• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Moonlight

Banned
Bought the game yesterday with my FExSMT credit, and I cannot handle it. God, it just feels so good to be back. I have just had the stupidest grin plastered over my face the entire time. Case 1 was fucking brilliant. Like, easily the best one yet, in my opinion. That climax, oh my god. That breakdown was immensely satisfying in so many ways. Also, it took me a while to get 'Candice Arm' but when I did... oh man, my mind was blown in every single direction.

Animations are fucking gorgeous, too. There's really no question to me how wholly they've managed to capture the spirit and off-the-wall personality so endemic to the series. Athena's expressions are all so good. I think my favourite one so far is Juniper breathing in the sunflower, though. Amazing. Or maybe Trucy bopping herself on the head. So good.

I'm in the middle of the first day in court of Case 2. Dunno why people are so down on Fulbright, he's pretty great. I mean, yeah, sure, Ema would have been amazing, but I've found myself pretty entertained by him.

Filch is amazing.

Blackquill is leaving me with a pretty good first impression. He's the first prosecutor in a while who's felt legitimately threatening, but haven't seen enough of him to see where I'd put him in terms of my favourites. I really like some of the twists that he's throwing at you, like
Taka harassing Apollo when he tries to Perceive Filch's tell

Music is fucking astounding, loving the remix of Apollo's theme in particular. I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't go whole hog and use my favourite piece from AA4 though. Quite easily my absolute favourite Cornered theme.

GSR

I do like court records, yet their fanbase has this weird obsession with Apollo. She does kinda trump Apollo at times.

While I won't deny that me and at least two other admins really like Apollo, the member base is still pretty divided on him, and I remember there being a lot of "whoo Phoenix is back!" when AA5 was first announced. Guess we'll see if AA5 changes any opinions.

Draxal

While I won't deny that me and at least two other admins really like Apollo, the member base is still pretty divided on him, and I remember there being a lot of "whoo Phoenix is back!" when AA5 was first announced. Guess we'll see if AA5 changes any opinions.

I think it's probably the impression that I got that the Apollo fans were more vocal. I remember reading the case impressions on 5, and it was like yeah Apollo deserves much more screentime than Phoenix etc.

I thought the screentime was handled fine in this game, and Apollo was handled skillfully.

Sorian

Banned

Throw it in tags obviously but how is the DLC case handled in terms of the defense team. Is there a main and a side-kick, does it switch around, do all 3 do something?

Fey

Banned
Athena getting a lot of screen time is such a silly criticism, especially since she's a pretty good character (so far >__>). I suppose the game's name makes it seem like Phoenix is the star of the game, when he's played more of a Mia-esque role (so far).

And the animation where Apollo has that big adorable smile is enough to make me obsess over him tbh He's so much better in this game than in AA4.

GSR

Throw it in tags obviously but how is the DLC case handled in terms of the defense team. Is there a main and a side-kick, does it switch around, do all 3 do something?

Phoenix main/Athena sidekick all the way, with Apollo and Trucy back at the agency. One other character does help out with parts of the investigation, though.

Sorian

Banned
Phoenix main/Athena sidekick all the way, with Apollo and Trucy back at the agency. One other character does help out with parts of the investigation, though.

Good, maybe not what some people wanted, but the exact answer I was hoping for :p

Edit: Something else comes to mind about why Athena gets so much screen time. I'll tag it but I'd say if you've at least started case 3, I'm not spiling anything.
It's because of gameplay. Since it appears that they made Apollo's perceive a full on investigation feature (which honestly makes more sense to me anyway) that only leaves the mood matrix as the only "special" courtroom gameplay mechanic. I personally dont like the mechanic much but Athena does need to be there for it to get used which is why she seems to always be a character in the courtroom.

GSR

Good, maybe not what some people wanted, but the exact answer I was hoping for :p

Yeah, it's part of the reason I wish they released it day one, since (related to above, no other spoilers)
having a full Phoenix case means each of the three gets a 'filler' case, and it probably helps alleviate the feeling that Phoenix isn't really the main character.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah, it's part of the reason I wish they released it day one, since (related to above, no other spoilers)
having a full Phoenix case means each of the three gets a 'filler' case, and it probably helps alleviate the feeling that Phoenix isn't really the main character.

It makes sense but then (I have to throw some theorizing in here because I haven't started case 5 yet but I'd be surprised if I was far from the mark)
Case 4 was basically all Phoenix, Apollo did have trial day 1 but it was such a short day that it really didn't matter to much. I'm also going to guess that the bulk of Case 5 is going to be for Phoenix as well. With that being said, it seems perfect for me. The two "children" as it were got the filler cases while the man himself got all three of the cases that had to do with the overarching storyline.

Draxal

I liked emotional puzzles and the ... logic puzzles (the thought processes in the head that seems very similiar to AAI).

Just ... for the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuH3aYAr6NM

Resonance of the Synapses has to be my new favorite tune.

In all honesty, I thought the tells puzzles were the most annoying, but since they didn't happen too much I was cool with it.

Elios83

Thanks to all the people who gave me suggestions and infos in the previous pages ( I won't quote everyone otherwise my post would be huge and unnecessary).
I guess I'm going to give the game a try as soon as I have a bit of time...25€ seems am appropriate price notwithstanding the localization issues and considering it's a series which has entertained me for 4 games, it probably deserves a bit of credit on my side.

flowsnake

Somehow Apollo looks much better than in AA4. Especially in the non-court face-on sections (it's a blessing to have multiple perspectives now).

suzu

The more I play, the more I like Blackquill and Fulbright.

Case 3:
When Fulbright pops out of the art room window, it made me laugh. Also: In justice we trust!

Somehow Apollo looks much better than in AA4. Especially in the non-court face-on sections (it's a blessing to have multiple perspectives now).

