• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Still going though case 2, but I'm a bit sad they dropped the ability to present a person's profile. I take it they don't decide to just add it back in for a later case.

Also, I take it Kristoph Gavin big dark secret still hasn't been revealed, right? Wonder if that will come up. Or did it get resolved at the end of AA4 and I just missed it?

Sorian

Banned
Finished case 2 and it might just be one of the worst cases of any Ace Attorney game I've played. That said I'm halfway through Case 3 and I'm really loving it so far. Here's hoping the rest of the game is as fun as this chapter. Also lol at
Athena's quick one-sentence jab at men.

WHAT!

Worst case ever? Nah

It is the worst in this game though so look forward to the fun :)

Why do people hate Case 2? I loved the introduction to Blackquill. Easily one of the best prosecutors in the series.
Personally, it just took a long time for it to get interesting and the characters themselves just weren't grabbing me.

It got really good near the end, though.

Vibranium

Banned
Why do people hate Case 2? I loved the introduction to Blackquill. Easily one of the best prosecutors in the series.

I loved Case 2 as well, I think some people didn't like the pacing, some of the characters and how long it went on for (I liked the length!)

And Blackquill is the man, his theme is great and his stories about "the clink" make you sad for the time he lost. After you finish case 5 you just want more scenarios with the guy, Taka landing on the Judge's head never gets old. Taka's little prison scarf is a nice touch too, I can imagine Simon tying it on his beloved bird while staring out of bars.

DaBoss

Because it is boring as hell.
Personally, it just took a long time for it to get interesting and the characters themselves just weren't grabbing me.

It got really good near the end, though.
I loved Case 2 as well, I think some people didn't like the pacing, some of the characters and how long it went on for (I liked the length!)

And Blackquill is the man, his theme is great and his stories about "the clink" make you sad for the time he lost. After you finish case 5 you just want more scenarios with the guy, Taka landing on the Judge's head never gets old. Taka's little prison scarf is a nice touch too, I can imagine Simon tying it on his beloved bird while staring out of bars.

Now that I'm finishing Day 1 of Case 3, I can see how length comes to play in disliking it. I thought it was really interesting considering the whole premise of the case was way out there.

But Blackquill made the case for me. He was too good. Excited to see more of him.

beril

I have to say this is really one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. Every time I see a new animation I'm just in awe.

I'd give anything too see the character models and animation rigs extracted.

Vibranium

Banned
haven't followed the thread because it moves way to fast...
so I just ask: has apollo redeemed himself?

Yes, Apollo redeems himself and gets development. (vague spoilers)
He gets a (very cute) love interest who he seems to care about as well and manages to win a case using his own logic without Klavier or Phoenix running in at the last second. His past also is a recurring theme and reveals a lot about who he is.

I have to say this is really one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. Every time I see a new animation I'm just in awe.

I'd give anything too see the character models and animation rigs extracted.

It's truly impressive. I can't believe how well they've translated the animations/charm of the sprites to 3D.

BlackJace

I have to say, I think this game has my second favorite examination theme, my first being AA 2's (yeah yeah, I know it's a weird choice).

It should be noted that if AA6 is going to be <NOT PHOENIX> Ace Attorney, it should be ATHENA CYKES ACE ATTORNEY because holy shit she rules so hard

suzu

Finished the game! Liked it a lot.

Apollo's objection theme is my favorite of the lawyer trio. I enjoyed most of the new characters.

I think this was the first time I was figuring out the last case's final twist at the same time as Phoenix, haha.

Sooo, when is that DLC case coming out?

Sorian

Banned
It's been long enough for this to finally happen. AA6:

LARRY BUTZ: ACE ATTORNEY

More like being slowly lowered toward a lava pit, and then after a while just suddenly being dropped.

Hyperbolic, I know.

I think I failed myself by guessing the big bad way too early /cry

Apollo's objection theme is my favorite of the lawyer trio. I enjoyed most of the new characters.
Oh man, it felt so good when I heard that. Wasn't really expecting it for some reason. Also liked the remix of it for his "character theme song".

