• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

ohlawd

naw the only thing that sticks out to me is when the camera pans out over the courtroom. You can clearly see the slowdown there.

it's not Pokemon X/Y-bad doe. Thank Goddess Athena for dat.

GSR

I'm definitely enjoying this game, but is it just me or does it struggle to keep a steady frame-rate at times?

As said above sometimes you can catch it in the court pan-outs but it's mostly pretty solid. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright on the other hand definitely can get framey.

Finished this late last night, and I really liked it. I'd say its almost as good as T&T. My favorite thing about this one was definitely its audiovisual stuff. The music was incredible, and don't get me started on those character models. The Cross-Examination Allegro theme has to be one of my favorite songs from the entire series, it's that good.

Bring on the DLC case!

daydream

Banned
You guys are tearing through this. Had a busy week so I just played through Case 2 in one sitting.

This was kind of like a mix between the Steel Samurai stuff and the Kurain Village motif (or that one village in AA3) which was fine by me the way they handled it. Blackquill is a return to form for the prosecution (after Klavier) and the new detective is great. Probably my no. 2 after Badd (sorry Gumshoe).

Anyway, I was pumped up during the whole thing. The animations and character models are spectacular: Filch, Athena, Taka freaking out when Blackquill slams the table, to name a few of my favourites. The soundtrack is also getting better and better by the minute. Definitely worthy of its legacy.

Now, after I won the trial, it did occur to me that I wanted to get that white hair analyzed the instant I found it, because I immediately thought of L'Belle. In the end, the way Apollo turned things around made me forget about that narrative blunder, though, which is a totally legitimate strategy for a game.

In the end, I'm all for the Columbo-style setup in this one. It's obvious who the killer is, but the way you uncover Filch's lies, the masquerade, etc. still manages to be very surprising, in the best sense.

Case 3 is off to a promising start.

pariah164

Case 5, Investigation day 1 spoilers:

... A robot revolt. Really? REALLY?

EDIT:
Oh my word. EDGEWORTH. OMG this is awesome.

Drago

Just finished up Case 3. Really good case. Had a lot of fun going through it, great characters, good twists, and what I assume is a good setup for the message of the rest of the game. It also made me warm up to Athena! Wasn't feeling her until I played this case.

Will tackle case 4 sometime tomorrow. Loving the game so far.

Gah! This party is sitting there. The icon.... taunting me....

But I'm almost done with Apollo Justice. Fourth Case... I did check a few things in Dual Destiny though..

I just had to know that Klavier wasn't a bad guy. I'm happy he is in Dual Destinies. Also, young Trucy is adorable. I actually like Apollo a lot more now.

789shadow

Banned
Does anyone else think that Case 4 and Case 5 could have originally been a single case at one point in development? The total of 3 court segments and 2 investigation segments add up to the norm.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So I spent the entire weekend plowing through this. I'll hopefully end up posting full impressions in the Spoiler thread once I've let it all sink in but, that was damn good. Damn good.

Just finished the game

my only gripe with Case 5:
I get that the spy is supposed to be nobody in particular in relation to everyone else but I'd still rather him have an actual face

Good game though

if I had to rank the games now

3 > 1 > 5 > 2 > 4

PK Gaming

Just finished case 2

Well Apollo certainly took a level in badass. This case reminded me why I hated playing as Apollo in AJ. He was an ineffectual scrub who had to have everything dictated for him. Fortunately, the prosecutor in this case wasn't a namby pamby "bro" so he actually had to think and figure shit out, and boy was that fun. There's a clear difference in characterization; he's no longer a greenhorn, but he isn't a pro either. He reminded me of AA1 Phoenix Wright actually. He's also infinitely more relatable in this one.

The case in general was fun. I sorely miss the ability to examine "everything" and wander around to find extra dialogue, but at the same time i'm grateful that they streamlined the process so I wouldn't run into situations where I hit a brick wall. The killer was hilarious, they had the best animations by far.

The highlight of the case imo was when I got to use
"logic." Everything came together when that happened, it was like I was in perfect sync with Apollo.

EDIT:

PBQ6EXQ.jpg

One thing that does bother me about the Ace Attorney games is when you confront the villain alone with a pivotal piece of evidence, giving them the perfect opportunity to snatch it from you and destroy it. I know these defense attorneys can be stupid, but sometimes their stupidity is just too much.

PKrockin

One thing that does bother me about the Ace Attorney games is when you confront the villain alone with a pivotal piece of evidence, giving them the perfect opportunity to snatch it from you and destroy it. I know these defense attorneys can be stupid, but sometimes their stupidity is just too much.

