• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Lotto

Just finished Case 2 last night; thought it was a pretty decent case.
I thought the part where Apollo goes into his "train of thought" and recalls everything about the case before finding out what he needs to was a neat touch. Made it all the better that I was able to get it all in one go lol

Still going though case 2, but I'm a bit sad they dropped the ability to present a person's profile. I take it they don't decide to just add it back in for a later case.

It seems like they made it so when you present evidence now it takes you straight to the type of evidence (person/objects) you need to present so you don't get caught in the wrong line of thinking. Presenting profiles freely to other witnesses and stuff was fun though, just to see what they said. I'll miss that too.

CorvoSol

Holy shit Case 3 Trial 1. God damn. Did not expect that ending. The next investigation and trial should be interesting.

Also, I love that "Dark Age of Law" theme or whatever it is called. It is epic and depressing at the same time.

My only problem with the "Dark Age of the Law" so far in the story is that as far as I can tell, things weren't better before it began. If it started 7 years ago, that was a year after the legal system had utterly failed and Phoenix Wright's farce of a disbarment had happened. Which was itself only months after the nonsense with the Prosecutorial Investigation Committee, which was something like two years after Phoenix had basically exposed the amazing scandal in the Police Dept. and Chief Prosecutor's Office. Which in turn was only a few months after he'd exposed that a certain Prosecutor Legend was a forger and a murderer.

The Dark Age of the Law feels like it has been going on basically since
Manfred von Karma shot Gregory Edgeworth.
At the very least.

Why does no one seem to speak that much about Rise from the Ashes? (in terms of "final cases") Loved that shit.

Rise from the Ashes is the best case in the series in my eyes, followed by Bridge to the Turnabout. The moment in Rise from the Ashes when you realize who done it and
that it goes straight to the top!
is insane. I LOVE that case.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Why does no one seem to speak that much about Rise from the Ashes? (in terms of "final cases") Loved that shit.

Because it was a basically a bonus case to AA1 added for the DS release, the actual final case was Turnabout Goodbyes.

Plus, some people just didn't like the Evidence Law shenanigans.

Fey

Banned

All of the three final cases from the original trilogy switch around in my top 3 favourite cases. Except for the video and Meekins in general, Rise from the Ashes was soo good and is probably only behind Farewell, My Turnabout. So many awesome characters introduced, too.

DaBoss

My only problem with the "Dark Age of the Law" so far in the story is that as far as I can tell, things weren't better before it began. If it started 7 years ago, that was a year after the legal system had utterly failed and Phoenix Wright's farce of a disbarment had happened. Which was itself only months after the nonsense with the Prosecutorial Investigation Committee, which was something like two years after Phoenix had basically exposed the amazing scandal in the Police Dept. and Chief Prosecutor's Office. Which in turn was only a few months after he'd exposed that a certain Prosecutor Legend was a forger and a murderer.

The Dark Age of the Law feels like it has been going on basically since
Manfred von Karma shot Gregory Edgeworth.
At the very least.

Was talking about the music lol.

Vamphuntr

Well I did on the last page :O. My favorite case 5 by far. Best investigation in the series. The only dumb thing for that case is the vase/blue badger thing.

PK Gaming

1. Ace Attorney Investigations. Miles Edgeworth is a slick, smooth-talking, confident, no-nonsense guy who can talk his way out of anything and using his mighty Attorney Power of LOGIC and CHESS he can and will stop international criminals. Edgeworth is second only to Phoenix.

2. Apollo was always great. He just doesn't have Klavier trying to do his job for him for a change, meaning he gets to shine a bit more. Polly-boy's next in line after Edgeworth.

As to the Prosecutor equation, it goes as follows:

Godot = Edgeworth > Manfred=Simon> Franziska > Winston=Gaspen> > > > Klavier
Haha, I seriously agree with everything you've said in this post, and I haven't even beaten the game yet!

Did any other RE6 fans/players notice the similarity between the sound effect for making correct choices in the "train of thought" sections for this and RE6's send-a-combo-over sound effect for Onslaught? I was \o/ because I love Onslaught! It sounds just like it, and when I first heard it, my mind IMMEDIATELY went to RE6's Onslaught mode and immersion kinda broke, haha, because I was so intrigued.

The sound effect

CorvoSol

Was talking about the music lol.

Song is dope, it is true.

Haha, I seriously agree with everything you've said in this post, and I haven't even beaten the game yet!

Edgeworth is such a badass that he doesn't need heightened senses, Wizard Magic Eyes, Psychic Spiritual Lie-Detecting and Channeling, or Super Turnabout Luck.

He does everything with LOGIC and CHESS and LOGICAL CHESS.

Fey

Banned
omg I accidentally clicked the spoiler thread and read a few posts. O_______O Thank god I had no idea what anyone was talking about.