Also liked the song that plays
when you go into a character's brain at the end of some cases

abrack08

Surprised at the Case 2 hate. Only thing I didn't like was it showing who the killer was right away. The second day of the trial especially was great, and I laughed at a bunch of lines throughout the case.

But I've only played the first two cases, so I'm happy if it gets even better.

Sorian

Banned
I doubt we will ever have a single lawyer again. Most likely is will the trio on different cases.

I'm sure a lot is riding on whether people find Athena to be a good addition or not. I'm sure the crew would have no problems going to a Phoenix/Apollo tag team combo. Athena was here first and foremost as her own little mystery to be solved but I do think she will be returning no problem.

FluxWaveZ

I'm sure a lot is riding on whether people find Athena to be a good addition or not. I'm sure the crew would have no problems going to a Phoenix/Apollo tag team combo. Athena was here first and foremost as her own little mystery to be solved but I do think she will be returning no problem.

Given the game's ending and the Mood Matrix, Athena not returning in AA6 would feel to me as if Apollo didn't return for AA5.

Sorian

Banned
Given the game's ending and the Mood Matrix, Athena not returning in AA6 would feel to me as if Apollo didn't return for AA5.

He could have easily not returned as a main character and, if they really wanted to, they could have just written him so he wasn't in Japanifornia as well. I know he got a lot of hate for AA4 but he also had a really really hard core fan base. Like I said, people already seem to love Athena like no other so I expect great things from her in the future.

(Gameplay spoilers)
I do hope they expand on the mood matrix more though. People being able to hide emotions or do random fluctuations was cool but there has to be a more clever use in there somewhere.

Javier

Case 5, Day 1 Trial:

Yay! Athena didn't kill her mother and now we can all move on peacefully- NO WHAT APOLLO WTF R U DOIN PLEASE STHAP.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I just wish they hadn't shown who the killer was right off the bat in Case 2.

Seems the Anime scenes are somewhat "non-canon" in that they often are inaccurate...for example, the Anime cutscene later on in Chapter 2 shows Apollo discovering the body, but in the actual plot it's someone else who does, which confused me a bit.

The worst part about Case 2 is probably the fact the overly-Japanese themed cases always seem awkward with how they try to explain away the obvious Japanese elements, here so especially.

Vamphuntr

Well I beat it late last night. Overall I enjoyed it but if I had to rank it I would put it in the middle of the series ranking. I found it much better than AA2 and AA4 but I didn't like it as much as AA3 and AA1.

The 3d models for characters are truly impressive. For some characters like CASE 3 SPOILER
Juniper
the model was so great and fitted with the style of the 2d sprite games so much that I almost thought it was a sprite at first.

Soundtrack was really nice too. The logic thoughts route theme is probably my favorite in the game. My only gripe is that you rarely hear the cross-examination allegro theme in this one. In some of the other entries in the series you would hear it at the end of each sections of a trial/episode and hear you only hear it at the very end of the trials.

Mechanics and system wise I feel the game is bit disappointing. AA1 DS and AA4 used the DS features for the forensic parts and the 3D viewing of evidence while here these features are mostly absent. There aren't any forensics analysis in the game and there is like only 1 object you can investigate in 3D. I would have expected the team to come up with one nice use of the 3D screen after seeing how great they were at using the DS hardware in Rise from the Ashes so this is a disappointment to me. I also have to wonder what is the deal with the virtual track pad thing used to point areas of pictures and map. It was much easier when you could directly click on the suspicious area directly on the picture instead of this track pad nightmare.I also didn't like how you can't examine freely area anymore to look for clues. I understand the reason though, as making 3D views for each area would probably takes a lot of time and money.

The mood matrix wasn't really any better or much different than the Bracelet or the Magatama. It's more or less the same concept concept wise but instead of seeing a lock or a nervous gesture you see a feeling that the witness shouldn't feel.

