• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Jintor

Gotcha. I skimmed through the beginnings of episode 1 again just to confirmed.

Gotcha.gif

CrazyDude

Seriously, there needs to be a rule to have the first word on a spoiler title be SPOILER. It's way to easy to get threads mixed up otherwise.

Fireblend

Banned
Just finished case 2. No idea what some of you guys are talking about criticizing it so much. It wasn't that long (it seemed to me like a normal 2 investigations / 2 court dates case), it had pretty good twists, a detestable villain that I was oh-so-glad to put behind bars and the rest of the cast was pretty enjoyable. I could see people not liking the mystical theme or the accused's attitude for most of the case, but it was definitely far from boring, badly paced or any other of the exaggerated complaints I see here.

On to case 3!

MechaX

Just finished Case 5.

... Holy fucking shit. This was a really, really good AA game. Probably up there with T&T as one of my favorites. The case was incredibly awesome and it even had a twist I didn't even see coming.
I was expecting Clay to have faked his death or some BS, but I genuinely didn't see Fulbright coming.

Moonlight

Banned
I just met Myriam Scuttlebutt. Holy shit, I'm dying. Oh my god. Oh my god. Holy shit.

#dead

EDIT: THESE ANIMATIONS I AM ON THE FLOOR

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just got to the first trial of case 3 and can already tell this shit is going to be crazy.

Also, sss.
The mock mock trial was pretty hilarious. Especially Athena's "Order! Order!! Especially you Apollo" with the super angry face for a brief second. Even mock judges are thirsty for defense blood!

R0ckman

Hey does anyone know if
Professor Mean's Breakdown/UltimateForm/BeserkMode transformation
music has a name or something? It was awesome.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I found Myriam kind of annoying...

But otherwise Case 3 was solid, really kept me guessing, and I felt very connected to the characters.

CASE 3 ENDING SPOILERS

Professor Means' freak-out mode is the best, seriously. The Mohawk, the spinning the globe like a basketball, the chalk board...and he was such a delightfully vicious character too.

Man, the ending to Case 2 is just crazy. I thought I had most of the basics figured out going into the last trial, but then they just completely rip the floor out from you.
Filch being Tenma Taro blew my mind, and then everything starts getting crazy and you get that moment where you realize that Tenma wasn't even in the room, and is actually the Amazing Nine-Tails, and then things just spiral from there.

Definitely a real moment of turning the case on its head. And this is the case people thought was the weakest?

Krabboss

All of the anime cutscenes are soooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Definitely a real moment of turning the case on its head. And this is the case people thought was the weakest?
Yeah, it's very poorly written. A ton of stuff happens because it's convenient to the plot and not because it makes any kind of sense.

For clarification:

The town's hidden secret is guarded by the most simplistic and most nonsensical puzzle in the world. Why would the alderman keep up a wall that basically spells out how to get to the gold so long as you have a first grade education? And why did it take Apollo and Athena so long to be like "Hey... wait a minute!"
The fact that the killer talks about the statue with the cup while giving testimony for no other reason than to give you something to object to. And the fact that the police missed the broken cup in their first sweep of the room despite it being RIGHT UNDER THE TABLE THE ALDERMAN DIED ON
Filch and the Mayor both not noticing eachother while in the Tanma chamber and Filch being LITERALLY BLINDED by the light entering the room when the door was opened
Also just the leaps in logic made by both sides of the court during the trial made the case very hard to follow or care about.
The Tanma suit was somehow carried by the wind long enough for it to look like it was flying before it escaped the view of anybody who saw it. This is a little pedantic and it wasn't very important to the plot, but I'm 99.9% sure that suit would have looked like a suit and nothing like a mythical beast.
There's more but I'm too lazy to think of anything.

789shadow

Banned
By the end of Case 2 I really had no earthly idea what happened during the crime. But even though it's the game's weakest case, it's still pretty good.

rekameohs

Banned
CASE 3 ENDING SPOILERS

Professor Means' freak-out mode is the best, seriously. The Mohawk, the spinning the globe like a basketball, the chalk board...and he was such a delightfully vicious character too.

That villain is easily my favorite in the series' "filler cases". Certainly the funniest.

Moonlight

Banned
Honestly, the typos aren't a big deal for me. I guess I'm blind to them, or I kind of mentally correct what I read, but I didn't seem to notice most of the time. I actually noticed more in Case 3 than Case 2, lol.

Beth Cyra

2 and a half cases in and I'm of two minds so far.

Phoenix, Apollo, and the 3D. All of them, fucking amazing and all I know is it has already made it so the game I want most in this world is AA1 remade in this engine. Would be the greatest thing ever.

Athena, jesus christ I can't stand this god damn character. Easily the single worst thing to come out of AA franchise and while I understand she is at the core of the brand new mechanic, I rather it just not be here and this character not exist so PW and Apollo could just do their thing.

FluxWaveZ

Athena, jesus christ I can't stand this god damn character. Easily the single worst thing to come out of AA franchise and while I understand she is at the core of the brand new mechanic, I rather it just not be here and this character not exist so PW and Apollo could just do their thing.

But why...

I think Athena brings a very welcome and unique dynamic to the Wright Anything Agency.

