• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Saw some confusion a couple of pages back about Case 2 and
the key swallowing.

Made sense to me, personally. Both Rex and Tenma were knocked out initially, at which point L'Belle took the key to the Forbidden Chamber and murdered Rex. Tenma was then moved to the Forbidden Chamber so that L'Belle could disguise himself as Nine Tails and set up the false confession to Jinxie. After that, L'Belle opened the chamber a second time, encountering Filch by chance and a slowly-waking Tenma. Filch ran off immediately, leaving behind a trail of feathers and tracks in his mad (and momentarily blind) dash towards the foyer. L'Belle moved Tenma back to the murder scene. However, Tenma, who was slowly waking up, saw Rex's body and realized whoever was disguised as Nine Tails was the murderer and was trying to pin it on him, at which point he fought Nine Tails. L'Belle, as Nine Tails, knocked Tenma out again, this time with the gold statue, but not before losing the key. With Tenma out cold again, L'Belle threw the Nine Tails costume out the window and into the river, completing the scene.

Finished the game. It was everything I expected to be. So good.

The big bad was awesome. All the new characters were pretty good.

I really loved Athena and Apollo was really cool there. Loved Fulbright as the new detective I think he was better than Ema.

Blackquill is one of the top prosecutors in the AA series.

I think newcomers can really jump on AA5 without losing too much since it doesnt spoil anything from the previous games.

The ending theme was godly. On to the spoiler thread.

Cheska

I feel like I'm joining in LTTP despite this only having been out for about 3 days ._. I've missed you so much Ace Attorney!!

A little more than halfway through Case 2, and while the game is very enjoyable I can completely understand the linearity complaint that was being thrown around. Investigation phases used to be meh, but now that they're automated it makes them worthless. By removing the ability to freely examine a scene and automating 'where to go next cues', it literally feels like I'm being handed a pamphlet at a carefully curated amusement park. I'm no longer a detective, but a pawn on a leash being spoon-fed anything I need for the upcoming battle. Had to get that off my shoulders.

That being said, the court scenes seem to be at their A-game this time around.

Sorian

Banned
A little more than halfway through Case 2, and while the game is very enjoyable I can completely understand the linearity complaint that was being thrown around. Investigation phases used to be meh, but now that they're automated it makes them worthless. By removing the ability to freely examine a scene and automating 'where to go next cues', it literally feels like I'm being handed a pamphlet at a carefully curated amusement park. I'm no longer a detective, but a pawn on a leash being spoon-fed anything I need for the upcoming battle. Had to get that off my shoulders.

That being said, the court scenes seem to be at their A-game this time around.

I would agree if I had ever found any enjoyment in the investigation segments of these games. I play these games for the courtroom and the investigation is just a maze I have to follow to get to the next courtroom scene. I know I should, but I can't fault this game for turning that maze into a oneway street.

I'm only part way through case 4, but I really like Fulbright. Still, I want to know what happened with Gumshoe.

We need some new DLC stat: Turnabout Detective. Who killed Gumshoe?

I would agree if I had ever found any enjoyment in the investigation segments of these games. I play these games for the courtroom and the investigation is just a maze I have to follow to get to the next courtroom scene. I know I should, but I can't fault this game for turning that maze into a oneway street.

But I want my idle banter. I want more stepladder arguments.

I used to dislike them too, but now I can appreciate that they dial the intensity back for a bit to make the courtroom scenes even more. I think I'd be ok the investigations being more streamlined if that meant they were shorter, but as of now that doesn't seem to be the case.

Artemisia

Banned
Being directed during the investigation phases is something I really like. No more blindly presenting every piece of evidence to every single person you see, praying that you will trigger the scene that progresses the story.

It makes sense, too. An investigator is going to have some sort of plan of what they want to investigate and who they want to talk to. That's basically what the notes tab in the court record is.

Elios83

So guys is it worth it?
The price isn't high, I've played all the past 4 main games and loved them.
But this time I'm not so sure.........Capcom decided not to localize this in my language (italian), I can still enjoy it in english but considering it's text heavy and with many nuances it won't be as comfortable to me as it was for the past games.
Also I've tried the demo and I'm not feeling the 3D characters, high res sprites would have been much better :/ Now I'm also reading about people not happy with the investigation sequences.