Difficulty wise I thought the first case was probably the most difficult to me as I got stuck for a bit of time on it while the rest of the game was fairly easy. Unless I'm imagining thing I felt the game got easier with each case as in the last cases there is much more hand holding with flashbacks and Phoenix/Apollo/Athena thoughts telling you pretty much the answers to the question/issue at hand.

I enjoyed the overall story arc of the game and I pretty much guessed correctly what was the mysteries behind the Athena and the new Prosecutor by the time I reached case 4. Also had correctly guessed who was the main villain in the game before the last case.

The new prosecutor is a huge step up from Gavin. He's your opponent alright but he's still not obsessed with winning like Franziska was. The structure of the main story arc and the game felt similar to AAI and AA3 which is a good thing in my book. I would have liked to have more Phoenix and less Apollo/Athena though. Even though the game try to make you love Athena, I couldn't really care much about her much like I still don't care much about Apollo

Some of the cameo from the previous games were kind of bad CASE 5 SPOILERS
Pearl's cameo is probably the worse. Especially since her and Maya are not in AA4. She's there to clean the office or something and to explain you about the black psyche locks with an explanation that doesn't work so well with what they were in AA4. Maya's letter was also a major disappointment as it's fairly generic. At least it explains the piles of DVD in Phoenix's hospital room in AA4
I have to say liked how some twists and mysteries present in some cases are only explained in latter cases.

Case 3 was probably the one that I liked the most. Outside of the iffy final moments where you have some far fetched logic, the rest was pretty much really great logic wise and the plot felt heartwarming to me. I liked Case 5 a lot too since it was pretty much a vintage Phoenix Wright case but I felt it lacked the big investigations of AA1 and AA3 case 5. The reveal of the identity of the killer was also a bit disappointing to me. Case 4 on its own isn't anything special and I felt case 2 was boring and dragged on.

Overall I liked it but I can't see myself replaying it anytime soon or often like I did for AA1 or AA3.

It should be noted that if AA6 is going to be <NOT PHOENIX> Ace Attorney, it should be ATHENA CYKES ACE ATTORNEY because holy shit she rules so hard

I was highly disappointed that Phoenix had to come in and save her in Case 1. I was really looking forward to kicking some ass with her.

And Case 2 is awesome. I guess I really like the Japanese-pop-culture stuff that they insert, so the yokai setting had me invested from the get-go.

CorvoSol

Godot>Simon>Edgeworth

fixed version
Why are people so in love with edgeworth? Hes just boring...

haven't followed the thread because it moves way to fast...
so I just ask: has apollo redeemed himself?

1. Ace Attorney Investigations. Miles Edgeworth is a slick, smooth-talking, confident, no-nonsense guy who can talk his way out of anything and using his mighty Attorney Power of LOGIC and CHESS he can and will stop international criminals. Edgeworth is second only to Phoenix.

2. Apollo was always great. He just doesn't have Klavier trying to do his job for him for a change, meaning he gets to shine a bit more. Polly-boy's next in line after Edgeworth.

As to the Prosecutor equation, it goes as follows:

Godot = Edgeworth > Manfred=Simon> Franziska > Winston=Gaspen> > > > Klavier

DaBoss

Holy shit Case 3 Trial 1. God damn. Did not expect that ending. The next investigation and trial should be interesting.

Also, I love that "Dark Age of Law" theme or whatever it is called. It is epic and depressing at the same time.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Case 3, trial day 1:
`
Scuttlebut is amaaazingly funny haha. I laughed out at the MGS like intro she got into the box. Also surprised at seeing her face during the trial, i didnt expect that.

I knew something was fishy with robin's so hyper manly like stuff but I certainly wasn't expecting that. Her personality after the reveal is so awesome haha, she even faints lol. Also if junie wanted the prosecution to win to avoid hugh's love confession... doesn't that imply junie knew robin's secret? Don't answer that, it was rhetorical =)

Top Bottom