• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Sorian

Banned
Also, a question about Blackquill:
How did he notice or figure out Apollo's perceive trick?

Well since I imagine apollo's eyes do this, it isn't terribly hard to spot.

tumblr_mblr0dXc6y1riyczxo1_500_thumb.jpg

Alright, all done. God, so good...

Probably the most consistent Ace Attorney to date, imo. It didn't really feel like it ever had "that case" for me. I agree that Case 2 was the low point, but... it was pretty inoffensive to me. I didn't really feel like it dragged all that much.

Still, totally great. Up there with AA3, but I'd still probably have to keep AA3 in the #1 spot because of what great closure it brought for the original 3 games
and Godot.

So I'll just echo 3>5>1>4>2, even if it's not a really interesting ranking, because it seems as though it's the most common. But still!

Can't wait for the DLC case and hopefully for AA6 someday. Aside from the bugs (one of which was quite a pain, as I had to redo a whole day of investigation), the engine was pretty perfect, because everything looked totally amazing. And hopefully AA6 keeps the team dynamic the Wright Anything Agency has going on now, because I think it worked really well.

L Belle is amazing, I lost my shit when
his cellphone started ringing
. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Gartooth

Just realized that Ted Tonate was a pun for detonate, man the naming puns this series has is something.

Edit: Oh god I saw what Aristotle Means is, can't believe someone noticed that.

Sure. Trucy points out that Apollo's eyes start bugging out when he starts doing it in AA4, so I could imagine it'd be easy to tell.
It's weird that he'd know what that meant, thought.

Trucy was also right next to him, so of course she'd notice. I think it'd be a bit harder for someone else to notice. Granted, he probably could deduce it because Apollo grabs his bracelet when the witness says a specific statement, but...

Sorian

Banned
From across the room though?

Sure, as Flux said, Trucy even comments on how his eyes are bugging out when he does it. I'm sure you'd be able to tell if someone had their eyes as wide open as possible staring at someone, hell I don't even think apollo blinks during those scenes. As far as blackquill
he calls it as he sees it, I'm sure he has studied Apollo's courtroom antics before and he sees apollo does this thing and suddenly he has the witness on the ropes, it is a sort of "cheat"

zruben

Banned
well, I just finished the first case...

it's just me or was it legitimely harder than other "first cases" on previous games?. Specially the second day.

maybe the fact that I was playing before sleep didn't really helps.

SmithnCo

well, I just finished the first case...

it's just me or was it legitimely harder than other "first cases" on previous games?. Specially the second day.

maybe the fact that I was playing before sleep didn't really helps.

I also thought it was noticeably harder.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Not very far into Case 3 yet, but isn't Phoenix rampant disregard for illegal crime scene investigation an example of "The End Justifies the Means". I'm pretty sure the series has made it obvious that Phoenix and Co. are never really supposed to be there.

Actually, I'm not sure where the difficulty complaints are coming from. I mean, sure, there are times when the characters outright state the answer for you, but there are plenty of instances where you have to think critically about what to present.

This is not AJ, people. Now that's a really easy game (except for that one Perceive section in the last case).

EDIT: I do wish the penalty bar was more variable in terms of how much you'd get penalized, though. I have no idea why that was taken away in both AJ and this game.

Sure, as Flux said, Trucy even comments on how his eyes are bugging out when he does it. I'm sure you'd be able to tell if someone had their eyes as wide open as possible staring at someone, hell I don't even think apollo blinks during those scenes. As far as blackquill
he calls it as he sees it, I'm sure he has studied Apollo's courtroom antics before and he sees apollo does this thing and suddenly he has the witness on the ropes, it is a sort of "cheat"

But then why
does he allow Athena to access the Mood Matrix? It's basically doing the same job Apollo's perceive ability does.

Sorian

Banned
Not very far into Case 3 yet, but isn't Phoenix rampant disregard for illegal crime scene investigation an example of "The End Justifies the Means". I'm pretty sure the series has made it obvious that Phoenix and Co. are never really supposed to be there.

