• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Gartooth

I admit I wasn't sold on Athena at first, she just seemed really emotional and I found her constant outbursts and tantrums in court just annoying. However, after getting farther through the game she is probably one of my favorite sidekick characters in the series competing right with Maya for the top spot. (undecided on who I enjoyed better, probably Maya given how long she has been a part of the series though)

Sorian

Banned
I admit I wasn't sold on Athena at first, she just seemed really emotional and I found her constant outbursts and tantrums in court just annoying. However, after getting farther through the game she is probably one of my favorite sidekick characters in the series competing right with Maya for the top spot. (undecided on who I enjoyed better, probably Maya given how long she has been a part of the series though)

That's the beauty of the game. None of Phoenix, Apollo, or Athena are actually side kick characters.

Gartooth

That's the beauty of the game. None of Phoenix, Apollo, or Athena are actually side kick characters.

That's a really good point. It was enjoyable to see every side of a character through different perspectives, sometimes they were leading the case and others they were helping a fellow attorney lead it. In that sense those three truly felt like a team, and that team dynamic I think worked incredibly well to every character's advantage. It's something new to the AA series, but I completely love it and hope they continue down this path.

Kazerei

Banned
Just finished the game. Case 5 is OMG AMAZING SO GOOD I CAN'T BELIEVE DAT TWIST DAT OTHER TWIST WTFFFFF EPIC

Now off to the spoiler thread!

Draxal

I think I would have liked Athena more if she was 23ish ... Or a more normal age for a rookie lawyer.

Man, its a shame Mia never got a full game of her own.

Draxal

Don't talk about Space Larry like that, man is a legend.

So only rookie prosecutors can be 18?

Edgeworth was supposed to be a genius beyond all geniuses and Athena isn't.

And also Athena doesn't have that crazy Von Karma ties/drive.

I will say that I did not like Franziska and Mia was easily my favorite female protag.

doraemoe

Just finished this game, the last case is amazing. But what's wrong with all those text missing problem? It's just me or anyone else has the same problem?

Just some thoughts on case 5 overall. Major spoilers.

The best part of case 5 was definitely just the confirmation that Phoenix was never truly alone. I loved when Edgeworth went up to him and apologized for not being able to do anything back when he lost his badge due to the whole Kristoph thing. The idea that Maya has been visiting and just hanging out with Phoenix over the past seven or so years was the tiny detail missing from AA4.

It felt like Phoenix was all alone, and while I never actually believed that, the game not saying anything certainly didn't help. These people are bound to each other so deeply at this point that the notion of them not sticking together is impossible to imagine.

In that sense, even Maya's letter was enough for me this game. She didn't need to show up (in an already crowded game). She just needed to be 'present' in some form.

I definitely shed some tears in case 5.

Also, I took a ton of shots of the Visual Book which has a TON of cool concept art. Can't post here sadly. Athena went through some CRAZY transformations.

Sorian

Banned

I will say that I did not like Franziska and Mia was easily my favorite female protag.

Except (end game spoilers)
Athena certainly did have the drive, she knew that Blackquill would be executed and had to become a lawyer before then, her intellect really isn't anything to sneeze at either, she acts like a ditz but you can tell she got her mother's brains. Also, let's be honest, I love Edgy as much as the next guy but he is about as much of a genius as Hugh is

Klavier was 17 when he prosecuted his first case, which is even more ridiculous.

Zornica

Banned
Just started case #3. I think I know where this is going...
Let's see if I am right.
I am not sure why but this is the first AA game where I always felt in control. I always knew what I had to do, even without reading the hints. Did they dumb it down? Or did I get better?

Draxal

Klavier was 17 when he prosecuted his first case, which is even more ridiculous.

Another reason for me not to like him. It just seems like they keep on trying to worf Edgeworth by making the genius/youth much more common when it was a BIG deal in the first game.

And for Edgeworth not being a genius, he did figure out that utterly contrived AAI case 5. Do we have to post that synopsis again.

Anyway my top 5 fav important chars in no order of the series are Judge (he rocks so hard in this game), Mia, Godot, Phoenix and Gumshoe. I think I just like the older characters in general, and it's not a knock on Athena, it's just I think I would have liked her more if she was older.

Let's see if I am right.
I am not sure why but this is the first AA game where I always felt in control. I always knew what I had to do, even without reading the hints. Did they dumb it down? Or did I get better?

