• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Sorian

Banned
Yeah, wasn't expecting that and was really confused at the part. And I was freaking out because I only had one shot left before Game Over.

And [case 3]
Yesss, I called Means being the killer the moment I saw him. I immediately checked the map of the Lecture Hall when Hugh said the victim's seat to the left was empty, and when I saw that the seat was actually Means' seat I was like "YASSSSSSSSSSSS it begins." The only parts of the case that really caught me off guard was the murder happening on stage and the way the body was hidden.

Case 3 final moments spoiler
I swear, I have a sick mind sometimes. When we figured out that the murder did take place on stage, I knew immediately that he posed the body as the phoenix wright statue. My dark humor immediately imagined Means just taking her body a skering it through the piece of wood sitcking out of the base of the statue and just throwing a tarp over the whole thing. Obviously posing the actual body took a little bit more elegance and some rope :p

They showed him for a very simple reason. It's
the second case of the game, the first where you're dropped in the world and with multiple characters/possible suspects at that. It's to teach players things are usually more complicated than the first case.
Also without that there would have been a strong possibility new players mistake Tenma for the true culprit, given his...well appearence.
I hate it too but it was a good thing objectively.

I can see the argument but thats the point of the game, you should be believing in your client even at the worst times and then just figure out what you can from there. Another second case, the one from T&T comes to mind immediately, I don't believe the case told you at the beginning who the culprit was and that was one of the times where it was really laid on thick that your client absolutely had to be the killer and he wasn't even really denying it. Just gotta chug along, the first case is the tutorial, rest of the game should be fair game.

Downloading it right now while I beat the last dungeon of Wind Waker HD.
feels_goodman.jpg

Nohar

Case 5, Trial:

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL HELL? *HE*'S THE PHANTOM? YOU'RE SHITTING ME.

That's a pretty standart reaction. Actually, (spoiler case 5, trial, last part:
I saw it coming. The series didn't really need a second Gumshoe, and I thought he was way too nice. So I was expecting him to reveal his true colors at one point or another, though I didn't actually guess he was the phantom until the moment we had to call him to testify
).

Just finished case 3. The stuff with the last witness was brilliant, and overall this was the best case yet.

It does feel a bit like the game is easier and simplified compared to the previous games, which is too bad. Especially the investigation segments have been dumbed down. And even the trials seem to be more straight forward. There's no longer moments where you have absolutely no idea what to do in order to get away from the hole you have dug for yourself, now it seems like the game gives you too many hints about what to do next.

On a more positive note, there doesn't seem to be many situations any longer where you are already a couple of rounds ahead of the game and get punished for trying to present some evidence too early.

That's a pretty standart reaction. Actually, (spoiler case 5, trial, last part:
I saw it coming. The series didn't really need a second Gumshoe, and I thought he was way too nice. So I was expecting him to reveal his true colors at one point or another, though I didn't actually guess he was the phantom until the moment we had to call him to testify
).
I mean, I was wondering who the Phantom could be, but out of the entire pool of characters, I actually was kind of suspecting Starbuck a bit there, in a twist of things. I didn't really suspect Fulbright at all until the ladder came into question.

Sorian

Banned
On a more positive note, there doesn't seem to be many situations any longer where you are already a couple of rounds ahead of the game and get punished for trying to present some evidence too early.

I've seen some people complain about this but I haven't seen it yet. There have been a few times where I figured it out before the game wanted me too but it was obvious that I still had to take baby steps to make the connection anyway. I do think either the court segments are easier or I've gotten better at these games but I am banking on the former because of an extremely not subtle hint that phoenix gives the player during case 4 that really bummed me out. It was something that I had figured out already but seemed like wright didn't need to give the hint to the player, they should have been able to figure it out on their own no problem.

I finished Day 1 of Case 2 last night and I don't really like Blackquill...

He'll probably grow on you, I'm waiting for the new prosecutor smell to wear off but I think I like him more than Godot.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It does feel a bit like the game is easier and simplified compared to the previous games, which is too bad. Especially the investigation segments have been dumbed down. And even the trials seem to be more straight forward.

Yeah I was on the fence about a purchase, especially with next-gen incoming, but I am now certain I will just sit this one out. This is why it's important to have honest hands-on impressions from sources like GAF posters and not just press reviews.

