quickly!

CrazyDude

Gotta be careful, the spoiler thread is starting to get bumped a lot and I already accidently clicked it once. My eyes have never averted from a computer screen so quickly!

You wouldn't want find out the Phoenix Wight is
the victim in case 5.

Shahadan

What a weird turnaround for you. How long was the game compared to other in the series?

Was I so negative? :lol:
I admit most of Case 2 and Athena's inability to use french correctly got on my nerves, but from Case 3 onward it was all sunshine :p

Ultimately it's a bit shorter but that's mostly because of the shortened investigation sections. It's more straight to the point.

CrazyDude

Was I so negative? :lol:
I admit most of Case 2 and Athena's inability to use french correctly got on my nerves, but from Case 3 onward it was all sunshine :p

Ultimately it's a bit shorter but that's mostly because of the shortened investigation sections. It's more straight to the point.

I don't I remember a single positive post from you up to that point.

Well now you can look for the DLC case.

Oh man, L'Belle is PopGaf personified.

Surprisingly you are not the first to say that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's a shame they changed the investigation stuff as it lost a lot of flavor text. The general improvements like the checklist would be amazing for the old style.

Nope, sorry.

Welp. Never mind then. Thanks for ruining the game for me. Really appreciate it. Learn how to use spoiler tags. Especially love the part where you don't mark what fucking case it was.

*throws 3DS in garbage can, lights garbage can on fire, kicks fiery garbage can into dynamite pile*

CrazyDude

Welp. Never mind then. Thanks for ruining the game for me. Really appreciate it. Learn how to use spoiler tags.

*throws 3DS in garbage can, lights garbage can on fire, kicks fiery garbage can into dynamite pile*

Well that was fun.

It's not really what happen. Have not even played the game yet.

Case 3 was quite an improvement over Case 2
Oh the breakdown at the end, so glorious, really the whole chalkboard gimmick got me good

I want to see an Amazing Nine-Tails match now. He's probably better than Daniel Cryan.

Amazing Nine Tails is indeed what's best for business, in that village at least.

Sorian

Banned
So someone tell me if I missed something (we will call this huge spoilers for case 2 just to be safe)
L'belle had green hair when he first entered court on the second day, I know this for sure because I made a joker comment to myself. Near the end of the case before he really started breaking down, I noticed that his hair was blond again. When did that occur?

Shahadan

Welp. Never mind then. Thanks for ruining the game for me. Really appreciate it. Learn how to use spoiler tags. Especially love the part where you don't mark what fucking case it was.

Larry Butz did it.

Well that was fun.

It's not really what happen. Have not even played the game yet.

I sure hope it was fun posting fake spoilers, getting called out on it, then lying about it? :p

Congratulations on being a dick?

It doesn't change anything either, even if you're doing joke spoilers mark the goddamn case, that's lesson one for this shit. And people wonder why I don't bother with fucking OTs. I really should just stick with OT at this rate. How useless.

Larry Butz did it.

ALL THIS TIME, RIGHT UNDER OUR NOSES

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Like Blackquill so far...but his ponytail is just hideous. He'd be a much better design if they just chopped that shit off.

I'm glad they toned it down a little.

They were escalating the prosecutor attire or background to surreal heights.

I despised the whole rockstar/prosecutor thing with klavier and the progressively more ornate prosecutor suits.

I mean, sure Blackquill is flashy but looking at the trend, it looks like they kicked it down a notch or two.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the twist was getting into fairly offensive when my thought process was saying that it was a man cross-dressing and how the reactions were but once it was revealed she was actually just a girl surpressing her gender for her parents it came off as no different than Naoto in Persona 4 which really isn't offensive at all. I could see claims that Apollo was kind of dickish when he thought it was a man that wanted to wear dresses but thats just being realistic. You can't expect everyone to be super understanding of things that they may have never been exposed to growing up

Not to say any of her feelings on the game are wrong, just throwing my two cents at her two cents.

^This. People really need to get calmer on the internet these days, everyone's offended about everything :/

pariah164

I'm glad they toned it down a little.