FluxWaveZ

Also I've tried the demo and I'm not feeling the 3D characters, high res sprites would have been much better :/

Nope, nope, nope, nope.

Animations are extremely more versatile and dynamic with the beautiful 3D models that are in the game. Outside of the eye close-ups that appear before the cross-examinations start, everything about the 3D models are better than the sprites.

The investigation scenes are fine, even though I also understand the complaints about their linearity. Instead of pixel hunting, everything is streamlined perhaps a bit too much, but that's not too bad.

demidar

Being directed during the investigation phases is something I really like. No more blindly presenting every piece of evidence to every single person you see, praying that you will trigger the scene that progresses the story.

It makes sense, too. An investigator is going to have some sort of plan of what they want to investigate and who they want to talk to. That's basically what the notes tab in the court record is.

I remember being really stuck investigating a movie set in one of the previous games. The one with the mafia connections.

On the one hand, I like just pixel hunting every screen for a bit of banter, but on the other I like the directed hand of AA5 so getting lost is pretty much impossible. Both design choices are equal to me in terms of preference.

So guys is it worth it?
But this time I'm not so sure.........Capcom decided not to localize this in my language (italian), I can still enjoy it in english but considering it's text heavy and with many nuances it won't be as comfortable to me as it was for the past games.
Also I've tried the demo and I'm not feeling the 3D characters, high res sprites would have been much better :/ Now I'm also reading about people not happy with the investigation sequences.
Your English seems good enough; I think you'll do fine.
I just started case 4 right now, but so far I'm sure it's worth the $30 I paid! I think the jump to 3D models is just what the series needed, and while the investigation sections are simplified in this entry, I prefer that over pixel hunting like in some other games.
I'd say get it.

So guys is it worth it?

It is. But the problem here is that you played the game in Italian so I would recommend replaying at least the fourth game in English.

The problem with the investigation sequences is that you cant investigate the background at your own leisure, only when its time to collect evidence.

Sorian

Banned
But I want my idle banter. I want more stepladder arguments.

I agree with you here actually. I usually try to get through my original AA playthroughs as quick as can be and then my (guarenteed) subsequent playthroughs are where I look for all the easter eggs, jokes, and references. Which leads me to....

I agree here, having that little notes section really fixed a lot of my issues with the investigation portion of the game. Some of the old game were quite ridiculous when it came to having to present evidence to someone because you would only get one hint that you had to present said piece of evidence to said person and that hint was sometimes in passing by another character who would disappear after their questioning so you couldn't even ask them to repeat themselves. What would probably make me and many others happy would be to have the notes section stay as a permanent spot but then also let every map be examinable. I won't lie, they made sure to absolutely pack the Wright Anything Agency with nods to previous games and I thought it was a bit lame that we couldn't get idle banter on all of those things.

Sendou

So guys is it worth it?

The English used in the game is not demanding at all. Of course you may miss some puns but other than that there's not much to worry. I'd say if you were able to write that you'll be just fine. 3D characters are just gorgeous. Sprites could have never reached this level. I think streamlining investigation made the game better and less dependant on luck but of course we have people on this very thread that disagree with me.

No more blindly presenting every piece of evidence to every single person you see, praying that you will trigger the scene that progresses the story..

I still totally do that in hopes of seeing some extra dialogue.

Frolow

Banned
So guys is it worth it?

Your English seems pretty good. I think you should be fine for the game. The only problem with the investigation sequences is that you can't investigate everything like in previous games, only certain rooms. And the 3D models are really well done, one of my favorite aspects of the game. It might be a little jarring to go from the well done sprites of AJ to the 3D models, but trust me when I say they're excellent.

Fireblend

Banned
So guys is it worth it?

You should remember this is GAF, people will moan about every little thing. I've actually found that for some games (not necessarily this one), it's better to stay away from the OTs and enjoy them for yourself.