Is it really illegal though? He is always blatant in saying not to touch absolutely anything. If you stumble on a crime scene, what is illegal about looking around after you report it?

But then why
does he allow Athena to access the Mood Matrix? It's basically doing the same job Apollo's perceive ability does.

End game spoilers
Blackquill does not understand what Apollo is doing thus he calls it a cheat but he knows exactly what Athena is doing and he even agrees with the idea behind it since he studied psychology from the same person that created the mood matrix in the first place.

Jintor

Is it really illegal though? He is always blatant in saying not to touch absolutely anything. If you stumble on a crime scene, what is illegal about looking around after you report it?

dude it's super illegal

maybe not in AA world though cos everything is fucked. 3 day at most trials that tend to start the day after the murder. lol

End game spoilers
Blackquill does not understand what Apollo is doing thus he calls it a cheat but he knows exactly what Athena is doing and he even agrees with the idea behind it since he studied psychology from the same person that created the mood matrix in the first place.

I suppose that does make sense.
If AA6 comes around and Blackquill still doesn't let him use it (if he prosecutes a case), I'm going to be annoyed though.

Sorian

Banned
But then why

End game spoilers

Plus they are both not actually doing the same thing, Apollo looks for nervous twitches or tells while Athena looks for what emotions are coming through in the voice. They may both lead to contradictions but they are fundamentally different.

Sorian

Banned
dude it's super illegal

maybe not in AA world though cos everything is fucked. 3 day at most trials that tend to start the day after the murder. lol

What is illegal about it? Honestly. It's only tampering if you add, remove, move, or even touch anything but to look around? I don't see anything wrong there. Hell, you are probably helping since if it is a really big crime, they will probably be questioning you about the state you found everything in upwards of 100 times.

I suppose that does make sense.
If AA6 comes around and Blackquill still doesn't let him use it (if he prosecutes a case), I'm going to be annoyed though.

I wouldn't be annoyed
He still had a disdainful attitude about it at the end of AA5, he only allowed it because at that point, the defense and prosecution just wanted the phantom in a cage ASAP.

zruben

Banned
I also thought it was noticeably harder.

alright, I won't feel "that" bad then...

I'm loving the "presentation" of the game so far... the cutscenes, the music, the animations, the little camera pans over the courtroom...
it's freaking awesome...

between pokemon, AA5 and the free Hotline Miami for the Vita, october-november will be handheld heaven for me.

Jintor

What is illegal about it? Honestly. It's only tampering if you add, remove, move, or even touch anything but to look around? I don't see anything wrong there. Hell, you are probably helping since if it is a really big crime, they will probably be questioning you about the state you found everything in upwards of 100 times.

even by being at the presence of a crime scene you're probably contaminating it in some way. Not like Nick ever uses gloves. Half the time he steals evidence from the crime scene (after a while it stopped being apparent that he was just documenting stuff and putting it into the court record). Even in Case 3 when he explicitly says not to touch anything
they just rifle through Courte's planner anyway

I don't really care since Ace Attorney is so utterly divorced from reality towards the prosecutor (onus of proof for most legal systems lies on the prosecution, not the defence!) that anything biasing it towards the defence is fine by me

I wouldn't be annoyed
He still had a disdainful attitude about it at the end of AA5, he only allowed it because at that point, the defense and prosecution just wanted the phantom in a cage ASAP.
Mostly because it's a legitimate thing Apollo does. Looking for nervous tics isn't even cheating, so Simon's attitude about it kind of annoyed me while playing. Don't get me wrong, I love Simon and he's one of the better prosecutors in the series, but it's just this one matter that annoys me otherwise.

Hyoukokun

But then why
If I remember right, he seems specifically miffed
that Apollo's trick is supernatural in nature. The Mood Matrix is, at least in theory, science-based.

Minor-ish case 5 spoilers:
There's actually a discussion in Case 5 at one point about whether or not the Mood Matrix findings can really count as evidence. The Judge waffles a bit on this - his verdict is that it doesn't count quite as much as real evidence but it's a permissible tool since it often opens up new testimony and/or exposes the importance of hard evidence.

