• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

NotLiquid

Case 5 Trial 2
HOW AM I DRAWING SO MANY PARALLELS AND ACTUAL EXPLANATIONS TO THE KILLER'S M.O. WITHOUT ACTUALLY HAVING ANY LEAD WHO THIS PERSON IS

THIS IS ACTUALLY SCARING ME

I feel so silly buying a 3ds only for this game.
Are there actually more detective games / visual novel's on the 3ds worth playing?
I know that you can play DS games on them but I've played almost every visual novel and detective game on these, like the ace attorney's and Hotel Dusk (awesome, awesome game and such a shame Cinq aren't there anymore).

And how is the Eshop? Can you actually buy DS and GBA games there?

Sorian

Banned
Case 5 Trial 2
HOW AM I DRAWING SO MANY PARALLELS AND ACTUAL EXPLANATIONS TO THE KILLER'S M.O. WITHOUT ACTUALLY HAVING ANY LEAD WHO THIS PERSON IS

THIS IS ACTUALLY SCARING ME

Please come post when you figure out who it is. I love first impression freak outs.

Javier

Are there actually more detective games / visual novel's on the 3ds worth playing?
I know that you can play DS games on them but I've played almost every visual novel and detective game on these, like the ace attorney's and Hotel Dusk (awesome, awesome game and such a shame Cinq aren't there anymore).

Obligatory "9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors" and "Virtue's Last Reward" post. The first is a DS game and the latter is a 3DS (and Vita) game, and both part of the Zero Escape series. It is highly recommended you play them in order, but only VLR is downloadable from the eShop. Both are also rated M, but they're considerably darker than AA: Dual Destinies.

No GBA and DS on eShop, sadly. Well, at least not yet. Nintendo stated they will release GBA on Wii U (Yes, they did), but no word on 3DS. They COULD show up, but who knows. Older titles on 3DS eShop right now have GB, GBC, NES and Game Gear.

Have you played the Touch Detective games for the DS? They're a little obscure, but good quirky fun.

For Japanese adventure games and visual novels specifically for the 3DS, there's Attack of the Friday Monsters in the eShop, which is pretty charming, and Hakuoki, which is a straight-up visual novel and so may not be to your tastes. I suppose Layton counts too.

NotLiquid

vHUguGk.gif

aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

NO

NO

NO FUCKING WAY

AAAAAAAGKJFDGHKJDFGHJDKFHGKJDFHGKJDHFGKJH

OH MY FUCKING G-

HOW THE FUCK

WHAT THE

HOW THE FUCK DID THEY PULL THIS OFF

I CAN'T

R.I.P

Beginning of case 4:
Ace Attorney is going all Space Brothers on me! Still at the day 1 trial, but the case seems quite interesting. Didn't realize Apollo got his eye fucked up before the explosion, I guess it will be explained later on. On another note, seems that Phoenix has only two cases in the game (presuming you do play as him in case 5). Not that I'm complaining, Apollo has turned into a really likable and interesting character after he was such a non-entity personality wise in AA4. Could have been a good idea to have the dlc-case inside the main game though, as I'm sure some fans who were expecting Phoenix to be the protagonist for most of the game might be disappointed by this.

Sorian

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/vHUguGk.gif[img]

NO

[B]NO[/B]

NO FUCKING WAY

OH MY FUCKING G-

HOW THE FUCK

WHAT THE

[B]HOW THE FUCK DID THEY PULL THIS OFF

I CAN'T[/B][/QUOTE]

This reaction is delicious.

Sorian

Banned
Beginning of case 4:
Ace Attorney is going all Space Brothers on me! Still at the day 1 trial, but the case seems quite interesting. Didn't realize Apollo got his eye fucked up before the explosion, I guess it will be explained later on. On another note, seems that Phoenix has only two cases in the game (presuming you do play as him in case 5). Not that I'm complaining, Apollo has turned into a really likable and interesting character after he was such a non-entity personality wise in AA4. Could have been a good idea to have the dlc-case inside the main game though, as I'm sure some fans who were expecting Phoenix to be the protagonist for most of the game might be disappointed by this.

I would consider the first case as phoenix's as well.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

I also buy my Nintendo portables because Ace Attorney is there.

I've found there's other worthwhile games (albeit in different genres). I know it's not strictly the answer you were looking for... and yes I do too mourn the losss of Cing.

Artemisia

Banned

Check out 999 for DS and the follow up, Virtue's Last Reward on 3DS.

MechaX

vHUguGk.gif

NO

NO

NO FUCKING WAY

OH MY FUCKING G-

HOW THE FUCK

WHAT THE

HOW THE FUCK DID THEY PULL THIS OFF

I CAN'T

I think a game manages to pull off a twist very, very well if this kind of reaction is actually quite common place.

Obligatory "9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors" and "Virtue's Last Reward" post. The first is a DS game and the latter is a 3DS (and Vita) game, and both part of the Zero Escape series. It is highly recommended you play them in order, but only VLR is downloadable from the eShop. Both are also rated M, but they're considerably darker than AA: Dual Destinies.

No GBA and DS on eShop, sadly. Well, at least not yet. Nintendo stated they will release GBA on Wii U (Yes, they did), but no word on 3DS. They COULD show up, but who knows. Older titles on 3DS eShop right now have GB, GBC, NES and Game Gear.

Thanks for the reply!
But I've already played these Zero Escape games ;-) Well it shows that it was a good advice from you.

But yeah, Hotel Dusk, Ace Attorney and 999 are really BRILLIANT games :) And I'm really fond of Famicom Tantei Club II.