789shadow

Banned
ibrpbXrozDxYRF.gif

rekameohs

Banned
This is the same team that made AAI and AAI2, so convoluted murder plots are expected. I honestly didn't think Case 2's was all that ridiculous, and I especially liked how in Case 3, (warning, mild AA3 and AAI spoilers inside)
your initial suspicions are more convoluted than what really happened, which never has really happened in the AA series before. You ride with this crazy "body flying through the air" theory for a while, but then you find out that no, it was just a simple stabbing on the stage. I thought that was a little wink toward the goofy murder in AA3-5 with the body flying across the bridge on a rope, and to AAI-5, with the "Great Statue Swap Crossbow Caper" or whatever the heck that was.

2 and a half cases in and I'm of two minds so far.

Phoenix, Apollo, and the 3D. All of them, fucking amazing and all I know is it has already made it so the game I want most in this world is AA1 remade in this engine. Would be the greatest thing ever.

Really? I actually rather like Athena. She's no Maya, but kinda reminds me of old Phoenix. Could do with less outbursts though. I prefer her to Apollo's stupid Chords of Steel schtick. Glad they toned the latter down in this game; I wanted to strangle him in AA4.

Moonlight

Banned
Yeah, really digging Athena. She's a likable character with some good insight and manages to pull off the rookie angle (that Apollo more or less occupied in his game) without feeling utterly incapable of solving things on her own. And calling her 'easily the worst thing to come out of the AA franchise' is some hyperbole after the likes of Lotta Hart.

And she's the first playable female defense attorney!
That doesn't die.

Beth Cyra

But why...

I think Athena brings a very welcome and unique dynamic to the Wright Anything Agency.
She brings nothing Unique at all besides being a female attorney. Her ability is the worst support ability yet, and she is just loud and annoying.

I'm all for a leading lady, I just don't need another rookie who is loud, ugly as hell, and has really dumb gimmick.

789shadow

Banned
Fuck Lotta Hart and Larry Butz. Their schtick got old so fucking fast. Oldbag is okay because seeing Edgeworth lose his shit is always hysterical.

Beth Cyra

Yeah, really digging Athena. She's a likable character with some good insight and manages to pull off the rookie angle (that Apollo more or less occupied in his game) without feeling utterly incapable of solving things on her own. And calling her 'easily the worst thing to come out of the AA franchise' is some hyperbole after the likes of Lotta Hart.

And she's the first playable female defense attorney!
That doesn't die.

No hyperbole. Even Lotta and Oldbag serve their purposes well and I never got sick of seeing them and their wacky antics.

FluxWaveZ

She brings nothing Unique at all besides being a female attorney. Her ability is the worst support ability yet, and she is just loud and annoying.

I'm all for a leading lady, I just don't need another rookie who is loud, ugly as hell, and has really dumb gimmick.

Man, I totally disagree. The fact that she's prone to emotional outbursts and is a total go-getter is a very different dynamic than how Phoenix and Apollo act.

I think this conveys just how different she is than the others:

In the storyboards above, you can see that Athena returns the guard’s salute before going up the stairs. The guard then turns to salute another, older lawyer who completely ignores him. Mr. Nagasaki’s intention with this short exchange was to convey just how good of a person Athena is at heart, and how naïve she is about the pecking order, among other things, in the world of law.

At the second trial portion of case 3, honestly I don't buy for one second who the game keeps trying to convince me is the killer. I continue to suspect the real killer is
prof mean, he has the most to gain from the victims death and his ends justify the means mentality could easily lead to him justifying murder and framing a student to eliminate the plague that is "truth

Course I could be wrong, honestly this game has done a far better job at keeping me guessing compared to AJ or AAI.

Also I think Simon may arguably be the best prosecutor in the series. It's truly a pleasure to feel challenged by a prosecutor after the last few games.

This game has gotten me to appreciate Apollo Justice more, both as a character and as a game. He's far more interesting as a support character and his percieve ability being moved to outside the court was a really great decision. I am surprised at Trucy's incredibly reduced role, I assumed she's be like Pearl as a second assistant, as opposed to being borderline cameo material. I also really enjoyed how case 3 helped to establish why Klavier was so different from past prosecutors, it doesn't make him less boring of a rival in court but as a character he's grown on me.

R0ckman

But why...

Handled shittly character wise, abuses objection too much, its annoying after it happens like 6 times in a trial.

On case 3 I found that the reason behind the murder was disappointing. Actually sucked ass now that I think about it. I
was expecting prof means to kill her because he was wanting to finally get rid of her and have full control over the teaching method and push his ideals. It turns out he was just exposed for a shitty 2D money making scheme freaked out and killed her over it which is slightly out of character to me.

Jintor

Case 4 Post-Verdict

WHAT?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!

ohlawd

Athena looks like Nanoha so it's my job to love her.

Also her surprised face when she has her fingers on her face (while talking normally, not the defense desk one) - too cute, man.

Beth Cyra

Handled shittly character wise, abuses objection too much, its annoying after it happens like 6 times in a trial.

This is how I feel as well. I just want her to shut up and let Apollo and PW handle things. It doesn't help that I can't stand the sound of her voice actress. Any time I hear her clips I feel bile rise in my throat.

Leeness

For how much I was dreading Athena (because of how much I hated Kay (to me, she's the worst thing this series has ever wrought) and the 18 year old lawyer thing) I actually find her really endearing and I'm really liking her.

I also like the three lawyer dynamic in general, to see who they are from your perspective and it see how they are from others perspectives.

Top Bottom