• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Just finished case 2. I really like Athena. Probably my favourite new character so far.

Case 3 time!

Yeah, Athena is definitely one of my favorite characters, though to be fair I like most of the cast in the game. Even the Villains are somewhat likable (though Case 5 may change my mind)

Sorian

Banned
Did Capcom hire real VA's for this game yet, or are they still just having the programers do them?

Also bugs me that there are character who talk in the anime cutscenes, but still don't have voiced "Hold it!" lines.

More annoying when someone says Hold It or Objection and their voice clip doesn't play because the game wants to make it a mystery. I like hearing the voice even if they aren't in the courtroom and its a surprise they just showed up, that's a better shock to me.

Wazzy

Banned
Yeah, Athena is definitely one of my favorite characters, though to be fair I like most of the cast in the game. Even the Villains are somewhat likable (though Case 5 may change my mind)
Oh totally. I'm really liking everyone so far.

And case 3 wahhhh
Juniper looks way better here

Sorian

Banned

I can say with utmost certainty that you will enjoy the case 5 villian so if you have enjoyed everyone so far it looks like your general impression of the characters in this game are good.

Seriously, regarding Junie

Serious Cool Junper > Sunflower Lovey Dovey Juniper

This is also factual information.

Hcoregamer00

Oh totally. I'm really liking everyone so far.

And case 3 wahhhh
Juniper looks way better here

Seriously, regarding Junie

Serious Cool Junper > Sunflower Lovey Dovey Juniper

I can say with utmost certainty that you will enjoy the case 5 villian so if you have enjoyed everyone so far it looks like your general impression of the characters in this game are good.

Fullbright was the only character I didn't like, but after Case 3 and 4 he pretty much won me over. So yeah, I pretty much like the entire cast of the game (so far)

MechaX

Did Capcom hire real VA's for this game yet, or are they still just having the programers do them?

Well, Sam Riegel is Phoenix and Wendee Lee is Athena, so they at least hired actual VAs.

With that said, it still sounds like the VAs hammered out all of their lines in single takes in the span of 30 minutes for the anime cutscenes.

Gestahl

Did anyone else think the witness testimony writing was really weak this time around? Just compare any of them to Sahwit's first testimony, there's almost a world of difference.

Otherwise great game, top 3 in the series easily. I saw the big case 5 twist coming a mile away but there were still plenty of other things to be surprised about. Honestly I thought the game gradually and gradually improved as time went on. I did not enjoy Case 1 very much and while I liked the beat by beat plot points of case 2 the game's method of reaching them completely infuriated me. But then Case 3 was pretty rock solid and the finale proved to be one of the more competently done final cases in the series.

Also surprised I actually started to give an iota of a shit about Apollo. I could not care less about AA4 (actually forgot
Klavier existed and so the random German made me think Francisca for some unknown reason
). No surprise that also means I'm ecstatic they managed to scrub the Gramarye taint off the series almost completely, that family is the fucking worst.

NotLiquid

That was a spectacular case. What a fucking fantastic game. Ace Attorney stormed back with a vengeance, and it was well worth the wait.

I can safely say it ranks up there with the best, almost tied with AA3.

Sorian

Banned
Did anyone else think the witness testimony writing was really weak this time around? Just compare any of them to Sahwit's first testimony, there's almost a world of difference.

That's true, it's almost like a 5 year old wrote Sahwit's testimony for him.

Theorymon

vHUguGk.gif

aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

NO

NO

NO FUCKING WAY

AAAAAAAGKJFDGHKJDFGHJDKFHGKJDFHGKJDHFGKJH

OH MY FUCKING G-

HOW THE FUCK

WHAT THE

HOW THE FUCK DID THEY PULL THIS OFF

I CAN'T

This is why I'm hanging around this thread. The reactions to case 5 are a joy to watch =)

Hcoregamer00

I can safely say it ranks up there with the best, almost tied with AA3.

I think it is consensus among the people who played the game that the franchise is back. AA4 was too weak because Apollo was overshadowed by Phoenix. This time around, the three main defense attorneys felt like a genuine team. Phoenix as the mentor, Apollo as the understudy, and Athena as the newbie. They pulled it off incredibly well and all three characters had a chance to shine.

AA4 felt like a poor reboot, but a good game. AA5 felt like it was truly the successor of AA1-3 in terms of characters, pacing, storytelling, and unique music.

I can't say it enough, but AA5 is REALLY GOOD.

First day of Case 3's trial, after the Mood Matrix part.

What?