This game sounds like it's missing everything I love about Ace Attorney, a franchise I appreciate so much, I made all my friends into fanboys too.

Shahadan

I can see the argument but thats the point of the game, you should be believing in your client even at the worst times and then just figure out what you can from there. Another second case, the one from T&T comes to mind immediately, I don't believe the case told you at the beginning who the culprit was and that was one of the times where it was really laid on thick that your client absolutely had to be the killer and he wasn't even really denying it. Just gotta chug along, the first case is the tutorial, rest of the game should be fair game.

Well different times and different situation :p
More new players are expected here than for JFA/T&T, and difficulty is simpler these days. AA5 itself is easier, btw, we can all agree, I think.

BTW AA5 does it really well imo
Case1 you're shown the culprit and it can't be anyone else, you just have to break him down on trial and uncover the truth
Case 2 you're shown the culprit but you have to investigate and use evidence to clean your client and pinpoint the actions of everyone

Those two cases teach you the basic mechanics of the game.
(not spoilers but just in case)
Case 3
you're not shown the culprit but it's rather obvious, you have to find a way to clean multiple characters instead of one, and come up with a solution to incriminate the true culprit at the end. You don't have that much of an idea how the murderer did it until that point.
Case 4,
well, you don't know shit, really.
And Case 5
takes it to another level
:lol:

It has a much better learning curve than previous entries imo, and was obviously designed with new players of today in mind. We veterans probably find it too easy but they managed to create elaborate cases taking our experience in account imo. Cases plots are not dumbed down at all, and it's quite a feat to be able to satisfy both audiences.

Sorian

Banned
He doesn't seem to be made of pure evil like some the guys in the earlier games, and occasionally seems to be on the side of truth almost as much as Apollo and Athena.

He feels like an Edgeworth who has already gotten past the whole "I must win at any cost" phase and is well into the "I want to win but it has to be done the right way" phase, at least IMO.

Sorian

Banned
Goddamn, really liking case 4 so far. Case is easily the worst one so far.

Don't know if you like the case or don't like it???

Edit: Maybe you work for capcom and missed a word in there? :p

Yeah I was on the fence about a purchase, especially with next-gen incoming, but I am now certain I will just sit this one out. This is why it's important to have honest hands-on impressions from sources like GAF posters and not just press reviews.

This game sounds like it's missing everything I love about Ace Attorney, a franchise I appreciate so much, I made all my friends into fanboys too.

I think everyone here would tell you that this is easily a worthy successor to the franchise and most find that it is better than every single AA game except for maybe the third one. Take that how you will, I feel sorry for you if you really decide to pass on this though.

Sorian

Banned
I bet the missing number is 2. What do I win?

Haha I expect that to be the correct answer as well :p Can we all at least agree that the stand alone cases of this game were both really well done? There definitely wasn't a circus or movie studio or restaurant case in this one.

Edit: Of course, I am also sayign that within the atmosphere of just this game 2 is the weakest.

Really now? Most of people who completed game loved it including me. Also its just 3 days after it released there are lot of other people here to give their final verdict.

Hmm, I may sound a bit too negative. I'm still enjoying the game greatly, and you'll be lucky to find a game half as good in PS4/xbone launch lineup. It's small things that disappoint in this game... But some things have also improved, like animations, sound quality, and there are some nice things added to investigation phase. It's more linear, which is a great shame, but it doesn't ruin the game.

For people who finished it, how does it rank among the other AA games?
I loved the original trilogy to bits, but was very dissapointed with AAI and AJ (which felt a bit unfinished).

And I don't have a 3DS (yet).
Although I am thinking about buying one but that would be only for Fire Emblem Awakenings and Ace Attorney Dual Destinies, if the latter is any good.

So guys, is it good??

case 4 investigation spoilers

weird that after 1-5 and aa4's fixation on touch screen minigames for forensic analysis, they just totally cut those in aa5...

AW SHIT FUCKIN PSYCHE LOCKS YESSS

edit: FUCKKKKKK ACCIDENTALLY PRESSED Y AND THE LOG CAUSED AN ERROR AND BOOTED ME FROM THE GAME

time to redo the investigation ;-;

Nemesis_

Finally managed to put aside some time and started Case 1. Finished it.

