• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Artemisia

Banned
Myriam Scuttlebutt

not her setting up a trap to severely wound someone who opens her script without her permission

jonny_zpsfdda5d96.png

Nosgoroth

Ow. Beat the game at almost 6 AM, three hours ago. I'm at work now and the whole world is spinning.

I don't think I can take the witness stand right now, Your Honor. I object. T-This is objectionable.

Ow.

Just beat the game. It was pretty damn good and I think it's as good as AA3.

I really hope that Capcom continues this series!
It did well in Japan, and the producer wants to do more, so I wouldn't worry about new entries.

What we need to worry about is getting them outside of Japan. Hopefully their shortsighted digital only strategy won't prevent them from being satisfied with the reception. (But Capcom is famous for their outrageous sales expectations.)

rekameohs

Banned
Ow. Beat the game at almost 6 AM, three hours ago. I'm at work now and the whole world is spinning.

I don't think I can take the witness stand right now, Your Honor. I object. T-This is objectionable.

Ow.

I was hoping to come up with a question while I was objecting, Your Honor..........

....I didn't.

shengfs

Neo Member
Loved the game! One of the best in the series.

Although the one thing that never settled with me until the end was the voice acting. It's like seeing a movie based on a book you read a thousand times. I always had this idea what their voices would sound like (Phoenix in particular) and it didn't match.

(Not really a spoiler, more a VA thing)
In the beginning and during the cutscenes I kept hearing Akihiko from P3, when Phoenix spoke.

FSLink

Banned
Loved the game! One of the best in the series.

Although the one thing that never settled with me until the end was the voice acting. It's like seeing a movie based on a book you read a thousand times. I always had this idea what their voices would sound like (Phoenix in particular) and it didn't match.

(Not really a spoiler, more a VA thing)
In the beginning and during the cutscenes I kept hearing Akihiko from P3, when Phoenix spoke.

Well Wright actually doesn't share the same VA as Akihiko from P3. I don't even feel they sound too much alike.

Jintor

Holy shit lol. Case 3 Trial 2

Apollo, tie me up into a new pose! ...wait, you're not into this kind of thing, are you?

Jintor

I've done a lot of fucking ridiculous things in a phoenix wright game, but Case 3 takes the fucking cake so far. Wowsers.

/edit I didn't think
I'd turnabout on Hugh. You're still a super creeper though, dude

spiritfox

This game. THIS GAME.

It's amazing how it manages to tie everything up in the end, and the final boss manages to turn something what most veterans would have taken for granted and turn it on its head. The graphics and 3D is very well done, and I have to give credit to the artists and animators on how they manage to keep the charm of the game, yet bring a lot more new designs that works so well with the new engine. And the soundtrack. Iwadare really knocked it out of the park with this one. I can't remember a song I disliked.

The story is, however, undeniably something from the AAI team. It's not that it's bad (in fact, so much better than AAI1), but all the over complex executions and concepts like
the whole spy thing
is more... complex as compared to what Shu Takumi would have written. Sometimes it just takes me out of the game, wondering why the hell the killer has to do so much crazy shit when he could have done something simpler. But in the end, figuring it out is very satisfying.

I think this game is just below 3 as the top Ace Attorney game.

Domstercool

Ha! [early case 4]
The Ace Attorney twists are getting so easy to predict. The moment I saw the pic of the "defendant" helping the "victim", I knew I would be figuring out it's actually the other way around at some point.

I feel so ace. 8)

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Jintor

Whelp glaring typo in Case 4, lol.
The bomb was diffused! Well, I guess that's about to be true, in a manner of speaking...

bonercop

Really? Because I honestly don't remember that many in AA2 compared to how many I'm seeing in AA5, and I played AA2 relatively recently. Maybe I was paying less attention or something compared to AA5.

Yeah, AA2 was a lot worse on this front. Especially when you consider that almost every sentence in that game ended with "!!!".

dani_dc

Ha! [early case 4]
The Ace Attorney twists are getting so easy to predict. The moment I saw the pic of the "defendant" helping the "victim", I knew I would be figuring out it's actually the other way around at some point.

I feel so ace. 8)

I got a penalty for showing the picture when the defendant claimed to be helping the victim, even though the picture makes it clear that the defendant was the one being carried (the suits of the Astronauts had some key differences between them). Frustating when the game punish you for caughting a contradiction before it expects you to.

Artemisia

Banned
O at case 4 starting
with a trial. The AA3 influence.

Edit: why do all of the cool looking characters get murdered?
I really liked Constance Courte's design. :(

Young Magus

Welp, I finished the Phoenix Trilogy......sorta

I still have to do the extra case for the first game. Should I get to that first or is it not important enough and I can just go to Apollo Justice already?

Domstercool

I still have to do the extra case for the first game. Should I get to that first or is it not important enough and I can just go to Apollo Justice already?

Do the extra case, as a character in that is in Apollo Justice.

Nohar

The extra case is very good. Definitly do it before Apollo Justice (also, yeah, a character from that case appears in AJ).

Yes, not only is there a new character who returns in later games, but it's one of the best cases in the series - personally speaking it's the best case in the series.