Seriously, what? Holy shit, I can't believe that just happened.

Robin Newman being a girl was a complete blindside. I can't even process that. And then she just changes in personality so much, it's hilarious.

This game.

Moonlight

Banned
Hrm. Juniper... Junie... June... June!

tumblr_llq4bzxK6w1qgxae2.gif

Knew there had to be a reason why she felt so immediately familiar. Both of them are sickly, too!

...I can't be the only one seeing this, can I?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Aaand finished case 3.

Great case!

Man, the transition to 3D has been good to AA, the things they're doing now are amazing. Case 3 villain testimony was MAGNIFICIENT and everything that happened there.

Also I can't believe they went and namedropped
tactical spionage action
... that was a bit heavy handed but ok.

Allright, so far I'm very happy with the game, my only dislike that there's way less freedom during investigations. I don't necessarily say I miss the pixel hunting, but during trial the game is 100% linear and the investigation segments offered some freedom even if at the end of the day you had to do this to remove this psych lock, which allowed you to remove another. The process of having to try things and finding things was sorta freeform. In one word, the game's more on rails during the investigation segments.

Athena is growing on me - I still dislike her design, but she's an awesome sidekick. I'm glad there's no more babysitting the Feys.

rekameohs

Banned
Finished case 4

Something tells me that forged evidence is going to make a reappearance with Athena's blood and I wonder what that means for Phoenix since he used it in his defense again.

CorvoSol

I beat it and I have two main complaints:

-The errors. Like, seriously at one point Trucy says "Dadddy". There are so many and they are at times so obvious that I truly hope Capcom goes back and fixes them.

-The objection voices. Excluding Apollo and Simon, the other voices felt off. Like Phoenix I was okay with, but Athena felt rushed, and it is hard to accept anything but that amazing Payne Shriek. Worst of all was
Edgeworth.
He sounded like an old man.

Those are the complaints. The rest of the game was flipping amazing and I loved it and I won't deny that I cried a few times in that last case, squealed like a fan girl a bunch of times, and of course
became rabid for a sixth game the moment that Pearl announced that Maya was planning on visiting soon.

I must recant an earlier complaint about the Dark Age of the Law. I had previously felt that pinning it on Simon made it a very late-stage thing, since the Law's been pretty corrupt since
Manfred von Karma shot Gregory Edgeworth.
However, when
they tied Phoenix's disbarment into it as well, it made more sense. Because as corrupt as things were before Phoenix was disbarred, after he was it became much worse. I think that was what they were going for there. That the PIC and Kristoph Gavin's schemes were the opening acts, and that the conviction of Simon Blackquill, was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. That after the scandals with von Karma, and Gant, and to a lesser extent Godot, Gavin and the PIC happen, and Blackquill is the last nail.

What I enjoyed most, though, was that this last case addressed a major concern I, and I'm certain others, had with AA4:
Phoenix's friends never abandoned him. Maya and Pearl have been to the office as frequently as they can, and Edgeworth even goes to see Trucy's performances. Phoenix's friends were always with him, even if we don't see them in AA4. There were people all over pulling for him, all the time.

This game is so good. I need an AA6 now.

flowsnake

It's really annoying when the log breaks and shows blank messages. They finally implemented that feature, and it doesn't work properly...

zruben

Banned
Hrm. Juniper... Junie... June... June!

tumblr_llq4bzxK6w1qgxae2.gif

Knew there had to be a reason why she felt so immediately familiar. Both of them are sickly, too!

...I can't be the only one seeing this, can I?

LOL, I thought the same... I even googled because I sweared that June was also called "Juniper"...

Sorian

Banned
Thinking on it more now, there was no witness in this game that I genuinly disliked because they were a dumb or unneeded character (read as: there were no Wendy Oldbags in this game).

Beth Cyra

Finished case 3.

Still can't stand Athena and its only getting worse. Will have to really check future games to see how much of a role she has to see if I buy the game.

That said I loooooooooove Robin and Hugh. So many feels for these two. Easily my fav characters since Miles and Wendy.

Sorian

Banned
Finished case 3.

Still can't stand Athena and its only getting worse. Will have to really check future games to see how much of a role she has to see if I buy the game.

That said I loooooooooove Robin and Hugh. So many feels for these two. Easily my fav characters since Miles and Wendy.

Yeesh, no accounting for bad taste.

Krabboss

I just finished case 3 as well. I've liked Athena the whole game and she was better than ever in case 3. She's not amazing or anything, but I don't find anything disagreeable about her.