They were escalating the prosecutor attire or background to surreal heights.

I despised the whole rockstar/prosecutor thing with klavier and the progressively more ornate prosecutor suits.

I mean, sure Blackquill is flashy but looking at the trend, it looks like they kicked it down a notch or two.
I like the fact he calls Apollo 'dono'. Even if it's in a mocking way.

CrazyDude

I sure hope it was fun posting fake spoilers, getting called out on it, then lying about it? :p

Congratulations on being a dick?

It doesn't change anything either, even if you're doing joke spoilers mark the goddamn case, that's lesson one for this shit. And people wonder why I don't bother with fucking OTs. I really should just stick with OT at this rate. How useless.

ALL THIS TIME, RIGHT UNDER OUR NOSES

I'll be honest I was getting worried that you would go to the wiki and really spoiler yourself.

Sorian

Banned
^This. People really need to get calmer on the internet these days, everyone's offended about everything :/

I guess I'll keep this spoiled since I don't want to even give a slight hint to people who don't know this twist yet (Case 3 spoilers, character-specific, first court day)
This will come off rude no matter how I slice it so I'll just go for blunt, these days it sometimes feels that its the "cool" thing to do to be overly sensitive when it comes to media portraying anything at all involving either the LGBT community or gender issues and roles. I'm a fairly accepting and understanding person but that came about mostly from my work as an RA on a college campus just a few years ago. I'm not going to say it isn't rude when one person mocks another for something like cross-dressing or acting outside of the traditional gender role or trying to fit every single gender sterotype (like Robin was doing after it was found she was a she) but I think sometimes people forget that people being rude may be doing it on purpose or they may just not understand and that has to translate to media too. The people in the game need to be realistic as well, Apollo and the Judge may have been rude towards Robin based only on this but Athena was accepting and Blackquill was just rude because he was being rude to everything around that time. Varying reactions, just like the real world

That was a little ranty, sorry.

Edit: Same spoiler:
Also, I won't lie, after that brace came off, I can't say I wasn't attracted to Robin.

GSR

I dunno. While I don't think the twist was
meant to be transphobic or anything like that, it definitely wasn't handled well. Even putting aside Robin's super-hyper-girly personality shift (which they at least offset a little by still having her act the same as she did before the reveal from time to time), I've seen it pointed out that the situation is very close to outing a trans* person, even if Robin turns out to be a cis female in the end and just hiding it so she can match her parents' expectations. That could be seriously uncomfortable for a lot of people

Sorian

Banned
I dunno. While I don't think the twist was
meant to be transphobic or anything like that, it definitely wasn't handled well. Even putting aside Robin's super-hyper-girly personality shift (which they at least offset a little by still having her act the same as she did before the reveal from time to time), I've seen it pointed out that the situation is very close to outing a trans* person, even if Robin turns out to be a cis female in the end and just hiding it so she can match her parents' expectations. That could be seriously uncomfortable for a lot of people

Fair point but we have to look at the context to especially from this series. If you enter a courtroom, your secrets are going to be dragged into the light. Plenty of other people's secrets were pulled out of them just as bluntly in this series and
a gender issue shouldn't get special attention IMO

Vibranium

Banned
I have to say, I'm just beginning case 5, and I have to say Blackquill is one of the best prosecuters in the series in my opinion, I just love his look (I really like the ponytail!) and his language/stories. The guy who said he's boring is totally wrong, he has really cool music (almost Victoria-London esque) and his stories about his time "in the clink" are hilariously dark. "Simon Says" is a great little running joke.

I just can't stop smiling when he tells someone to "sod off" or shouts "BALDERDASH!" in frustration. I especially lol'ed when in Case 3 he
just randomly went for a walk outside with Fullbright in tow
, the man gives no fucks like Godot.

Speaking of Foolbright, I actually dig him now, he plays off as Simon's lackey pretty well but he certainly can be helpful.

And Junie is really cute and sweet, I haven't finished the game to see what happens but I really want her to hook up with Apollo, 5 year age gap be damned.

Top Bottom