Anyway, I'm on the second case and here's what I think:

This is probably the best 2D-to-3D transition for any franchise I've ever seen. If you're not feeling the demo it might be because like half the animations from the finished game for the characters in the demo were cut from it, not to mention the demo's story is laughable in comparison to the way the plot is handled in the actual first case of the game. I too would have preferred HD sprites if I was asked how I would like a new AA before playing this, but now I'm a total convert.

The 3D models are amazing, the characters' animations are a pleasure to look at, and so are the backgrounds. Seriously, I've stared for minutes at some of the backgrounds I've seen due to how well the 3D effect is used. The investigation phases were only slightly modified. I literally just replayed AA4, and if it hadn't been for someone mentioning it here I honestly wouldn't have noticed the change. What matters to me about these games is the story, and that's still there in all its charming, ridiculously over-the-top glory. The first case is probably the best first case in the series, and the second isn't disappointing at all so far. I wouldn't even bother recommending this game or writing this post if you didn't like AA4, but if you did, this is an absolute must buy.

Sucks about the language, but hey, look at it as a way to improve your english. And it's not like this is some dissertation on semiotics. If you can talk about games on GAF you can totally get through the game. From what I've played so far, I would have gladly paid $50 for a physical copy, and I was one of the ones who got it for free with the NA FExSMT $30 promotion.

Edit: Oh, and the soundtrack. I just got to listen to Apollo's cornered theme and god. damn.

Sorian

Banned
Eaaaassily the best 3rd case in the series? :O

I won't lie, I still love when you nail Tigre in 3-3 but thinking back....

*nightmare about the terrible 3 day case in AA1*

*super nightmare about a circus in AA2*

*nightmare fuel thinking about that damn restaurant in AA3*

*why the fuck am I watching this damn video for the 80th time in AA4*

Yeah, easily the best 3rd case in the series.

But there was nothing blind about the presenting evidence before. There was always a handful of evidence that made sense to present to certain people. This game is the exact same in that respect, main difference being they lock you in to maybe one or two people to present to before letting you move on.

To the second point, it was up to the player to determine a plan of where to investigate and who to talk to. It could get frustrating at times because it was easy to overlook certain things, but the games normally inferred to the player where and how they should continue their investigation. I can't speak to all the games since i haven't gone through them in a while, but during my replay of JFA the only scene that didn't have rhyme or reason to me was a poster you had to examine in case 3. They were normally very good about hinting at where or what you should look for next.

Side-note: Not being able to present people makes me even sadder.

Frolow

Banned
I won't lie, I still love when you nail Tigre in 3-3 but thinking back....

*nightmare about the terrible 3 day case in AA1*

*super nightmare about a circus in AA2*

*nightmare fuel thinking about that damn restaurant in AA3*

*why the fuck am I watching this damn video for the 80th time in AA4*

Yeah, easily the best 3rd case in the series.

I thought Case 3 in AAI was great if that counts for anything.
Having the supposed "kidnapped" person actually turn out to be the kidnapping in order to steal money from his Father was a great twist, and finally busting the guy was one of the highlights of the game for me.

Sorian

Banned
But there was nothing blind about the presenting evidence before. There was always a handful of evidence that made sense to present to certain people. This game is the exact same in that respect, main difference being they lock you in to maybe one or two people to present to before letting you move on.

To the second point, it was up to the player to determine a plan of where to investigate and who to talk to. It could get frustrating at times because it was easy to overlook certain things, but the games normally inferred to the player where and how they should continue their investigation. I can't speak to all the games since i haven't gone through them in a while, but during my replay of JFA the only scene that didn't have rhyme or reason to me was a poster you had to examine in case 3. They were normally very good about hinting at where or what you should look for next.

Side-note: Not being able to present people makes me even sadder.

I haven't done old replays in awhile but I know for sure there were multiple occassions on my first playthrough where I had no idea what was holding me back from advancing and it was showing this random person a random piece of evidence that Gumshoe had kind of hinted that I should do over an hour ago.

Jacqli

So guys is it worth it?