JoseJX

Finished it today and I'm so glad that I decided to buy it instead of waiting for the physical release. The art was amazing and the writing was great too.

I do have to say that the lack of exploration definitely holds this game back, some of the best jokes were from clicking on random stuff. I'm also surprised that they cut back on the 3D evidence.

That said, I really can't wait for the DLC, and hopefully more from this series.

Shengar

You should do it after you finished all the case, though it will make your impression on JFA even a bitter one after that.

flowsnake

To those who have finished the game, or are on Case 5 now: by how much do you think knowing the culprit will ruin the experience? I hope there are a bunch of surprises and that really isn't the only one worth a damn.

I'm now in the same position. Where are you in the game now?

Nevermind. Seen your post above.

Jintor

Oh man I can't wait to unveil all the spoiler bars on Case 4. Just finished investigations part 1, seems interesting.

Poor polly.

/edit was there a 'reach out to the truth' reference in Case 3 day 3? And I swear there was a... what was it? Thena and Phoenix were referencing something pretty blatantly while exploring the Lounge in Case 4, but I can't remember what

love all the themes. Athena's non objection theme is one of my favs of the game.

anyone else find it odd that Simon has a feather in his mouth and have the eagle there too?

That's like... having your dog around... and dog hair in your mouth.

Kinda wish the original games were redone in this engine... but i want new games too lol.

ohlawd

yo Taka is a hawk.

I think.

oh man is there a difference between a hawk and an eagle?

Aura being mean to Clonco is making me really sad ;_;
meh at least she ain't hurting Ponco.

Then again I think being hot as fuck gives you a license to be abusive <3

Fey

Banned
I have a question about case 4 (I'm very early in the first investigation)
Did the scene where Apollo leaves the agency at the end of case 1 happen before or after Phoenix/Athena took up the current case?

Artemisia

Banned
Did the scene where Apollo leaves the agency at the end of case 1 happen before or after Phoenix/Athena took up the current case?

Girl I'm somewhat ahead of you and I'm wondering the same thing. I'm thinking maybe the scene will play out in real time.

Edit:
o it just happened

spiritfox

Em well it's kinda in the middle.

The bombing happened after that first trial, then case 1 happened, then he left.

Javier

Not yet. Keep playing and you'll eventually see the scene again.

Sadist

Finished the third case this morning. Sweet jebus that was so cool. Entire case spoiler
Robin a gal, Hugh being a 25 year old dude (Blackquil laughing about this one was pretty funny) and holy shit at that Professor Means change. I always expected him to be the murderer, but the mohawk and the blackboard was awesome.

And oh, I love all the animations in the game, but I think Haka (the hawk) sitting on top of the surprised judge's head is particulary funny.

One thing I didn't get about Case 4 during the first trial day;
Why did Apollo wear bandages during this trial? He got hurt after the trial, not before it right?

Case 4, Investigation day 1 here we come!

Domstercool

Finished the third case this morning. Sweet jebus that was so cool. Entire case spoiler
Robin a gal, Hugh being a 25 year old dude (Blackquil laughing about this one was pretty funny) and holy shit at that Professor Means change. I always expected him to be the murderer, but the mohawk and the blackboard was awesome.

And oh, I love all the animations in the game, but I think Haka (the hawk) sitting on top of the surprised judge's head is particulary funny.

One thing I didn't get about Case 4 during the first trial day;
Why did Apollo wear bandages during this trial? He got hurt after the trial, not before it right?

Case 4, Investigation day 1 here we come!

Have a bit of patience and all will be known. :)

MechaX

I'm on the Investigation of Case 4 right now, but man, this game.... Given how it was from the AAI team, it is way better than it had any right to be. And unlike some of the other games, I actually like a lot of the new characters.

Myriam Scuttlebutt for life.

Lusankya

I'm on the Investigation of Case 4 right now, but man, this game.... Given how it was from the AAI team, it is way better than it had any right to be. And unlike some of the other games, I actually like a lot of the new characters.

Myriam Scuttlebutt for life.

Well, AAI2 was already a great game, so overall they really learned from AAI1.

These AAI impressions have me concerned D:

I was glad I at least had the AAI games
game
left to play once I was done with AA5, so it's disappointing to hear that it doesn't have too great a reception.

I'll still play it though. I enjoyed AJ (more than JFA at least) so we'll see.

Squishy3

yo Taka is a hawk.

I think.

oh man is there a difference between a hawk and an eagle?

meh at least she ain't hurting Ponco.

Then again I think being hot as fuck gives you a license to be abusive <3
Taka is definitely a hawk, I know this because I watch Hajime no Ippo.

I thought I had Case 2 all figured out, and was getting a little bummed out that it was so painfully obvious. But then
Filch was revealed to be Tenma Taro
, and the case went in directions I hadn't suspected. The ending sequence was just one thing after another. So great. If this is the weakest case, I can't wait to see the rest!

FluxWaveZ

I'd rank the cases like:

Case 3 > Case 5 > Case 1 > Case 4 > Case 2

(Oddly enough, that's close to how I'd rank the games in the main series)

They're all excellent, though.

Edit: Also, where the .gifs at? I guess it'd be harder to make some for this game compared to the previous AA games because of the lack of sprites.

Top Bottom