Overall, I thought it was a rather weak opening case. I felt like this stuff was just a little bit too implausible. The experience itself was great though - and it's what I love in particular from the Ace Attorney games - the thrill and the rush of breaking down the suspects, learning of the twists and turns and what not.

But I don't know - maybe it's because I'm coming off Apollo Justice (which had an absolutely fantastic twist in it's first case) but I was just disappointed at how......predictable the opening case seemed to be.

Skimming this thread (cautiously, mind you) I'm seeing things obviously pick up, so I'm gonna try to put some more time aside tomorrow and finish up some more stuff.

Just can't believe I'm playing a new Ace Attorney! And it presents so fucking well too! So pleased with the quality of the visuals and such too - I was worried that a lot of the characteristic animations would be gone but they're still here, if Case 1 is anything to go by.

OceanBlue

For people who finished it, how does it rank among the other AA games?
I loved the original trilogy to bits, but was very dissapointed with AAI and AJ (which felt a bit unfinished).

And I don't have a 3DS (yet).
Although I am thinking about buying one but that would be only for Fire Emblem Awakenings and Ace Attorney Dual Destinies, if the latter is any good.

So guys, is it good??

I'll probably have a different ranking than most because of how I differ on 2-4 and 5-2, but my rankings are this for now:

AA3 > AA5 >= AA1 > AA2 > AA4

AA5 is just way too strong of a package as a whole for me. I agree that the second case was the weakest, but I thought AA5 was amazing pretty much the entire way through.

Fey

Banned

Huh? The game is definitely a worthy successor and (if Case 4 and 5 hold up as well as Case 3) will probably be my favourite AA game (potentially tied with AA1) next to T&T. I'm enjoying it much more than AA2 (cases 1-3) and AA4, at the very least.

If you really love the series, you shouldn't be missing out on this. :(

Sorian

Banned
case 4 investigation spoilers

weird that after 1-5 and aa4's fixation on touch screen minigames for forensic analysis, they just totally cut those in aa5...

AW SHIT FUCKIN PSYCHE LOCKS YESSS

edit: FUCKKKKKK ACCIDENTALLY PRESSED Y AND THE LOG CAUSED AN ERROR AND BOOTED ME FROM THE GAME

time to redo the investigation ;-;

I agree with you
was getting ready to have to blow into my mic for the finger prints. I get the feeling this was a cut that we can kind of blame on ourselves though, I think the AA team just got tired of all the complaints of mics not working properly :p Actually, I guess we should blame nintendo then

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Damn I shouldn't have posted or something haha. This pic's middle row should prove my devotion to AA.(My DS collection lol) It's not just GAF, but Court-Records and GFaqs impressions. It just doesn't sound like the AA game I wanted. I read a lot about a Mary Sue type character and I can't stand these, plus lots of reports about dumbed down gameplay/story pushed me away. Again I will not derail this thread further, so tata. Just wanted to give my 2 cents, is all.

I'll probably have a different ranking than most because of how I differ on 2-4 and 5-2, but my rankings are this for now:

AA3 > AA5 >= AA1 > AA2 > AA4

AA5 is just way too strong of a package as a whole for me. I agree that the second case was the weakest, but I thought AA5 was amazing pretty much the entire way through.

Okay. Damn, now I have to buy a 3DS... :p

Draxal

Errrr...

Everybody's pretty been much stating that it goes like this

AA3>5>1>4>2.

Phailzon

Neo Member
Finished the game last night.

That last twist, god damn.

This game is up there with AA1 and AA3 for me. I enjoyed the filler cases far more than any other AA in this one as well. Cases 2 or 3 never plumbed the dark depths that was steel samurai or circus bullshittery.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Damn I shouldn't have posted or something haha. This pic's middle row should prove my devotion to AA.(My DS collection lol) It's not just GAF, but Court-Records and GFaqs impressions. It just doesn't sound like the AA game I wanted. I read a lot about a Mary Sue type character and I can't stand these, plus lots of reports about dumbed down gameplay/story pushed me away. Again I will not derail this thread further, so tata. Just wanted to give my 2 cents, is all.