I feel the same way. They definitely tell you where to go and even tell you what statement is fishy if you get to the end of testimony without finding the solution.

Draxal

Let's see if I am right.

Do they give you alot more hints in this game, but experience also matter a good amount.

Let's not give Edgeworth all the credit. Larry really solved the case.

I really want to play that case again ... but at the same time ... OMG NONONONONONONO is ticking in my head.

It's why I'm kinda glad that the end game guy went kinda quickly in this game

Only time will tell.
This spoiler reveals nothing you fool

FOOL! What right do you have to post a fake spoiler my legend dates back to the 12th century!

Edit: calling it now
the shuttle launch and museum were switched during the murder which will change everything

Sorian

Banned
I really want to play that case again ... but at the same time ... OMG NONONONONONONO is ticking in my head.

It's why I'm kinda glad that the end game guy went kinda quickly in this game

I've been thinking the same recently, at least the case is really good through the mid boss!

End game spoiler
I think he went a little too quickly in this game. I feel like we broke his easy-going smug exterior but we never really got that transformation into a complete asshole.

Anyone have footage of the Japanese Quiz DLC? Wanted to see what that looks like and I can't seem to find anything on Youtube.

In the first quiz DLC (it was free), you had to answer 5 questions. They were all MCQs or point-the-correct-spot-in-the-picture affairs.

at least we have AAvPL to look forward to, right???

...right?

for whatever reason i just can't get excited about it

It was a good game. There were some nice twists added to court proceedings, but the last case was pretty weak.

You should hope Tatsurou Iwamoto meet Kinu Nishimura somewhere in a conference or expo so we can get "official" crossover art of Ace Attorney/999.
That FEA/AA crossover art because Yuusuke Kozaki and Tatsurou Iwamoto met together in Japan Expo is awesome, and should be repeated as much as possible.

What crossover art?!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got to the second trial of case 3. Random musings/predictions:
Despite the finger pointing to Hugh I think Means is going to be the killer, just seems like a character that has somewhat been in the backseat actually having a bigger role here. His constant talk of essentially fabricating shit clashes with the victim's ideals here and I would not be surprised if it led to bad blood as the whole school was practically getting split. It also seemed like from the overview of the mock trial he had his own staircase, so I'm gonna guess he is also not restricted like the student body to widen the suspect list being the trio here. And then there's him trying to be her defense, which he would then make evidence to get all of them off(and also himself) and incriminate someone else.

Of course, these games always blindside me with what really happens so I guess I'll see! I blame the smile, shit is just not okay.

zhorkat

Another reason for me not to like him. It just seems like they keep on trying to worf Edgeworth by making the genius/youth much more common when it was a BIG deal in the first game.

And for Edgeworth not being a genius, he did figure out that utterly contrived AAI case 5. Do we have to post that synopsis again.

Anyway my top 5 fav important chars in no order of the series are Judge (he rocks so hard in this game), Mia, Godot, Phoenix and Gumshoe. I think I just like the older characters in general, and it's not a knock on Athena, it's just I think I would have liked her more if she was older.

Edgeworth's not really a genius. That the Japanese American judicial system treats him and Athena and the von Karmas like geniuses is merely because the European educational system is so inherently superior. :p

Oh man. I've just gotten to the part in case 2 where
Apollo's going through the evidence of the mask and the white hair in his head.

The way the text appears on the screen...this shit is so cool.

Moonlight

Banned
Alright, Case 3 done. What a fucking ride. Holy shit. It was hysterical, it was heartwarming, it was... probably one of my favourite Ace Attorney cases ever. I actually thought I was smarter than the case for one long, naive moment. Then
Robin
happened and then literally everything else and... god, that was great. Really loved
Prof. Means
, as well. Even before
his
transformation, I feel like it was the first witness in a while to seriously challenge me. Seriously, I was already sweating bullets by the first testimony. Shit was locked up.
And when you're forced to concede that testimony, oh man
. And then their final form happened and... oh fuck, that was too good. Loved the animations in particular, the
whiteboard
stuff was totally inspired. And the way it played into that breakdown... oh man, it might be a bit premature of me to say right now, but I am pretty sure this game has the absolute greatest breakdown animations of the entire franchise. The pay-off has been enormously gratifying for each and every case.