But it really sucks that Nintendo isn't really showing any progress in putting up GBA and DS titles on the Eshop, just like Sony isn't putting all their PS1 and PS2 titles on PSN.

Now that I've finished the game, let me list off my favorite things from each case:

Case 1- Tonate's breakdown, Juniper's everything.

Case 2- Revealing the true identity of The Amazing Nine-Tails, L'BELLE'S THEME.

Case 3- Means' transformation, Athena's statue posing (along with her Objection theme playing).

Case 4- The setting (one of my favorites in the series), everything about Starbuck.

Case 5- Um, everything? I gasped in surprise so many times during this case. Fantastic all around, especially at Fulbright's reveal.

Oh, and I'd like to mention that one thing that this game has over AA4 is that the defendants are actually likable this time around. Seriously, I didn't care for any of the defendants in AA4, and that goes especially for Phoenix.

RE: The Case 5 Twist

Suddenly it makes sense why Fulbright seemed to lack personality compared to Gumshoe and Ema!

Wow, I never thought about it that way before. I wonder if that was intentional...?

Wolff

This thread got me hyped for the game. Unfortunately i only played the first two games. Next week i'm getting 3 and AJ then.

Case 2 Second investigation spoiler :

HOW DO I OPEN THE DOOR ? I'm stuck, talked to everyone (I think ?). I have to investigate the fox chamber... It seems I should move the two fox statues but I can't figure out how ?

Sorian

Banned

HOW DO I OPEN THE DOOR ? I'm stuck, talked to everyone (I think ?). I have to investigate the fox chamber... It seems I should move the two fox statues but I can't figure out how ?

Inspect the folding screen, you also need to find all the other evidence in the room first so if the folding screen doesn't do anything , search around more.

Leezard

investigate the folding screeen more.

Frolow

Banned

Investigate the
folding screen.

bonercop

Did anyone else find it much harder to buy that this game took place in the US compared to other titles in the series?

In AA1-4 I didn't have too hard of a time believing it. You had the Kurain village stuff of course, but it was balanced out by all sorts of crazy shit like Detective Marshall in AA1 or "lake gourdy" that it just made the AA world seem like a weird place without cultural boundaries.

In this one, though:
it feels really hard to ignore where the game takes place in the original version. "Japanese immigrants" setting up the case 2 town(lol). Liberal use of terms like "Yokai" and honorifics. Case 3 being in a clearly japanese school with japanese customs. Case 4/5 involving a space center called gyAxa(Jaxa) and so on!

In this one, though:
it feels really hard to ignore where the game takes place in the original version. "Japanese immigrants" setting up the case 2 town(lol). Liberal use of terms like "Yokai" and honorifics. Case 3 being in a clearly japanese school with japanese customs. Case 4/5 involving a space center called gyAxa(Jaxa) and so on!

Eh, only case 2 was the worst offender in that regard. I'm willing to buy it since Jap- I mean California has a sizable Japanese population.

Did anyone else find it much harder to buy that this game took place in the US compared to other titles in the series?

In AA1-4 I didn't have too hard of a time believing it. You had the Kurain village stuff of course, but it was balanced out by all sorts of crazy shit like Detective Marshall in AA1 or "lake gourdy" that it just made the AA world seem like a weird place without cultural boundaries.

In this one, though:

yeah, definitely

i thought most strange was the constant use of "yokai"

that's certainly not a word in your average english-speaker's vocabulary, and i think they would've been just fine replacing it with "monster"

still, i bet they were certainly regretting trying to set the localized version in america, heh

In this one, though:

Only played up to case 4, but I think they got lucky with loosely setting the world of AA in around California (IIRC), especially for Case 2 where you can write it off with the history of Japanese immigrants and the gold rush.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I don't remember catching this many errors in previous games. They probably skimped on proof reading.

bonercop

yeah, definitely

i thought most strange was the constant use of "yokai"

that's certainly not a word in your average english-speaker's vocabulary, and i think they would've been just fine replacing it with "monster"

still, i bet they were certainly regretting trying to set the localized version in america, heh

eh, at the end of the day, I stilll think that was a good decision. I don't know what I'd do without the punny names.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Oh my gosh, that Cosmos theme!!! It is SOOOOO good. Iwadare!!! <3

I don't really want to talk about the game until I beat it, but I can say for certain that this is easily one of the best games in the franchise so far. Only AA3 tops it in pure awesome :)

Moonlight

Banned
Man, some of the voice acting in this game is utterly deplorable.
Hugh
's scream of anguish on Case 3 Trial 2 was WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR tier.

Hcoregamer00

Yeah, and I hate to say it, but Fullbright grew on me by the time I started Case 5. So the impossible has happened and I actually LIKE his character.

What is wrong me with me??

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Man, some of the voice acting in this game is utterly deplorable.
Hugh
's scream of anguish on Case 3 Trial 2 was WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR tier.

Did Capcom hire real VA's for this game yet, or are they still just having the programers do them?

Also bugs me that there are character who talk in the anime cutscenes, but still don't have voiced "Hold it!" lines.

Hcoregamer00

Nothing wrong with liking a good character.

Him and Juniper are prime examples (for me) where I initially didn't like them (a lot) and subsequent appearances after the initial appearances made them grow on me to the point that I kind of miss them when they do not appear every now and then.

Gotta give it to the AA guys, they know how to make some really endearing people.

Oh yeah, and Cosmos is the best character EVER. He has the best music, best design, and best personality. HE BETTER MAKE FUTURE CAMEOS OR I WILL HURT SOMEONE.

Top Bottom