Uh, maybe you should play it and judge it for yourself instead of listening to a bunch of mouth-breathers. Yes. Mouth breathers.

I don't see any Mary Sue type characters, unless Franziska was already one. They can't be talking about Athena, who is a very well balanced character...

Sorian

Banned

I tried looking this up and I came up with a character that the author placed in to embody themself, is that correct? If that is the case, I have no idea what moron you were speaking with but they are wrong. Honestly, I'm sorry to see you go and to see this game lose a sale that it rightly deserves but all I'm really seeing is someone who wasn't really planning to give the game a chance in the first place.

Edit: I'm also seeing a definition of a "super" character per se, so someone perfect who can't do anything wrong, maybe? I have no clue who they could be talking about, Athena maybe if you want to say her being a lawyer at 18 is so amazing but thats not really new to the series and she gets put on the ropes just like Phoenix and Apollo.

GSR

Oh my god the Mary Sue thing is going to drive me insane, haha.

Okay, as one of the admins of C-R and someone who was involved in the discussions of AA5 there when the Japanese version came out, here's what the deal with the "Athena = Mary Sue" thing is, as far as I know:
  1. A few people (myself included) play the Japanese versions and discuss the plot.
  2. One person mentions that they thought Athena felt a bit Mary-Sueish because of how much focus she has in the plot.
  3. This gets picked up by other members who haven't played the game but are trying to read impressions and seen as "Athena = Mary Sue", who then start parading it as proof she's a terrible character.
  4. On Tumblr/4chan, this quote gets spread as "proof C-R has horrible taste because they all think Athena's a total Mary Sue."
  5. Original poster points out that they really just meant it in the sense that she got a lot of spotlight for being a new character, but the damage is done.

Fey

Banned
I tried looking this up and I came up with a character that the author placed in to embody themself, is that correct? If that is the case, I have no idea what moron you were speaking with but they are wrong. Honestly, I'm sorry to see you go and to see this game lose a sale that it rightly deserves but all I'm really seeing is someone who wasn't really planning to give the game a chance in the first place.

Edit: I'm also seeing a definition of a "super" character per se, so someone perfect who can't do anything wrong, maybe? I have no clue who they could be talking about, Athena maybe if you want to say her being a lawyer at 18 is so amazing but thats not really new to the series and she gets put on the ropes just like Phoenix and Apollo.

Yeah, a Mary Sue is a character who is just perfect and can't seem to do any wrong.

iirc, I think it's Athena people said is the "Mary Sue" character but, 3 cases in, I don't see it. :/

edit: oop. much better explanation up there ^

I guess people dont know whats a Mary Sue is and didnt even look up what it is. They are so wrong.

Draxal

They were talking about Athena. She does get allllot of screen time. However, It's mostly in the beginning, and Phoenix gets his fill at the end.

edit.

I do like court records, yet their fanbase has this weird obsession with Apollo. She does kinda trump Apollo at times.

Sorian

Banned
Oh my god the Mary Sue thing is going to drive me insane, haha.

Okay, as one of the admins of C-R and someone who was involved in the discussions of AA5 there when the Japanese version came out, here's what the deal with the "Athena = Mary Sue" thing is, as far as I know:
  1. A few people (myself included) play the Japanese versions and discuss the plot.
  2. One person mentions that they thought Athena felt a bit Mary-Sueish because of how much focus she has in the plot.
  3. This gets picked up by other members who haven't played the game but are trying to read impressions and seen as "Athena = Mary Sue", who then start parading it as proof she's a terrible character.
  4. On Tumblr/4chan, this quote gets spread as "proof C-R has horrible taste because they all think Athena's a total Mary Sue."
  5. Original poster points out that they really just meant it in the sense that she got a lot of spotlight for being a new character, but the damage is done.

Ah, so miscommunication and some stupidty/malicious intent. Yeah, based on how people describe this character archetype, Athena does not fit at all. Hell, she doesn't even get a ton of spotlight when compared to the other mains (I'm at the end of case 4 so I've at least seen that initial twist but I hardly think her time in the spotlight will be overshadowing anyone else). Hell, it would be like saying Maya overshadowed phoenix in T&T.

Top Bottom