Yeah and I never really cared for him before too! I think all the models really look great.

Sorian

Banned
Why? Seems like an OK port to me...

The big three reasons is that music is cut from the port, some of the art backgrounds that appear during the case were cut from the port, and the animated art for the chapter select screen is unlocked from the beginning which can spoil a first timer about the case.

TDLink

Stuck in Case 2, not sure what to do.

I am on Investigation Day 2 and I just spoke with Tenma and he gave me the key. Athena hints maybe we should talk with Jinxie but I can't find her anywhere. I've done all of the conversations available with Tenma, Fulbright, Phoenix, and Athena in the various areas. How do I progress???

Fey

Banned

I am on Investigation Day 2 and I just spoke with Tenma and he gave me the key. Athena hints maybe we should talk with Jinxie but I can't find her anywhere. I've done all of the conversations available with Tenma, Fulbright, Phoenix, and Athena in the various areas. How do I progress???

Did you go to every single place? If so, maybe you forgot to present/talk about something to/with Tenma?

TDLink

Did you go to every single place? If so, maybe you forgot to present/talk about something to/with Tenma?

Yes I have gone everywhere. Fulbright is at the crime scene, Tenma is at the detention center, Phoenix is at the Agency, Athena is everywhere else. All of the conversations have a check mark. I have tried presenting the key (only new piece of evidence) to everyone too. Is this a bug?

jschreier

Present the blackmail letter to Tenma.

Sorian

Banned
Yes I have gone everywhere. Fulbright is at the crime scene, Tenma is at the detention center, Phoenix is at the Agency, Athena is everywhere else. All of the conversations have a check mark. I have tried presenting the key (only new piece of evidence) to everyone too. Is this a bug?

GSR, you around? This sounds strikingly like the bug you were talking about that was exclusive to the JP version, I could be wrong though or forgetting something.

Present the blackmail letter to Tenma.

Ah this could also be it. I forgot when that was important.

Shahadan

Present the blackmail letter to tenma. The game tells you to do so you must have missed it.

Sorian

Banned
Ok, I just tried doing this and it did not change anything. To be clear, Tenma gave the same reaction as if I presented any other piece of evidence and no new people or conversations showed up anywhere.

Hmm, well then I go back to my first point.

GSR, you around? This sounds strikingly like the bug you were talking about that was exclusive to the JP version, I could be wrong though or forgetting something.

By any chance, if you go into your court record and look under the notes tab, what is currently not checked off?

rekameohs

Banned

Apollo was just ok in his game, in my opinion, since he never really got a chance to take the reigns and tackle a case fully by himself, but his character's been fleshed out much more fully in AA5.

Shahadan

Ok, I just tried doing this and it did not change anything. To be clear, Tenma gave the same reaction as if I presented any other piece of evidence and no new people or conversations showed up anywhere.

Did you present the Kyubi Ornament to Tenma? If so then you're probably screwed.
Jinxie should be at nine tails vale anyway after that.

IIRC the statue > the letter > talk to him > go to the vale

TDLink

Hmm, well then I go back to my first point.

By any chance, if you go into your court record and look under the notes tab, what is currently not checked off?

There are 4 things listed. "Ask Jinxie how to open Forbidden Chamber" with a blue line under it (through it?) and a conversation symbol on the left. "Show fox and demon statue to mayor tenma" with a yellow line in the same fashion as the blue one and a Present symbol on the left. "Talk to Mayor Tenma" with the blue line and conversation symbol again. The final one is "Rethink investigation strategy" with a check mark symbol on the left.

Domstercool

What does it say under "notes" because if you follow that then you should have no problem progressing. Notes is pretty much a miniguide to get you through the investigation stuff.

Edit: Show the statue ? Sometimes you can't do one without doing the other things.

Sorian

Banned
There are 4 things listed. "Ask Jinxie how to open Forbidden Chamber" with a blue line under it (through it?) and a conversation symbol on the left. "Show fox and demon statue to mayor tenma" with a yellow line in the same fashion as the blue one and a Present symbol on the left. "Talk to Mayor Tenma" with the blue line and conversation symbol again. The final one is "Rethink investigation strategy" with a check mark symbol on the left.

So what happens if you present the statue to Tenma? The game is basically saying that you aren't done with Tenma yet and I'd guess its because you haven't talked to him about the statue.

TDLink

What does it say under "notes" because if you follow that then you should have no problem progressing. Notes is pretty much a miniguide to get you through the investigation stuff.

Edit: Show the statue ? Sometimes you can't do one without doing the other things.

Yeah so as soon as I saw it in notes (which for some reason i forgot was even a thing in court record) I tried showing him the statue. After that I can now show him the blackmail and get an actual response.

Thanks for the help everyone, just my own overlooking of things. Glad I don't have a game halting bug.

Domstercool

Yeah so as soon as I saw it in notes (which for some reason i forgot was even a thing in court record) I tried showing him the statue. After that I can now show him the blackmail and get an actual response.

Thanks for the help everyone, just my own overlooking of things. Glad I don't have a game halting bug.

Just happy you didn't have a problem at hand. :) Enjoy the rest of the game, it's great. :D

I finished yesterday, so did my own little review on it. http://darkzero.co.uk/game-reviews/phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-dual-destinies-3ds/

Frolow

Banned
Finished Case 4.

scanners.gif

rekameohs

Banned

I really like the "Notes" part of this game. It significantly reduces that annoyance of figuring out which thing will trigger the next event to occur.

Guess Who

Banned
I really like the "Notes" part of this game. It significantly reduces that annoyance of figuring out which thing will trigger the next event to occur.

No kidding. It's nice not having to go to every location and examine everything and talk to everyone until you hit upon the exact thing you need to do to continue.

Top Bottom