You'd think they would have learned after getting tased in a police station. Show them a damn Polaroid or something if you have to.

Frolow

Banned

AA1 spoilers.
Von Karma did it in AA1. He fucking tasered Wright to get back some evidence!

Case 3 was THE SHIT, yo.

HEAVY Case 3 spoilers
Fuck you Means. I never liked your ass. I thought the baddie from Case 2 had a great meltdown, but you getting stabbed to the goddamn wall was the most satisfying victory since Case 5 in AA1. Suck it nerd :p

pariah164

Case 3 was THE SHIT, yo.

HEAVY Case 3 spoilers
Fuck you Means. I never liked your ass. I thought the baddie from Case 2 had a great meltdown, but you getting stabbed to the goddamn wall was the most satisfying victory since Case 5 in AA1. Suck it nerd :p
I felt the same way. When he went all mohawk evil I was like, "I KNEW IT YOU BITCH".

Alfredo

I'm definitely enjoying this game, but is it just me or does it struggle to keep a steady frame-rate at times? That's the only thing that might make me miss the 2D art, because that issue aside, the transition has been smooth and for the better thanks to the impressive art-style.

I also hope it doesn't get worse (I'm in ep. 2).

Some character animations are noticeably choppy while others are super smooth. Framerate whenever the court doors open is also bad, but that's like 2 seconds. The game looks really good otherwise.

Frolow

Banned
Case 5.

JESUS FUCK.
Black locks, Trucy being help hostage, Blackquill on the verge of his death sentence, Pearls returning, Maya's letter, going against Edgeworth in court, and Apollo as a wild card. This can not get any more crazy.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Finished the first case.

It was nuts. It was beautiful. It was Ace Attorney.

Hell fucking yes.

Artemisia

Banned
Case 3 Investigation 2:

I have such a strong feeling the killer is Prof. Means. They keep focusing on Hugh but I just don't buy it.

Man, the typos and grammatical errors really take me out of the experience. It's the only complaint I have with the game.

Also, Case 5 is sooo good thus far.

Mzo

Man, the typos and grammatical errors really take me out of the experience. It's the only complaint I have with the game.

Also, Case 5 is sooo good thus far.

The typos are really my only complaint.

Capcom, just let me play through your games ONCE and I will make a complete list of all the typos and oddly omitted words.

GaimeGuy

The typos are really my only complaint.

Capcom, just let me play through your games ONCE and I will make a complete list of all the typos and oddly omitted words.

Think of them as eatser eggs.

:3

FluxWaveZ

Think of them as eatser eggs.

:3

Sadly, there are too many for that. The "miracle never happen" typo was memorable and hilarious because bad typos like that weren't all that present in the game, but its just kinda sad in AA5.

I'll deal with it, though, if it means faster and easier localizations. The translation itself is still great and full of personality.

Artemisia

Banned
I've only noticed 2 typos, lmao. Needless instead of needlessly, and though instead of thought.

Maybe my mind is just auto correcting the errors as I read the text.

GaimeGuy

Sadly, there are too many for that. The "miracle never happen" typo was memorable and hilarious because bad typos like that weren't all that present in the game, but its just kinda sad in AA5.

I'll deal with it, though, if it means faster and easier localizations. The translation itself is still great and full of personality.

What about my glorious use of the misspelling, "eatser?" Was it awesome?

rekameohs

Banned

AA2 had a ton of typos. I'd say that had the shoddiest localization. Neither that game's typos nor this one's really made a big deal to me, though.

Mzo

I've only noticed 2 typos, lmao. Needless instead of needlessly, and though instead of thought.

Maybe my mind is just auto correcting the errors as I read the text.

Up to double digits by the end of case 2. General typos, missing words, extra words. It's all there.

I'm just happy I can play it in English. Not a big deal, but I would assume they hire editors at video game companies to give things one last look, right? I'm not some amazing grammar machine that can find impossibly hidden mistakes, they're all pretty obvious.

It does take two people, though. It's hard to spot your own mistakes.

Nico_D

Just finished case 2. I thought it was fine, I really liked the twist about
the identity of Tenma Taro. And also the way the closed room mystery turned out was quite satisfying.

Not bad at all although not the best case either.

rekameohs

Banned
Oh my goodness, Case 3's Trial Day 2 is like the best thing ever.

I love the villain, haha.

So far, all of the villains have been top notch.

Top Bottom