• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Sorian

Banned
Case 3 - Trial 1 spoilers:
Wow, Newman's transformation. Really looks like a boy even with the girly act.

Label that correctly this instant! It's case 3

I just can't stop smiling when he tells someone to "sod off" or shouts "BALDERDASH!" in frustration. I especially lol'ed when in Case 3 he
just randomly went for a walk outside with Fullbright in tow
, the man gives no fucks like Godot.

I had forgotten about this but yes that was quite awesome.
I'm glad he did that because Athena's therapy sessions do seem a little ridiculous and it was funny to see a character just straight up say "sure, go for it but I'm not waiting around for you to finish."

CorvoSol

Part of me hates Klavier, but the part that doesn't
is pretty happy to see him back in this game, and actually enjoys his friendly nature.

Vibranium

Banned
I'm glad he did that because Athena's therapy sessions do seem a little ridiculous and it was funny to see a character just straight up say "sure, go for it but I'm not waiting around for you to finish."

Haha yeah, he's the sort of guy who has little patience for crazy stuff, he just rolls his own way or threatens witnesses to get what he wants. Why block when you can strike with a well-honed blade?

And I find it funny that people are complaining about Blackquill prosecuting when a major theme of the game is "The Dark Age of Law" and it's explicitely hinted at by Fulbright in Case 3 or 4 that the order came
directly from top of the prosecutor's office
(haven't finished the game yet though). Corruption and lack of integrity is rampant, so it makes sense.

Sorian

Banned
Part of me hates Klavier, but the part that doesn't
is pretty happy to see him back in this game, and actually enjoys his friendly nature.

As long as he keeps picking on Apollo, then he's ok in my book (now he just needs to come up with better jokes)

Haha yeah, he's the sort of guy who has little patience for crazy stuff, he just rolls his own way or threatens witnesses to get what he wants. Why block when you can strike with a well-honed blade?

And I find it funny that people are complaining about Blackquill prosecuting when a major theme of the game is "The Dark Age of Law" and it's explicitely hinted at by Fulbright in Case 3 or 4 that the order came
directly from top of the prosecutor's office
(haven't finished the game yet though). Corruption and lack of integrity is rampant, so it makes sense.

Yeah, that was case 4, stopped maybe 20 minutes after that part last night. Him mentioning that makes me confident that the game will address exactly why he is allowed into the courtroom other than "well he is a great prosecutor and we have to counter this Wright Douchbag Agency" No one actually said that but you know that's what the Prosecutor's Office is thinking :p

Leeness

If it makes you feel better, a character in the game will eventually go out of their way to point out how stupid they believe him being allowed to prosecute is as well which tells me that the game is going to try and legitimately answer this question. Spoiler about Blackquill's general design (if you've seen any of the official promo stuff with him in it this isn't a spoiler
Just wait until his hawk makes its entrance, sorry Missle, new favorite ace attorney animal

Good. Cause my god. Haha.

LEGAL SYSTEM WHAT ARE YOU DOING????

Vibranium

Banned
As long as he keeps picking on Apollo, then he's ok in my book (now he just needs to come up with better jokes)

Yeah, that was case 4, stopped maybe 20 minutes after that part last night. Him mentioning that makes me confident that the game will address exactly why he is allowed into the courtroom other than "well he is a great prosecutor and we have to counter this Wright Douchbag Agency" No one actually said that but you know that's what the Prosecutor's Office is thinking :p

Haha, the Wright Dbag agency is on the case!

And yeah, to the guy above, Fulbright has a bit of an answer to what's up.

Sorian

Banned
That twist in Case 3
Robin's a girl? The hell?!?

Not even one of the bigger twists :p

Edit: Also:
image.php

dan2026

Does the Phoenix Wright universe have the death penalty?

I swear in the older games they stated it did, but in this one the killers are going to jail.

Label that correctly this instant! It's case 3

Hey you right. I blame my mobile!