Also,
Hugh
is a character I didn't expect I'd have a turn around on (more like a turn about dohohoho).
He was a pretentious twat, but the way they turned that on its' ear was straight up magnificent. When everyone is TOTALLY UNSURPRISED (even Judgie!) that he was not, in fact, a genius... man, that was gold. I wouldn't so much say I like him now, but they really got some mileage out of the impression he was so insistent on enforcing.

Really, as far as the
red oni, blue oni pair went, Robin was by far the king. Or should I say queen!
Seriously, finding about that was absolutely bonkers.

And, I'd be remiss not to mention my new favourite witness: Myriam Scuttlebutt. An absolute scene stealer, seriously. The mere idea of her is utterly inspired, and the execution was absolutely hysterical. Seriously, her animations were on another level. Especially that surprised one where all her supplies start tumbling out, lol. And, surprisingly enough, supplied the most heartwarming moment in the game for me.
Yeah, I'll admit that the friendship stuff between the trio didn't actually sell me too much, but that bit after the first trial where you're trying to console Myriam and then make her promise to ask Juniper and co to hang out for her actually got me. Was adorable, simply put. And speaking of adorable, she's pretty cute under the box, too!

Loved that you got to ride in Athena's head for this case, too. Did a bit of that in the introductory case, but it's great seeing how she copes with a whole case to herself. And honestly seeing Apollo in the co-pilot seat actually tickled me a lot for some reason. Was nice seeing him to advise the lead after... well, an entire game of him totally bulldozed over by the co-pilot. More on Athena, though, loved how different she felt in terms of internal narrative and general personality against Apollo and Phoenix (and beside that point, I so dig the mythological theme of the main cast), managed to sell the in-over-their-head rookie without feeling like a rehash of Apollo. Oh, and her Objection theme is glorious.

On that note, I really love how the game has handled its' main cast as a whole. It's not a game about Phoenix, it's not a game about Apollo, it's not a game about Athena. It is, however, a game about the Wright Anything Agency, and I really dig how they push the idea of the team. Just stuff like Apollo Perceiving people while you're, well, not Apollo is a great move, I thought.

Blackquill stepped his game the fuck up from Case 2, as well. Goddamn. Have to admit that he was really throwing me for a loop for a good while, there.

On that note, I really love Blackquill's design. The hybrid of suit and samurai outfit just works.

Oh, and this applies just as much to Case 2, but the Thought Route stuff? Amazing. So satisfying to see the whole case lined up in a big timeline and putting everything into perspective. I'm really hoping this becomes a new Thing with Ace Attorney games going forward.

Helps that it's been the funniest case thus far. So much stuff absolutely wrecked me, and I'll admit even a few of the MGS jokes snuck up on me.

But, I dunno if it's just me, but I have one complaint about it that I'd actually consider bringing up: is it just me, or did the case really abuse the last minute HOLD IT/cuts to the rest of the gallery? Maybe I'm mis-remembering how often that card was played in the previous Ace Attorney games, but I swear that it happened less in one whole game than it did here. I guess this isn't much more than a silly quibble, but I felt like the last minute HOLD IT or OBJECTION by some unknown party was a really effective seat-of-your-pants event. I can't help but think they wound up majorly overplaying it. Kinda damaged the tension of the case as a whole, I thought.

Also vaguely disappointed that
you didn't seriously get to 'shock' Blackquill (metaphorically, I mean) too much in the case. I love shaking the confidence of prosecutors, and Blackquill pretty much had his shit together throughout the final turnabout.

So yeah, amazing case.

And
Junie
is the best girl, oh man. So sweet.

Poor girl got interrupted spilling her heart out(?) to Apollo near the end of that case, too.
OTP forever.

Onward to case 4! Here's hoping it's as good.

Forgot this game even existed. So glad I saw this thread. Insta-bought. I'm just sad I am 6 days late. How does this version compare to past versions? As good as 3? Better than 4? Worse than 2?

My past rating was: 3 > 1 > 4 = 2

Frolow

Banned
Forgot this game even existed. So glad I saw this thread. Insta-bought. I'm just sad I am 6 days late. How does this version compare to past versions? As good as 3? Better than 4? Worse than 2?

My past rating was: 3 > 1 > 4 = 2

I'd say it's about as good as 1 is. Definitely pick it up.

Top Bottom