Krabboss

Just found the scene of the crime in Case 3 and it looks promising. The first 2 cases were fairly bad, I thought. Too much convenient stuff happens to move the plot forward and it took Apollo forever to put 2 and 2 together in some spots in case 2. I know this has happened in previous games (it sucked then, too), but it feels a lot more frequent and a lot more severe in this game so far.

Edit: Reading through the last couple pages, it's good to see I'm not alone here. If case 2 is meant to be the low point, I can look forward to the rest of the game not following in its footsteps at least.

BlackJace

Rise from the Ashes is the best case in the series in my eyes, followed by Bridge to the Turnabout. The moment in Rise from the Ashes when you realize who done it and
that it goes straight to the top!
is insane. I LOVE that case.

Because it was a basically a bonus case to AA1 added for the DS release, the actual final case was Turnabout Goodbyes.

Plus, some people just didn't like the Evidence Law shenanigans.

All of the three final cases from the original trilogy switch around in my top 3 favourite cases. Except for the video and Meekins in general, Rise from the Ashes was soo good and is probably only behind Farewell, My Turnabout. So many awesome characters introduced, too.

The Badger video got repetitive, I admit (not worse than Turnabout Serenade, fuck). But yeah other than that I agree with you guys. For a bonus case, it really held up well. So much so that it feels like a better end to AA1 than with Case 4.

ohlawd

1-5 is the best case in the series and it will be the best forever.

No one will ever write a better case than that; not even me, man.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, I take it Aristotle Means' "Here have a gold star" thing is a crummy localisation, it doesn't match his gesture at all. What is the guy supposed to be saying?

Sorian

Banned
case 5 trial late spoilers

holy shit fake phoenix

PLEASE LET MY ATTORNEY'S BADGE BE THE DECISIVE EVIDENCE PLEASE

Fucking nightmare fuel. All of it, burn it all with fire.

Ok, I take it the "Here have a gold star" thing is a crummy translation. What is the guy supposed to be saying, it looks like he is giving an OK gesture.

No? He is a teacher giving you praise. A gold star is a form of praise from a teacher.

Fey

Banned
Aristotle Means - Arrest at all means. Woahhhh!

maya-shock.gif

I knew something was up with the name because "Means" felt like such a random last name but !!!!!!!

PK Gaming

Song is dope, it is true.

Edgeworth is such a badass that he doesn't need heightened senses, Wizard Magic Eyes, Psychic Spiritual Lie-Detecting and Channeling, or Super Turnabout Luck.

He does everything with LOGIC and CHESS and LOGICAL CHESS.
I never got to experience logic chess... man, I really gotta try out that AAI2 translation.

Sorian

Banned
case 5 end spoilers

god DAMN

that was horrifying, ahahaha

what a breakdown though, man

I'm still upset that the sniper didn't get the headshot. Not because I didn't like the guy but because who the hell hires such a piss poor sniper for such an important job
Fabulous breakdown though, still nightmare fuel.

The best name in the series has to go to Deid Mann, the victim of AAI-4.

The subtlety was so good that it clocked me up side the head with a rock and started tea bagging me as I lost consciousness.

Seems the Anime scenes are somewhat "non-canon" in that they often are inaccurate...for example, the Anime cutscene later on in Chapter 2 shows Apollo discovering the body, but in the actual plot it's someone else who does, which confused me a bit.

It's not inaccurate. Apollo discovered the body, but that doesn't mean he was the first one to discover it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I finished Case 4 and just started Case 5. Well, here's my reaction at how Case 4 ended

What what what what what whawhawhawhawhawhawhawha WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAWHAWHAWHAWHAWHA POIJOIJDPOIDJDOIDIDIHDIDIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!111111

GSR

Did any other RE6 fans/players notice the similarity between the sound effect for making correct choices in the "train of thought" sections for this and RE6's send-a-combo-over sound effect for Onslaught? I was \o/ because I love Onslaught! It sounds just like it, and when I first heard it, my mind IMMEDIATELY went to RE6's Onslaught mode and immersion kinda broke, haha, because I was so intrigued.

The sound effect

Oh geez, I never even noticed it, but yeah it does sound pretty similar. Capcom got that limited sound bank.

Gartooth

Just finished up the rest of Case 3 today and got to the beginning of Case 4.

[case 3]
I died at Athena posing with a sheet over her in court, that has to be one of the craziest moments ever in the Ace Attorney series to make her model Wright. Also Means transformation was a complete WTF, looked absolutely ridiculous.

So far this is a great Ace Attorney game, my only qualm so far involved Case 2 and how it dragged on for a long time, and just in general the plot of that case wasn't all that interesting. Also at this point it was a bit disingenuous of Capcom to market Phoenix Wright as the main character since so far he has spent half the game as a supporting character who shows up time to time, if anything it feels like Athena is the main character considering she has had the most screen time so far.

Top Bottom