Case 3 - Trial 2:
What do you present to Prof. Means on his first testimony?

Sorian

Banned

I swear in the older games they stated it did, but in this one the killers are going to jail.

Yes it does T&T spoiler
Dahlia is the clear example of this
They do always go to prison first though, its just like real life, prison while waiting for their death penalty. The cases you are involved in never actually sentence the guilty party because your case is about the falsely accused, the guilty party gets sentenced at their own case at a later time.

Sendou

Yes it does T&T spoiler
Dahlia is the clear example of this
They do always go to prison first though, its just like real life, prison while waiting for their death penalty. The cases you are involved in never actually sentence the guilty party because your case is about the falsely accused, the guilty party gets sentenced at their own case at a later time.

Yeah Blackquill refers to deathrow inmates in this game too. You forgot the most important character that got a death sentence in T&T though :(

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Okay, I'm an idiot. I'm into the 3rd case and I JUST realized that pressing the B button makes the text speed up.

No wonder I'm taking forever to get through this... >>;

They go to jail for a while before the penalty is administered.

For instance, in AA3 the death penalty wasn't applied to
Dahlia Hawthorne
until over 5 years after the trial, when the convict was executed by hanging.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah Blackquill refers to deathrow inmates in this game too. You forgot the most important character that got a death sentence in T&T though :(

I'm not touching that one, people still argue whether he was sentenced to death or not and short of someone actually saying something direct in one of the games, I don't think we can prove it one way or the other.

On that note though, I think it would be fun to unlock a little dossier after each case that details the trial of of who you found to be the guilty party. Obviously it wouldn't need to be super detailed but it would be interesting to find if the person was guilty of manslaughter or first degree or whatever and then what their sentence was.

Edit: In regards to said person:
Missed opportunity not to have Blackquill bring up a buddy in the clink who was also a prosecutor and loved himself some coffee or some other nod to that

Sendou

I'm not touching that one, people still argue whether he was sentenced to death or not and short of someone actually saying something direct in one of the games, I don't think we can prove it one way or the other.

On that note though, I think it would be fun to unlock a little dossier after each case that details the trial of of who you found to be the guilty party. Obviously it wouldn't need to be super detailed but it would be interesting to find if the person was guilty of manslaughter or first degree or whatever and then what their sentence was.

I don't know. After playing the game I felt like it was the only option there was. Would somehow feel wrong if it didn't actually end that way. But you're right that it's not something we can prove!

Sorian

Banned
I don't know. After playing the game I felt like it was the only option there was. Would somehow feel wrong if it didn't actually end that way. But you're right that it's not something we can prove!

I can't say I understand all the rules in Japanifornia but
I just can't see how he would have gotten the death penalty, no matter how Godot himself feels, that was self-defense. Sure, it would be more tragic (and aligned with the story of his character) if he was put to death but I just don't see how that would be the case

Sendou

I can't say I understand all the rules in Japanifornia but
I just can't see how he would have gotten the death penalty, no matter how Godot himself feels, that was self-defense. Sure, it would be more tragic (and aligned with the story of his character) if he was put to death but I just don't see how that would be the case

Lol I don't think this game has any laws at all. I mean just playing this game right after the introduction of Athena Cykes
she should have been brought in for multiple charges starting from the assault of police officer. Nobody seemed to care though.
I think it's fair to say that this game doesn't play with any of the laws we know from our world.

Sorian

Banned
Lol I don't think this game has any laws at all. I mean just playing this game right after the introduction of Athena Cykes
she should have been brought in for multiple charges starting from the assault of police officer. Nobody seemed to care though.
I think it's fair to say that this game doesn't play with any of the laws we know from our world.

I call self-defense on that one too.
Scummy officer trying to touch a young lady! Tsk tsk. Plus just imagine that getting brought up to Fulbright, he would have blamed the officer anyway :p

dan2026

This is also the series where the supernatural does exist and has been used as evidence in a court of law.