Also: finished the game last night. Well. This morning, at 1:30 or so - it kept me up. Excellent overall: great music, fantastic animation, relatively strong cases, and I liked the relatively even-handed approach to having 3 attorneys on the team. I'm looking forward to the DLC, and really hoping that there's going to be an AA6 (end-of-game spoilers
especially given some of the hints about an over-arching 'dark age of law' plotline and the possible return of Maya
).

Sorian

Banned
even by being at the presence of a crime scene you're probably contaminating it in some way. Not like Nick ever uses gloves. Half the time he steals evidence from the crime scene (after a while it stopped being apparent that he was just documenting stuff and putting it into the court record). Even in Case 3 when he explicitly says not to touch anything
they just rifle through Courte's planner anyway

I don't really care since Ace Attorney is so utterly divorced from reality towards the prosecutor (onus of proof for most legal systems lies on the prosecution, not the defence!) that anything biasing it towards the defence is fine by me

lol I couldn't help but laugh when they did what was in the spoiler. I won't pretend that they are perfect about it but ah well :p

Sorian

Banned
Mostly because it's a legitimate thing Apollo does. Looking for nervous tics isn't even cheating, so Simon's attitude about it kind of annoyed me while playing. Don't get me wrong, I love Simon and he's one of the better prosecutors in the series, but it's just this one matter that annoys me otherwise.

Hey, he has to be a dick somehow, at least he didn't throw coffee at anyone!
Attack Taka!

Also: finished the game last night. Well. This morning, at 1:30 or so - it kept me up. Excellent overall: great music, fantastic animation, relatively strong cases, and I liked the relatively even-handed approach to having 3 attorneys on the team. I'm looking forward to the DLC, and really hoping that there's going to be an AA6 (end-of-game spoilers
especially given some of the hints about an over-arching 'dark age of law' plotline and the possible return of Maya
).

Dark age of law storyline is wrapped up. The only two things that ushered in the dark age have been cleared. Phoenix's forgery and Blackquill's murder conviction

Edit: Sorian's double post disappeared into Trucy's magic panties!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Still at the beginning of Case 3. Will there be any discussion on why
the jurist system
from the end of AA4 hasn't shown up yet?

omg omg omg omg

Case 5 spoilers (investigation, day 1):
PEARLS IS SO CUTE. Its like she never left! And the way they captured Maya's essence in her letter, I am just so happy. AND PEARLS' THEME, OMG

Sorian

Banned
Figures.

And spoiler your quote that I stealth edited. ;)

Sir yes sir.

Thought not really a spoiler if you haven't played AA4 IMO.

omg omg omg omg

Case 5 spoilers (investigation, day 1):
PEARLS IS SO CUTE. Its like she never left! And the way they captured Maya's essence in her letter, I am just so happy. AND PEARLS' THEME, OMG

Needs more angry face at Phoenix with shacking up with a new 18 year old

Sorian

Banned
I'm pretty sure she's so convinced Mr. Nick and Mystic Maya are a thing now she actually doesn't distrust him. LOVE CONQUERS ALL.

After 5 ace attorney games, I don't think there is anyone who Phoenix can end up with that would make the entire fan base happy. The man can never be happy T_T
or he has actually slept with every possible love interest and assistant he has ever had, the dark age of law indeed. Fuck it, he slept with Junie too, get yo shit out of here Apollo

After 5 ace attorney games, I don't think there is anyone who Phoenix can end up with that would make the entire fan base happy. The man can never be happy T_T
or he has actually slept with every possible love interest and assistant he has ever had, the dark age of law indeed. Fuck it, he slept with Junie too, get yo shit out of here Apollo
Apollo is too busy batting for the other team. Apollo x Clay ftw. I'm sure he'll find someone else in time.

Moonlight

Banned
This
mock
trial is brilliant as fuck. Getting put in the
judge
/
defendant
seat is inspired. And Athena is too great.

Top Bottom