• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

I swear to god if you guys out west don't buy AA5 I'll never forgive you.

AA5 prob has the best "stand-alone/filler" cases in the series IMO.

Zalman

I want this box beside my collection of Ace Attorney, badly
20130917172946%21Ace_Attorney_5_cover.jpg

D:
Still buy regardless
Love the black border. Wish they would do the same here.

Shengar

I swear to god if you guys out west don't buy AA5 I'll never forgive you.

AA5 prob has the best "stand-alone/filler" cases in the series IMO.

Woah-woah, you said something about me Ryouga?
gant-glare%28a%29.gif

Seriously, the best filler case I can think of is Rise From Ashes (obviously) but that was developed as extra content for PW so I think it should be ruled out. AA3 second and third case probably the best filler. Is AA5 filler case near those two in quality?

RetroMG

Can't wait. I only wish it was coming out a week earlier. My wife and I are leaving for a trip in the morning, and long road trips are how we played through PW 1-4.

Timeless

A couple of things:

-I don't believe the HD Trilogy was released on Android devices.
-You actually can speed up the text in the HD Trilogy. I believe better complaints would be lots of missing animation frames and a gimped soundtrack. Furthermore, "performance is slow" is a more accurate statement than "frame rate is slow".
Thanks for the input. I saw your remarks after I screenshotted my excel document and stitched it into one image, so any changes would have to wait. You or anyone else are welcome to edit my document.

AA HD is on Android in Japan.

The way that text speed is adjusted is not the same as the way it's done in the DS games, as I recall. If you hold down the "speed up" button, you can speed past text you haven't seen before. I'm looking for something like "speed up until text box is full, then wait for input before starting the next text box". I think the DS games do this and the iOS version does not. It's been a while since I've played either game, though.

Performance slowdown =/= framerate slowdown? How so?

I ended up (re)learning a few things about Ace Attorney. I forgot about Layton vs. Ace Attorney.

I haven't played AAI2 or LvAA yet. Any advice on how important they are to the overall story would be appreciated. Obviously, keep spoilers to a minimum and mark them.

Full quality (alternate link)

Imgur JPG

Thoraxes

That feeling when AA5 is less than 1 week away now.

s1dMTQX.gif

I am so fucking HYPED!

LET'S DO THIS. Everyone in my house is buying a copy.

rekameohs

Banned
I replayed through the series last year and this year, and originally I wanted to update the community thread with some detailed thoughts on each game, but I think I ended up only covering the first game! D'oh! My excuse is that I was too busy playing Ace Attorney.... :p

So be warned that this post contains heavy spoilers for the non AA5 games

http://pastebin.com/YHX46ZhJ

Vibranium

Banned
And then Case 3 takes the cake for the worst motive. Acro loved the ringleader as one of his closest friends. So what's his plan: murder his daughter!! That'll make him feel better!

To be fair about Acro, he was blind with rage at the Ringmaster's sheltered daughter, and his sheltering almost directly caused Bat's injury. While her dad was like a father to him, it's not unheard of for people to not think clearly when impacted by severe trauma. He pinned the blame on Regina as an individual motivated by malicious intent without thinking about other reasons or the potential consequences of his actions by actually killing her.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
So excited! I am trying to play Pokemon as much as I can since I know that Pokemon won't be touched the week I get this game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is it safe to jump into the series with this?

It would be alright, but it's really going to have more impact playing the previous games to know the characters more. And them being absolutely amazing helps.

Ken

It would be alright, but it's really going to have more impact playing the previous games to know the characters more. And them being absolutely amazing helps.

How long does that take? I think I have the first game lying around somewhere.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How long does that take? I think I have the first game lying around somewhere.

Not really sure, probably ~10 hours each? Something like that. Though the first game has an additional 5th case that is EXTREMELY long.

Also what the hell is on your avatar's face?
lol.gif

Timeless

So be warned that this posts contains heavy spoilers for the non AA5 games[/B]. I can spoiler tag them if need be, but I just think reading a big block of black text is gross, so I'll just keep it clean for now.
Dude. Not cool. There are people hopping into this thread asking where they should start in the series.

I'd put that whole thing on pastebin and link to it from here.

Is it safe to jump into the series with this?
You make me cry. I made a whole guide just for you.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Haven't tried the demo or read much into this, going into it as blind as possible. Very excited for next week though.

I'm feeling the pressure to just watch the AAI2 videos on YouTube. I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want to play AA5 as soon as it comes out, but I can't do it without experiencing AAI2 first.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Timeless

I'm feeling the pressure to just watch the AAI2 videos on YouTube. I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want to play AA5 as soon as it comes out, but I can't do it without experiencing AAI2 first.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Play the fan-translation of the first two cases?

Savitar

My body is ready.

My soul is prepared.

Been following this franchise since day one and not about to stop any time soon.

rekameohs

Banned
Dude. Not cool. There are people hopping into this thread asking where they should start in the series.

I'd put that whole thing on pastebin and link to it from here.

You make me cry. I made a whole guide just for you.

Fair enough, I've updated my post. I certainly don't want any drive-by spoiling; I would never intend that. I just hope that it doesn't fall to the wayside now that its offsite. I mean, I wanted to type all that out for a reason!

If I'm gonna play/watch AAI2, I'm gonna do it all at once.

The translated YouTube videos are available right now, and that's looking mighty tempting.

I watched them and I was really pleased, just be warned, it's realllly long. I believe the last case is even longer than freaking Case 1-5

Shengar

Damon Gant is still considered the best villain in the entire series.

Woa-woa, spoiler that shit bro. Remember there are gaffers and lurkers who possibly have yet to play Ace Attorney series!
Of course he is, and come behind is both Dahlia Hawthorne and Kristoph Gavin. As much as AJ have crappy case, Kristoph Gavin persona as the devil really worked well and possibly one of the best thing you could have from AJ.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Superb OT BlackJace, my compliments! Thread title is brilliant

HYPE GET

demidar

Yeah maybe I'll just jump in with 5. > >

I dunno, you would kind of ruin it for yourself forever.

You might as well play some of the earlier series to see if it's something you like. Just note that the second game is the weakest and the third game is the strongest.

Timeless

Yeah maybe I'll just jump in with 5. > >
Why do people do this?

$10 on WiiWare for Ace Attorney 1 is too much for you, but $30 on the 3DS eShop is fine? $15 for the physical DS cartridge not cutting it?

Hey, I think I'm going to skip the first Godfather and jump right into part 2.

Lemme just start reading Harry Potter at the fifth book.

ryushe

Placing JFA is near impossible, because Cases 1-3 are legit bad. I mean, wow. Sure, Case 2 is relevant to the series as a whole, and its plot is resumed in the fantastic finale to T&T, but still, Case 2 of JFA just still ain't fun. However, in my opinion Case 4 is without a doubt the best case in the entire series. It stands head and shoulders over the rest. I absolutely love that case and the way that it deals with the characterization of Phoenix and the side characters, plus it told a fairly powerful message about what it means to chase the truth, even in a wacky court scenario like the AA series has.

Just a weird game in that regard, really.
this is exactly how I feel about JFA. That last case is so good, I can excuse how poor case 1 and 3 were (I actually enjoyed case 2). That ending. :feels

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I need to know if every AA5 eShop download will be a Multi5/??? version or if I *must* grab it off the UK eShop if I want to play it in english. The AA games on DS were one of the few early cases of single/dual launguage carts where I needed to specifically get hold of the UK release to be able to play the series in english (same thing, prolly for the cutscenes and small size of the carts, later happened with the Layton series -from Pandora's onward- and Inazuma).

Top Bottom