For a series that relies on logic, it is very illogical at times.

Edit: Just finished case 2, fun but kinda easy.
Hope the rest of the game has more challenge.

Sorian

Banned
Hunk of Junk is one lucky individual. Dat rack resting on its head? I'm jelly.

She could smack me at a 42.5 degree angle all night long.

This is also the series where the supernatural does exist and has been used as evidence in a court of law.

If an exorcism ever happened in our court where you saw the ghost actually leave the individual and start screaming, I'm sure we'd start taking some supernatural evidence too.

Sendou

I don't think it's very logical at all. But that's what makes it fun.

Just in case 2
everyone is conveniently ignoring L'Belle the first day of the trial even if he was a key witness. Apollo Justice just goes "okay" when the same character destroys a vital piece of evidence in front of his eyes.

But I don't mind really. It's part of the charm.

CorvoSol

Yes, but I think after AAI2 we can positively conclude that it is not universally applied. I think it really depends on the culprit and the severity of the murder. I don't think, for instance, that
Damon Gant or Kristoph Gavin would've gotten the death penalty, not because they weren't thoroughly evil, but because they had the connections to defend themselves. Then again, Manfred von Karma did, too, and the games sort of imply that he definitely did.

Sorian

Banned
Yes, but I think after AAI2 we can positively conclude that it is not universally applied. I think it really depends on the culprit and the severity of the murder. I don't think, for instance, that
Damon Gant or Kristoph Gavin would've gotten the death penalty, not because they weren't thoroughly evil, but because they had the connections to defend themselves. Then again, Manfred von Karma did, too, and the games sort of imply that he definitely did.

I like to pretend that Damon Gant defended himself at his own trial and just stared at the judge the entire time ".................................." he probably only got 6 months probation at most

Draxal

I am pretty happy how they treated Phoenix in this game, the demo seemed to make him a dunce again.

But they actually did make him badass in game proper and spoilers for end game
he did beat down Edgeworth just like good old times, and does hint at a return at Maya
. I'm really pleased.

Fey

Banned
At the very beginning of the third case, and I'm really loving the relationship/dynamic between Phoenix, Apollo, and Athena. I thought I'd be bummed to see Phoenix not getting the full spotlight, but it's not happening at all.

I'm really enjoying Apollo in particular, more than I did in his own game.

The best part of that Case 3 reveal is realizing that
what looked to be huge, bushy eyebrows were just very conveniently positioned bangs.

Fey

Banned
!!!!!!!! very early case 3
What is Lamiroir's dress doing here!! this case is already reminding me too much of Turnabout Serenade with the murder matching the mock trial and everything

These allegations that the 3rd case is amazing better be true.

Sorian

Banned
!!!!!!!! very early case 3
What is Lamiroir's dress doing here!! this case is already reminding me too much of Turnabout Serenade with the murder matching the mock trial and everything

These allegations that the 3rd case is amazing better be true.

You have the worst character from the game as your avatar, I'm sure the 3rd case will be fine :p

So. I have a question about Juniper. Case 3 spoilers.
Was she just on a school vacation during case 1? Or did she just transfer schools? Is this ever addressed? Or was it said in case 1 and I missed it?

CorvoSol

I like to pretend that Damon Gant defended himself at his own trial and just stared at the judge the entire time ".................................." he probably only got 6 months probation at most

Hahaha, I can just see it. Especially if Winston or Gaspen was the prosecutor for the case. Also with that mad hax power to
Object and interrupt the gameplay segment of cross examination. Honestly, evil as he was, it's really hard to not like Damon Gant. He's a cruel, manipulative scum bag, but on the other hand he's also a pretty jolly guy.

All of this makes me miss Lana and Ema more :( Rise from the Ashes really is my favorite case in the series, followed closely by Bridge to the Turnabout.

Top Bottom