Anyway, the case is definitely the best in the game so far, but I've got some complaints. Wall of text comin' up and it's doubtful anybody will care or read it, but I wanted to write this down before I forgot.

The world felt really small in it.

You expect me to believe nobody except Hugh noticed that Professor Means wasn't sitting in full view on his balcony at any point during the trial, INCLUDING when he was giving a speech?

You also expect me to believe that not a single soul would skip out on the fake trial, for whatever reason? Look, I'm assuming there's a fair amount of kids and professors (the fact we only hear of two professors and not a murmur from the headmaster was weird too) at that school and you're telling me the police interviewed and got a solid alibi from every single one of them? Whenever anybody spewed "The only people who could have walked freely around the campus were those participating in the fake trial!" I just thought "... you actually believe that?"

During the investigation of the art room, none of the police noticed the clock being forward an hour. I know Fullbright is an idiot, but police investigations are conducted by more than one person. It was just a really unnecessary reveal in the plot that made it all feel so dumb.

Also concerning the art room, Professor Courte was apparently careless enough to leave notes about the case around for everybody to see but the only two to notice were Robin and Professor Means. Again, with how often everybody says only two people could have known about the case, you'd think SOMEBODY would have mentioned the notes sooner. Especially Robin, considering she considers herself Junie's friend.

And unrelated to the small worldy-ness: Hugh never really acts to protect Junie until you do the therapy session stuff. When he says afterwards that he thought testifying would help Junie it was a bit of "Huh?" moment.

I know a few of these could be boiled down to time and budget constraints but they could be solved with a faceless police officer chiming in that their investigation turned up whatever information.

Beth Cyra

Yeesh, no accounting for bad taste.
Whatever. This kinda shit is really old though.

Wendy is great because she gets under Miles skin like no one else. Just writing off my thoughts in such a dismisive way is fucking stupid, give me reasons you disagree not this drive by nonsense.

Sorian

Banned
Whatever. This kinda shit is really old though.

Wendy is great because she gets under Miles skin like no one else. Just writing off my thoughts in such a dismisive way is fucking stupid, give me reasons you disagree not this drive by nonsense.

As I actually said above you original post, Wendy is a dumb and unneeded character. Her only role was as a witness and she honestly comes off as a waste of space. Sure, she is fine in her own original case but making any type of come back after that? Completely dumb and unneccesary. It would be like if out little tanuki from case 2 came back as a witness in a later case. Hopefully that was a little less "drive-by" for you.

Beth Cyra

As I actually said above you original post, Wendy is a dumb and unneeded character. Her only role was as a witness and she honestly comes off as a waste of space. Sure, she is fine in her own original case but making any type of come back after that? Completely dumb and unneccesary. It would be like if out little tanuki from case 2 came back as a witness in a later case. Hopefully that was a little less "drive-by" for you.
It is. Clearly I disagree, but I can see where your coming from.

zruben

Banned
Reposting for answer:

well, it's tricky with this kind of games... I think both are about the same lenght, probably AA1 feels "longer" because AA4 it's a little easier (in my opinion at least).

about your other question, according to this article (shack news, don't know how reliable it is), the free DLC will be available until november 7... after that, it will cost 99 cents.

Gartooth

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?! LJKLDHSFKLAHFKLFLJFKSJFKLAHAL:JDFKLFJK

Jesus, that plot twist in case 5 takes the cake for the craziest batshit lunatic unpredictable developments in an Ace Attorney game, I just can't comprehend right now...good lord. The amount of fucking preparation they had to accommodate for in the script to pull that off, -- SHEESH

Shengar

What's that? DRAW 999/ACE ATTORNEY CROSSOVER ART YOU SAY?!?

You should hope Tatsurou Iwamoto meet Kinu Nishimura somewhere in a conference or expo so we can get "official" crossover art of Ace Attorney/999.
That FEA/AA crossover art because Yuusuke Kozaki and Tatsurou Iwamoto met together in Japan Expo is awesome, and should be repeated as much as possible.

Sorian

Banned
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?! LJKLDHSFKLAHFKLFLJFKSJFKLAHAL:JDFKLFJK

Jesus, that plot twist in case 5 takes the cake for the craziest batshit lunatic unpredictable developments in an Ace Attorney game, I just can't comprehend right now...good lord. The amount of fucking preparation they had to accommodate for in the script to pull that off, -- SHEESH

It's funny because if you really think about it, they really didn't need to do a whole lot in the script to prepare for the twist, at least IMO.

Top Bottom