I am in the same situation as you. A big part of me wants to buy it, but then I remember that I did not like so much Investigations and Apollo as I did with the rest... I do not know if I am going to like the 3D models, the same thing happened to me with 999 and VLR (although those graphics are much worse). I am also concerned about the new characters whether they can be as memorable as the old ones... And knowing there is going to be DLC...

I do not know, 25€ is not a bad price. But it is digital. But it is a new entry of Phoenix Wright. But no localization in other languages. But I can support more new games in the future. But...

Javier

Finished Case 3. That was fucking hilarious.

Holy shit at Athena being forced to accept a testimony is flawless. We haven't had that since... Case 1-4 maybe?

Sorian

Banned
I am in the same situation as you. A big part of me wants to buy it, but then I remember that I did not like so much Investigations and Apollo as I did with the rest... And I do not know if I am going to like the 3D models, the same thing happened to me with 999 and VLR (although those graphics are much worse). And I am also concerned about the new characters whether they can be as memorable as the old ones... And knowing there is going to be DLC...

I do not know, 25€ is not a bad price. But it is digital. But it is a new entry of Phoenix Wright. But no localization in other languages. But I can support more new games in the future. But...

I'll give you the basic consistencies of everyone who has played the game. It seems to me that almost everyone who has rated the game has put it as second in between 3 and 1 (3>5>1) which means it blows AA:I and 4 out of the water. As for the 3D sprites, I don't think I've seen a single complaint. One of the cornerstones of the series is the reactions and facial expressions of everyone within the game and 3D allows them to go all out with thse animations and we can all attest to the fact that they did indeed go all out with it. As for the DLC, yes, it isn't the best practice in the world but with it we get a sixth case for the game which has never happened in an AA game before and (though I can't say this from a first person perspective yet) apparently the DLC case is one of, if not the, best stand alone cases in the series.

I can't force you to buy it or anything but if you are concerned, this is a true AA game in every sense of the word and I'll assume that one of your problems with AJ was the lead's personality which I promise you is something that has been handled well in this game.

pariah164

Case 3 was amazeballs.

Miriam is awesome. Robin confuses my sexuality in so many ways. And when Means turns evil ( I FUCKIN' CALLED IT) it's fan-fucking-tasting.

Best case 3? Best case 3.

Sorian

Banned

Holy shit at Athena being forced to accept a testimony is flawless. We haven't had that since... Case 1-4 maybe?

I'm already drawing a blank, which testimony are you talking about.

Case 3 was amazeballs.

Miriam is awesome. Robin confuses my sexuality in so many ways. And when Means turns evil ( I FUCKIN' CALLED IT) it's fan-fucking-tasting.

Best case 3? Best case 3.

Means has the best "transformation" that the series has ever know. It works so well because I imagine that is exactly how he teaches his classes as well. Dude is a boss

I thought Case 3 in AAI was great if that counts for anything.
Having the supposed "kidnapped" person actually turn out to be the kidnapping in order to steal money from his Father was a great twist, and finally busting the guy was one of the highlights of the game for me.

AA:I was a very forgettable game apparently because I am drawing blanks. Its kind of coming back to me about the case. It was a good twist, I just think I hated a lot of the characters of that case.

CompC

There are definitely memorable characters. In at the beginning if the third case and while some characters aren't great, there are definitely some memorable ones (
L'Belle
), and no one's really bad.

R.I.P

I haven't done old replays in awhile but I know for sure there were multiple occassions on my first playthrough where I had no idea what was holding me back from advancing and it was showing this random person a random piece of evidence that Gumshoe had kind of hinted that I should do over an hour ago.

I recently replayed all the games and yeah, there were quite a few parts where I got stuck in the investigation parts because I hadn't presented some piece of evidence to the right character. I usually enjoyed the investigations in the earlier games but I appreciate the streamlining, as getting stuck in the investigations was really annoying in the earlier games.

Sorian

Banned
There are definitely memorable characters. In at the beginning if the third case and while some characters aren't great, there are definitely some memorable ones (
L'Belle
), and no one's really bad.

