• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Neol

How do you guys feel about not being able to examine freely anymore?

I'm kinda sad about it. Guess it helps since a problem in the past games was trying to find that single piece of evidence to progress forward and having no idea where it was placed. Still, I miss the witty/ funny comments from examining certain objects unrelated to the case.

How do you guys feel about not being able to examine freely anymore?

I'm kinda sad about it. Guess it helps since a problem in the past games was trying to find that single piece of evidence to progress forward and having no idea where it was placed. Still, I miss the witty/ funny comments from examining certain objects unrelated to the case.

I prefer it. It puts more of a focus on the court parts than the terrible adventure game-lite parts.

FluxWaveZ

I'm pretty sure that ends with him saying "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge!". lol

Yeah. I think I remember a blog post from the localization director stating how there are no swears in the game particularly because they did not anticipate an M rating.

NotLiquid

Yeah. I think I remember a blog post from the localization director stating how there are no swears in the game particularly because they did not anticipate an M rating.

Ironically the previous games have contained variances of "hell", and once even got away with using the word "bastard", yet they still got T ratings.

Muppety

Finally finished it this evening. It was more than I could have hoped for and
way more bonkers than I was expecting.
Everything from presentation to gameplay was just wonderful.
Fantastic entry overall - including case 2; I honestly didn't mind it and it's far from being the worst case in the series.

I'm glad my love for the series overcame my disdain for Nintendo's lack of a proper account system. Even bought a copy for my girlfriend on her 3DS while she wasn't looking! She's yet to get through the original trilogy though, so hopefully she won't find out for a while...

Moonlight

Banned
Ironically the previous games have contained variances of "hell", and once even got away with using the word "bastard", yet they still got T ratings.
Man, the ESRB is ridiculously schizophrenic about this stuff. I still can't fathom how Uncharted gets away with tons of 'shits' and neck-snapping and blood and gets away with a T-rating.

Also, that's a rad avatar. What's the art for that?

NotLiquid

omg I'm in the process of making her my new avatar *O*

I was going to make an avatar of a great picture of her I found unmasked but fucking spoilers. WHY DOES SHE HAVE TO BE SUCH A CUTIE, URGH

But yes. I consider her the best female NPC.

Jinxie comes close though.

Man, the ESRB is ridiculously schizophrenic about this stuff. I still can't fathom how Uncharted gets away with tons of 'shits' and neck-snapping and blood and gets away with a T-rating.

Also, that's a rad avatar. What's the art for that?

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=38433163

Blackquil just became my favorite Prosecutor in the series after this line from case 4

very very minor spoilers

Blackquil: Yes your honor, you have now discovered the witnesses' dark secret that he is in fact a ghost who can phase though walls

/dead

would've felt weird to have phoenix&co drop f-bombs anyways. i prefer it this way, as goofy as it is.

i also kinda just like the concept of having a rated M game in which characters yell
"FUUUUUUUDGE"

FluxWaveZ

would've felt weird to have phoenix&co drop f-bombs anyways. i prefer it this way, as goofy as it is.

Yeah, I think they also mentioned that they wouldn't have abused swearing even if they knew their rating beforehand. It would feel out of place for this series, outside of maybe a select few instances.

Can't think of a moment in AA5 where it would have made a scene more impactful.

NotLiquid

Someone also said there was a DMC reference in case 2. Anyone care to tell me what that one was?

When you get to Nine-Tails Vale, you can talk to Trucy about the monster craze that's going on. She suggests that the Wright Anything Agency jump onto the fad and that Apollo and Phoenix should become a comedy duo called "Agni & Rudra".

The text was also color coded.

Shouta

What was it?

Someone also said there was a DMC reference in case 2. Anyone care to tell me what that one was?

In the name of the moon, I'll punish you. Just paraphrased into a quip.

Agni and Rudra are Hindu gods but in this case, yeah it was a DMC reference.

They also snuck in a Tron Bonne reference.

Finished Case 2 and now one Case 3 Investigation day 1.

I did not see the twist with the
mayor being the amazing nine-tails coming

I loved the logic connecting at the end. I hope it becomes a staple.

Time to search for clues.

A box, hope it is not a SSSNNNNAAAAKKKKEEE.

Case 3 is off to a great start. Also nice to have the dark age of law explained.

Just finished case 4

c319f15e1e9a78f4b4dc098a6c6aa1.gif

rekameohs

Banned
Case 5 Trial 1 Mood Matrix

"Something's wrong with mommy, so I'm taking her apart to fix her" and the accompanying image
is probably the most frightening thing to appear in an Ace Attorney game.

Sorian

Banned
Case 5 Trial 1 Mood Matrix

"Something's wrong with mommy, so I'm taking her apart to fix her" and the accompanying image
is probably the most frightening thing to appear in an Ace Attorney game.

That's not even the most nightmarish thing you are going to see in the next few hours.

So, I guess I finished it.

Overall, I didn't like it as much as Apollo Justice. I'm probably one of the few people who actually enjoyed AJ a lot, (seems to be the series black sheep) and
wanted more of the loose ends from that game tied up in this one.
. Ah well. It wasn't a bad game, but
case five in this one just didn't feel as weighty as the big end cases in all of the other games. Having a faceless villain didn't help either.

As far as characters go,
Robin and Director Cosmos were great. Aura Blackquill was fun too. Dat robot abuse. Jinxie was pretty good too, and Pearls. Oh, Pearls. Hopefully, Maya will be in either the DLC cases or will have a big role in the next game. It was good to see her, even if it was only a photo, I was also hopping for a few other cameos from the original trilogy. Where's my Lotta Hart?

I'll give it a solid 8/10. Case 3 was the high point of the game for me, personally.

rekameohs

Banned
And speaking of that Case 5 Mood Matrix sequence,
I thought it was by far the best one in the game. Before the game's release, I had asked if the Mood Matrix and any good scenes surrounding it, and none of them really gelled with me until this one. Alternating between presenting and spotting the emotions was a fun gameplay moment, and I liked how the noise level was fluctuating, culminating in the "all emotions going crazy" finish.

Really one of my favorite little gameplay sections of the series.

Wazzy

Banned
Case 3
Professor Means is terrifying. I mean he was originally but his new look is worse

Almost done this case.

Phoenix's voice actor was changed :(

Anyway the game made a good first impression, though the mood matrix seemed a little childish. I like it though.

NotLiquid

Phoenix's voice actor was changed :(

Anyway the game made a good first impression, though the mood matrix seemed a little childish. I like it though.

Ben Judd isn't with Capcom anymore unfortunately so they had to do with his UMvC3 voice actor. That said I doubt they'd get just get interns hanging around for voiced cutscenes rather than professionals. With the few voice clips of the previous games it was actually understandable.

No

Don't go there Ace Attorney

:(

Don't do it

Don't tell me 5-5 Trial spoilers
Athena tried to "fix" her mommy after she died by putting her on the robot table

feels I don't want D:

Edit: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Fey

Banned
So, I guess I finished it.

Overall, I didn't like it as much as Apollo Justice. I'm probably one of the few people who actually enjoyed AJ a lot, (seems to be the series black sheep) and
wanted more of the loose ends from that game tied up in this one.

I, too, was kinda of disappointed in this but I read a post on court-records where someone said they believe that
the team behind this game wanted to leave some of the bigger stuff (loose ends from AA4 and the return of Maya) for Shu Takumi to explore when he returned to the series.
It's just someone's speculation, but I hope it's true! D:

And the most nightmare-fueling thing in this game imo was [case 5]
pic of phantom wearing the Japanese mask. *shudder*

Top Bottom