I don't like your spoiled character at all which isn't necesarilly a good or bad thing but I fear he will be fairly forgettable for two reasons.
No one likes when the case intro shows you the killer and I really don't know why they did in this case, piecing together that one would have been better without having a small piece of the puzzle and the otehr issue is that it was too odd that we didn't even see him on the first trial day. They kind of dropped the ball by at least not having him make an appearance in court on the first day, he felt so disjointed from the case for the longest time.

R0ckman

Why can they never fix grammar mistakes in the localizations? I've caught added words added words without spaces, a bunch of stuff thats just not professional. I guess its good to get it out quickly but at least check over the text first!

Glad to see this is the number 1 seller in the UK (EU?) eShop for the week!.

I wonder how many copies it actually sold, and how far it'll drop down next week...

Sorian

Banned
Why can they never fix grammar mistakes in the localizations? I've caught added words added words without spaces, a bunch of stuff thats just not professional. I guess its good to get it out quickly but at least check over the text first!

Capcpom!

resident-evil-revelations-box-art-typo-capcom-botches-packaging-once-again.jpg

I haven't seen a typo that has caused me any confusion on the case facts yet so I can't complain.

Glad to see this is the number 1 seller in the UK (EU?) eShop for the week!.

I wonder how many copies it actually sold, and how far it'll drop down next week...

Highly unlikely but I'm still hoping that the game is successful enough that they do a limited print run for physical copies. I'd double dip in a heartbeat.

Javier

I'm already drawing a blank, which testimony are you talking about.
Case 3 Trial 2:

When Transformed Means claims he was at the stage the whole time because he couldn't have finished the statue had he taken a break. The only way to progress is accepting Means' testimony has no flaws (Unless there's some REALLY obscure alternate way to do it).

Sorian

Banned
Case 3 Trial 2:

When Transformed Means claims he was at the stage the whole time because he couldn't have finished the statue had he taken a break. The only way to progress is accepting Means' testimony has no flaws (Unless there's some REALLY obscure alternate way to do it).

Ah right right
to be fair though, the point of his testimoney was that he was on the stage that entire time. That was true. I know the game has you select that his testimony is flawless but its not that everything he said was flawless, its just that the central idea of his testimony was actually the truth, even if the other parts of it weren't exactly as he was insinuating tho they were true as well since he did need all of that time to get the "statue" up in proper positioning.

CompC

I don't like your spoiled character at all which isn't necesarilly a good or bad thing but I fear he will be fairly forgettable for two reasons.
No one likes when the case intro shows you the killer and I really don't know why they did in this case, piecing together that one would have been better without having a small piece of the puzzle and the otehr issue is that it was too odd that we didn't even see him on the first trial day. They kind of dropped the ball by at least not having him make an appearance in court on the first day, he felt so disjointed from the case for the longest time.

Hmm, yeah, I get that. I still liked the character, though. I thought it was great when he
answered those cell phones.
I laughed, and it felt like something that totally would be in an Ace Attorney game.

Fey

Banned

Yeah, wasn't expecting that and was really confused at the part. And I was freaking out because I only had one shot left before Game Over.

And [case 3]
Yesss, I called Means being the killer the moment I saw him. I immediately checked the map of the Lecture Hall when Hugh said the victim's seat to the left was empty, and when I saw that the seat was actually Means' seat I was like "YASSSSSSSSSSSS it begins." The only parts of the case that really caught me off guard was the murder happening on stage and the way the body was hidden.

Sorian

Banned
Hmm, yeah, I get that. I still liked the character, though. I thought it was great when he
answered those cell phones.
I laughed, and it felt like something that totally would be in an Ace Attorney game.

Indeed,
the cell phones were a great touch, especially since they played in so well in the making of his ultimate breakdown (loved watching his head bob back and forth slowly between the two phones. He also gets some respect for straight up walking into court looking like the Joker

Shahadan

They showed him for a very simple reason. It's
the second case of the game, the first where you're dropped in the world and with multiple characters/possible suspects at that. It's to teach players things are usually more complicated than the first case.
Also without that there would have been a strong possibility new players mistake Tenma for the true culprit, given his...well appearence.
I hate it too but it was a good thing objectively.

Top Bottom